Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: My Rant....UK's "So Called Fans"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
All my life I have been a UK fan and that will never change. I am so sick and tired of this fanbase for booing the players at Rupp and wanting the coach fired after two years.
Kentucky has the best fans in the world and the worst fans in the world....

I am saddened of course that Kentucky is missing the Big Dance just like everyone else, but you should never boo players that get up and practice before some of our lazy fans even roll out of bed.

Some of them are acting like 3 year olds that don't get their way and throw a tantrum.....

You could not pay me enough money to come in here and put up with the wine and cheese fanbase that sit on their hands during the game and keep quiet. Meanwhile the fans who are truly behind our team is forced to sit in the rafters...those are the TRUE UK FANS, those are the ones who still wear their Blue with Pride, even when the team is in a slump.

I will never turn my back on my coach and my team....and when UK does return to prominence, I don't want those "So called" fans back...they're more than welcome to cheer for the school down I-64 west about 70 miles!
This is so old and tired. UK has the best fan base in the world. Whining about the fan base is the most pathetic whine out there.
I love the players on this UK team, but I'm not sold on Gillispie at all.

Yes there is enough talent on this team to receive atleast a 4-8 seed bid in the NCAA Tournament, but no we are a 4 seed in the NIT post-season tournament. Not to mention our head coach is a biggest ******* in Kentucky's sports history and obviously doesn't realize that Kentucky is not just another college basketball program, which he stated was. We TRUE Kentucky fans show pride, but when your coach is a ******* to the national media then it begins to look bad on the program. Gillispie has also began to blame losses on his players. Why do we even have a coach if the players don't listen? Maybe Gillispie should move on the NBA, because this is college, it takes a lot of effort to win on and off the court.

I agree with not booing the players because that is completely uncalled for, but it's because of Gillispie that players like Porter & Harris have been booed. When they are playing bad, make a substitution! Sometime I believe he leaves them in so that fans can give the players a hard time.

I'll give Gillispie another year to see what he can do with the players he recruited, but if he doesn't improve I'm sure he will be fired or ran-off.
BelfryPride Wrote:All my life I have been a UK fan and that will never change. I am so sick and tired of this fanbase for booing the players at Rupp and wanting the coach fired after two years.
Kentucky has the best fans in the world and the worst fans in the world....

I am saddened of course that Kentucky is missing the Big Dance just like everyone else, but you should never boo players that get up and practice before some of our lazy fans even roll out of bed.

Some of them are acting like 3 year olds that don't get their way and throw a tantrum.....

You could not pay me enough money to come in here and put up with the wine and cheese fanbase that sit on their hands during the game and keep quiet. Meanwhile the fans who are truly behind our team is forced to sit in the rafters...those are the TRUE UK FANS, those are the ones who still wear their Blue with Pride, even when the team is in a slump.

I will never turn my back on my coach and my team....and when UK does return to prominence, I don't want those "So called" fans back...they're more than welcome to cheer for the school down I-64 west about 70 miles!

I agree :Clap:
BlackcatAlum Wrote:I love the players on this UK team, but I'm not sold on Gillispie at all.

Yes there is enough talent on this team to receive atleast a 4-8 seed bid in the NCAA Tournament, but no we are a 4 seed in the NIT post-season tournament. Not to mention our head coach is a biggest ******* in Kentucky's sports history and obviously doesn't realize that Kentucky is not just another college basketball program, which he stated was. We TRUE Kentucky fans show pride, but when your coach is a ******* to the national media then it begins to look bad on the program. Gillispie has also began to blame losses on his players. Why do we even have a coach if the players don't listen? Maybe Gillispie should move on the NBA, because this is college, it takes a lot of effort to win on and off the court.

I agree with not booing the players because that is completely uncalled for, but it's because of Gillispie that players like Porter & Harris have been booed. When they are playing bad, make a substitution! Sometime I believe he leaves them in so that fans can give the players a hard time.

I'll give Gillispie another year to see what he can do with the players he recruited, but if he doesn't improve I'm sure he will be fired or ran-off.

