Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Worst place to watch a basketball game
It has to be Rupp Arena! The first 20 rows smell like absorbine Jr and you have to wake up the old guy next to you to cheer. How does the parking garage accomodate so many handicap stickers?
^ I agree. It is a terrible place to watch a game. Narrow rows, you have someone's knees in your back the entire game, uncomfortable bleachers, it feels like that you are a million miles away from the floor. I am a UK fan, but I would not complain if the blew Rupp arena up.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Went to 5/3 arena two weeks ago (I am a UC grad and have been to about a dozen games their) and hate the way it is set up. The seats(bleachers) are offset from the floor and ceiling is right on top of you. To make it worse, upper arena is full with lower arena only at most 2/3 the way full.
Mackey Arena at Purdue had an awesome atmosphere, but the arena itself wasn't spectacular

and Assembly Hall at Indiana wasn't that great as well.
Lower arena at Rupp is always nice. I agree that the Uppers are awful, and hopefully the redesign project happens so they can fix that.

People can't say anything negative about the fans last night. It was a full house, and one of the loudest games I'd heard in quite some time.

Though Rupp probably isn't a top 3-5 place to catch a CBB game, it's no where near the worst.
You guys are missing the point I think. Rupp has the worst college basketball atmosphere in college basketball. You wanna blame something for how flat the team was in the first half. Look at how many empty seats and how dead the fans were. Absolutely no energy in that place. I watched the UL/UC game Saturday, man those fans were electric.... Cameron indoor, they let the college kids have fun. ESPN kept showing the fans at the UC game, nothing but painted kids chanting, standing and having fun. ESPN would show shots of the UK fans last night, bunch of old people sitting on their asses sucking down Tums from the early bird specials they enjoyed at 4 o'clock that day. It's a joke.

They need to get those old people out of there and let the kids that pay money to go to that school have fun and be the 6th man Rupp needs.
NKYfootballfan91 Wrote:You guys are missing the point I think. Rupp has the worst college basketball atmosphere in college basketball. You wanna blame something for how flat the team was in the first half. Look at how many empty seats and how dead the fans were. Absolutely no energy in that place. I watched the UL/UC game Saturday, man those fans were electric.... Cameron indoor, they let the college kids have fun. ESPN kept showing the fans at the UC game, nothing but painted kids chanting, standing and having fun. ESPN would show shots of the UK fans last night, bunch of old people sitting on their asses sucking down Tums from the early bird specials they enjoyed at 4 o'clock that day. It's a joke.

They need to get those old people out of there and let the kids that pay money to go to that school have fun and be the 6th man Rupp needs.

I think a lot of fans think the team needs to "prove" something before they get fired up. In the 2nd half the fans were as loud as they could get and the team responded at times and let the fans down at times. I've been to probably over 150 games, and this year has been down for fans.

Though you might be disappointed to know that the majority of lower seats that were empty at the start of the game were student seats. BUT traffic was a nightmare getting in to the game last night. I left my house at 6 and still just got in with 14:00 remaining until game time. I live about 6-7 miles from Rupp. It took people a while to get in, but it was packed. I think the traffic of cars leaving downtown meeting the incoming traffic congested things a bit.

Joke or not, they're the ones who have the money to buy the seats, so they'll sit wherever they want. I don't love it either, but last night was a pretty good atmosphere so to complain about it to this extent seems frivolous.

My advice for you is to buy yourself a ticket, go to the game and make as much noise as you want and try to fire up the fans yourself.

I'll stand by what I said. It's not top 3-5, but it's not the worst atmosphere either. The students have generally been pretty lame this year (even the ones in the lowers)
NKYfootballfan91 Wrote:You guys are missing the point I think. Rupp has the worst college basketball atmosphere in college basketball. You wanna blame something for how flat the team was in the first half. Look at how many empty seats and how dead the fans were. Absolutely no energy in that place. I watched the UL/UC game Saturday, man those fans were electric.... Cameron indoor, they let the college kids have fun. ESPN kept showing the fans at the UC game, nothing but painted kids chanting, standing and having fun. ESPN would show shots of the UK fans last night, bunch of old people sitting on their asses sucking down Tums from the early bird specials they enjoyed at 4 o'clock that day. It's a joke.

Do not give UC fans too much credit! That place has been FAR from sell outs for years! I was at the UC/Houston game and the lower arena was lucky to be 2/3 full and student section was pathetic and not even half full. The upper arena was almost full but mainly do to kids families from the half time show. UC is smart and has area schools kids come to perform at half time and thus get families to buy tickets who normally would not go. The game I was at had at least 150 young cheerleaders perform at half time with the UC cheerleaders. The atmosphere at Rupp is way more electric than at UC!
sstack Wrote:Do not give UC fans too much credit! That place has been FAR from sell outs for years! I was at the UC/Houston game and the lower arena was lucky to be 2/3 full and student section was pathetic and not even half full. The upper arena was almost full but mainly do to kids families from the half time show. UC is smart and has area schools kids come to perform at half time and thus get families to buy tickets who normally would not go. The game I was at had at least 150 young cheerleaders perform at half time with the UC cheerleaders. The atmosphere at Rupp is way more electric than at UC!

Dude, that's a joke.
[quote=alfus21]I think a lot of fans think the team needs to "prove" something before they get fired up. In the 2nd half the fans were as loud as they could get and the team responded at times and let the fans down at times. I've been to probably over 150 games, and this year has been down for fans.

Though you might be disappointed to know that the majority of lower seats that were empty at the start of the game were student seats. BUT traffic was a nightmare getting in to the game last night. I left my house at 6 and still just got in with 14:00 remaining until game time. I live about 6-7 miles from Rupp. It took people a while to get in, but it was packed. I think the traffic of cars leaving downtown meeting the incoming traffic congested things a bit.

Joke or not, they're the ones who have the money to buy the seats, so they'll sit wherever they want. I don't love it either, but last night was a pretty good atmosphere so to complain about it to this extent seems frivolous.

My advice for you is to buy yourself a ticket, go to the game and make as much noise as you want and try to fire up the fans yourself.

I'll stand by what I said. It's not top 3-5, but it's not the worst atmosphere either. The students have generally been pretty lame this year (even the ones in the lowers)

Sorry, it is what it is.
NKYfootballfan91 Wrote:Sorry, it is what it is.

Well how can I argue with that? You really showed me there.
NKYfootballfan91 Wrote:Dude, that's a joke.

What is a joke? You said you watched it on tv, I saw a game in 5/3 arena and in rupp, there is no comparison to the two. To say 5/3 is better is crazy. It just so happens on radio tonight they were talking about UC and the need for new arena. Even Cronin stated there are only 3 thousand good seats in 5/3 and the rest are terrible. I think I might be right if uc's own coach says it sucks!
Cameron indoor stadium..its awful in there...anyone who says other...well they haven't been then..
Overrated Wrote:Cameron indoor stadium..its awful in there...anyone who says other...well they haven't been then..

I have not been there but, on TV it looks like a high school gym
it is..no room...way too hot..seats suck..you can see the court fairly good but its nothing good.