Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: No UK Recruits In This Year's Micky D List
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Looks as if UK struck out again in landing at least one Micky D on this season's recruits. Great recruiting, Tubby. Absolutely NO EXCUSE for this!! :redboxer:

2006 McDonald's All American High School Basketball Team

ALPHABETICAL ROSTER

EAST TEAM

No. Name Pos. Hgt. Wgt. High School, State (Original Hometown) College

5 Earl Clark SF 6-9 220 Rahway High School, NJ (Rahway, NJ) Louisville

11 Mike Conley PG 6-1 170 Lawrence North High School, IN (Indianapolis, IN) Ohio State

2 Javaris Crittenton SG 6-5 195 SW Atlanta Christian Academy, GA (Atlanta, GA) Georgia Tech

22 Wayne Ellington SG 6-4 185 The Episcopal Academy, PA (Wynnewood, PA) North Carolina

43 Gerald Henderson WF 6-5 190 The Episcopal Academy, PA (Blue Bell, PA) Duke

1 Tywon Lawson PG 6-0 190 Oak Hill Academy, VA (Clinton, MD) North Carolina

21 Vernon Macklin C 6-9 225 Hargrave Military Academy, VA (Portsmouth, VA) Georgetown

50 Greg Oden C 7-1 260 Lawrence North High School, IN (Indianapolis, IN) Ohio State

3 Scottie Reynolds SG 6-1 185 Herndon High School, VA (Herndon, VA) Oklahoma

20 Lance Thomas PF 6-8 200 St. Benedict’s Prep, NJ (Scotch Plains, NJ) Undecided

34 Brandan Wright PF 6-9 200 Brentwood Academy, TN (Nashville, TN) North Carolina

33 Thaddeus Young SF 6-8 215 Mitchell High School, TN (Memphis, TN) Georgia Tech

Head Coach Doug Lipscomb, Wheeler High School (Marietta, GA)

Assistant Coach Marc Carver, Wheeler High School (Marietta, GA)

WEST TEAM No. Name Pos. Hgt. Wgt. High School, State (Original Hometown) College

00 Darrell Arthur PF 6-9 220 South Oak Cliff High School, TX (Dallas, TX) Undecided

15 D.J. Augustin PG 6-0 180 Hightower High School, TX (Fresno, TX) Texas

34 Chase Budinger WF 6-8 200 La Costa Canyon High School, CA (Encinitas, CA) Arizona

2 Demond Carter SG 5-11 170 Reserve Christian School, LA (Laplace, LA) Baylor

4 Sherron Collins PG 5-11 195 Crane Technical Prep High School, IL (Chicago, IL) Kansas

14 Daequan Cook SG 6-5 200 Dunbar High School, OH (Dayton, OH) Ohio State

3 Kevin Durant WF 6-10 205 Montrose Christian School, MD (Suitland, MD) Texas

35 James Keefe PF 6-8 220 Santa Margarita Cath. High School, CA (S. Margarita, CA) UCLA

32 Spencer Hawes C 7-0 230 Seattle Preparatory School, WA (Seattle, WA) Washington

30 Brook Lopez PF 7-0 245 San Joaquin Memorial High School, CA (Fresno, CA) Stanford

21 Robin Lopez C 7-0 245 San Joaquin Memorial High School, CA (Fresno, CA) Stanford

22 Jon Scheyer SG 6-6 180 Glenbrook North High School, IL (Northbrook, IL) Duke

Head Coach Harvey Kitani, Fairfax High School (Los Angeles, CA)
BTW......anyone else notice there were no Micky D's going to an SEC school?? Go figure.

Dook, North Carolian and Ohio State should dominate college roundball for the next few years.
Well weren't Crawford, Rondo, and Morris McDonalds All-Americans? That didnt turn out too well so far, but just because they have that label doesn't mean they are going to be great college players..Take Lofton for example, a 0 star recruit that nobody wanted and Tennessee picked him up in late May just because someone else quit the team....McDonalds All Americans are usually more selfish or one and out players...That title doesn't always make them the best recruits..
Depends on how you look at it.

Pitino has one
Donovan has none
Whomever at Indiana has none
Calhoun has none
and we can go on and on.