I agree BCA. The players are playing hard, that is not the problem. The problem is our coach. I've said enough about him already and am done talking about him. He will have this year to see what he can do. If he likes his job, he better get the troops going next year.
outdoorsman43 Wrote:I agree BCA. The players are playing hard, that is not the problem. The problem is our coach. I've said enough about him already and am done talking about him. He will have this year to see what he can do. If he likes his job, he better get the troops going next year.

+1.. These guys tell the truth.
We are never satisfied with nothing. Us fans expect too much. Do you guys remember when Brooks said "I told you so". I have a feeling the next two years we are going to hear that come out of Billy mouth. I have faith as a true blue fan that it will turn around. The question is when is the fans patience going to be? I am a true blue fan of UK. I was the same with Atlanta Braves, and Green Bay Pakers. I love them whether they win or loose. Go Big Blue and good luck in the NIT.
cougarpride08 Wrote:We are never satisfied with nothing. Us fans expect too much. Do you guys remember when Brooks said "I told you so". I have a feeling the next two years we are going to hear that come out of Billy mouth. I have faith as a true blue fan that it will turn around. The question is when is the fans patience going to be? I am a true blue fan of UK. I was the same with Atlanta Braves, and Green Bay Pakers. I love them whether they win or loose. Go Big Blue and good luck in the NIT.

WE ARE KENTUCKY! Why be satisfied with an NIT birth?

Please do not compare Kentucky football with Kentucky basketball, because there is a huge difference between the two, not to mention Rich Brooks and Billy Gillispie are totally different people. One has respect (being Brooks) and the other doesn't from not only the fans, but the media.

There is no sense in not getting to the NCAA tournament with two all-americans on the team.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:WE ARE KENTUCKY! Why be satisfied with an NIT birth?

Please do not compare Kentucky football with Kentucky basketball, because there is a huge difference between the two, not to mention Rich Brooks and Billy Gillispie are totally different people. One has respect (being Brooks) and the other doesn't from not only the fans, but the media.

There is no sense in not getting to the NCAA tournament with two all-americans on the team.

Once again, another great post. There isn't anything I can add here.

This should be the mindset of all Kentucky fans!
A good portion of UK fans are spoiled and ignorant.

He can't coach.
He can't play.
We shouldn't lower ourselves to the NIT.

What a bunch of crap. UK has a loud portion of fans that demonstrate all that is wrong with sports.

Brooks got no respect and most fans on the chatboards and radio shows wanted him fired after year number two.

UK football and basketball are comparable. Brooks was left with a roster depleted of talent by probation. Gillispie was left with very little talent because the greatest fans in the world ran off a really good coach which set the program back at least 3 years. I don't think its fair to judge until there is a team full of talent and not just two players.
FBALL Wrote:A good portion of UK fans are spoiled and ignorant.

He can't coach.
He can't play.

What a bunch of crap. UK has a loud portion of fans that demonstrate all that is wrong with sports.

There is not a thing wrong with having pride or expectations. Gillispie can coach, but he was simply not the man for the job IMO. He simply has not coached long enough at this level to have the experience to lead Kentucky to a national championship.

FBALL Wrote:Brooks got no respect and most fans on the chatboards and radio shows wanted him fired after year number two.

UK football and basketball are comparable. Brooks was left with a roster depleted of talent by probation. Gillispie was left with very little talent because the greatest fans in the world ran off a really good coach which set the program back at least 3 years. I don't think its fair to judge until there is a team full of talent and not just two players.

Fans where calling for Brooks to be fired after two seasons, but he did have respect from the media. He didn't insult analysis and journalists every chance he had and he not once blamed his players for a loss.

Kentucky has talent. Players like Liggins, Miller, Stevenson, Stewart, and Harris where not rated as top 100 recruits for no reason. Problem is, Gillispie doesn't know how to use their strengths.

And yes, these are two different sports and not very comparable.

He can't coach.
He can't play.

Tell me, what exactly do you think is so "wrong with sports"?

He can't coach.
He can't play.

A good portion of all sports fans are ignorant. And there is nothing wrong with being spoiled. That's what having one of the top programs in the world will do for you. If you are not ticked off at being in the NIT, then you are a good loser. And a good loser is a loser. People who get on their high horse dogging people who voice displeasure at losing make me physically ill.

