Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Perry Central @ Scott County 1/31
rojas Wrote:It's money. PCC will be paid handsomely by SCHS to come to Scott County tomorrow.
You may be right about the money. How much size does Scott County have and how good are their guards. I saw them several times last year have not saw them this year. My only misgiving was throwing Braxton against such competition before he is fully recovered. I really believe when they are at full strength the Commodores have the athletes to compete with anybody in the state. The addition of Tobler has really helped their inside game. Everyone can't just double down on Johnson or he will make them pay this kid is young but incredibly strong and he takes it to the hole. Scott County played Perry a couple of times last season I think Perry has more scorers this season and are a more rounded team. Peace be among us. Brother Cecil.
Scott has Gilbert which is the best scorcher in the state!! They also have Long which is the 7' ft soph that came from North Carolina. They should have the Page kid which can shoot it pretty good and the Ware kid that can light it up if he is on!
ballstar Wrote:Scott has Gilbert which is the best scorcher in the state!! They also have Long which is the 7' ft soph that came from North Carolina. They should have the Page kid which can shoot it pretty good and the Ware kid that can light it up if he is on!
The soph will probably have his hands full with Johnson. Perry will have to play them man to man because of their shooters I'm well aware of what Gilbert can do if he is open not as good in creating his own shot. Should be a good game definitely a better match-up than them vs Bell. Expect Braxton to be hounded from endline to end line don't know if he is physically ready for this. Perry likes to run if Braxton is ready. That's their game Braxton and Johnson in the open court hard to stop them when they are on. But this season has been one injury after another. Should draw a big crowd as Scott faithful were well impressed with Johnson and Braxton last year in the Toyota Classic. Peace be among us. Brother Cecil.
Brother Cecil Wrote:You may be right about the money. How much size does Scott County have and how good are their guards. I saw them several times last year have not saw them this year. My only misgiving was throwing Braxton against such competition before he is fully recovered. I really believe when they are at full strength the Commodores have the athletes to compete with anybody in the state. The addition of Tobler has really helped their inside game. Everyone can't just double down on Johnson or he will make them pay this kid is young but incredibly strong and he takes it to the hole. Scott County played Perry a couple of times last season I think Perry has more scorers this season and are a more rounded team. Peace be among us. Brother Cecil.

Size: Not a lot once you get past Long (7'1") and Martini (6'3")
Guards: Gilbert 26ppg, 38% from 3 pt line, 90% from free throw line.
Last Year: SC beat PCC by 8 the first game of the season at Jackson Co.. SC beat PCC by 18 at Scott County in mid season.
Scott County plays two basic half court defenses. They play "solid" which is a sagging man to man designed to keep the other team from scoring, and they play "heat" which is designed to attack out front with double teams and lots of pressure. They usually play "Solid" when Long is in the game and "Heat" when Long is not in the game.
Scott County was the first team in the state to reach 20 wins this year. They are currently 21-2 and have a 13 game winning streak. Their home winning streak goes back to Jan 16 of 2013. Loses came at Ballard by 9 the first game of the season and to Lafayette in overtime in a game that Scott County had in hand before Lafayette shot 44 free throws in the second half. Could that be a state record? Scott County is a pretty decent team.
ballstar Wrote:Scott has Gilbert which is the best scorcher in the state!! They also have Long which is the 7' ft soph that came from North Carolina. They should have the Page kid which can shoot it pretty good and the Ware kid that can light it up if he is on!

I don't think Scott County has anyone named Page.
Brother Cecil Wrote:Perry will have to play them man to man .

That's good, because if you are going to play zone defense you may as well wear lipstick and pantyhose anyway.
Doesn't Steve Page son play for Scott County?? What about Portwood? Does he still play?
Brother Cecil Wrote:I'm well aware of what Gilbert can do if he is open not as good in creating his own shot.

Sorry, but I am going to call BS on this one. Gilbert was strictly a spot up shooter as a freshman but he has gradually become one of the best in the business in creating his own shot. He also has a knack for drawing fouls in the lane. He has already shot well over 300 free throws this year alone, which is mind boggling to me. He knocks down 90% of the free throws.
ballstar Wrote:Doesn't Steve Page son play for Scott County?? What about Portwood? Does he still play?

I don't know of a Page on the team. Portwood gets a little playing time. He is coming back from an injury. When Portwood gets healthy he could create depth but will not start.
One BIG advantage PCC will have over SC is that SC plays an all important district seeding game at Bryan Station Monday. The Cards will be practicing towards Bryan Station this week.
I have to agree w/ Rojas about Gilbert. Man I love watching that kid play. You think Justice is a scorer you need to watch Gilbert. He can put it on the deck and create his own shot as good as anybody. I don't understand how he does it because he isn't very quick but he can get it done. Gilbert will remind you of Jimmy off he movie Hoosiers! It's not always pretty but he flat out gets it done. Fun to watch!!
Warthog Wrote:I don't think they will play in the Sweet 16.
Gotta knock off the king Knott first.

They may not even make it out of the district

Perry wins the Region Knott could not beat them at Perry last year and they will not this year Take it to the bank:Clap:
Scott 67 Perry 63 closer than you think...Remember this schedule at Scott County at Hazard Hopkinsville at Montgomery County. at Knott County at Cordia all on the road. we will see what happen they go 4-2 wins Knott Cordia and Hazard Loses Scott County and Hoptown also dont forget at Southwestern they win their.
ballstar Wrote:I have to agree w/ Rojas about Gilbert. Man I love watching that kid play. You think Justice is a scorer you need to watch Gilbert. He can put it on the deck and create his own shot as good as anybody. I don't understand how he does it because he isn't very quick but he can get it done. Gilbert will remind you of Jimmy off he movie Hoosiers! It's not always pretty but he flat out gets it done. Fun to watch!!

Gilbert reminds me of former Cawood and Vandyke star Phil Cox.
I've seen tapes of him. Your right. Kid can feel it up!
40-58

SC wins
I don't think Perry is ready for this one.
rojas Wrote:Sorry, but I am going to call BS on this one. Gilbert was strictly a spot up shooter as a freshman but he has gradually become one of the best in the business in creating his own shot. He also has a knack for drawing fouls in the lane. He has already shot well over 300 free throws this year alone, which is mind boggling to me. He knocks down 90% of the free throws.

I saw both games they played Perry last year and was not impressed with his ability to create his own shot. Saw Scott set multiple screens for him to get open. Unless he has improved a lot on his ability to shoot off the dribble since last year I 'll have to see this for myself. I will be there tonite to see for myself. His ability to shoot the open shot and shoot free throws I concede. Peace be among us. Brother Cecil.
I hope Perry wins for the mountains, but I don't see it happening
ballstar Wrote:Doesn't Steve Page son play for Scott County?? What about Portwood? Does he still play?

Are you thinking of Tyler Page? If so, he was a senior on last year's team. Portwood is in the rotation now from what I have seen.
It is also important to note, this is a rematch of the KBA State Championship game from this past June. Scott County won that one without Long and Portwood there to match up with Johnson. I agree Johnson is a load and a great player but as with every Billy Hicks coached team, it won't be just one guy guarding him. All 5 guys on the floor will be helping down on him.
11thRegionHoops Wrote:Are you thinking of Tyler Page? If so, he was a senior on last year's team. Portwood is in the rotation now from what I have seen.

Yes, he was a lefty!! I hope I'm right on that.
PCC didn't have Tobler and I couple more kids that's in the rotation now. Hopefully it will worth the drive down there!!
Don't waste gas PCC fans