Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anybody Ever Listen to Night-time AM Radio Growing Up?
Back before satellite TV. Back before the internet. Back before satellite radio there was this thing called AM radio. I remember as a kid lying in the bed at night with my trusty transistor radio by my side listening to the lastest rock and roll hits all come to life with colorful introductions coming from a personality then known as a Disc Jockey. Most of the popular stations were your everyday ho-hum mild mannered local radio stations that broadcast the news, had talk programs, yada, yada yada. BUT when the sun went down they cranked up their wattage and became rock and roll super stations that could be heard all across the continental United States. You could even listen to your favorite baseball team playing from all the way across the United States be it the Midwest, the East Coast or if you caught it just right the West Coast. Just came in off the road and was listening to SIRIUS 60's radio and it made me remember the good old days of the late 60's and early 70's. Just wondering if anyone else can remember any of these Groovy old stations.:biggrin:

Some of my favorites were WCFL out of Chicago, CKLW out of Windsor, Canada and WOWO out of Fort Wayne, Indiana.

I know Hoot Gibson will be able to contribute to this thread and anxiously await his comments. Again anyone else?
Bob Seger Wrote:Back before satellite TV. Back before the internet. Back before satellite radio there was this thing called AM radio. I remember as a kid lying in the bed at night with my trusty transistor radio by my side listening to the lastest rock and roll hits all come to life with colorful introductions coming from a personality then known as a Disc Jockey. Most of the popular stations were your everyday ho-hum mild mannered local radio stations that broadcast the news, had talk programs, yada, yada yada. BUT when the sun went down they cranked up their wattage and became rock and roll super stations that could be heard all across the continental United States. You could even listen to your favorite baseball team playing from all the way across the United States be it the Midwest, the East Coast or if you caught it just right the West Coast. Just came in off the road and was listening to SIRIUS 60's radio and it made me remember the good old days of the late 60's and early 70's. Just wondering if anyone else can remember any of these Groovy old stations.:biggrin:

Some of my favorites were WCFL out of Chicago, CKLW out of Windsor, Canada and WOWO out of Fort Wayne, Indiana.

I know Hoot Gibson will be able to contribute to this thread and anxiously await his comments. Again anyone else?

I remember when I was little my Mom and Dad's truck only had am radio. We'd listen to Zippo in the morning on WOWO radio.

Also, a few years (about 6 or 7), I'd listen to an am station out of Cincinnati. It was some kid of truckers radio show.
Westside Wrote:I remember when I was little my Mom and Dad's truck only had am radio. We'd listen to Zippo in the morning on WOWO radio.

Also, a few years (about 6 or 7), I'd listen to an am station out of Cincinnati. It was some kid of truckers radio show.

Cincinnati has WLW, a very strong Clear Channel Station at 700 on the AM dial. They are well known for broadcasting the Cincinnati Reds games. That doesn't sound like their format(however it could have been), but they are the strongest AM station coming out of Cincinnati.
Westside Wrote:I remember when I was little my Mom and Dad's truck only had am radio. We'd listen to Zippo in the morning on WOWO radio.

Truckin Bozo on WLW
now it's
AMERICA'S TRUCKIN' NETWORK
Bubba Bo on 700WLW's America's Truckin' Network each Saturday and Sunday morning from Midnight to 5am.
I was and still am a fan of George Noory, host of the nationally syndicated program called Coast to Coast AM, program most nights deals with his discussions of paranormal phenomena, time travel, alien abductions, conspiracies and all things curious and unexplained
nky Wrote:Truckin Bozo on WLW
now it's
AMERICA'S TRUCKIN' NETWORK
Bubba Bo on 700WLW's America's Truckin' Network each Saturday and Sunday morning from Midnight to 5am.

Thanks nky. My primary listening of WLW was pretty much confined to Reds broadcasts back in the day before the network of local stations that now carry the Reds broadcasts existed.
Really looking forward to Hoot chiming in, I know that he was big into this subject back in the day.
Marty & Joe - Reds on Baseball! Other than that, I did not listen to much radio
Stardust Wrote:Marty & Joe - Reds on Baseball! Other than that, I did not listen to much radio

It didn't get any better than Marty and Joe.
Red's are on the Radio right now! Play Ball
Westside Wrote:It didn't get any better than Marty and Joe.

Actually in my opinion it did. I go back a little further than Marty and Joe. I remember when it was Al (Michaels) and Joe.
I am suprised no one mentioned WWVA out of Wheeling!!!!

I recall listening in the summertime to WLW, KMOX, WCFL, WOWO, WRVA, WBZ,
Bob Seger Wrote:Really looking forward to Hoot chiming in, I know that he was big into this subject back in the day.
You know I was always a big fan of AM radio and I still am. When I was a Little Leaguer, I used to sneak my transistor radio to bed and listen to Jack Buck call the baseball Cardinals games on KMOX St. Louis. Like you, I have fond memories of cruising around on the weekends with friends listening to WOWO.

I still listen more to AM radio than anything else. I have a C. Crane CCRadio-2 that I set to shut off after 60 minutes every night and then it serves as my alarm clock each morning. I also have two small digital Sangean AM/FM radios that have the auto shut-off feature.

My main requirement for any radio that I buy is that it have a great AM tuner - most radios don't. I have owned a couple of GE Supertuner III radios that also have great AM reception but they lack the digital tuners of the Sangean and C. Crane models.

The one thing that I miss about driving a car to work is listening to AM radio talk shows. Reception is not very good on a train and it disappears entirely as soon as the train car becomes a subway car.

If anybody is interested in buying one of the best AM radios ever made, check out the C. Crane website. AM radio doesn't get much better than a CCRadio-2 paired with a Twin Coil Ferrite AM Antenna.

Unfortunately AM reception around DC is poor compared to what I had in Kentucky and Indiana. Nothing like the reception one could get on a Saturday night drive in eastern Kentucky with a good car radio and a real steel antenna.