Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: What’s next for belfry
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Sal dean moved to champville thoughts what’s next for belfry
The future unfortunately looks bad. Thompson absolutely destroyed the program. Player development at high school is non existent. Middle school has had success but never continues at high school. They should have posted the job an tried to find an established winner with history of developing kids.
Just find someone that can bring the kids in like they do in football and all will be well.
(06-21-2022, 05:58 PM)fridaynightfights Wrote: [ -> ]Just find someone that can bring the kids in like they do in football and all will be well.
That exactly what they did over the past few seasons but still didn’t seem to help.
Just focus on football and not worry about baskeball. Some things just ain’t meant to be. Be glad you have the football juggernaut you do.
It’s dead Jim.

Hired a coach, who hasn’t been a head basketball coach before on any level, is a dad that if you talk to him, tells you how good his kids are and will be and is in my coaching while they are there, the same staff as before, and is bringing kids in from all over to assure his kid and his best buddies kid wins at the middle school level, and bringing in other kids at the high school level.
As long as they keep racking up state titles in football all is good on Pond Creek, basketball season is the off-season.
Belfry has a lot of talent coming up to join the current freshman class. Should be competitive with in a couple years.
(08-29-2022, 10:21 AM)Realtalk101 Wrote: [ -> ]Belfry has a lot of talent coming up to join the current freshman class.  Should be competitive with in a couple years.
I will refer you back to RTruth post. You can be good middle school player and get to high school and still be 5’5. All kids transferred in are not guaranteed to stay at Belfry for high school.
(08-29-2022, 12:31 PM)Truewords Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-29-2022, 10:21 AM)Realtalk101 Wrote: [ -> ]Belfry has a lot of talent coming up to join the current freshman class.  Should be competitive with in a couple years.
I will refer you back to RTruth post. You can be good middle school player and get to high school and still be 5’5. All kids transferred in are not guaranteed to stay at Belfry for high school.
That is true but you also have to have someone invested in developing the kids and have it translate to the high school level.
(08-29-2022, 11:01 PM)Realtalk101 Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-29-2022, 12:31 PM)Truewords Wrote: [ -> ]
That is true but you also have to have someone invested in developing the kids and have it translate to the high school level.
I agree and believe the coaches at middle school work the kids but that off season work has never continued at high school level. The 8th grade group this year has played multiple summers together. High school summer program basically non existent.
Belfry should of posted the head coaching job
The experiment of letting a baseball coach try his hand at basketball is not working. They need someone with winning track record
Does belfry have the athletes on the field that may carry over to the floor? Or is this a situation where haywood keeps his horses on the turf rather than the hardwood?
Better need to be hitting the recruiting trail over in WV. They play basketball over there to.
(12-23-2022, 06:09 PM)Gridiron_Raid Wrote: [ -> ]Does belfry have the athletes on the field that may carry over to the floor? Or is this a situation where haywood keeps his horses on the turf rather than the hardwood?
Starting QB. Wide receiver and #1 tailback plus several others playing. So I don’t think that’s the problem
(12-23-2022, 06:12 PM)Truewords Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-23-2022, 06:09 PM)Gridiron_Raid Wrote: [ -> ]Does belfry have the athletes on the field that may carry over to the floor? Or is this a situation where haywood keeps his horses on the turf rather than the hardwood?
Starting QB. Wide receiver and #1 tailback plus several others playing. So I don’t think that’s the problem
Well maybe hunt inside the school and kids around the area that eventually go to pikeville to play all three sports? I mean pikeville has rose to the power of three sports hard to believe nobody on those teams come from the belfry region.
(12-23-2022, 08:25 PM)Gridiron_Raid Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-23-2022, 06:12 PM)Truewords Wrote: [ -> ]
Well maybe hunt inside the school and kids around the area that eventually go to pikeville to play all three sports? I mean pikeville has rose to the power of three sports hard to believe nobody on those teams come from the belfry region.
Several have came from Belfry area. They left for a reason. Several kids in school will not play because basketball is a train wreck
Get serious an hire a basketball coach would be a good step
I went and watched some games today at the Schoolboy and I watched Belfry play Floyd Central. This was my first time watching them in person this season. What has happened to them? They looked bad. People ran Mark Thompson off saying he was the issue but maybe he wasn’t. Is it just a lack of talent?
(12-29-2022, 03:05 AM)pirateforlife Wrote: [ -> ]I went and watched some games today at the Schoolboy and I watched Belfry play Floyd Central. This was my first time watching them in person this season. What has happened to them? They looked bad. People ran Mark Thompson off saying he was the issue but maybe he wasn’t. Is it just a lack of talent?
Thompson sealed his own fate. His win/loss record shows he should have been gone years ago . I have watched them play several times this season. They have some talent just not a lot. Thompson still sits right behind bench with Hagy consulting him before games. Same assistant calling same bad plays and substitution rotation that makes no sense. They are athletes there but no one to mold game plan to the strengths of kids they have. All you hear is future is looking good. If middle schoolers are that good bring them up. Johnson Central starts an 8th grader. Other schools have middle school kids playing up.
If the freshmen they have now aren’t playing there isn’t an 8th grader one that could play.