Yes it would have been nice but you can't judge the entire class by this. Plus everyone keeps saying Lofton and where was he a couple of years ago.
Yeah, but guess what Roy and Coach K are gonna do with thier Micky D's....IMO, Tubby is clueless how to coach a Micky D. He wants to discipline them into playing Tubby ball instead of letting them showcase their talents. Roy and K on the other hand give their Micky D's free range to display their talents. Just look at Hansbrough at unc and Paulus at Dook No doubt Hansbrough will be rookie of the year in college ball. If he had signed with UK, (give the boyu credit for not being that dumb) he'd be playing about 10 minutes or less, averaging about 6 ppg and spending a lot of pine time with Carter and Sims until he learned enough discipline to play Tubby's style.
"Yellow Snow" Wrote:Yeah, but guess what Roy and Coach K are gonna do with thier Micky D's....IMO, Tubby is clueless how to coach a Micky D. He wants to discipline them into playing Tubby ball instead of letting them showcase their talents. Roy and K on the other hand give their Micky D's free range to display their talents. Just look at Hansbrough at unc and Paulus at Dook No doubt Hansbrough will be rookie of the year in college ball. If he had signed with UK, (give the boyu credit for not being that dumb) he'd be playing about 10 minutes or less, averaging about 6 ppg and spending a lot of pine time with Carter and Sims until he learned enough discipline to play Tubby's style.

Paulus is terrible. i dont know why you brought him up. you should have just stuck with hansborough, Paulus will cost dUKe a final four bid IMO. And your wrong about Hansborough when it comes to UK. He would definitely not be on the bench. Can you imagine him and Randolph down low? Tubby Smith is not stupid, he would not be playing perry and thomas over hansborough.

And also dont be doggin the recruiting efforts this year. If you had seen Meeks and Jasper play then you would not have made this thread. These 2 are real. O yeh, Perry Stevenson is playing in the roundball classic with Greg Oden. Is that good enough for you?
Amazing how people are underestimating Meeks, Jasper, and Stevenson....Those 3 are going to be great players...Big size for Meeks and Jasper to be guards at 6'4 & 6'5...Also what some people may not know is that Tubby is going after Tyler Smith and Phil Jones right now...Phil Jones would play center..He is 6'10 & 265 lbs....Tyler Smith is a 6'7 foward that anybody in the nation would love to have...If we get Smith Kentucky could be a top 10 class....

Speaking of Brandan Wright on that Micky D list...Heres a nice video of Tyler Smith(UK pursuing very hard) dunking all over that McDonalds All-American...
http://media.putfile.com/Tyler-Smith-ove...right-2005
:Thumbs: Awesome video Alfus
"corndog23" Wrote:Paulus is terrible. i dont know why you brought him up. you should have just stuck with hansborough, Paulus will cost dUKe a final four bid IMO. And your wrong about Hansborough when it comes to UK. He would definitely not be on the bench. Can you imagine him and Randolph down low? Tubby Smith is not stupid, he would not be playing perry and thomas over hansborough.

And also dont be doggin the recruiting efforts this year. If you had seen Meeks and Jasper play then you would not have made this thread. These 2 are real. O yeh, Perry Stevenson is playing in the roundball classic with Greg Oden. Is that good enough for you?

You underestimate him too much, everyone has Freshman mistakes..
Nice video Alfus!
"alfus21" Wrote:Amazing how people are underestimating Meeks, Jasper, and Stevenson....Those 3 are going to be great players...

No doubt you had this same thought when Rondo, Crawford, Bradley and Morris signed also, huh? ......Smile Just look what Tubb's done with them. They'd all be All-American candidates at any other school other than UK.
All that needs to be said about the ineptness of Tubby Smith and recruiting is to look at the Micky D list and see that 2 MDAA's power forwards are uncommitted and just what does UK need the most on their 'wish list'? A power forward. NONE of these guys want's to play Tubby ball, and who could blame them. I sure wouldn't either if I was deciding on a college that would 'enhance' my chances of getting to the next level. In order for UK to get back up to the level of prominence of the UNCs and Dooks of the basketball world, they first must get rid of Tubby and get someone who can RECRUIT. Tubby ball is BORING and no HSAA want's to play it. Plain and simple.
"Yellow Snow" Wrote:No doubt you had this same thought when Rondo, Crawford, Bradley and Morris signed also, huh? ......Smile Just look what Tubb's done with them. They'd all be All-American candidates at any other school other than UK.

