Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Florida 52 Eastern Kentucky 3
Final from the Swamp. Hopefully, Walt can give us a game report.
The Colonels were in a tough spot. With a playoff spot all but assured it wouldn't have been wise to go all out and risk injuries to their main players. There were several starters on the sidelines in street clothes that probably would have played had it been a conference/playoff game. Lengel, Fugate, Madon, Joseph and several others didn't play. Mobley, Coney, McClain, Daniel and several others made early exits. That severely limited the chance to keep this one close. To the Colonels credit they played a really nice game on defense against the run. They couldn't cover the Gators receivers which led to the blowout but I was really pleased with the way the front 7 played. Coach Hood pulled out all the stops early with a fake field goal, fake punt, onsides kick and end around pass. I think he wanted to see if the Colonels could use the trick plays to get out to an early lead before going to his bench. Mobley looked good in his limited time but was taken out early. EKU had their 3rd string quarterback in before halftime and he played all of the 2nd half. The only injury that I recall is McClain dinged his non-throwing shoulder up but he seemed okay by the end of the game. I'm not sure what his status is for next week.

While I'd have loved to see the Colonels hang with the Gators it was still a lot of fun to get be on the field at the Swamp. We were treated very well by the staff and fans. Now let's get ready for the playoffs.
I would say that most people here in eastern Kentucky doesn't know that Scott Daniel is Kash Daniel' of Paintsville's first cousin..Their dads are brothers.
Florida got away with an easy game with EKU being a small urban team