Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: My Rant....UK's "So Called Fans"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Well us Kentucky fans are in deed the greatest in the world. What other teams fans get so worked up over thier team, no one does and we should be proud that we have the greatest program in college basketball and all of sports, the yankees are the Kentucky Wildcats of the majors. Now yeah we have been of now for the last 4 seasons which has went on way to long, I hate how people say we havent done nothing recently not to long ago we were a 2 seed and in the elite 8(should have been final4) and a year before that we were a 1 seed and I believe the year before that to correct me if im wrong. Us Kentucky fans need to stay strong and support each other and our team, now is the time for people who dont like Kentucky to attack us and trust me their gonna try and make us look as bad as they can so that we wont be able to climb back, but thats not what Kentucky is about. Were gonna climb from this dark place we have been for 4 long years and were gonna punch everyone in the face when we walk by them with another banner! My opinion on Gillispie is I like him, I like his style why should he be nice to the media when they try and make us look bad, if a team has a good highlight agaisnt Kentucky it seems like they show it over and over again, the incident were Gillispie said "thats a bad question" to the reporter on ESPN well it was a bad question and he followed up after that with an anwser to what Kentucky needed to do in the 2nd half. Lets start looking at the positives of out team, our coach, and our fans and lets bring home #8
BlackcatAlum Wrote:If coach Gillispie cannot take constructive criticism then we obviously have more problems than what most first thought. Kentucky fans (including myself) at least want to make it to the NCAA tournament and beat teams like Gardner-Webb & VMI. Of course players & coaches are going to hear some grows from the fans when they lose games to those caliber of teams and not make the NCAA Tournament. There is not a thing wrong with wanting to win.

I stated that Tubby had a less than stellar career, which means that he had a great career at Kentucky. Plus, he won the '98 national championship with Rick Pitino's players. A pee-wee coach could have won the NCAA Championship with that team.

As for the UNC comment, you stated that in the 90s UNC had some terrible teams and I simply tried to tell you that they had went through two coaches to get back to their elite prestige and that Kentucky has only gone through one coach, being Tubby Smith. Again, not trying to say that we should fire Gillispie, just something I thought I would run across you and others.

Bill Guthridge took over for UNC in 1997 only because Dean Smith unexpectedly retired, he did though take UNC to the Final Four in 98' and 00' so they did have success with him. The only reason they had to bring in Daughtery was because Guthridge retired, granted he didn't have success but it was really only one coach though that was unsuccessful.
Do some of you people not read a newspaper? The man said in sundays lexington herald that UK is just another school and pretty much nothing special. This coming two years after he said he wouldnt want to be anywhere else and that it was the best coaching gig in the country. Sounds kind of contradictory to me. Even Porter, no surprise, is defending the coach and so is Patterson. Patterson said if the fans could coach any better then they should come down and try it, im sure that wouldnt be too hard. To me it seems the players are right with the coach in not knowing what they have in UK. Do they not know what UK basketball is about? I seriously doubt it. Seems to me they could care less about winning and keeping up the tradition and history that is UK basketball. After reading what I read in the paper and hearing the things ive heard, Id rather have all the players leave and start completely over with a new coach and new players, pretty much what Indiana is now doing. Remember their downfall started when they fired Bobby Knight, and had been going down for a long time and hit rock bottom with Sampson and his misdeeds. Now they have a really good coach and a bunch of new players and watch and see if they arent back to the way they were in about 2-3 years, if not sooner. I wouldnt mind UK going through that to get the right people in here, people that actually give a **** about what they are doing at UK.
Sports_Fan28 Wrote:Do some of you people not read a newspaper? The man said in sundays lexington herald that UK is just another school and pretty much nothing special. This coming two years after he said he wouldnt want to be anywhere else and that it was the best coaching gig in the country. Sounds kind of contradictory to me. Even Porter, no surprise, is defending the coach and so is Patterson. Patterson said if the fans could coach any better then they should come down and try it, im sure that wouldnt be too hard. To me it seems the players are right with the coach in not knowing what they have in UK. Do they not know what UK basketball is about? I seriously doubt it. Seems to me they could care less about winning and keeping up the tradition and history that is UK basketball. After reading what I read in the paper and hearing the things ive heard, Id rather have all the players leave and start completely over with a new coach and new players, pretty much what Indiana is now doing. Remember their downfall started when they fired Bobby Knight, and had been going down for a long time and hit rock bottom with Sampson and his misdeeds. Now they have a really good coach and a bunch of new players and watch and see if they arent back to the way they were in about 2-3 years, if not sooner. I wouldnt mind UK going through that to get the right people in here, people that actually give a **** about what they are doing at UK.