My rant is this: Anyone who is ashamed of their team's fan base should find another team. Preferably a team whose fans don't mind when they lose.
Why does everyone keep praising our football and Rich Brooks like we're competing for national championships? Like BCA said, quit comparing football and basketball, there's a world of difference.

No doubt, Tubby was a really good coach, but he wasn't going to get Kentucky where they needed to be. That's why he heard pressure from the fan base and that's why he left.

Also, play a new tune of about the fan base, they're the only reason Kentucky is one of the most prestigious programs in college basketball. And those fans you're talking about in the lower sections happen to donate thousands of dollars to the school, so don't be illiterate in saying they're not true fans.
listen we do have the best fans in the world but there is no reason to boo the players plain and simple. them boys are playing their hearts out for our enjoyment or in some cases displeasure. if you're not out there with them everyday practicing and everything then IMO you have no right to BOO! appreciate what we have and had in the first place.

So did Meeks and Patterson get All American Honors? I didn't know that.
cougarpride08 Wrote:So did Meeks and Patterson get All American Honors? I didn't know that.

Jodie Meeks did receive second team All-American honors according to SportingNews.com. Patterson will more than likely be on some All-American lists. Also, both did receive first-team All-SEC honors.

Aside from the above, you knew exactly what I meant, but is this the only argument you have to throw at me?

:popcorn:
BlackcatAlum Wrote:I love the players on this UK team, but I'm not sold on Gillispie at all.

Ok, here's my thing....... I agree with almost every post you make, rarely do I find myself having differing opinions with. Having said that I agree with alot of things your saying. But, something I do NOT agree with and will never do as long as I have a voice, fingers, or anything to voice my thoughts with is negatively comment on my Coach, university, or the fans of the University of Kentucky. It's just something I will NOT do. I know alot you might think that's dumb or stupid or whatever, but to me UK is sooo much more than just a college or basketball team. To me a fan should always stand beind his team and coach and untill the powers at be decide to make a change, they should keep their unhelpful negativity to themselves. Now I'm not saying we should all just play dumb and act like there is not a problem, because obviously there is. Is it our coach, athletic director, players, president, or even past coaches? Well thats yet to be seen, but shouldn't we all just take this one on the chin and ride out the storm and see if Coach Gillispie can put UK back on top of the "current" basketball world? I think so! Honestly, as a TRUE BLUE CAT fan I consider my self spoiled, we all should! Just to be a part of UK basketball, no matter how small I consider a blessing. We are the winningest program of all time and have SEVEN Nat'l titles. I know, I know this is the present not the past right? But, Look at Carolina in the 90's they had some plain terrible teams, and well they're back, and I'm sure we'll get back on top as well. Nobody wants to bring another banner back to the bluegrass more than me, and I know you all want immediate results but it's just not gonna happen that way. Next year I think we will all have a much better Idea of how things are really going untill then lets all do what true fans should do and support our team!

And if I've said it once I've said it a million time The University of Kentucky Fans are the absolute BEST in the world!!!!!! Where else do you get this kind of passion?
Me, I love UK Basketball. And, I like our coach.
Kyboy13 Wrote:Ok, here's my thing....... I agree with almost every post you make, rarely do I find myself having differing opinions with. Having said that I agree with alot of things your saying. But, something I do NOT agree with and will never do as long as I have a voice, fingers, or anything to voice my thoughts with is negatively comment on my Coach, university, or the fans of the University of Kentucky. It's just something I will NOT do. I know alot you might think that's dumb or stupid or whatever, but to me UK is sooo much more than just a college or basketball team. To me a fan should always stand beind his team and coach and untill the powers at be decide to make a change, they should keep their unhelpful negativity to themselves. Now I'm not saying we should all just play dumb and act like there is not a problem, because obviously there is. Is it our coach, athletic director, players, president, or even past coaches? Well thats yet to be seen, but shouldn't we all just take this one on the chin and ride out the storm and see if Coach Gillispie can put UK back on top of the "current" basketball world? I think so! Honestly, as a TRUE BLUE CAT fan I consider my self spoiled, we all should! Just to be a part of UK basketball, no matter how small I consider a blessing. We are the winningest program of all time and have SEVEN Nat'l titles. I know, I know this is the present not the past right? But, Look at Carolina in the 90's the has some plain terrible teams, and well they're back, and I'm sure we'll get back on top as well. Nobody wants to bring another banner back to the bluegrass more than me, and I know you all want immediate results but it's just not gonna happen that way. Next year I think we will all have a much better Idea of how things are really going untill then lets all do what true fans should do and support our team!

