Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
9 straight beat downs
With Highlands now owning 9 straight over Covcath and being loaded for bear next season, what can Covcath do besides take beating 10? Next year could be a 61-0 like game again.
Maintain the rivalry but move up or down in class...based on enrollment in next couple seasons! CCH admin. can make this happen...
I like the improvement Covcath has made, but they aren't as close as they think they are.
Highlands can just claim geographic isolation and move with them. Your answer is to duck Highlands?
Wideleft01 Wrote:Highlands can just claim geographic isolation and move with them. Your answer is to duck Highlands?

Maintain the rivalry means continue to schedule games...I'm a Bird fan...I've fired the cannon on more than one occasion wide...The Birds can live w/out facing CCH in the playoffs....can you?
CovCath is still one of the two best in Class 4A. They have a quality program.
Not used to someone calling poop on your trolling are you, especially when they are in your own camp?
^
Confusednicker:
Covcath may be the 2nd best team. I just wouldn't want to always be 2nd best. So they kept the equipment out 1 week longer than during the Brossart era. Next year Highlands makes them wish Brossart was back coaching.
Spirit100 Wrote:Maintain the rivalry means continue to schedule games...I'm a Bird fan...I've fired the cannon on more than one occasion wide...The Birds can live w/out facing CCH in the playoffs....can you?

And exactly when was that that you fired the cannon? Just curious.
Spirit, highlands and myself will both be fine no matter what happens with Covcath. I enjoy the annual beatings of Covcath. They come in all chipper and feisty and leave with their heads down. I foresee at least a few more wins before they ever beat Highlands again. I'd like to see it run a decade.
After being a 5 time state champion at Highlands (I redshirted my frosh year) I couldnt believe how we dismantled everyone.
Not a lot of people know this, but back in 1943 we scrimmaged UK and whipped them all over the field.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:After being a 5 time state champion at Highlands (I redshirted my frosh year) I couldnt believe how we dismantled everyone.
Not a lot of people know this, but back in 1943 we scrimmaged UK and whipped them all over the field.

No but we did play Cincinnati St. X and beat them. The following year a fight insued and the series ended until 2009. Played them in '09 and beat X.:biggrin:
They probably WOULD whip UK all over the field this year. The Cats stood a better shot in '43.
tradition Wrote:No but we did play Cincinnati St. X and beat them. The following year a fight insued and the series ended until 2009. Played them in '09 and beat X.:biggrin:

You and I played right beside each other on the line that year Confusednicker:
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:You and I played right beside each other on the line that year Confusednicker:

Yeah, and I was the QB too!:biggrin: Way before the Hefty Left, there was the Mighty Righty. :thatsfunn

Serious fact: When Mueller was being interviewed for the job back in the day, the administrator making the hiring decision told Mueller that the administrator wanted the new coach to make Highlands competitive with CovCath again (win 50% of the time). Mueller told the administrator that he wouldn't take the job unless the school was committed to seeing Highlands beat CovCath at least 75% of the time. The administrator said: "let's make it happen" and threw the support of the school behind Mueller. The rest, as they say, is history.

We've been on an unprecedented run against CovCath. 9 in a row is fantastic. Like left, I'd like to see it continue for many, many more years. But CovCath has improved considerably over the last several years and continuing the streak will be tougher and tougher. CovCath has made big improvements to their program just like Highlands did after Mueller was hired. Competition sharpens the edge. A better CovCath produces a better Highlands. A better Highlands produces a better CovCath.

I hope CovCath and Highlands stay in the same class. Then again, if CovCath did end up in another class, it would greatly increase the chances that an additional state title was brought back to N. Ky. each year.
charlie22 Wrote:Yeah, and I was the QB too!:biggrin: Way before the Hefty Left, there was the Mighty Righty. :thatsfunn

Serious fact: When Mueller was being interviewed for the job back in the day, the administrator making the hiring decision told Mueller that the administrator wanted the new coach to make Highlands competitive with CovCath again (win 50% of the time). Mueller told the administrator that he wouldn't take the job unless the school was committed to seeing Highlands beat CovCath at least 75% of the time. The administrator said: "let's make it happen" and threw the support of the school behind Mueller. The rest, as they say, is history.

We've been on an unprecedented run against CovCath. 9 in a row is fantastic. Like left, I'd like to see it continue for many, many more years. But CovCath has improved considerably over the last several years and continuing the streak will be tougher and tougher. CovCath has made big improvements to their program just like Highlands did after Mueller was hired. Competition sharpens the edge. A better CovCath produces a better Highlands. A better Highlands produces a better CovCath.

I hope CovCath and Highlands stay in the same class. Then again, if CovCath did end up in another class, it would greatly increase the chances that an additional state title was brought back to N. Ky. each year.

Its great to have two programs in the same area that are as good as HHS and Cov Cath are. What makes it even better is the fact that your stuck together like glue with enrollment.
Trust me, its better that way. When you have schools close that you dont play and are in a different class, you always hear about how if you would of played, they would beat you Confusednicker:

How close are the two in proximity?
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Its great to have two programs in the same area that are as good as HHS and Cov Cath are. What makes it even better is the fact that your stuck together like glue with enrollment.
Trust me, its better that way. When you have schools close that you dont play and are in a different class, you always hear about how if you would of played, they would beat you Confusednicker:

How close are the two in proximity?

As the crow flies, my guess would be 5 miles or so. Takes about 10-15 minutes depending on traffic to get their by car.

IF we were to end up in separate classes, I'm quite confident the two teams would continue to play one another. However, as long as the KHSAA continues to allow geographically isolated schools to move up (and they should as that was "part of the deal" when the decision to go to 6 classes was approved), I expect Highlands and CovCath to stay in the same class. Highlands is more likely to become a 3A sized school than CovCath a 5A school. With no other 3A sized schools in N. Ky, Highlands would be geographically isolated as a 3A team. Plus, with Pendleton dropping out of district play, it would help fill out the 4A district if Highlands continued in 4A (with CovCath, Holmes and Harrison, assuming those 3 schools stayed 4A size of course).
charlie22 Wrote:As the crow flies, my guess would be 5 miles or so. Takes about 10-15 minutes depending on traffic to get their by car.

IF we were to end up in separate classes, I'm quite confident the two teams would continue to play one another. However, as long as the KHSAA continues to allow geographically isolated schools to move up (and they should as that was "part of the deal" when the decision to go to 6 classes was approved), I expect Highlands and CovCath to stay in the same class. Highlands is more likely to become a 3A sized school than CovCath a 5A school. With no other 3A sized schools in N. Ky, Highlands would be geographically isolated as a 3A team. Plus, with Pendleton dropping out of district play, it would help fill out the 4A district if Highlands continued in 4A (with CovCath, Holmes and Harrison, assuming those 3 schools stayed 4A size of course).

8 or 10 miles, but it's also not just a straight shot up the highway, so it takes longer.

CovCath's grade school program is growing and should have them on par with Highlands sometime soon (Highlands has had one for much longer).

Game really wasn't a blowout and not enough to say that Highlands is head-and-shoulders above CovCath.
QB Challenge Champion, Just Pitching Champion, Midi Golf Champion- My Greatest Accomplishments in Life
charlie22 Wrote:As the crow flies, my guess would be 5 miles or so. Takes about 10-15 minutes depending on traffic to get their by car.

I agree with that.
If any moving happens, IMO, it will be moving down instead of back up.