Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reds sign Willy Taveras
From Cincinnati Enquirer: http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll...innati.com

The Reds signed outfielder Willy Taveras to a two-year deal. Taveras, who will probably be the Opening Day center fielder/ leadoff man, hit .251 last year for Colorado and led the majors in stolen bases.
Good Signee for the Reds. I was happy with this deal...Cant wait for the season to start.
I feel sorry for him.
I hope he does well but I believe the Reds need to work on that pitching staff.
guyfawkes Wrote:I hope he does well but I believe the Reds need to work on that pitching staff.
Really? The Reds have a rotation of Harang, Arroyo, Volquez, Cueto, and Owings. I don't think there is a team out there with more potential at SP than the Reds. We all know what Harang can do, but he was hurt for most of the year. Arroyo is a great 3 with Volquez being the 2. Volquez is coming off an unbelievable year and looks to add to his 17 wins from last year. Cueto has the stuff to be fantastic and Owings is a nice 5 man to have in your rotation. He is also very good with the bat. I love the way the Reds starting rotation looks going into Spring Training.

As far as relief pitching, they could use a little work but still have Burton, Bray, Weathers, and Massett. Not to mention their $100M+ closer in Cordero.

The thing the Reds really need is a consistent leadoff man, which they seem to have gotten in Taveras, and another power hitting righty to play in the OF. I thought they should have gone after Matt Holiday personally, but hopefully they can snag someone in the FA market.

I think the team looks pretty stout heading into offseason workouts.
BCF4L Wrote:Really? The Reds have a rotation of Harang, Arroyo, Volquez, Cueto, and Owings. I don't think there is a team out there with more potential at SP than the Reds. We all know what Harang can do, but he was hurt for most of the year. Arroyo is a great 3 with Volquez being the 2. Volquez is coming off an unbelievable year and looks to add to his 17 wins from last year. Cueto has the stuff to be fantastic and Owings is a nice 5 man to have in your rotation. He is also very good with the bat. I love the way the Reds starting rotation looks going into Spring Training.

As far as relief pitching, they could use a little work but still have Burton, Bray, Weathers, and Massett. Not to mention their $100M+ closer in Cordero.

The thing the Reds really need is a consistent leadoff man, which they seem to have gotten in Taveras, and another power hitting righty to play in the OF. I thought they should have gone after Matt Holiday personally, but hopefully they can snag someone in the FA market.

I think the team looks pretty stout heading into offseason workouts.

You think that Weathers' still has it don't you? Wrong. I can't stand watching him pitch. The only thing that is consistent about him is blown saves.
BCF4L Wrote:Really? The Reds have a rotation of Harang, Arroyo, Volquez, Cueto, and Owings. I don't think there is a team out there with more potential at SP than the Reds. We all know what Harang can do, but he was hurt for most of the year. Arroyo is a great 3 with Volquez being the 2. Volquez is coming off an unbelievable year and looks to add to his 17 wins from last year. Cueto has the stuff to be fantastic and Owings is a nice 5 man to have in your rotation. He is also very good with the bat. I love the way the Reds starting rotation looks going into Spring Training.

Jshort5 Wrote:You think that Weathers' still has it don't you? Wrong. I can't stand watching him pitch. The only thing that is consistent about him is blown saves.

Weathers does still have it, and I would say that he is one of the better setup men in the league. His stats from 2008: 3.25 ERA, 19 Holds, and only 4 Blown Saves. Doesn't sound too bad to me. Now, I wouldn't make him my closer, but in the 7th/8th inning role he should be just fine.

And I agree with BCF4L that the Reds will lean on their pitching this year. The pen has the potential to be one of baseball's best, with Cordero at the back end and a slew of good setup men in front. Remember, the Reds just signed Arthur Rhodes (2.04 ERA, 24 Holds, murder on leftys) to add to an already solid group of Burton, Bray, and Weathers. Add in Massett and Lincoln as long men and you have a very impressive bullpen.

The rotation is not as solidified, although I think a healthy Harang bounces back and along with Volquez gives the Reds a 1-2 at the top to match up with anybody. Arroyo is decent as an innings-eater, and Cueto has the potential to be just as good if not better than Volquez. Owings will be the best 5th starter they have had in a while.

The main question is will the team score enough runs to win? The additon of Willy Tavares certainly gives the team more speed at the top, but his on-base percentage was terrible last year. If he improves at getting on base, Votto and Bruce will be waiting to knock him in.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:Weathers does still have it, and I would say that he is one of the better setup men in the league. His stats from 2008: 3.25 ERA, 19 Holds, and only 4 Blown Saves. Doesn't sound too bad to me. Now, I wouldn't make him my closer, but in the 7th/8th inning role he should be just fine.

And I agree with BCF4L that the Reds will lean on their pitching this year. The pen has the potential to be one of baseball's best, with Cordero at the back end and a slew of good setup men in front. Remember, the Reds just signed Arthur Rhodes (2.04 ERA, 24 Holds, murder on leftys) to add to an already solid group of Burton, Bray, and Weathers. Add in Massett and Lincoln as long men and you have a very impressive bullpen.

The rotation is not as solidified, although I think a healthy Harang bounces back and along with Volquez gives the Reds a 1-2 at the top to match up with anybody. Arroyo is decent as an innings-eater, and Cueto has the potential to be just as good if not better than Volquez. Owings will be the best 5th starter they have had in a while.

The main question is will the team score enough runs to win? The additon of Willy Tavares certainly gives the team more speed at the top, but his on-base percentage was terrible last year. If he improves at getting on base, Votto and Bruce will be waiting to knock him in.
If Taveras has a season like 07 instead of 08 then I think the Reds could do some damage this year. All of this considering Harang is back to his usual form of course.
BCF4L Wrote:If Taveras has a season like 07 instead of 08 then I think the Reds could do some damage this year. All of this considering Harang is back to his usual form of course.

I just hope he doesn't turn out to be the second coming of Corey Patterson... :eek:
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:I just hope he doesn't turn out to be the second coming of Corey Patterson... :eek:
What would be wrong with that?

Smile
they had to sign someone they dealt away the most versatile player in baseball right now in ryan freel