And if I've said it once I've said it a million time The University of Kentucky Fans are the absolute BEST in the world!!!!!! Where else do you get this kind of passion?

What a great post.:Clap:

I stated that I'll feel that Barnhardt should give Gillispie another season. I just want Gillispie to show the respect that our program deserves! I'd like to see him treat the media with respect and blame himself for the losses and not the players.

Another thing, you say UNC had bad years in the 90s, well they went through two coaches after legendary coach Dean Smith retired. Since Pitino has left Kentucky, we have went through one coach being Tubby Smith, who had a less than stellar career at Kentucky, but he was not putting banners in the rafters like we had hoped for. I'm not saying that we should fire Gillispie, I was just giving you a bit of a history lesson. Wink

Gillispie has yet to prove to the fans that he is commited to this program as he has yet to even sign his contract.
Stardust Wrote:Me, I love UK Basketball. And, I like our coach.

SD, I really like you and I think that you are one heck of a member and really appreciate everything you have brought to BGR since joining, but I disagree with you about coach Gillispie.

In all honestly, please sell me a pitch that would make me believe in this man after all the rude things he has done and all the losses to non-tournament teams (i.e. Gardner-Webb & VMI).
BlackcatAlum Wrote:What a great post.:Clap:

I stated that I'll feel that Barnhardt should give Gillispie another season. I just want Gillispie to show the respect that our program deserves with his cheap comments to the media and I'd also like to see him blame himself for losses instead of the players, that right there is completely uncalled for.

Another thing, you say UNC had bad years in the 90s, well they went through two coaches after legendary coach Dean Smith retired. Since Pitino has left Kentucky, we have went through one coach being Tubby Smith, who had a less than stellar career at Kentucky, but he was not putting banners in the rafters like we had hoped for. I'm not saying that we should fire Gillispie, I was just giving you a bit of a history lesson. Wink

Gillispie has yet to prove to the fans that he is commited to this program as he has yet to even sign his contract.

I understand your views on Gillispies attitude he can be "contrversial" at times lol..... But as for blaming players for losses, I can only think of one time when he's hinted toward that and then he went on to say it was still his fault. Obviously he's not the best public speaker in the world, but, every time I've heard him speak he talks of how great of a tradition we have at UK and how we have the best fans in the world. Now I'm not here to defend coach your entitled to your opinion and I won't try and change, but what good does it do to bash him and talk bad about him? It obviously doesn't help the players perform as, PPAT had to publicly defend his coach. The players honestly shouldn't have to worry about their coach, but because of certain types of fans they're forced to. So imo negativity causes nothing but bad........... As for your point about Tubby and UNC honestly I have no idea about what you where trying to prove??? I guess you wanted to put me down with your "History Lesson" thing. But, Tubby had an higher winning % then any other coach in D-I and won a Nat'l championship, so I would say he had a pretty solid career.
Kyboy13 Wrote:I understand your views on Gillispies attitude he can be "contrversial" at times lol..... But as for blaming players for losses, I can only think of one time when he's hinted toward that and then he went on to say it was still his fault. Obviously he's not the best public speaker in the world, but, every time I've heard him speak he talks of how great of a tradition we have at UK and how we have the best fans in the world. Now I'm not here to defend coach your entitled to your opinion and I won't try and change, but what good does it do to bash him and talk bad about him? It obviously doesn't help the players perform as, PPAT had to publicly defend his coach. The players honestly shouldn't have to worry about their coach, but because of certain types of fans they're forced to. So imo negativity causes nothing but bad........... As for your point about Tubby and UNC honestly I have no idea about what you where trying to prove??? I guess you wanted to put me down with your "History Lesson" thing. But, Tubby had an higher winning % then any other coach in D-I and won a Nat'l championship, so I would say he had a pretty solid career.

