Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Larry the Cable guy not really a redneck? He is from Nebraska. Old stand up Video
His real name is Dan Whitney from Nebraska.

From Wikipedia
Quote:Daniel Lawrence Whitney (born February 17, 1963 in Pawnee City, Nebraska), better known by the stage name Larry the Cable Guy, is a stand up comedian, actor, and one of the co-stars of the Blue Collar Comedy Tour and the subsequent series Blue Collar TV. He starred in the feature-length movie Larry the Cable Guy: Health Inspector, provided his voice to star in the animated film Cars as Mater, its subsequent video game and its short film sequel Mater and the Ghostlight, and presently stars alongside close friend Bill Engvall in the film Delta Farce.
Whitney grew up in Pawnee City, Nebraska; he moved to Palm Beach County, Florida with his family when he was 16 where he attended Berean Christian School. His father, a preacher who once played guitar with the Everly Brothers, worked as the principal of the nearby Berean Christian Elementary School. Whitney worked at Wendy's until 1985, when he began doing stand-up comedy with other West Palm Beach locals like buddy Jamie Porter. He continued his career at the Comedy Club in Blue Springs, Missouri, on amateur nights at the encouragement of friends and coworkers. In 1991, he began doing radio comedy, where he would call into stations as fictional characters. The "Larry" character was created after a friend from one of the stations asked him to call in as a cable installer.
[youtube="Before Larry"]VROn7ZvVoW8[/youtube]

[youtube="Another one"]tCJ7ESnjvHk[/youtube]

I will be honest, I was not aware that Larry wasn't a real redneck. One reason I liked him so much is because I thought he was genuine redneck. I wish I would have never found out this information because his acts now will not be as funny to me.

Anyone one of you aware of this?SadSad
These videos make me sick to my stomach. Smile
All I can say is Dan is one hell of a actor!

[YOUTUBE="Larry the cable guy"]hpUtMqumvu0[/YOUTUBE]
yeah I seen on CMT one night they had all of them showing the making of the Blue Comedy Tour, and although his accent wasnt anything like the one he uses on stage, it IS very different. Its not like his old stand up though, lol..Jeez..that accent is almost offensive, lol..
Don't you believe there are real rednecks in Nebraska???

I've met real rednecks from Michigan...they're everywhere.
He is a talent, and these videos prove it all! Anyone who can change that much is talent.
Still pretty funny regardless, lol.
[double post
FOX SPORTS Wrote:Don't you believe there are real rednecks in Nebraska???

I've met real rednecks from Michigan...they're everywhere.

Sure I believe and agree with you that rednecks are everywhere. However, all the years watching Larry or Dan, I thought he was just an old funny country boy. He was so good on the stage that I was convinced he was a genuine redneck. Smile

Gotta give the man props for his acting skills.
Saw those videos a while back and haven't had the same love for Larry since then. Every time I see him now I just think of the fact that he's acting and not really like that. It's kind of troubling.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Well I still find him funny but like alfus said he was just acting and now that we know that it just wont fell the same.
calQlate Wrote:His real name is Dan Whitney from Nebraska.

So he's not a real redneck because ... he's from Nebraska?!?

:lmao:

Dude, seriously ... have you never been to Nebraska? Smile
TomSportsHack Wrote:So he's not a real redneck because ... he's from Nebraska?!?

No, but those videos show how much of a true redneck he really is. Not one at all.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
On a related note, Tom Selleck isn't really a private detective from Hawai'i.
TomSportsHack Wrote:So he's not a real redneck because ... he's from Nebraska?!?

I have never been to Nebraska. I wasn't insinuating that Nebraska was a redneck free state. However, most people associate "redneck" with southern states, right? Would you deny that as a fact? Last time I checked Nebraska wasn't a southern state. Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't Nebraska located in the Central United States?

According to Wikipedia's definition of a redneck (2007):
In modern usage, redneck predominantly refers to a particular stereotype of whites from the Southern United States. The word can be used either as a pejorative or as a matter of pride, depending on context. See also Hillbilly

I think my interpretation of a redneck is slightly different than yours. When I think of redneck, I associate it with someone with a strong southern drawl to their accent.

To my knowledge people in Nebraska don't have a southern drawl.