Pitino was our Knight, and Tubby was our Sampson towards the end of his tenure at UK. Gilispie is a good coach and hey the players know the tradition of UK or thewy wouldnt have came here. At least the players have the coaches back.
If any of you had ever been around Gillispie and his players you would know he is a stand up guy and would defend his players to the end.

I have seen it in person. I honestly believe most of the players on this team would have their coaches back. I also believe there will be a big turnaround next season with the addition of the talent comming in. If the powers that be and the many alumni that think they run the athletic program give them a chance.
devilhorns05 Wrote:Well us Kentucky fans are in deed the greatest in the world. What other teams fans get so worked up over thier team, no one does and we should be proud that we have the greatest program in college basketball and all of sports, the yankees are the Kentucky Wildcats of the majors. Now yeah we have been of now for the last 4 seasons which has went on way to long, I hate how people say we havent done nothing recently not to long ago we were a 2 seed and in the elite 8(should have been final4) and a year before that we were a 1 seed and I believe the year before that to correct me if im wrong. Us Kentucky fans need to stay strong and support each other and our team, now is the time for people who dont like Kentucky to attack us and trust me their gonna try and make us look as bad as they can so that we wont be able to climb back, but thats not what Kentucky is about. Were gonna climb from this dark place we have been for 4 long years and were gonna punch everyone in the face when we walk by them with another banner! My opinion on Gillispie is I like him, I like his style why should he be nice to the media when they try and make us look bad, if a team has a good highlight agaisnt Kentucky it seems like they show it over and over again, the incident were Gillispie said "thats a bad question" to the reporter on ESPN well it was a bad question and he followed up after that with an anwser to what Kentucky needed to do in the 2nd half. Lets start looking at the positives of out team, our coach, and our fans and lets bring home #8

How do you think this looks to parents of future UK recruits? I sure wouldn't want to send my kid to a school where the coach is a jerk.

BlackcatFootball Wrote:Bill Guthridge took over for UNC in 1997 only because Dean Smith unexpectedly retired, he did though take UNC to the Final Four in 98' and 00' so they did have success with him. The only reason they had to bring in Daughtery was because Guthridge retired, granted he didn't have success but it was really only one coach though that was unsuccessful.

You forgot to add your source to the end of your post, actually I'll do it for you.

www.wikipedia.org
I guarantee you that UK wont be much better next season if gillispie returns with his, as u people call them "players". I also dont doubt that the alumni could do a way better job of running the athletics department, especially when it comes to the basketball program. They and REAL fans know what UK is all about and what kind of coach should be coaching. Anytime people are ok with UK being an NIT team with a less than mediocre coach, that to me is pure stupidity. One last thing, how in the **** can you compare Tubby to Sampson, Tubby never made any recruiting violations and got the school in trouble, so that could be considered an insult to a great man and even better coach.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:How do you think this looks to parents of future UK recruits? I sure wouldn't want to send my kid to a school where the coach is a jerk.

You forgot to add your source to the end of your post, actually I'll do it for you.

www.wikipedia.org

Regardless whether I got the part about how Guthridge came in or not it's still the facts.
Sports_Fan28 Wrote:I guarantee you that UK wont be much better next season if gillispie returns with his, as u people call them "players". I also dont doubt that the alumni could do a way better job of running the athletics department, especially when it comes to the basketball program. They and REAL fans know what UK is all about and what kind of coach should be coaching. Anytime people are ok with UK being an NIT team with a less than mediocre coach, that to me is pure stupidity. One last thing, how in the **** can you compare Tubby to Sampson, Tubby never made any recruiting violations and got the school in trouble, so that could be considered an insult to a great man and even better coach.

Just because im for our coach and our players doesnt mean im satisfied with the nit, it hurt me bad when we didnt make it and it should not happen at this program. Well I wasnt saying Tubby had violations or anything I liked Tubby but he caused the dropoff for our program and I compared him to Sampson only because he caused Indiana's huge huge huge dropoff. All I have to say is at least we dont have it as bad as Indiana.
BelfryPride Wrote:All my life I have been a UK fan and that will never change. I am so sick and tired of this fanbase for booing the players at Rupp and wanting the coach fired after two years.
Kentucky has the best fans in the world and the worst fans in the world....

