Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Top Ten 2a games of week ending on 9-19-15
Well we have another great week of games slated for 2a teams this week across the state. I am sorry that it has taken so long to get to them. It has been a very rough week for those of us in my line of work here in Western Ky and my mind has not been on football, like usual. I hope you enjoy this weeks top ten.

1) Graves County 5a @ Mayfield 2a
Well, what can I say about this game. This is a matchup between last years 1a state champs and last years 5a state runners up. This is a rivalry game of sorts and always has a packed house. Both teams are coming off what they would feel are disappointing losses. Graves comes in with a record of 2-2 on the season. Mayfield comes in at 3-1. Last year Graves posted a great 11-4 record and was only 8 points away from being the 5a state champions for the first time in school history. Mayfield posted a 14-1 record last year with their only loss being to a 6a team in overtime. This game last year was pretty much one sided as Graves only crossed Mayfield's 40 yard line once in a 21-0 loss. Both teams will be ready to get back to winning this week and it should be a great game.

2) Lou Christian Academy 2a @ North Oldham 4a
Here we have a game between 2 teams with the exact same 2-2 records. This is a game between a bigger school and smaller school that both finished the season last year with almost identical records. CAL finished up 2014 at 10-2. N Oldham finished up at 10-3. This is also a game that came down to the wire last year as CAL won 24-21. This looks to be a great matchup.

3) Hazard 1a @ Prestonburg 2a
Here we have a game between 2 teams with a lot of tradition and expectations. They both only have 1 loss at this point in the season as well. Hazard comes in at 3-1 and Pburg at 2-1. Both finished 2014 with identical 10-3 records. If that wasn't enough to sell you, this game also came down to the wire last year with Pburg winning 34-26. Both of these programs are followed well by their communities and this should make for a great atmosphere.

4) DeSales 2a @ Fern Creek 5a
Here we have a game between a more successful small team and a pretty successful larger school team. They both had some success last year as well. DeSales of course finished 2014 as the 2a state champions with a 14-1 record and avenged their only loss in the playoffs. Fern Creek wasn't quiet as successful but did post a 7-4 record on the year. They both are off to great starts this year as well. DeSales comes in at 4-0 and Fern Creek at 3-1. This too should be a great one to watch.

5) Butler County 2a @ Grayson County 5a
Here we have a game between one of the surprise teams in 2a stepping it up by playing a successful big school team. Butler County finished up last year with a 7-4 record. This was a good record but, I expect isn't as good as this one should shape up to be. Grayson finished up 2014 with a better 9-3 record. The roles appears to be somewhat reversed this year as Butler is off to a 3-1 record with their only loss being to a highly ranked 1a team. Grayson is already off to a 2-2 record. This game last year was won by Grayson going away at 54-24. I look for this margin to be tightened a lot this year or maybe even go the other way.

6) Scott 4a @ Cov Holy Cross 2a
Here we have a game between a successful 2a team going above their heads again and hosting a successful bigger school team. Both teams come in with only 1 loss on the year. Scott has a record of 3-1 and Holy Cross at 2-1. Both also finished with somewhat similar records last year. Scott finished at 6-4-1 and Holy Cross 8-5. I think this should be another great one as well.

7) Casey County 3a @ Washington County 2a
Here again we have a game between 2 teams with identical 2-2 records on the year. They also had similar success, or lack thereof last year. Casey finished up at 5-6 and Washington at 3-7. Washington however appears to be slightly improved from last year. I think this one could be a good one to watch as well.

8) Apollo 5a @ Owensboro Catholic 2a
Here we have another game between 2 teams that have had good success in the past and want to continue that success. They both enter this one with identical 2-2 records on the year. They however finished at opposite ends of the spectrum last year. Apollo finished last year at 2-9 and has already matched that this year. Owensboro Cath finished up last year with an impressive 10-2 records. Owensboro won this one last year going away by a score of 49-14. This should be another good one to watch.

9) Estill County 3a @ Gallatin County 2a
Here is another one between 2 teams with identical 2-2 records on the year. Both showed signs of success last year as well as Estill finished at 9-3 and Gallatin only 1 game below 500 at 5-6. This will be a good test for Gallatin to determine just how much they have improved this year.

10) Green County 2a @ Campbellsville 1a
Here we have a slightly bigger 2a school with a 2-2 record taking on a small school with a perfect 4-0 record on the year. They finished 2014 at opposite ends of the spectrum as well. Green finished up at 2-8 and Campbellsville at 7-5. This is also a revenge game of sorts as Campbellsville took it to Green last year by a score of 36-8. This should be another good one to watch.

Well, I hope it was worth the wait. Please let me know what you think. Now, I have to get to work on 1a.
2a is awful boring on this site.
Good job on top ten 2A games. :Cheerlead
Sorry for not getting 1a done this week fellas. It hasn't been a very good week here in West Ky. Some things are just hard to get over. I hope I get back in game mode next week.