No doubt I still feel the same way Yellow Snow...They are just SOPHMORES! Two more seasons to go and you're already throwing in the towel on them...Tubbs hasn't done anything negative with them....and I seriously doubt they'd be all-american candidates anywhere else....Look at what Tubby done with Ravi Moss, Marquis Estill, Erik Daniels, Chuck Hayes, Gerald Fitch, Cliff Hawkins, Bogans, and even Tayshaun Prince....He has shown he can get it done, and what people don't realize is that with Bogans not injured vs. Marquette two years ago Kentucky is in the final four and probably wins the national title that year...Have patience, these guys stil have two more years..
"Yellow Snow" Wrote:All that needs to be said about the ineptness of Tubby Smith and recruiting is to look at the Micky D list and see that 2 MDAA's power forwards are uncommitted and just what does UK need the most on their 'wish list'? A power forward. NONE of these guys want's to play Tubby ball, and who could blame them. I sure wouldn't either if I was deciding on a college that would 'enhance' my chances of getting to the next level. In order for UK to get back up to the level of prominence of the UNCs and Dooks of the basketball world, they first must get rid of Tubby and get someone who can RECRUIT. Tubby ball is BORING and no HSAA want's to play it. Plain and simple.

Just because those two guys are "uncommitted" they are actually pretty stuck on their choice already, just not verbaled..UK needs a center too, because then morris drops to the 4 spot...And Tubby is going after Phil Jones who is a beast if you'd look into him, but since you judge everything by McDonalds I guess you wouldn't know that...Tubbys system isn't the most exciting but if the players applies it, then it works! It has before, and it did the last 3 years, and it did when he took over Pitino's team..By the way on that 1998 Championship team....1 McDonalds All-American was on that roster and his name was Wayne Turner...Contrary to popular belief people do pretty good without McDonalds All Americans on their roster...
"alfus21" Wrote:UK needs a center too

A center?? They've got 4 of 'em and 2 never get off the bench and the third can't catch an entry pass to the post. What UK needs is some ATHLETES, not projects like Woo, Shag, Carter, etc. What they need most is a dynamic, energetic coach that can RECRUIT and MOTIVATE.
"Yellow Snow" Wrote:A center?? They've got 4 of 'em and 2 never get off the bench and the third can't catch an entry pass to the post. What UK needs is some ATHLETES, not projects like Woo, Shag, Carter, etc. What they need most is a dynamic, energetic coach that can RECRUIT and MOTIVATE.

Don't expect Shagari to be there next year, so there opens up a spot, then moving Morris to the 4, where he will thrive more now that he has slimmed down a little...Once again, if you knew ANYTHING about the 3 guys we've signed for next year, you'd know that they are probably the most athletic recruits Kentucky has had in years, especially Meeks...

As for your typical Tubby-Bashing comments. He's not going anywhere against his own will...He will be there as long as he wants so you need to get over that...Tubby is a good coach, and its funny that all the other coaches and sports analysts can see that big a select number of UK fans can't...
"alfus21" Wrote:Well weren't Crawford, Rondo, and Morris McDonalds All-Americans? That didnt turn out too well so far, but just because they have that label doesn't mean they are going to be great college players..Take Lofton for example, a 0 star recruit that nobody wanted and Tennessee picked him up in late May just because someone else quit the team....McDonalds All Americans are usually more selfish or one and out players...That title doesn't always make them the best recruits..
Not going to argue Alfus but ..Your stats are wrong, Lofton was a 3 star player and was honorable McDonalds All American by Scouts.com!
0 Star according to rivals.com which is what I use because I honestly believe it's more accurate....But thats just a matter of preference...I wonder why nobody wanted a 3 Star recruit until late May when Tennessee picked up him after someone else on the team was gone...
"alfus21" Wrote:0 Star according to rivals.com which is what I use because I honestly believe it's more accurate....But thats just a matter of preference...I wonder why nobody wanted a 3 Star recruit until late May when Tennessee picked up him after someone else on the team was gone...

