Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
David School Refusing To Play Ac In Espn The Mag!
How can David refuse to play anyone? lol
ACE Wrote:How can David refuse to play anyone? lol

Sad but true.
Nice posts LostBall.
Good,they should play because all of this is stupid!!
Yea, David has really just took it to far, I think its time to let the rebel flag thing die, who cares if there the rebels, (I dont) Plus, I think David is tired of losing. LOL
I'd say if they was worried about losing they would refuse to play valley or pikeville before ac
I guess its cool that david was in ESPN.
David needs to get rid of thier basketball program

Also Piarist.. they are a waste of time...
NO.NO ...David school and Piarist should have basketball teams. They are as equal as any school. Please do not hold these kids responisble for their Coach's action. They want an education just like you do, they like playing the sport... just like u do.
I really don't have a problem with the David school not wanting to play AC, and I dont have a problem with AC and the flag. However if i were a coach or administration and one of my kids was offended by comments, slurrs, or racist behavior by any school then I would see that as a potential problem.
David is a joke
The Navy Jack (colloquially called the "Rebel Flag")

[Image: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/co...29.svg.png] [Image: http://en.wikipedia.org/skins-1.5/common...y-clip.png]
The Navy Jack, 1863-1865

The Confederate Navy Jack, also called "The Southern Cross," is a rectangular precursor of the Battle Flag, usually about 5×3 feet. The blue color in the saltire (the diagonal cross) is much lighter than in the Battle Flag, and it was flown only on Confederate ships from 1863 to 1865.

The design was originally made by South Carolina Congressman William Porcher Miles with the intent to be the first national flag, but it was rejected by the Confederate government. Some critics supposedly scoffed at the design, saying it looked too much like crossed suspenders. While the square battle flag was widely used, the oblong version was also used by some army units, including the Army of Tennessee as their battle flag from 1864-1865. (After General Joseph Johnston took command of the Army of Tennessee from Braxton Bragg, he ordered its army-wide implementation to improve morale and avoid confusion.) Today, it is the most universally recognized symbol of the South, where it is commonly called the rebel or Dixie flag. This flag is often erroneously called "the Confederate Flag".
are the any minorities that go to Allen Central
REBEL:
A rebellion is, in the most general sense, a refusal to accept authority. It may therefore be seen as encompassing a range of behaviours from civil disobedience to a violent organized attempt to destroy established authority. It is often used in reference to armed resistance against an established government, but can also refer to mass nonviolent resistance movements. Those who participate in rebellions are known as "rebels".

Allen Central in no way presents it's self in an improper way by displaying the Rebel Flag. I think that if oposing schools don't want to play them because they don't consider them politically correct, they should suffer a loss for it.

It is a Rebel Flag and not a Confederate flag! :Thumbs: :Thumbs:
happyface Wrote:are the any minorities that go to Allen Central

What do you consider a minority?

A large portion of the people in Eastern Kentucky are related to Native Americans.

Talk about people who have a reason to be mad!
Definitions are great but, most people use the rebel flag as a symbol of Racism or being White. Not all, but the one's who use it for negative reasons are the ones who don't know the definition of Rebel Flag or Confederate Flag. I'm not say the coach isnt a idiot but I don't agree with the perception that the flag doesnt and shouldnt offend some people, but I guess when 90 percent of the teams that AC plays will have all white players on their teams, then it doesnt matter what the mascot is. If they are raising a fuss over native american mascots like, seminoles, redskins and indians than i'm sure the Rebel Flag can be up for debate. But it does not warrant canceling a game, just debate.
Tricky Wrote:What do you consider a minority?

A large portion of the people in Eastern Kentucky are related to Native Americans.

Talk about people who have a reason to be mad!

Anybody who is not white
In basic English usage, White people (also whites) "relates to a human group having light-coloured skin, especially of European ancestry."

So, to answer your question. The school has some minorities, because all of the students and staff don't fall under the defination of WHITE and they don't seem to have problem with the Mascot of the school being a Rebel or the Rebel Flag.

The un-educated will tell you the Cival War of the United States was about Slaverly. The Confederate States for slaverly and the Union against it was what started it.

That is totally false!

