Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coach Mike Whitaker was at Powell yesterday???
wow!!! that was exhausting to read, yea u up a creek!!!
In talking with some teachers at Powell, they informed me that the state dept is coming in at the beginning of next school year. That is a difficult situation to be in as a teacher but even worse when you also coach since (from what I've heard from other schools that have had this happen) they do not care about your practice, games , etc. You have meetings, and a lot of them, and if you don't make it to practice until 6:30/7:00-or whatever time, then you just have to deal with it. That would make it much more difficult in a rural area where kids may not have rides to/from practice and may live 15 -20 miles from school. I just wish the new coach the best of luck and hope the kids don't give up too soon. The Coach cannot do it alone though guys. Daddy #62 it is up to you and your buddies to help the new coach be successful. Hang in there!
that should have happened along time ago at powell....the politics that runs that county will always be there until they bring in some outsiders that can clean it up. i hope they do because powell will never be competitive with all the politics that runs that place
Sometimes it's really hard for a smaller system to bring in a big name.... In a small system, there are 1)little turnover in staff to find jobs for the coach himself, his wife (maybe) and assistants. 2)$$$$ 3)And sometimes facilities/budget which is $$$$ 4)coaching salary $$$$....Guess it all boils down to the $! Next year all teachers will recieve a state mandated raise which will create an even greater financial strain on budgets. Hope everything works out, whomever steps in. :thumpsup:
yea mr smith resigned too .. there should be more support for sports now if they could get in a decent principal
what kind of offense does mike whitaker run? does ne one know? Will it work out with powell
Mr smith was a good principal.
JustTrying Wrote:Mr smith was a good principal.
:thatsfunn
there may be a chance of coach jones returning.
Daddy #62 Wrote::thatsfunn
there may be a chance of coach jones returning.

Returning as an assistant, or head coach?
breakingankles Wrote:what kind of offense does mike whitaker run? does ne one know? Will it work out with powell
Coach Whitaker runs the Rifle offense primarily. X,Y,T,Z spread and really likes to throw the pigskin. If you have seen Breathitt co. play since 1995 till the present, You have seen a version of the Mike Whitaker offense that he taught Mike Holcomb. It's the Fla. state offensive package. Smash, Mesh, Slap, Smoke and ect. Great offensive if you have a good quarterback and 4 guys who can catch the ball.
RUNNING DOWNHILL Wrote:Returning as an assistant, or head coach?
I see a total facelift to the program if Coach Whitaker accepts the job.
I'm sure coach Jones will pursue other coaching opportunities. It's not a good mix at all bringing a former head coach back under the new head coach.
There can only be 1 rooster in the hen house and I'm sure Powell's former coach will or has other opportunities.
RUNNING DOWNHILL Wrote:Returning as an assistant, or head coach?
head coach
What has caused him to rethink his previous decision? I'm assuming it may have something to do with the vacating principal, based on some other posts but I could be way off base on this.

Is there just talk of this maybe ocurring cause of recent events, or has he oficially declared these intentions?
i dont think that will happen unless whitaker turns it down
RUNNING DOWNHILL Wrote:What has caused him to rethink his previous decision? I'm assuming it may have something to do with the vacating principal, based on some other posts but I could be way off base on this.

Is there just talk of this maybe ocurring cause of recent events, or has he oficially declared these intentions?
I hear it from a very very good source. The principal didn't give support to the football team. So that may have some to do with it.
everybody in that town is a very very good source
Does ne body think that the new offense that coach whitaker brings with him will work? Powell has a good Qb and 5 or 6 ppl who have good hands and speed
Someone said that they saw him today at the powell and hazard game? Any truth to this
He was there talking with Monroe. I hope it was a great talk.
I seen a man that was around monroe the whole time. Was that Mike Whitaker. I wasnt for sure because i also seen the same man talking to Billy Rice. Might not of been the same people either.Jw
that was him for sure. I am positive.
Ok .. thx justtrying
Getum-Choppin Wrote:NO EARTHLY WAY, Mike Whitaker will take the job at Powell county, NO WAY.

Congratulations Powell County Football, as for you Gettum-Choppin, TongueirateSho :thatsfunn
Good job of recruiting MIke! Good luck to that program!