Sure, Dan/Larry might be from Nebraska, he might have 6 shotguns in the window of his 74 pickup, drink 3 cases of beer daily, and killed numerous 15 point + buck's. However, with that accent, at best, I label him a funny talking country boy. Smile

Is the accent used in the early videos the typical sounding accent that you would hear in the majority of Nebraska? If so, there are very few rednecks(by my definition) in Nebraska.
This doesn't really change my opinion of him any. I always thought he was kinda funny, but my favorite comedian on the Blue Collar movies was always Ron White, then Bill Engvall. I would still put him above Foxworthy, though.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Redneck

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search
“Rednecks” redirects here. For the band, see Rednex.
Contents

[hide] //Redneck, in modern usage, predominantly refers to a particular stereotype of people who may be found in many regions of the United States or Canada. Originally limited to the Appalachians and the American South, and later the Ozarks and Rocky Mountains, this stereotype is now widespread in other states and the Canadian provinces. The word can be used either as a pejorative or as a matter of pride.
he is still funny even if he is a yankee get er done.
y aint he a redneck nebraska is in the still redneck country
I like Larry the Cable and everthing but where I like he is like EVERONE'S favorite comedian so it gets a little annoying hearing everyone saying "GIT R DUN".
or seeing Git r Dun stickers parading across the windshield of somebodys new Honda Civic, lol..
Scotty doesn't know Wrote:I like Larry the Cable and everthing but where I like he is like EVERONE'S favorite comedian so it gets a little annoying hearing everyone saying "GIT R DUN".
TidesHoss32 Wrote:or seeing Git r Dun stickers parading across the windshield of somebodys new Honda Civic, lol..

And when you say, "Across the windshield of their car" you literally mean ACROSS THEIR WINDSHIELD to the point that they probably can't drive safely. lol Smile Only in eastern Kentucky.... and Tennesee....and South Carolina...ah screw it, the whole south!
TidesHoss32 Wrote:or seeing Git r Dun stickers parading across the windshield of somebodys new Honda Civic, lol..

I can't stand those stickers either. Or T-shirts with the slogan on them, for that matter. It kills me because if you read the saying as it is written, it would actually be pronounced, "Git - are - done". Just bugs me, but apparently I'm the only one...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:I can't stand those stickers either. Or T-shirts with the slogan on them, for that matter. It kills me because if you read the saying as it is written, it would actually be pronounced, "Git - are - done". Just bugs me, but apparently I'm the only one...

Did you meant "I'm not the only one?" because Hoss and me were talking earlier how we can't stand those stickers. So man I don't think your the only one. ; )
Scotty doesn't know Wrote:Did you meant "I'm not the only one?" because Hoss and me were talking earlier how we can't stand those stickers. So man I don't think your the only one. ; )

No, what I meant is that I'm probably the only one who gets irritated by the "R" in the saying, be it on car stickers or t-shirts. It's just a grammar issue. I believe the correct way to have it would be " Git 'er done!" where the 'er is short for her.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:No, what I meant is that I'm probably the only one who gets irritated by the "R" in the saying, be it on car stickers or t-shirts. It's just a grammar issue. I believe the correct way to have it would be " Git 'er done!" where the 'er is short for her.

AH I see!! I got ya man. I will just say the whole entire thing irritates me :redboxer: Now Dane Cook that is a comedian.
The guy who played Bo Duke was from NEW YORK. The guy who played Jed Clampett was from California as were Merle Haggard and Buck Owens. All these guys are redneck ICONs and none of them come from the south so whats the big deal? Larry the Cable Guy is a PERFORMER and his act is that of a redneck comedian and a dang funny one at that.
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:The guy who played Bo Duke was from NEW YORK. The guy who played Jed Clampett was from California as were Merle Haggard and Buck Owens. All these guys are redneck ICONs and none of them come from the south so whats the big deal? Larry the Cable Guy is a PERFORMER and his act is that of a redneck comedian and a dang funny one at that.

I don't think that his routine is bad or anything. I think he is very funny. I just hate that some many people have to mock his actions on stage and walk around saying nothing but Git R Dun. If he would just limit how many times he said the freakin phrase then I think it would get better.
Scotty doesn't know Wrote:I don't think that his routine is bad or anything. I think he is very funny. I just hate that some many people have to mock his actions on stage and walk around saying nothing but Git R Dun. If he would just limit how many times he said the freakin phrase then I think it would get better.
Well thats OK youre entitled to youre opinion and I respect it. I wasnt saying anything about what you said I was commenting on the original quote in this thread about him not being a "Real Redneck". By the way scotty GIT R DONE LOL!