Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best Mountain Players You Remember
Dustin May and Ivan Lee were both really good RB's for Belfry a few years ago.
Phil Ratliff Lawrence Co All American at Marshall
-
The quickest high school football player I ever saw was Steve Bird of Corbin. Went on to have a great career at EKU were he won a national championship with Tuck Woolum of Pineville (another mountain legend). Steve's dad Jerry has his jersey hung in Rupp Arena and three of his uncles were mountain legends who played football at Corbin and UK: Roger, Calvin and Billy.
-
The most impressive sight I can remember in high school football was big Brad Durham of Rockcastle County coming out in freezing weather and snow to warm up with no shirt on.
-
Mike Whitaker was a great quarterback at Leslie County. Never got to see Tim Couch play till he was a senior and most of the best players around him had graduated. That season did get him ready for what he faced with the Browns. Kid was a great basketball player too.....
-
Darrin Clark, played tight-end for Bell County’s 1991 state championship was a tremendous player. Bell played Clay County in the playoffs that year and Clark caught the winning touchdown in the last minutes of the game. On the Clay County side was Vic Hyland who may be the best defensive player in the history of Tiger football. Went on to play at EKU.
-
Of course Zac Lewis who was the best offensive player to play at Clay County.
-
Oliver White of Knox Central was a very impressive on a less than impressive team. Wonder what he could have done if he had played on the recent Panther teams?
-
Has anyone read the new book out about the Gray murders about R.C. Thomas?
Ive seen his name mentioned in this thread a few times, and rightfully so. He was one of the best to ever come out of this area, and had all that not happened, his limits would have been very high.

Ive read the book. Not to bad i must say. Isnt quite long enough, not even a 100 pages if im not mistken, but the pictures and what little info is there is still quite good. For those wondering what im going on about and doesnt know the story, many people see it differently. I guess it just depends on who you talk to. However, he is in an asylum now according to the book, and still has no reccolection of the events. His family members wont allow anyone to talk to him, or im sure the book would have been much better.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Has anyone read the new book out about the Gray murders about R.C. Thomas?
Ive seen his name mentioned in this thread a few times, and rightfully so. He was one of the best to ever come out of this area, and had all that not happened, his limits would have been very high.

Ive read the book. Not to bad i must say. Isnt quite long enough, not even a 100 pages if im not mistken, but the pictures and what little info is there is still quite good. For those wondering what im going on about and doesnt know the story, many people see it differently. I guess it just depends on who you talk to. However, he is in an asylum now according to the book, and still has no reccolection of the events. His family members wont allow anyone to talk to him, or im sure the book would have been much better.

I have not read the book but I have talked to the state trooper who was the first to respond...Crazy stuff...
^
I believe it has an interview with him in it.
It mentions his name on the first page.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Has anyone read the new book out about the Gray murders about R.C. Thomas?

The book was written by Steve Reeves, a former teammate of RC's. Sac was probably the best high school defensive player that I ever saw play.
Greg Taylor from Corbin, who went on to star at WKU should be on this list. Attached is a good story on Greg's son, who plays for LA powerhouse Evangel Christian.http://www.usatodayhss.com/shreveport/ar...2121201002
I watched RC as a little kid play in state title against Mayfield. I wanted to read book.
My list of players I remember watching:

Doug Howard - Belfry
David Jones - Belfry
Dustin May - Belfry
Channing Fugate - Breathitt Co.
Zach Lewis - Clay Co.
Durrell Olinger - Hazard
JJ Jude - Johnson Central
Shawn Grimm - Johnson Central
Nathaniel Dials - Johnson Central
Shane Pack - Lawrence Co.
Charlie Batch - Letcher Central
Daniel Pugh - Paintsville
Jordan Amis - Perry Central
Daniel Harmon - Pikeville
Nathan Leslie - Prestonsburg
John Ortega - Prestonsburg
Matt Slone - Prestonsburg
Nick Jamerson - Prestonsburg
Joey Willis - Prestonsburg
Adam Dials - Sheldon Clark

There's many more that i just can't think of right now.
Hazard: The Olinger family

Perry Central: Al Holland JR, Jordan Amis, Demetri Travis, Matt Robinson

Breathitt County: Justin Haddix, Justin Lamb, Jade Haddix, Channing Fugate

Letcher Central: Charlie Banks, Logan Johnson