Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Problem at UK
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
The main problem is Mitch Barnhart. He is not a Ky person. He has no idea about tradition and expectations. I had him speak to our group of athletes once and while driving I asked if Brooks was to leave would he go after a big name to take over and he said NO, Kentucky is not in position to compete year in and out for a national title. I think that explains his understanding of our sports program. He is shooting for a winning season and nothing more. Look at his record he has screwed all sports he has touched. His girls coach who had Ky on the right path quits, and says she needs a break then takes a job somewhere else, loses Tubby without notice then blows any chance of a solid coach and then has to settle for Billy G. We see where that got us. Look at the baseball program again a great coach leaves and goes to another school, I dont think Oregon is a national contender year in and year out for any sport. Lets get a proven winner and not settle for mediocracy anymore.
I Say clean house and start with the biggest loser at UK, Fire Barnhart
i agree
I totally agree with you. He is a terrible AD.
How long has Barnhart been here?
Is this the same guy who hired Rich Brooks and John Cohen, two coaches that have taken mediocre Football and Baseball programs to national acclaim. Here we go again.........
Stardust Wrote:Is this the same guy who hired Rich Brooks and John Cohen, two coaches that have taken mediocre Football and Baseball programs to national acclaim. Here we go again.........

Let's not get ahead of ourselves... :biggrin:
DeuceUL Wrote:Let's not get ahead of ourselves... :biggrin:

Exactly what I was thinking.
UK is and always has been a basketball school. While the football team and baseball teams are winning, not too many people really care if the basketball team isn't successful. I'd much rather have a national contender in basketball than a bottom feeder bowl game any day of the year.
So then you all agree that the problem as this thread originates is Barnhart, the same guy that has made hires that brought the Football and Baseball teams out of the depths of muck, and we are going to not give a chance to see if BCG can do the same?

This thread states the problem with UK is Barnhart, do you all agree with that? Re-read the originating post, respond to that!
Stardust Wrote:Is this the same guy who hired Rich Brooks and John Cohen, two coaches that have taken mediocre Football and Baseball programs to national acclaim. Here we go again.........

This is the way I feel.

We should not be calling for Barnhart's head right now.

During Rich Brooks first few seasons, everyone was screaming "FIRE RICH BROOKS, FIRE HIM NOW!"

Well Brooks wasn't fired and UK football rose up to win 3 consecutive bowl games, something that had never been done.

Now, I would guess that 99% of UK football fans would not want Rich Brooks to be let go at the moment.

The same needs to happen with Billy G. He needs to be able to stay here and get his recruits in before we can start questioning his abilities. Once Billy G. has his Seniors on the floor, then, and only then, should we start questioning that hire.

IMO, the main thing UK fans need right now is patience. Rome wasn't built in a day, and something as complex as UK basketball with several factors such as talent, fan support, and recruiting, cannot be rebuilt in a year or two.

The presence of a new coach should not mean that the program will change immediately, and UK fans are asking too much of the program for this to happen.

People, I feel your pain. I would love to see UK in the final four, I would love to see UK win the championship. During my time as a student at UK, I wanted nothing more than to be there when they won number 8, but it didn't happen. I have faced reality, and some of you need to face that reality as well.

What would happen if Billy G. was fired? What good-quality coach in his right mind would want to come in to a situation where the thought will always be in the back of his mind that one or two sub-par seasons could put him out the door on his butt?

If Billy G. were to be fired, I guarantee that during interviewing, prospective coaches would say, "Can you promise me more than two years to turn the program around?" Taking on a new job is no easy task, and it makes UK look unattractive if job security is not there. No coach wants to relocate himself or his family every year or two.

Again, we need to grasp that it's ok for us as UK fans to feel bad that UK may not make the big dance this year (would we even get past the first round if we made it?).

If we could all have the patience with Gillispie that Barnhart had with Brooks, I think we would see very good things come out of UK basketball.
For once, I 100% agree with you CE.
ComfortEagle Wrote:This is the way I feel.

During Rich Brooks first few seasons, everyone was screaming "FIRE RICH BROOKS, FIRE HIM NOW!"

Well Brooks wasn't fired and UK football rose up to win 3 consecutive bowl games, something that had never been done.

Now, I would guess that 99% of UK football fans would not want Rich Brooks to be let go at the moment.

The same needs to happen with Billy G. He needs to be able to stay here and get his recruits in before we can start questioning his abilities. Once Billy G. has his Seniors on the floor, then, and only then, should we start questioning that hire.

