Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
'01 Prestonsburg vs. '03 Belfry
Pirate Pal Wrote:Sorry, but you're wrong there. Both state games was completely opposite teams. Belfry was the running team and Elizabethtown & Owensboro Catholic were passing teams. If I'm not mistaken, Etown's QB went to Marshall on scholly.

It was Owensboro Catholic... they started passing towards the end of the game... if they would have realized earlier that they could... the game would have been a different story... and I was there... so I know what I'm talking about
Pirate Pal Wrote:Sorry, but you're wrong there. Both state games was completely opposite teams. Belfry was the running team and Elizabethtown & Owensboro Catholic were passing teams. If I'm not mistaken, Etown's QB went to Marshall on scholly.

E'Town's QB (Chris Todd) is now at Texas Tech which throws the ball close to 40 times a game or more under Coach Leach. He was second team during spring drills the last info. I read. Tech's QB's commonly lead the nation or are near the top in most passing statistics. O'Cath's QB (Zach Barnard) is currently at Marshall and was limited during spring drills due to a hurt shoulder.
blackcat_student Wrote:David Jones was a good player, But I remember only one time that he actually broke up a pass, "trevor compton tossed it to joe blackburn and he threw it down field and david came out of no where and knocked the ball away". That kept the '04 regular season (belfry vs. Pburg game) from getting up by two touchdowns ! Plus we played the number one passing team before we went to Pond Creek in Breathitt Co.

Let me pose a question. If you were a high school football coach and were making out a gameplan would you try to throw to the side of a D-1 quality corner or would you pick on the other corner? Lots of teams threw away from Jones and tried to test the other side of the defense. But if I recall the other guys in the secondary (Kurt K., Paul Jr., Tyler B., Chris V., and Matt M.) all came up with big plays in games ! If I remember correctly who has the 2 championship rings !!!!

Breathitt was way to OVER-RATED in '04. IMO the Pirates would come out on top but it would be another epic battle between the 2 schools!!!!
15thRegionCrazy Wrote:It was Owensboro Catholic... they started passing towards the end of the game... if they would have realized earlier that they could... the game would have been a different story... and I was there... so I know what I'm talking about

I'm going to have to get that tape out and rewatch that game. I'm pretty sure they passed quite a few times in the beginning of the game also.
throw deep Wrote:E'Town's QB (Chris Todd) is now at Texas Tech which throws the ball close to 40 times a game or more under Coach Leach. He was second team during spring drills the last info. I read. Tech's QB's commonly lead the nation or are near the top in most passing statistics. O'Cath's QB (Zach Barnard) is currently at Marshall and was limited during spring drills due to a hurt shoulder.

I couldn't remember which one it was...I knew that both teams had great passing QB's
15thRegionCrazy Wrote:It was Owensboro Catholic... they started passing towards the end of the game... if they would have realized earlier that they could... the game would have been a different story... and I was there... so I know what I'm talking about

We must have watched two different games. OC came out of the gate passing. I have the game on tape and will send it to you if you need a refresher. I have both the E-town and OC DVD. E-town had one of the best QB's in the state of KY that year. P-burg in 01 didn't have a passing game to match E-town 03, OC 04, or OC 05. Belfry made teams pay in the 2nd half of most of the games in 03 and 04. This was a very physical phase for Belfry Football.

:ChairHit:
BelfryJustice Wrote:We must have watched two different games. OC came out of the gate passing. I have the game on tape and will send it to you if you need a refresher. I have both the E-town and OC DVD. E-town had one of the best QB's in the state of KY that year. P-burg in 01 didn't have a passing game to match E-town 03, OC 04, or OC 05. Belfry made teams pay in the 2nd half of most of the games in 03 and 04. This was a very physical phase for Belfry Football.

100% correct
BelfryJustice Wrote:We must have watched two different games. OC came out of the gate passing. I have the game on tape and will send it to you if you need a refresher. I have both the E-town and OC DVD. E-town had one of the best QB's in the state of KY that year. P-burg in 01 didn't have a passing game to match E-town 03, OC 04, or OC 05. Belfry made teams pay in the 2nd half of most of the games in 03 and 04. This was a very physical phase for Belfry Football.

Tony Franklin's air-it-out philosophy got beat by the bone two years in a row. He was the Offensive Coordinator for E'Town in '03 & O'Cath in '04. Neither team ran the ball more than 10 times against us in the finals. I think OC had only 11 yards rushing.
Belfry and it would get ugly. P-Burg's 2 back Shotgun attack would not work well against a Belfry team with equal speed. Also, Haywood wins the coaching battle.
Belfry wouldn't be able to run the wishbone the whole game either !
blackcat_student Wrote:Belfry wouldn't be able to run the wishbone the whole game either !

True they could go straight T every now and then.
T is about the same as wishbone with the exception of the full back is lined up with the tail backs
blackcat_student Wrote:T is about the same as wishbone with the exception of the full back is lined up with the tail backs

I never knew that. Smile
Udon'tKnowMe Wrote:I never knew that. Smile

:thatsfunn :thatsfunn

Love talking football with the educated folk!
belfry
These two teams would matchup decentley with their style of play. 03 Belfry is they big physical team that runs it down your throat and seldom do things to beat themselves. 01 P'burg on the other hand is an athletic team with speed to boot. They spread you out with their quickness and try to isolate their athletes against yours. The game as far as between the lines would be exciting with the edge going to the boys from Pond Creek in my mind. Belfry was to big and physical for the P'burg team that. Yes P'burg had more athletes, but Belfry still had the best athlete in David Jones. Belfry still had the hands down fastest kid on the field. They have probabley the best high school football player on the field in Doug Howard as well. Besides that Belfry's style of play would hurt the Blackcats. The pounding them with the run would allow the Pirates to control the flow of the game and dictate the tempo in which it was played. Another huge advantage would be the men wearing the head-sets on the sidelines. Phillip Haywood would coach circles around Derosset. Derosset can only beat you if he is hands down better than you. His style of play makes him unable to win games with less talent, and he does not perform well when the game is on the line. P'burg also had alot of attitude that year and got numerous un-sportsman like flags (espically in the State Championship). If they were to give 03 Belfry that kind of help they would never have a chance in the game. The Blackcats would more than hold their own, but in the end the Pirates would be to much for P'burg to handle. I see Belfry winning by at least 2 scores. Maybe something like 35-21 or 28-14. That is just how I see it tho.
01 blackcats by 20..no argument