If coach Gillispie cannot take constructive criticism then we obviously have more problems than what most first thought. Kentucky fans (including myself) at least want to make it to the NCAA tournament and beat teams like Gardner-Webb & VMI. Of course players & coaches are going to hear some grows from the fans when they lose games to those caliber of teams and not make the NCAA Tournament. There is not a thing wrong with wanting to win.

I stated that Tubby had a less than stellar career, which means that he had a great career at Kentucky. Plus, he won the '98 national championship with Rick Pitino's players. A pee-wee coach could have won the NCAA Championship with that team.

As for the UNC comment, you stated that in the 90s UNC had some terrible teams and I simply tried to tell you that they had went through two coaches to get back to their elite prestige and that Kentucky has only gone through one coach, being Tubby Smith. Again, not trying to say that we should fire Gillispie, just something I thought I would run across you and others.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:Jodie Meeks did receive second team All-American honors according to SportingNews.com. Patterson will more than likely be on some All-American lists. Also, both did receive first-team All-SEC honors.

Aside from the above, you knew exactly what I meant, but is this the only argument you have to throw at me?

:popcorn:

My only true problem is we as UK fans want to have this guy fired and his recruits haven't even hit the floor yet. The way I see it, we need just as UK fans need to show patience. Being in the NIT is probably the best thing that can happen to this program. I was just using Coach Brooks as a example. I wasn't comparing the two.
I don't wanna get into a tubby thing but to me his winning% and Nat'l Championship speaks loud enough. It's obvious to me that UK probably wouldn't have won that title without Tubby, not saying that with the right coach we couldn't have. But look at all the overwhelming favorites and great teams that haven't won titles. Yeah there are alot so if Tubby didn't come in after Rick left or another Coach that meshed well with the team, and players then that banner would not be hanging in Rupp Arena. Not just anyone can win with great players(however it does make it alot easier lol).............

Ok, now I get your comment about NC the two coach thing lol. Maybe It will take two coaching changes, honestly I don't know, but I just believe we should give OUR coach some more time........ I think alot of you would agree Coach K is one of the best of all time and after his 1st 3yrs at "dook" 90% of the "dookies" wanted his head! All I'm saying is we should all try and be patient and supportive and believe me I know it's hard lol.
cougarpride08 Wrote:My only true problem is we as UK fans want to have this guy fired and his recruits haven't even hit the floor yet. The way I see it, we need just as UK fans need to show patience. Being in the NIT is probably the best thing that can happen to this program. I was just using Coach Brooks as a example. I wasn't comparing the two.

I stated that I would give him another year.

Also, Gillispie has 5 players on this roster that he and his staff recruited being Harrellson, Galloway, Liggins, Miller, and Donald Williams.

I just do not see the NIT being the best thing for us either. We had enough talent this season to make the NCAA Tournament and it was proven when we defeated and competed with numerous teams in the NCAA Tournament. But losses to VMI, Georgia, Ole Miss, and Auburn killed this teams tournament hopes.

I'm still going to support UK through the thick and thin, but if we do not finish within the top 3 of the SEC and at least get by the first round of the NCAA then changes have got to be made.
I would never boo a player.. However Ky is RICH with history and has an awesome legacy. And I will not cheer for a coach who says, they don't really care to much about history.. Everything I've heard from BCG has made me mad at some point or another. It's obvious that he doesn't care about the fan base. He doesn't care about tradition, therefore he doesn't care that the fans are ****ed about going to the NIT.. 17 years we have been in the NCAA tournament. 3rd longest streak in the nation.. That's gone. KY currently has the most wins ever.. But UNC is closing in fast.. Why?? Because of a couple coaches who think the fans should be happy with 20 win seasons, and a second round out of the tournament.