The issue is administration. If they wanted a good basketball coach and program they’re hire someone. They don’t.
(12-29-2022, 08:59 PM)RTruth Wrote: [ -> ]If the freshmen they have now aren’t playing there isn’t an 8th grader one that could play.

The issue is administration. If they wanted a good basketball coach and program they’re hire someone. They don’t.
I agree. It’s sad because unlike a lot think most Belfry fans care about other sports besides football. I wished we had a region contender that legitimately had a chance to win region and play at Rupp. Belfry has only 2 region tournament wins since the 2013-2014 season which was Thompson’s first year.
(12-29-2022, 09:11 PM)pirateforlife Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-29-2022, 08:59 PM)RTruth Wrote: [ -> ]If the freshmen they have now aren’t playing there isn’t an 8th grader one that could play.

I agree. It’s sad because unlike a lot think most Belfry fans care about other sports besides football. I wished we had a region contender that legitimately had a chance to win region and play at Rupp. Belfry has only 2 region tournament wins since the 2013-2014 season which was Thompson’s first year.
Administration. That’s where it ends and begins.
Why would anyone go to Belfry to play basketball when they could go to Pikeville which is a 20x better academic school and has 10x better athletics top to bottom for both boys and girls? Asking for a friend.
Death threats in my inbox in 3, 2, 1....
Facts suck for some people.
(12-30-2022, 12:43 AM)jetpilot Wrote: [ -> ]Death threats in my inbox in 3, 2, 1....

No death threats if they have any sense.

Belfry administration wants it to be an academic and football school.

If Philip Haywood wanted a basketball coach, he’d have one.
How many of the 8th grade class that is supposed to be really good are basketball only players or don’t play football? They need to get some people in there that will take basketball seriously. Belfry has won 1 game this year against a bad East Ridge team. There wasn’t even a job search done when Thompson resigned.
(12-30-2022, 12:50 AM)RTruth Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-30-2022, 12:43 AM)jetpilot Wrote: [ -> ]Death threats in my inbox in 3, 2, 1....

No death threats if they have any sense.

Belfry administration wants it to be an academic and football school.

If Philip Haywood wanted a basketball coach, he’d have one.
I’m gonna be honest I think I disagree with this. I’m honestly not sure he was much power with this administration. I think more butting if the heads goes on than is made public. 

And Jet, no death threats. It’s the truth.
Sounds like Belfry needs to make some sort of underground basketball boosters club. These boosters go out and recruit some basketball only kids and help the basketball program without the administrations permission or whatever. Where do all the good middle school basketball players from Belfry end up? I know they are usually good in middle school. What is really wrong with the current boys basketball coach other than he coaches baseball. Is he not a good X’s and O’s guy? Doesn’t he have any passion for the game when coaching? Does he just not have much talent?
Pages: 1 2