IMO, the main thing UK fans need right now is patience. Rome wasn't built in a day, and something as complex as UK basketball with several factors such as talent, fan support, and recruiting, cannot be rebuilt in a year or two.

The presence of a new coach should not mean that the program will change immediately, and UK fans are asking too much of the program for this to happen.

People, I feel your pain. I would love to see UK in the final four, I would love to see UK win the championship. During my time as a student at UK, I wanted nothing more than to be there when they won number 8, but it didn't happen. I have faced reality, and some of you need to face that reality as well.

What would happen if Billy G. was fired? What good-quality coach in his right mind would want to come in to a situation where the thought will always be in the back of his mind that one or two sub-par seasons could put him out the door on his butt?

If Billy G. were to be fired, I guarantee that during interviewing, prospective coaches would say, "Can you promise me more than two years to turn the program around?" Taking on a new job is no easy task, and it makes UK look unattractive if job security is not there. No coach wants to relocate himself or his family every year or two.

Again, we need to grasp that it's ok for us as UK fans to feel bad that UK may not make the big dance this year (would we even get past the first round if we made it?).

If we could all have the patience with Gillispie that Barnhart had with Brooks, I think we would see very good things come out of UK basketball.

:Thumbs:
ComfortEagle, I could not have come close to describing my own thoughts as well as you just have. Great post, very thought provoking.

:Thumbs:
ComfortEagle Wrote:This is the way I feel.

Listen, while I understand the point you are trying to make, let's look at it this way. Gillispie has recruited multiple 4 and 5 star athletes since he has been here. Many of them are currently on the roster now. But, how many do you see playing significant minutes? Liggins? Negative Miller? Sure but he only averages 5 PPG. Harrellson? Negative Galloway? Negative Legion? Transferred. You can make a case for Patterson, but the day he signed his LOI, he told us that he was basically coming to UK anyways because of the distance between his house and UK. Tubby was previously recruiting him anyways so it would have taken a lot not to get Patterson.

So basically what I'm trying to say is, why should we wait on Gillispie to get his "talent" here when he's not playing the "talent" he has already placed on the team? Who's to say that Orton, Villarino, or Hood even get to play next year? Who's to say Pilgrim is going to be worth anything? I mean he did average a whopping 7 PPG at Hampton.

While your argument is certainly understandable, I just don't think UK can afford to wait on Clyde. This program can't be set back anymore than what it already is. Technically, we are already set back to 1979 considering that's the last time a UK team participated in the NIT. So really, we can't be set back anymore if we make a coaching change. We can only go up from here. Especially if Calipari is the coach. Cal goes to UK, and all of his amazing recruits will follow. And his recruits aren't the ones that stay around 4 years, they are amazingly talented athletes that play one year and go pro. So you can't tell me that he couldn't turn this program around in 1 year with the talent he brings in.

Also, North Carolina had a coach by the name of Matt Doherty. He was axed by the University after 2 years because he simply didn't cut it at UNC. There was one year of the two where the Tar Heels missed the post-season tournament so they cut him loose. Just a few short weeks after Doherty was let go, Roy Williams was brought in. So the point is, coaches understand that elite programs won't put up with coaches who run the program down. If UK fires Gillispie, this will in no way affect who comes in as our next coach.
BCF4L Wrote:Listen, while I understand the point you are trying to make, let's look at it this way. Gillispie has recruited multiple 4 and 5 star athletes since he has been here. Many of them are currently on the roster now. But, how many do you see playing significant minutes? Liggins? Negative Miller? Sure but he only averages 5 PPG. Harrellson? Negative Galloway? Negative Legion? Transferred. You can make a case for Patterson, but the day he signed his LOI, he told us that he was basically coming to UK anyways because of the distance between his house and UK. Tubby was previously recruiting him anyways so it would have taken a lot not to get Patterson.

So basically what I'm trying to say is, why should we wait on Gillispie to get his "talent" here when he's not playing the "talent" he has already placed on the team? Who's to say that Orton, Villarino, or Hood even get to play next year? Who's to say Pilgrim is going to be worth anything? I mean he did average a whopping 7 PPG at Hampton.