Call me a fairweather fan if you want. I dont' give a crap.. But since the Duke/UK game in 92, I have tried to watch every game played, and i used to take pride in saying I was a wildcat fan. When I went to Mass. every summer people would come up to me and my family and say stuff like, "how bout them wildcats" or something like that, showing that UK was a tough team and they had a target on their back. That doesn't happen anymore. Ky is just another team in the SEC, that can be tough at times, but any team can beat.

So bite me if you don't like the fact that Billy G. is an *******, and he needs to learn what it is to be a wildcat.
crazytaxidriver Wrote:I would never boo a player.. However Ky is RICH with history and has an awesome legacy. And I will not cheer for a coach who says, they don't really care to much about history.. Everything I've heard from BCG has made me mad at some point or another. It's obvious that he doesn't care about the fan base. He doesn't care about tradition, therefore he doesn't care that the fans are ****ed about going to the NIT.. 17 years we have been in the NCAA tournament. 3rd longest streak in the nation.. That's gone. KY currently has the most wins ever.. But UNC is closing in fast.. Why?? Because of a couple coaches who think the fans should be happy with 20 win seasons, and a second round out of the tournament.

Call me a fairweather fan if you want. I dont' give a crap.. But since the Duke/UK game in 92, I have tried to watch every game played, and i used to take pride in saying I was a wildcat fan. When I went to Mass. every summer people would come up to me and my family and say stuff like, "how bout them wildcats" or something like that, showing that UK was a tough team and they had a target on their back. That doesn't happen anymore. Ky is just another team in the SEC, that can be tough at times, but any team can beat.

So bite me if you don't like the fact that Billy G. is an *******, and he needs to learn what it is to be a wildcat.

Couldn't agree more.

Some of these fans just don't see anything that he does as wrong or negative towards the program.
Kyboy13 Wrote:Ok, here's my thing....... I agree with almost every post you make, rarely do I find myself having differing opinions with. Having said that I agree with alot of things your saying. But, something I do NOT agree with and will never do as long as I have a voice, fingers, or anything to voice my thoughts with is negatively comment on my Coach, university, or the fans of the University of Kentucky. It's just something I will NOT do. I know alot you might think that's dumb or stupid or whatever, but to me UK is sooo much more than just a college or basketball team. To me a fan should always stand beind his team and coach and untill the powers at be decide to make a change, they should keep their unhelpful negativity to themselves. Now I'm not saying we should all just play dumb and act like there is not a problem, because obviously there is. Is it our coach, athletic director, players, president, or even past coaches? Well thats yet to be seen, but shouldn't we all just take this one on the chin and ride out the storm and see if Coach Gillispie can put UK back on top of the "current" basketball world? I think so! Honestly, as a TRUE BLUE CAT fan I consider my self spoiled, we all should! Just to be a part of UK basketball, no matter how small I consider a blessing. We are the winningest program of all time and have SEVEN Nat'l titles. I know, I know this is the present not the past right? But, Look at Carolina in the 90's they had some plain terrible teams, and well they're back, and I'm sure we'll get back on top as well. Nobody wants to bring another banner back to the bluegrass more than me, and I know you all want immediate results but it's just not gonna happen that way. Next year I think we will all have a much better Idea of how things are really going untill then lets all do what true fans should do and support our team!

This is the best post in this thread. I agree with all of this, if your a true fan you will support your team regardless of the situation. Through the good and bad times the Cats need their fans to support them and not antagonize them and their coach which they have went on record saying, specifically Pat and Michael. If Billy is fired or quits, sure I will support that decision if that is in the best interest of the team, but right now it isn't. Billy leaves now we risk losing Orton, Ferguson, Hood, and a few others that are talking to the Cats, that in addition to the likelihood of Jodie and Pat Pat leaving because they will not want to learn a new system will set us back even further. If your going to support this team then support them, I know much of this state bleeds blue and we need to show it. This team is in the process of loading up and we will emerge once again and become the Roman Empire that we once was but it's going to need a couple of years. Look at UConn, UL, UNC, etc. where were they these past few years and before hand; they were in the N.I.T. They all had their struggles and are now on top of their game, its all a process and we are rallying yet again. We have a game tommorow night so let's support our CATS and GO BIG BLUE!
Pages: 1 2