Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gillespie Resigns as Union Men's Basketball Coach
Gillespie Resigns as Union Men's Basketball Coach

BARBOURVILLE, Ky. - Sean Gillespie resigned as the Union men's head basketball coach to accept a position at a position at a private Christian school in Orlando, Fla., Interim Director of Athletics Tim Curry announced.

"We appreciate everything Sean has done for us here at Union," Curry said. "He was a part of an exciting time of Bulldog basketball as he led the team to the national tournament for the first in 43 years.

"Sean's now been given a great opportunity for him and his family," Curry continued, "and we wish him well as begins this new endeavor."

Gillespie will be a senior athletic director and girls' basketball coach at the school.

During his three seasons at Union, Gillespie posted a 44-52 overall record. In his first season, Union went 20-13 overall, won a share of the Appalachian Athletic Conference regular-season championship and advanced to the conference tournament title game. The Bulldogs finished 16-16 in 2010-11 but won the AAC Tournament to advance to the national tournament for the first time since 1968. Union suffered through an injury-plagued season this past year, posting an 8-23 mark.

"We are thankful for the opportunity that former athletic director Darin Wilson gave me and my family to work here at Union," Gillespie said. "We were able to break through some barriers in the basketball program, and we are pleased with what we did in our time here. We are blessed to accept this position in Florida, but we leave with plenty of positive memories."

Curry said the search for a new head men's basketball coach will begin immediately.
Does anybody know which private school in Orlando he is taking?
I would leave Bville for Orlando too....
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:I would leave Bville for Orlando too....

Heck, I left it for Lake Cumberland. :lmao:
^
lol, no offense to the fine people of bville, but thats the shittiest town ever.
Any word on a replacement for him?