I am not for Racism, and I don't want to in any way sound like I am. But tackle some more important issues other than this. Drugs, Gangs, Guns, Violence, Education, the war in Iraq, the national unemployement rate.
Tricky Wrote:In basic English usage, White people (also whites) "relates to a human group having light-coloured skin, especially of European ancestry."

So, to answer your question. The school has some minorities, because all of the students and staff don't fall under the defination of WHITE and they don't seem to have problem with the Mascot of the school being a Rebel or the Rebel Flag.

The un-educated will tell you the Cival War of the United States was about Slaverly. The Confederate States for slaverly and the Union against it was what started it.

That is totally false!

I am not for Racism, and I don't want to in any way sound like I am. But tackle some more important issues other than this. Drugs, Gangs, Guns, Violence, Education, the war in Iraq, the national unemployement rate.
If you fill out an application for a job and you check anything other than white, I consider those people minorities. Racism is as important an issue as those that you mentioned, when you are the victim of it. Some of those issues you mentioned are sometime directly and indirectly influenced by racism. Also a lot of time the un-educated are the ones who inflame the issues.
david needs to play them or don't, and if they choose not to them they just need to go about their business and not worry about them!!!
happyface Wrote:If you fill out an application for a job and you check anything other than white, I consider those people minorities. Racism is as important an issue as those that you mentioned, when you are the victim of it. Some of those issues you mentioned are sometime directly and indirectly influenced by racism. Also a lot of time the un-educated are the ones who inflame the issues.

Nice Post.
happyface Wrote:If you fill out an application for a job and you check anything other than white, I consider those people minorities. Racism is as important an issue as those that you mentioned, when you are the victim of it. Some of those issues you mentioned are sometime directly and indirectly influenced by racism. Also a lot of time the un-educated are the ones who inflame the issues.

Are you saying that white people can't be descriminated against?
Because if you are, then you need to get out of eastern Kentucky. Try working in Detroit, Toledo, Chicago, Dayton, Philly and New York. Go on vacation to New Orleans and get outside the police patroled district.
First of all we need to clarify a few things. This isn't about minorities; it's about black's saying that they are feeling repressed by the school having a Rebel and a Rebel Flag for as it's mascot.
When you say minorities you include too broad of an area of the human race. I personally dont think that the Cubans are offended by the Rebel Flag
Tricky Wrote:Are you saying that white people can't be descriminated against?
Because if you are, then you need to get out of eastern Kentucky. Try working in Detroit, Toledo, Chicago, Dayton, Philly and New York. Go on vacation to New Orleans and get outside the police patroled district.
First of all we need to clarify a few things. This isn't about minorities; it's about black's saying that they are feeling repressed by the school having a Rebel and a Rebel Flag for as it's mascot.
When you say minorities you include too broad of an area of the human race. I personally dont think that the Cubans are offended by the Rebel Flag

First let me say this I want AC to keep its flag and its colors, I could care less if they played Dixie at ball games. I am not offended by the flag at all, but I can say the same thing about the Nazi Flag. I am neither black nor Jewish. I am a closet historian; I collect Military items from both World War II and the Civil War. My favorite restaurant is Mosby's is Wise Va, and if you want to see real confederate and rebel history go have dinner there, I recommend the Jefferson Davis prime rib.

However you are making the case that people feel discriminated or unsafe when in the minority. Are you saying that you wouldn't feel safe in a gym named after Martin Luther King, or Malcolm X? You are making the very point that the opponents of the school flag are saying, a minority finds it offensive and intimidating.

Your post mentions only one city in the south New Orleans, a city which I love an after I retire I would consider to one day maybe call my home.

I have been to several of the places that you mentioned, including going on vacation in New Orleans, during the essence festival where over 125,000 African American come to celebrate black culture and music. And trust me we went to the non patrolled areas as well and I have never felt so welcomed by a city and its people as I was in New Orleans. I returned to New Orleans this summer after the devastation of Katrina, I was there for two weeks and I pretty well covered most of the city, and I saw a great deal of discrimination, I saw our Government failing to help whites, blacks, Hispanics and any other race or culture. The only hate that I saw was pointed toward FEMA and its failure.

The David School not playing AC is just one more example of our country
moving in a more political correct direction, one where we are afraid to hurt someones feelings.
If you want to debate the flag then open a thread in the general forum
this one has ran its course