I am saddened of course that Kentucky is missing the Big Dance just like everyone else, but you should never boo players that get up and practice before some of our lazy fans even roll out of bed.

Some of them are acting like 3 year olds that don't get their way and throw a tantrum.....

You could not pay me enough money to come in here and put up with the wine and cheese fanbase that sit on their hands during the game and keep quiet. Meanwhile the fans who are truly behind our team is forced to sit in the rafters...those are the TRUE UK FANS, those are the ones who still wear their Blue with Pride, even when the team is in a slump.

I will never turn my back on my coach and my team....and when UK does return to prominence, I don't want those "So called" fans back...they're more than welcome to cheer for the school down I-64 west about 70 miles!

I do not think most boo the players, I think they are booing the coach. I do not think it makes you a bad fan to boo a coach if you think he is making obvious mistakes. You can not be an intelligent fan and not admitt some concern about some of his coaching this year regardless of the talent on the team. I will always bleed blue and support this team regardless of who is coaching but that does not mean I have to like the coach or all the players over the years. And I bet you could be paid enough to put up with the backlash BCG is receiving. He is paid a sickening amount of money to keep UK at the top and criticisim and booing in times of failure are expected and justified. Billy is a grown man and came into the job knowing what would be expected and the consenquences if he failed. He needs to be held accountable and after his bosses assess his performance, if he is fired, no one should feel sorry for him. He was paid very well and there will be other schools lining up for him.Players should never be booed. They are kids who work harder than most students between school work and practice. Nomatter who is coaching or what players are on the team next year, I will continue like every year to cheer like crazy and hope my team gets back into the big dance. I will also continue to cheer them on in the NIT this year.
Let me say this... Would all of you that are bashing Coach G be doing the same thing if Billy D. was here.. answer that..... Because if I am not mistaken he has missed the Big Dance the last two years in a row.... Yes thats right the all mighty Billy D hasnt had a team make the the big dance the last two years if not mistake or maybe its the last 2 out of 3.....
Batpuff Wrote:Let me say this... Would all of you that are bashing Coach G be doing the same thing if Billy D. was here.. answer that..... Because if I am not mistaken he has missed the Big Dance the last two years in a row.... Yes thats right the all mighty Billy D hasnt had a team make the the big dance the last two years if not mistake or maybe its the last 2 out of 3.....

First of all I am not one of the ones who are bashing the man, only criticizing. Secondly, yes, I do believe Billy Donovan would receive the same amount of criticism if he was the coach at UK and hadn't made the NCAA tournament. Thirdly, I don't think it his coaching ability, as Donovan lost all 5 starters after two straight national championships.

I'm sure that the 2-straight national championship honeymoon is over now in Gainesville as Billy Donovan has missed out on the last two NCAA tournaments.
I never wanted Billy D as UK coach anyway so saying that I would be bashing him as well is not accurate. He is the better coach of the 2, but he also has the cocky attitude like gillispie.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:First of all I am not one of the ones who are bashing the man, only criticizing. Secondly, yes, I do believe Billy Donovan would receive the same amount of criticism if he was the coach at UK and hadn't made the NCAA tournament. Thirdly, I don't think it his coaching ability, as Donovan lost all 5 starters after two straight national championships.

I'm sure that the 2-straight national championship honeymoon is over now in Gainesville as Billy Donovan has missed out on the last two NCAA tournaments.

And I bet Floida fans still love him no matter what.
Batpuff Wrote:Let me say this... Would all of you that are bashing Coach G be doing the same thing if Billy D. was here.. answer that..... Because if I am not mistaken he has missed the Big Dance the last two years in a row.... Yes thats right the all mighty Billy D hasnt had a team make the the big dance the last two years if not mistake or maybe its the last 2 out of 3.....

I would.. I don't care who they bring in. As long as they are winners.
I just want rick back!
cougarpride08 Wrote:And I bet Floida fans still love him no matter what.

Probably so, because Florida basketball plays second-fiddle to the football program.
What an awesome crowd --- for the NIT!!!

99.8% of all UK fans represent all that is good about sports!
Pages: 1 2