While your argument is certainly understandable, I just don't think UK can afford to wait on Clyde. This program can't be set back anymore than what it already is. Technically, we are already set back to 1979 considering that's the last time a UK team participated in the NIT. So really, we can't be set back anymore if we make a coaching change. We can only go up from here. Especially if Calipari is the coach. Cal goes to UK, and all of his amazing recruits will follow. And his recruits aren't the ones that stay around 4 years, they are amazingly talented athletes that play one year and go pro. So you can't tell me that he couldn't turn this program around in 1 year with the talent he brings in.

Also, North Carolina had a coach by the name of Matt Doherty. He was axed by the University after 2 years because he simply didn't cut it at UNC. There was one year of the two where the Tar Heels missed the post-season tournament so they cut him loose. Just a few short weeks after Doherty was let go, Roy Williams was brought in. So the point is, coaches understand that elite programs won't put up with coaches who run the program down. If UK fires Gillispie, this will in no way affect who comes in as our next coach.

At some point he has to play HIS talent. We have two years to see if it plays out. He's going no where, no matter how the masses feel about him. I'm taking the glass is 1/2 full, not 1/2 empty. All this rhetoric is for naught. For those who want him, gone "it ain't happen'n". We can either give it time, or continue to grow restless. The sad thing is that so many are giving him the same chance that they game our Football coach during his initial reign.

As for Doherty - Night and Day comparison. Doherty had no credentials to prove that he could turn a program around. BCG has had one year of recruiting, but based on his history, has proved he can take the big dog's to the dance.
BCF4L Wrote:Listen, while I understand the point you are trying to make, let's look at it this way. Gillispie has recruited multiple 4 and 5 star athletes since he has been here. Many of them are currently on the roster now. But, how many do you see playing significant minutes? Liggins? Negative Miller? Sure but he only averages 5 PPG. Harrellson? Negative Galloway? Negative Legion? Transferred. You can make a case for Patterson, but the day he signed his LOI, he told us that he was basically coming to UK anyways because of the distance between his house and UK. Tubby was previously recruiting him anyways so it would have taken a lot not to get Patterson.

Another good post
I would like to make a case for those who are saying Barnhart has patience with Coach Brooks. At the end of the season of 05' Barnhart had a metting with all trustees and boosters of the football program. The meeting was to talk about letting Brooks go because Barnhart did not want to wait to see what he could produce. He was going to present a notion to let go Brooks and to tell the trustees and Boosters who he was looking at to bring in as the coach for the 06 season. However, the big name Boosters three in general and one from Pikeville told Mr. Barnhart that if he was to let go of Brooks that they would no longer fund the football program or University in any way. Thus, they made a counter argument Barnhart realized the football team and University would lose alot from this and he gave Brooks two more years to see if he could improve. So honestly it wasnt Barnhart who had the patience with Brooks it was the Boosters and Trustees who wanted Brooks to stay, so Barnhart agreed.

This is fact not fiction take it for what you want but that is how the Brooks situation turned out. I dont completly like Barnhart and wouldnt be upset to see him go but he is a nice guy and has done a few things right. However, to think he should recieve the glory of keeping Brooks is a false notion. I say if we get rid of him lets get rid of Lee Todd as well dont care much for him.
Well I have to agree with you. I have been around young people for many years and I can tell you that the morale on the team stinks beyond belief. Coach G says everything is his fault and at the same time that he takes the responsibility for it but he also says it is nothing more than doing things right!!!! No I see thru all the haze that he seemingly has and there standing before him is the fact that he has no idea how to work these players into the ranking they should be currently holding.
At first when he first came I noticed that he had a difficult time expressing himself and now that I have listened to him for two seasons I know that he is just not intelligent enough to run a Kentucky Basketball Team and who should be spotting this of all people but Mitch.... running his own show. I can't really see anything that he has done in the past three or four years. I agree get him and Todd out the way and take some new blood. Things have gotten stale because those folks in charge are stale..... reach out and get some new blood....Bring in Bobby Knight........ Let Brooks take Todd's place and lets see what the **** happens.. I'll bet you will see some results................ besides the college needs refreshing as well as all other areas surrounding the Kentucky Wildcats.
Gitr.Done.
I feel he has done some things right. #1 is bringing rich brooks who has tourned around football, #2 not signing Billy G to a contract was smart too, and #3 getting us a new place to play basketball in three or four years which is in the works. The bad things he has done is #1 not being careful about who he hired as basketball coach, #2 went too fast on hiring the girls basketball coach, and #3 not trying to keep Cohen as baseball coach. IMO!
cougarpride08 Wrote:I feel he has done some things right. #1 is bringing rich brooks who has tourned around football, #2 not signing Billy G to a contract was smart too, and #3 getting us a new place to play basketball in three or four years which is in the works. The bad things he has done is #1 not being careful about who he hired as basketball coach, #2 went too fast on hiring the girls basketball coach, and #3 not trying to keep Cohen as baseball coach. IMO!

