Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1989: AAA Region 1 Championship Game - Paducah Tilghman 7 v Bowling Green 6 (4 OTS!)
So I am working on a pretty big project to compile all KY HS football history into a single database and as I am working through 1989 I found this gem.

Someone who knows about this game please give me the skinny. I know from my research that going into ths game that PT was considered 1st or 2nd in the class depending on what poll or rating you are looking at and Bowling Green was about 3rd.

What went down? Four overtimes and final score of 7-6 on the books? So these two teams scored 27 (PT) and 49 (BG) in round 1 and held each other 0-0 for 7 quarters? Was it bad weather or just one hell of a defensive ball game?
That’s serious defense right there.
I remember playing a game in HS vs Russell county, where we won 2-0. Nothing compared to this game of course, but it was a defensive battle!!
1985 Lone Oak beat Heath 2-0 to win the County Championship. The last time Lone Oak would beat Heath until 96.
Very windy and cold according to the Paducah newspaper's game story. Bowling Green went 0-for-14 passing with two picks. Newspaper also refers to the game being a two-overtime game rather than four.
dodger Wrote:Very windy and cold according to the Paducah newspaper's game story. Bowling Green went 0-for-14 passing with two picks. Newspaper also refers to the game being a two-overtime game rather than four.

Interesting info thanks. Not sure why the KHSAA bracket I have for the game has four OTs, have to track that a little more.

The stats I have for the game are
Paducah Tilghman
First Downs: 15
Rushing Attempts: 42
Rushing Yards: 125
Passing: 12-23-3
Passing Yards: 162
Total Yards: 287
Penalties: 9-120

Bowling Green
First Downs: 8
Rushing Attempts: 43
Rushing Yards: 130
Passing: 0-14-2
Passing Yards: 0
Total Yards: 130
Penalties: 7-79
Going back to the Friday newspaper and it was a brutal forecast around game time. Temps in the low 20's with 15 mph winds. Shoot me a PM and I'd be glad to send you the game story that I've got if you need it.