Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lawrence Co. 99' vs Belfry 03'
This is an interesting matchup here, who would win this game on a neutral field?

I say Lawrence by 14.
Belfry 03'
easternkysportsguru Wrote:This is an interesting matchup here, who would win this game on a neutral field?

I say Lawrence by 14.

Who led this Lawrence Co. team?

They had a stretch there where they had dominant players for about 5 or 6 years in a row, and I get condused as to who played what year.
Belfry '03
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
WOW. Now you are talking some serious smash mouth football. This is the Lawrence County team that had Micheal West in the backfield averaging right at 13 yards per carry. The older of the Short brothers was at QB (went to Campbellsville) and Parker was at split end. No to mention the FB named Caudill or Cordual or something like that. This team was loaded. They lost only one game that regualr season (To my Sheldon Clark Cardinals. Had to throw that in there) and mowed through the competition in the playoffs untill running into the eventuall AAA state champion Fort Thomas Highlands Bluebirds led by Gino Gudilli (I spelled that wrong), Brett Hamblin, Rob Smith, and others.
What a matchup this game would be. I think Belfry would be able to move the football on offense against the Bulldogs, but I don't believe they would be able to slow down the Bulldogs on defense. Lawrence could possibly and probabley would score everytime they got the ball. On the other hand Belfry would take the ball and keep it and try to maxamize possesions and force the LC offense to stand on the sideline. I give Haywood the edge over Cuke in the coaching department so that is definatley a plus for the Prates, but I'm jnot sure it would be enough. This is a AAA team that was every bit capable of winning the state title if it wasn't for Highlands that year. There is a big diffrence in AA and AAA and in the end I'm afraid the Bulldogs would have been to much for the Pirates. Final Score:

Lawrence: 42
Belfry: 35
Matney's Prodigey Wrote:WOW. Now you are talking some serious smash mouth football. This is the Lawrence County team that had Micheal West in the backfield averaging right at 13 yards per carry. The older of the Short brothers was at QB (went to Campbellsville) and Parker was at split end. No to mention the FB named Caudill or Cordual or something like that. This team was loaded. They lost only one game that regualr season (To my Sheldon Clark Cardinals. Had to throw that in there) and mowed through the competition in the playoffs untill running into the eventuall AAA state champion Fort Thomas Highlands Bluebirds led by Gino Gudilli (I spelled that wrong), Brett Hamblin, Rob Smith, and others.
What a matchup this game would be. I think Belfry would be able to move the football on offense against the Bulldogs, but I don't believe they would be able to slow down the Bulldogs on defense. Lawrence could possibly and probabley would score everytime they got the ball. On the other hand Belfry would take the ball and keep it and try to maxamize possesions and force the LC offense to stand on the sideline. I give Haywood the edge over Cuke in the coaching department so that is definatley a plus for the Prates, but I'm jnot sure it would be enough. This is a AAA team that was every bit capable of winning the state title if it wasn't for Highlands that year. There is a big diffrence in AA and AAA and in the end I'm afraid the Bulldogs would have been to much for the Pirates. Final Score:

Lawrence: 42
Belfry: 35

Very good post, I agree with everything in it but the score at the end. Great job:thumpsup:
This was AAA team in Lawrence County who just absolutely destroyed everyone they played in the region that year. Beat Whitley at home, dismantled Bell Co. AT Bell Co. and absoutely took Rockcastle to the woodshed. Lawrence County that year averaged 53.6 points a game, 2nd-most ALL-TIME in the state of Kentucky. They could score on anyone in the state that year. West averaged 13.1 yards a rush, Travis " Diesel" Hughes at FB, Alan Short at QB, Larry Paul Thornsbury at RB with West and Hughes and UK signee Jared Parker at wideout and Dontae Wright at Safety. Their o-line that year was rude to opposing defenses and with the style that Chuke played, he wouldnt let up on any team.
Any more takers?
They go on about that years team on offense. They smashed you in the mouth on defense that year as well. That was one of the best teams I think that i seen come out of Lawrence Co other than the year we beat The Bobcats in that classic match up at Luke Varney Field and stopped the streak!!!!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[YOUTUBE="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y2Ezx8SnN0"][/YOUTUBE]
Batpuff Wrote:They go on about that years team on offense. They smashed you in the mouth on defense that year as well. That was one of the best teams I think that i seen come out of Lawrence Co other than the year we beat The Bobcats in that classic match up at Luke Varney Field and stopped the streak!!!!

:thumpsup:
I think LC may have a slight advantage here with simply more offensive weapons. Depending on how much clock the Pirates could chew, LC probably wins by a TD. If Belfry controls time of possession they could win 5 out of 10 max.