Good Post:Thumbs:
He has made our sports program interesting to say the least.
DeuceUL Wrote:Let's not get ahead of ourselves... :biggrin:

It's not that far of a stretch. Did Kentucky baseball not host some early round games of the College World Series? Was Kentucky football not highly ranked in the nation a year ago?
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Go KENTUCKY WILDCATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Hey guys we got a game thursday so lets start talking about more positive things or were gonna drive or tournament hopes into the ground. Last year the fans helped the CATS turn it around and make the tournament. Does anyone think that tampa florida is gonna become Catampa!!!!!
Barnhart is a football man. Since he got on board UK's Football has went threw the roof and Basketball well you can see how that has been. I say FIRE BARNHART this year and Gillispie Next
problem at UK is fans being impatient and the media blowing it up even worse
The football program has won 3 bowl games in a row. Now do you see UK competing for a SEC title or a national title anywhere in the future. If you are saisfied with 8-5 every year then good for you, but I do not believe Brooks can gp to the next level. He has done well to get here. His career winning percentadge is somewhere around 460. Not exactly what great coaches shhot for. As far as Baseball he also lost the best coach UK had in a while. The man is an average AD and his programs reflect mediocrity. If winning 20 in basketball is your lofty goal then Barnmart is probaly your guy. But for me if I am competing I want it all and I an not afraid to shoot the big enchilada. I guess it matters where your expectations are.
How many times do you people have to bring up what gillispie has done at other schools, it means absolutely nothing. They were not in the tradition of UK so it was no big deal to them if they barely won 20 games a season. Again I say, I never expected the man to come in and win a championship his first season, but to lose 10 or more games in both years and not win more than 20 both years is not saying alot to help his case in "turning a program around". Yeah its great that the football team is on the rise and the baseball team playing good the last few years, but really, who gives a ****. Everyone in their right mind knows the 2 things Kentucky is most famous for, Horses and UK basketball, no one has ever really cared about anything else sports wise. Why do you people, stardust, comforteagle, and whoever else, why do you keep going on and on about gillispie and barnhardt so much, when if you would open your **** eyes would realize that neither are getting anything positive done with the sport that matters here, basketball. Oh and by the way, its true that Rome wasn't built in a day, but do you remember what happened after it was, it FELL, and thats exactly what is going on with UK basketball now, the empire is falling and you people are too stupid to realize where the blame lies.
duh they got a problem is called billy g
JOBAKKA Wrote:The football program has won 3 bowl games in a row. Now do you see UK competing for a SEC title or a national title anywhere in the future. If you are saisfied with 8-5 every year then good for you, but I do not believe Brooks can gp to the next level. He has done well to get here. His career winning percentadge is somewhere around 460. Not exactly what great coaches shhot for. As far as Baseball he also lost the best coach UK had in a while. The man is an average AD and his programs reflect mediocrity. If winning 20 in basketball is your lofty goal then Barnmart is probaly your guy. But for me if I am competing I want it all and I an not afraid to shoot the big enchilada. I guess it matters where your expectations are.

Whoa, Whoa, Whoa. The Football team is at heights that it never has been before. So am I pleased with what Brooks has done? 100% yes. Am I satisfied with 8-5, no, I want better. But do I think that UK is going to compete in the SEC? Not in the foreseable future - but that is not due to the coach. We could not bring Bear Bryant back from the dead and expect that UK will be a consistent winner in the SEC, and you are completely disenchanted if you think they can.
Stardust Wrote:Whoa, Whoa, Whoa. The Football team is at heights that it never has been before. So am I pleased with what Brooks has done? 100% yes. Am I satisfied with 8-5, no, I want better. But do I think that UK is going to compete in the SEC? Not in the foreseable future - but that is not due to the coach. We could not bring Bear Bryant back from the dead and expect that UK will be a consistent winner in the SEC, and you are completely disenchanted if you think they can.
What do you think this season will bring in football, more progress or a slide backwards? I do believe anyone can compete if thier goals is to compete for titles. I really dont care about 8 -5 or 5- 8 not much difference to me. Winning is an attitude. I cna remember the Bear days and oh they were good.
Pages: 1 2