Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shannon Dawson new UK Offensive Coordinator
West Virginia Offensive Coordinator Shannon Dawson has agreed to become Kentucky's new offensive coordinator

Kentucky: Sources tell FootballScoop that West Virginia offensive coordinator / quarterbacks Shannon Dawson has agreed to become offensive coordinator at Kentucky. Per second source, Dawson will continue to serve as OC for West Virginia in their upcoming bowl game before heading to Kentucky.

http://footballscoop.com/the-scoop/
You can have him. With any luck, you can have eForest Gump and Lt. DuH (Joe DeForrest and HC Dana Holgorsen)
“West Virginia was one of the top offensive teams in the Big 12 in the few years Dawson was the offensive coordinator. This season West Virginia averaged just over 500 yards per game and 33.2 points per game.”

“Dawson has served as the Mountaineers offensive coordinator since 2012 and served as the school’s inside receivers coach in 2011. At West Virgina, Dawson worked for Air Raid disciple Dana Holgorsen. He worked as Stephen F. Austin’s offensive coordinator from 2008 to 2010.”

“I’ve met with coordinators across the nation and some offenses have the mindset that a punt’s a great play,” Dawson said. “Their philosophy is that it’s a field-position game, so let’s get to the end and win the game. And for some of them it works.

“But we try to score on every possession. No matter whether we’re backed up on the 1, our mindset is always the same — we want to attack. And with that mindset, if you get somebody on their heels, then you’re going to have a good day.”
He’s from the Hal Mumme coaching tree, having spent two years under Mumme at Southeastern Louisiana followed by one season at New Mexico State.

— KSR has been told his offense is similar to Neal Brown’s but faster with more shots downfield. “He will play FAST, FAST, FAST,” said one person in the know.

— In 2010, serving as the offensive coordinator at Stephen F. Austin, he guided the nation’s No. 1 passing offense (362.2) and No. 4 scoring offense (36.3), ranking No. 6 in total offense (442.9).

— His first offensive coordinator job was at Millsaps College in Mississippi, where his offense averaged more than 35 points a game.

— He played quarterback and wide receiver at Wingate, where he led the team in receiving as a senior with 43 catches for 584 yards and seven touchdowns. He was second on the team as a junior with 31 catches for 410 yards and one touchdown. That same junior season, he completed 45 passes for 549 yards with seven interceptions and two touchdowns as a quarterback.

http://kentuckysportsradio.com/football-...son-facts/
Sounds like the guy has a pretty good resume as an offensive coordinator and we could have some exciting offense to watch in the years to come.
Like the hire.
My question is while at WVU and under Mumme, how much of the play calling is him vs holgorsen/Mumme? Did he just have the title of an OC but truly was just a QB coach or did he call the stuff? And I mean more than the occasional recommendation to the HC.

What happened to the ECU OC that UK was big on?
Coach_Lockwood Wrote:My question is while at WVU and under Mumme, how much of the play calling is him vs holgorsen/Mumme? Did he just have the title of an OC but truly was just a QB coach or did he call the stuff? And I mean more than the occasional recommendation to the HC.

Came down to three, Riley (ECU OC), Dawson (WVU OC) and someone else and because of how he ran the air raid or West Viriginia's offense, Stoops went with Dawson
Mr Dawson has his work cut out for him to put it mildly.
Coach_Lockwood Wrote:My question is while at WVU and under Mumme, how much of the play calling is him vs holgorsen/Mumme? Did he just have the title of an OC but truly was just a QB coach or did he call the stuff? And I mean more than the occasional recommendation to the HC.

I seen article,where he done the work to put game plan together but Danna called all the plays..
I like it. The guy recruited most of the best offensive players to WVU. He's got some good pieces to work with at KY with more coming in.
Do-double-gg Wrote:Sounds like the guy has a pretty good resume as an offensive coordinator and we could have some exciting offense to watch in the years to come.

I like this guy and his system he runs the real "Air Raid"! I was already sick of that "Read Option" crap that Neal Brown ran and tried to pass off as the "Air Raid"! The real "Air Raid" uses a lot of the old fashion play action and the draw is a important play in the play book! Two RB sets are common in the real " Air Raid" system! I look forward to seeing 2 play makers like Boom Williams and Joe Joe Kemp lined up in the backfield together instead of some walk on Fullback that couldn't out run my on the forty! I also look forward to seeing the crossing patterns and the deep passing game down the middle of the field. About every game at UK Neal Brown wasted a early set of downs trying to establish his "Read Option" in the process wasting valuable downs and possessions!
Stoops wouldn't have hired him if he wasn't going to throw down the field. There will be screens and short routes as well. He will also use more two back sets.