Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Best Way to Cook Corn on the Cob for a Crowd?
Am I the only person who hasn't heard of "cooler corn"?

As an obsessive food nerd, you'd expect that I would have at least heard of it, but over the weekend I was blindsided by the simple genius of this method for cooking loads of corn on the cob perfectly.

I was hepped to it while visiting family in Tennessee . Short story: We like corn on the cob. And with eight adults at the table, that means a couple of dozen ears. We would have used a couple of very big pots to cook them all, but the the stove was already full of pots and pans cooking other stuff. Then my cousin, a capable Tennessee cook with years of camping experience says "let's do cooler corn!" Before I can ask "what the hell is cooler corn?" a Coleman cooler appears from the garage, is wiped clean, then filled with the shucked ears. Next, two kettles-full of boiling water are poured over the corn and the top closed.

Then nothing.

When we sat down to dinner 30 minutes later and opened it, the corn was perfectly cooked. My mind was blown. And I'm told that the corn will remain at the perfect level of doneness for a couple of hours.

Turns out, Cooler Corn is pretty well known among the outdoorsy set but for those of us who avoid tents as much as possible, it's perfect for large barbecues and way less of mess than grilling. In fact, I may even buy another cooler just so I'm ready for next summer. Now that I'm in the know.

[Image: http://www.bonappetit.com/blogsandforums...r-corn.jpg]
Interesting
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Don't try this at home Jarons.
That is too neat.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
It's a great technique I've done it before it also works great if you grill a bunch of corn and then put it in a dry cooler to keep it hot for your party
I had never heard of this either. It sounds like a cool way to cook it.
Stardust Wrote:Am I the only person who hasn't heard of "cooler corn"?

As an obsessive food nerd, you'd expect that I would have at least heard of it, but over the weekend I was blindsided by the simple genius of this method for cooking loads of corn on the cob perfectly.

I was hepped to it while visiting family in Tennessee . Short story: We like corn on the cob. And with eight adults at the table, that means a couple of dozen ears. We would have used a couple of very big pots to cook them all, but the the stove was already full of pots and pans cooking other stuff. Then my cousin, a capable Tennessee cook with years of camping experience says "let's do cooler corn!" Before I can ask "what the hell is cooler corn?" a Coleman cooler appears from the garage, is wiped clean, then filled with the shucked ears. Next, two kettles-full of boiling water are poured over the corn and the top closed.

Then nothing.

When we sat down to dinner 30 minutes later and opened it, the corn was perfectly cooked. My mind was blown. And I'm told that the corn will remain at the perfect level of doneness for a couple of hours.

Turns out, Cooler Corn is pretty well known among the outdoorsy set but for those of us who avoid tents as much as possible, it's perfect for large barbecues and way less of mess than grilling. In fact, I may even buy another cooler just so I'm ready for next summer. Now that I'm in the know.

If the stove burners are all already in use, how do you boil the water?:yum:
Westside Wrote:If the stove burners are all already in use, how do you boil the water?:yum:
Now see, you went and threw a whole new kink into this whole thing.:thatsfunn
Westside Wrote:If the stove burners are all already in use, how do you boil the water?:yum:
Well out in the hills of Campbell Co. there are all kinds of ways of boiling water
the simplest
[Image: http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9G...oCp6Zk6rJU]
but the best way to cook corn is using one of these
[Image: http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9G...Pxel-yZNjg]
Stardust Wrote:Am I the only person who hasn't heard of "cooler corn"?

Then nothing.

Thanks SD! I will be doing this at my next Big Cook out this spring!!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Relax, all right? Don’t try to strike everybody out. Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they’re fascist. Throw some ground balls – it’s more democratic.”

Crash Davis
[YOUTUBE="Shucking Corn"]YnBF6bv4Oe4[/YOUTUBE]
I've done the microwave corn before, and it works exactly like this guy shows.

But, if you have time, remove the outer shucks leaving a couple of layers of the tender ones closest to the corn ear. Soak in salt water over night, then pop them on a grill for about 5-6 minutes. Anytime those silks get cooked, they are going to come off the ears very easily....make sure you have some melted butter to dip them in....wow, now I'm hungry!!
Granny Bear Wrote:I've done the microwave corn before, and it works exactly like this guy shows.

But, if you have time, remove the outer shucks leaving a couple of layers of the tender ones closest to the corn ear. Soak in salt water over night, then pop them on a grill for about 5-6 minutes. Anytime those silks get cooked, they are going to come off the ears very easily....make sure you have some melted butter to dip them in....wow, now I'm hungry!!
That's how I usually fix my corn on the cob, on the grill, shuck on. That's even how I freeze corn. I pull what silt I can off of the top, wrap aluminum foil around them, and put about five ears per gallon freezer bag. I can have a bushel of corn put in the freezer before those doing it the old fashioned way even get started. When I get ready for corn, just pull out of the freezer, and soak in salt water over night, and throw on the grill.
^^
Hey, don't be putting down the old timey method....
I shuck, silk and cut off the cob about 20 dozen ears every summer....peaches and cream...yum
Others may put up more than I do, but none have the flavor that I have!!!
:Shaking:
TheRealVille Wrote:[YOUTUBE="Shucking Corn"]YnBF6bv4Oe4[/YOUTUBE]

I had a girlfriend once who could stick it in her mouth and "shuck" the corn clean in one swipe - It was amazingConfusednicker:
Granny Bear Wrote:^^
Hey, don't be putting down the old timey method....
I shuck, silk and cut off the cob about 20 dozen ears every summer....peaches and cream...yum
Others may put up more than I do, but none have the flavor that I have!!!
:yum: I was talking about freezing corn on the cob only. As opposed to shucking and silting before freezing corn on the cob. I also love corn off the cob.
Stardust Wrote:I had a girlfriend once who could stick it in her mouth and "shuck" the corn clean in one swipe - It was amazingConfusednicker:
Can you get me hooked up with this girl, I would love to see what she can do! HAHAHAHA:yum: :lmao:
TheRealVille Wrote::yum: I was talking about freezing corn on the cob only. As opposed to shucking and silting before freezing corn on the cob. I also love corn off the cob.

Oh, I know...just poking a little fun at you...

Stardust, you are one sick cookie!
Granny Bear Wrote:Oh, I know...just poking a little fun at you...

I used to love my mom's "fried" corn. Those were the days.
TheRealVille Wrote:I used to love my mom's "fried" corn. Those were the days.

You are exactly correct!!
When I prepare corn for our family meals (ALL our family, i.e. Thanksgiving and Christmas)...there are so many football players that I normally will prepare a gallon and half..

Never any left overs.

Not complaining though. I dearly love the family get togethers, and the fact that they like that corn so much!! Makes all the work so worthwhile.
TheRealVille Wrote:I used to love my mom's "fried" corn. Those were the days.

How do you make Fried Corn?
Granny Bear Wrote:Oh, I know...just poking a little fun at you...

I just ruined all credibility, sorry:please: