Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where have all the kickers gone?
Three state championship games so far. Three games where a missed XP or FG affected how the game was played or even the overall outcome.

I wish I could say this is an anomaly with these title games, but it seems like all year there are just fewer teams with real top notch kickers anymore. It seems like it is happening at the college level also, where the kickers are becoming less and less "reliable" for lack of a better word.

So is it just me or does it actually seem that football is starting to veer away from prioritizing good kicking. Or is it simply that there aren't as many good kickers out there anymore. When I played we always had a pretty good kicker, but that player was also a soccer player that came out for us to kick. So maybe we're just seeing of less of the crossover at the high school level?

Any thoughts on this?
Goal posts narrower on college field. Hard for kids to adjust in one week.
On the soccer teams maybe lol.

I assume soccer season is a spring sport but have no idea...if so i guess kids can play both sports.
E's Army Wrote:Goal posts narrower on college field. Hard for kids to adjust in one week.

4 ft 10 inches?
Beechwood's kicker was a first year football player, was previously a soccer player. He made 3 HUGE pats yesterday.
E's Army Wrote:Goal posts narrower on college field. Hard for kids to adjust in one week.

Right, and that could explain the poor percentages this weekend. But I guess I'm wondering about the overall trend of kickers becoming less prioritized in high school football. I feel like I've seen more teams go for it on 4th down inside the 20 the past couple years than in years past.
Hey serious question here what about the kid you all had in middle school kicking 50-yarders? Was he still a middle schooler this year?
PHSFAN Wrote:On the soccer teams maybe lol.

I assume soccer season is a spring sport but have no idea...if so i guess kids can play both sports.

Unfortunately, soccer is also a fall sport. I hate that because it forces kids, like my son to choose between the two.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
PHSFAN Wrote:On the soccer teams maybe lol.

Soccer is a fall sport.
Jarons Wrote:Unfortunately, soccer is also a fall sport. I hate that because it forces kids, like my son to choose between the two.

Danville’s kicker played both last year.
I know at Johnson Central our last 4 kickers have all played both soccer and football including Tyler Pack who had the state record in longest field goal and punt.
I just assumed soccer was a spring sport, that's what I get for assuming Smile

Would be pretty cool if the kids are given the opportunity by the coaches and schools to play both if they want too.
Special teams can make or break a team. Not just the kicking but the coverage and return aspects as well. A good special teams coach is worth its weight in gold, imo. I have a son that's shown interest in kicking. He is 9. Already looking for camps for him, to start developing things early on. Long snappers are a huge part of it all as well. One of the many positions that go unnoticed especially at the collegiate and pro levels.
Hatz Wrote:Danville’s kicker played both last year.

Not all soccer players are kickers on the football team.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jarons Wrote:Not all soccer players are kickers on the football team.

But a large amount of them are.
Soccer and golf.

Not sure on the other games, but in the Sat afternoon game, I believe weather was a factor.
A lot of people complain about having a soccer team, but I think it can benefit the football team.
Would love for soccer to be a spring sport
pjdoug Wrote:4 ft 10 inches?

Correct it's 23 feet 4inches to 18 feet 6 inches in college.
Rebel55 Wrote:Correct it's 23 feet 4inches to 18 feet 6 inches in college.

I thought so but wasn't sure. Thanks for the reply.
KYHSFB Wrote:Would love for soccer to be a spring sport

That would be nice for sure.
I know 2 coaches in Lexington who would go to the soccer teams and recruit kickers.
Don't see why it would be a problem doing both if all you are going to do is kick. Soccer games are not usually on Friday's due to football so they could play soccer all week and kick footballs on Friday night's. Not a bad gig at all! Smile Could get some practice in during the week on nights they are not at soccer games. Would definitely be a great help to a lot of teams.
Young kids take notice. Start practicing kicking field goals and punting. It's a lost art and any good kicker can pick what college they want to go to
Patriot train Wrote:Don't see why it would be a problem doing both if all you are going to do is kick. Soccer games are not usually on Friday's due to football so they could play soccer all week and kick footballs on Friday night's. Not a bad gig at all! Smile Could get some practice in during the week on nights they are not at soccer games. Would definitely be a great help to a lot of teams.

Our guys would always come to practice right after school. Kick field goals and run special teams with the team until about 4 and then head over to soccer practice. Worked out great for everyone IMO. I guess that is requiring coaches from different sports to work together and give a little, which may be part of the problem at some schools.
Superfly Wrote:Young kids take notice. Start practicing kicking field goals and punting. It's a lost art and any good kicker can pick what college they want to go to

That would be a 100% false statement. Very few schools give kickers scholarships and those that get them have paid an arm and a leg to attend kicking camps throughout the country so that the camp sponsor can then push them on the college coaches.

That is why you see so many big time programs that have kickers that struggle. The coach did not recruit them, rather than contacted the camp coordinator they are associated with and asked for names of guys they could pursue. Many good kickers in this state and throughout the country have been overlooked because of that.
Patriot train Wrote:Don't see why it would be a problem doing both if all you are going to do is kick. Soccer games are not usually on Friday's due to football so they could play soccer all week and kick footballs on Friday night's. Not a bad gig at all! Smile Could get some practice in during the week on nights they are not at soccer games. Would definitely be a great help to a lot of teams.

without a doubt.
Must remember the goal posts aren’t as wide kicking at a college venue.