Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Defininition of a Powerhouse
Ok.. everyone has been referring to teams as being Powerhouses.. I'm sure everyone's definition of a powerhouse is different. My idea of a powerhouse would be a team that competes every year for a state championship. Not a regional champ but a state championship. Now a few teams have been declared Powerhouses, such as the big 3 from Louisville, which is Trinity, Male, St. X. These three teams compete year in and year out for the 4A state championship. Then you have teams from 3A, in Highlands, and Boyle. In 1A you have Danville, Beechwood, and Mayfield.

I have no idea how many championships these teams have combined, but it seems like every year, one of these teams win the big one, or are at least in the final game.

In 2A though, its always wide open. Granted Belfry and Breathitt have owned the trophy pretty well since 2000, or whenever it was. So you could consider those two teams a powerhouse I guess. But with the other teams, Danville (a 1A school) plays, if I'm not mistaken, Highlands every year. And competes with them. Boyle plays St. X, and competes. But if any of the stronger 2A schools were to play one of the Powerhouses mentioned above, how would they do?

The last two years Belfry could have played with most of them, as could Breathitt, but this year, knowing that Breathitt, and Belfry both lose a bunch of players, they probably wouldn't be able to compete with the bigger teams.

Yes Belfry, Breathitt and Pikeville, can be considered mtn. powerhouses, but could you really consider them a state powerhouse?

Please keep this a civil discussion, and express your opinions without being overly biased towards either team.
Great topic Crazytaxi...

A Powerhouse to me is a team with a winning tradition and has the mentality that they are the best. This is a very vague define. But i do agree on your opinion of what a powerhouse truely is.
I agree 100%
powerhouse is a team that in every aspect of the game has it stuff together like the best of the best in every position
Ashland Tomcats
A powerhouse is a team that doesnt rebuild they only reload.
I also have seen teams who,s offense was deemed powerhouse,s because they ran the ball every play and the opposing teams knowing this still couldnt stop them.
Old school Dawg Wrote:I also have seen teams who,s offense was deemed powerhouse,s because they ran the ball every play and the opposing teams knowing this still couldnt stop them.

Ironton is a prime example of that they run it down ur throat and u know it but trying to stop it is a diff. story!!!
yep tomcat and if you could stop the run they would go pass happy
I heard Ironton starts there weight program really young thats whey there so tuff year in and year out! Any truth to that??
I would say that is very true.
Old school Dawg Wrote:A powerhouse is a team that doesnt rebuild they only reload.

RUSSELL
Romans 14:11
It is written: " 'As surely as I live,' says the Lord, 'every knee will bow before me; every tongue will confess to God.' "
powerhouse-Trinity, ST. X, Male, Danville, Boyle, Hoover, AL, Ironton, And I think its DE Lasalles, Cal
When I looked it up in Webster's it had a pic of of a football with the letters B E L F R Y in it..But this may be last years edition..lol...when the opposing team knows they are just going to try to survive, but a program that shows class, knocks you on your tail. JUST PLAY FOOTBALL!
I think A powerhouse is a team that year in and year out has a legit shot to win their perspective class championship. Every year their either winning it or on the doorstep.
A team may win it all in a season, but go 8-3 or 7-4 the next 5 years, Great season but no powerhouse. A powerhouse will annihalate it's weaker comp, Be 35 ponts better than avg. comp., beat a good football team by 2td's or better and be right there on the doorstep when Dec. comes, Year in and Out. Highlands, Trinity, St.X,Danville are powerhouses. I would consider Russell, Belfry powerhouses in 2A.
It takes more than 1 great year to be called a Powerhouse.
A team that dominates year in and year out BUT, still shows class...
http://www.russell-ind.k12.ky.us/reddevi...insite.htm
READ THE BANNER
Romans 14:11
It is written: " 'As surely as I live,' says the Lord, 'every knee will bow before me; every tongue will confess to God.' "
To me, a "pwerhouse" is a team that simply competes every year for the "big prize." Regardless of the players it loses, the team still reloads it's talent and seems to advance far into the post-season every year. Here in Eastern Kentucky, Belfry is always first to come to my mind when thinking of a "powerhouse." Coach Haywood always has his team prepared for the upcoming season, regardless of the talent lost from previous seasons. Just look at last year...a year removed from the "David Jones Era," they still advanced to the State Semis before being beat in a tight game by a very good Russell team.
TOMCAT06 Wrote:I heard Ironton starts there weight program really young thats whey there so tuff year in and year out! Any truth to that??

This was a while back, but I remember talking to one of their players and he told me that they started lifting in 7th grade.
A team that wins year in and year out and shows class while they blow u out..Such as St.X Male Trinity, AND BELFRY!!
I agree 100% - the winners and main competitors year in and year out. But this is more of a powerhouse "program".

You CAN have a powerhouse "team" which may only rise up for a few seasons or less. But to be a powerhouse "team" you have to have skill players at most every key position and have depth and be able to dominate your opponents week after week.
Old school Dawg Wrote:A powerhouse is a team that doesnt rebuild they only reload.

Exactley !

A powerhouse is a team that knows what they're capable of Friday Night and is a team that dosnt make mistakes has great Disipline and Honor for there school and team ! They also know that they have a Target on there back game in and game out !
pillsburythrowboy Wrote:powerhouse-Trinity, ST. X, Male, Danville, Boyle, Hoover, AL, Ironton, And I think its DE Lasalles, Cal
i agree//