Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Collins 24 - North Oldham 22
Final

Great game between two great teams.

Collins improves to 5-2 overall and 2-0 in the district.
North Oldham drops to 6-1 and 1-1 in the district.
Congrats Collins
The Collins football team took a giant step toward the Class 4A, District 3 title Friday night.

Austin Nakatani’s 23-yard field goal with 3:51 to play propelled the Titans to a 24-22 victory over previously-unbeaten North Oldham in the de facto district championship game at Shelby County’s Robert Doyle Stadium.

“It was a very good high school football game, we came up just a little bit short,” North Oldham Coach Billy Martin said.

Less than a yard to be exact.

Collins stopped the Mustangs’ Jacob Raymond short on fourth-and-2 from the Titans’ 25 with a little more than 70 seconds to play.

“We just came up eight inches short,” Martin said.

After Nakatani’s field goal North Oldham quickly moved into Collins territory. Jake Evans’ 28-yard run gave the Mustang a first down at the Collins 33. Raymond’s 6-yard run gave North a third-and-2 at the Titans’ 25, but Evans was stopped for no gain to bring up fourth down. With regular field goal kicker Zach Evans hurt Martin elected to go for it.

“The kids told me that’s what they wanted and I have to trust my kids,” the North coach said.

Raymond was stopped 1 yard shy of the first down, though.

The Titans took over at their own 24 with 1:12 remaining and ran out the clock to end the back-and-forth game.

North Oldham scored first on Caleb Kellogg’s 31-yard field goal with 8:18 left in the first quarter.

Collins came back with a scoring drive of its own. DeAndre Farris’ 4-yard touchdown run made it 7-3 Titans.

The Mustangs scored late in the first half on Cameron Renaud’s 1-yard quarterback keeper with 1:35 to play in the second quarter.

That turned out to be too much time for the Titans, who quickly drove downfield and took a 14-10 lead on Lawson Page’s 30-yard touchdown pass to Nathan Sames 39 seconds before halftime.

Farris’ 55-yard run on the first play of the second half put Collins ahead 21-10.

The Mustangs responded, though, with a 9-play, 80-yard drive that Raymond capped off with a 2-yard touchdown run. North failed on its two-point conversion try to trail 21-16.

The Mustangs stopped the Titans on their next two possessions before taking a 22-21 lead on Raymond’s 13-yard TD run early in the fourth quarter.

Collins answered with a 13-play, 54-yard drive that stalled on the North 7. That’s when Nakatani – the son of Thoroughbred horse racing jockey Corey Nakatani – chipped in a 23-yard field goal.

North out-gained Collins in total offense 341-286. Raymond rushed 16 times for 100 yards, while Evans gained 66 on 14 carries. Renaud completed 8 of 13 passes for 133 yards. Farris led the Titans with 101 rushing yards on only 12 carries, while senior linebacker Michael Brooks tallied 22 tackles for the Titans.

“He’s the best linebacker I’ve seen and I’ve been coaching a long time,” Martin said.

The Mustangs ran 10 more plays than Collins (57 to 47), but the Titans dominated time of possession (38:05 to 18:48).

“A game like that comes down to a couple plays here and there,” Martin said.

http://www.sentinelnews.com/content/coll...dham-24-22
10/7/2011
Collins 24 North Oldham 22

North Oldham 3 7 6 6 22
Collins 7 7 7 3 24
Scoring summary:
N--Caleb Kellogg 31 field goal; C--DeAndre Farris 3 run (Austin Nakatani kick); N--Cameron Renaud 1 run (Kellogg kick); C--Nathan Sames 30 pass from Lawson Page (Nakatani kick); C--Farris 55 run (Nakatani kick); N--Jacob Raymond 2 run (pass failed); N--Raymond 13 run (run failed); C--Nakatani 23 field goal.
Records: North Oldham 6-1, Collins 5-2

Read more: http://www.kentucky.com/2010/08/17/13961...z1aAfkK5kE
Game Summary

By BOB WHITE

Special to The Courier-Journal

SHELBYVILLE, Ky.—Collins High rode the strong foot of senior Austin Nakatani to a 24-22 football victory over previously unbeaten North Oldham on Friday night at Shelby County High’s stadium, a win that put the Titans in first place in Class 4-A’s District Three race.

“This was huge,’’ Collins coach Jerry Lucas said after his Titans stopped North Oldham for a one-yard gain on fourth and two at the Collins 25-yard line with 1:12 remaining in the game.

Sophomore DeAndre Farris scored two touchdowns and senior linebacker Michael Brooks shook off an ankle injury to have another super defensive game as Collins—in only its second year of existence—improved its record to 5-2 overall and 2-0 in district play. North Oldham fell to 6-0 and 1-1.

Farris scored the Titans’ first TD on a four-yard run in the first quarter. His second scored came on a stunning 55-yard run up the middle on the first play of the second half, giving Collins more breathing room at 21-10 after leading only 14-10 at half.

For the game, Farris gained 101 yards on 12 carries.

Brooks, who left the game twice after injuring an ankle, made tackles all over the field.

“I’ve never seen a kid make as many tackles for losses as Michael does,’’ Lucas said. “He had 22 tackles, 13 of them solos and seven were for losses.’’

Martin also praised the play of Brooks.

“Brooks is the best linebacker I’ve seen in a long time,’’ the Mustangs’ coach said. “This was a game that came down to a couple of plays.’’

North Oldham went ahead 22-21 on a 12-yard TD run by Jacob Raymond with 9:51 left in the game, but Jake Evans was caught short of the goal on a two-point conversion run.

Collins then drove the ball 68 yards before reaching the North Oldham seven. That’s when Nakatani booted his third field goal of the season. He was confident he’d make it.

“I was ready,’’ he said. “I wanted to be confident. I tried to stay loose and took a deep breath.’’

During that last drive, Collins’ sophomore leader, Lawson Page, ran the quarterback draw twice for gains of 19 and 24 yards. That surprised the Mustangs.

“The quarterback draw was something new,’’ Martin said.

Lucas said “We’ve only run it once in a game this year and it didn’t work then, but Lawson is a good runner.’’

Thanks to a 28-yard run by Evans, who rushed for 66 yards on 14 carries, North Oldham drove to the Collins 25, but Raymond ran into a stone wall in the middle of Collins’ defense and made only one yard when he needed two.

Raymond scored twice in the game and led the Mustangs with 110 yards rushing on 16 carries. His two-yard TD run in the third quarter was set up by a 61-yard pass from Cameron Renaud to Josh Smith.

“I thought we got closer (to a first down) than that,’’ Martin said.

Renaud’s one-yard sneak for a TD put North Oldham ahead 10-7 with only 1:35 left in the first half. Raymond had a 16-yard run and Renaud hit Jacob Sanders on a 22-yard pass to keep that march going.

But Collins came back quickly. The Titans got a first down when North Oldham jumped off sides on fourth and two. A 15-yard penalty on the Mustangs followed that. Then Page hit Nathan Sames on a 30-yard pass in the end zone to put Collins back in front 14-10 with 39.3 seconds left in the half. Sames made a leaping catch with a defender on his back.

Both teams’ punters were excellent. Vince Lewis of North Oldham averaged 48.8 yards on four punts, including a 62-yarder in the fourth quarter. Nakatani averaged 41.8 on four boots, with a 51-yarder his best.
Great Game!!!!!!

These same two teams will face off in the Regional final.
Tommy2tone Wrote:Great Game!!!!!!

These same two teams will face off in the Regional final.

I agree. I can't wait to see it.