I also use rivals. Sometimes however it will miss a good ball player. Adam Morrison was also a no star.
i agree yellow snow
Yeah I was getting ready to mention that....That's pretty amazing to think about...
It really is. I read the scouting report on him when he was in high school. They said they knew he would be a scorer, but i dont think they meant the leading scorer in the country!
I would like to see proof because I wouldn't t hink there is no way that 2 different sources can be 3 stars off and the winner of a Mr.Basketball and an honorable mention McDonald's All American can have no stars!
"alfus21" Wrote:Just because those two guys are "uncommitted" they are actually pretty stuck on their choice already, just not verbaled..UK needs a center too, because then morris drops to the 4 spot...And Tubby is going after Phil Jones who is a beast if you'd look into him, but since you judge everything by McDonalds I guess you wouldn't know that...Tubbys system isn't the most exciting but if the players applies it, then it works! It has before, and it did the last 3 years, and it did when he took over Pitino's team..By the way on that 1998 Championship team....1 McDonalds All-American was on that roster and his name was Wayne Turner...Contrary to popular belief people do pretty good without McDonalds All Americans on their roster...
And there were 2 McDonalds All Americans on that team, Tayshaun Prince alongside Wayne Turner. :Thumbs:
"alfus21" Wrote:0 Star according to rivals.com which is what I use because I honestly believe it's more accurate....But thats just a matter of preference...I wonder why nobody wanted a 3 Star recruit until late May when Tennessee picked up him after someone else on the team was gone...
You think it is more accurate??? They had Adam Morrison as a 0 star and they had C.J. Lofton as a 0 star...How can you argue with that? Don't seem to accurate to me@!
"Homer Simpson" Wrote:i agree yellow snow

Thanx Homer......It's gonna be interesting watching these 'Tubby lovers' reactions in years to come when UK CONTINUALLY gets knocked out before reaching another final four.

Two things are facts: 1. Tubby will never win another National Championship while at UK and 2. Tubby will never guide another UK team to a Final Four as long as he's coach.

Tubby's a great guy. Nobody aruges that fact, but fact is his antiquated offense ( if indeed he actually has an offense ) and that silly ball line defense that 3 point shooters are burning up (see Lofton) are what will keep him from taking UK to another title. Tubby is just plain to stubborn to change with the times. Heck, even Pitino ball has passed most everyone by these days. You always got to try to match a particular style of play to the personnel you have. Tubby refuses to do just that. He tries to make his players conform to Tubby ball.....and you see the results......'Nuff said.
"PLAYBOY5" Wrote:I would like to see proof because I wouldn't t hink there is no way that 2 different sources can be 3 stars off and the winner of a Mr.Basketball and an honorable mention McDonald's All American can have no stars!

My mistake playboy, Lofton WAS a 3 star according to rivals. he was the 24th ranked PG in the nation. Rondo was #5. he was #146 overall. Joe Crawford was #9, Randolph Morris was #10, Rajon Rondo was #25, and Ramel Bradley was #91. his only offer was from Tennessee and he didnt commit until May 5th. Kentucky was not one of his "schools of interest".
http://kentucky.rivals.com/viewprospect...._key=15651
"Yellow Snow" Wrote:Thanx Homer......It's gonna be interesting watching these 'Tubby lovers' reactions in years to come when UK CONTINUALLY gets knocked out before reaching another final four.

Two things are facts: 1. Tubby will never win another National Championship while at UK and 2. Tubby will never guide another UK team to a Final Four as long as he's coach.

Tubby's a great guy. Nobody aruges that fact, but fact is his antiquated offense ( if indeed he actually has an offense ) and that silly ball line defense that 3 point shooters are burning up (see Lofton) are what will keep him from taking UK to another title. Tubby is just plain to stubborn to change with the times. Heck, even Pitino ball has passed most everyone by these days. You always got to try to match a particular style of play to the personnel you have. Tubby refuses to do just that. He tries to make his players conform to Tubby ball.....and you see the results......'Nuff said.

The results are 4 elite 8's, one final four, and one national title!! I really dont understand how you can say hes such a bad coach. We would have been in the final four last year had a foul been called for Sparks. How you can say we will never be in the final four with Tubby Smith as coach just boggles my mind. One bad year does not a bad career make.
"corndog23" Wrote:My mistake playboy, Lofton WAS a 3 star according to rivals. he was the 24th ranked PG in the nation. Rondo was #5. he was #146 overall. Joe Crawford was #9, Randolph Morris was #10, Rajon Rondo was #25, and Ramel Bradley was #91. his only offer was from Tennessee and he didnt commit until May 5th. Kentucky was not one of his "schools of interest".
http://kentucky.rivals.com/viewprospect...._key=15651
Not a problem Corndog23, the reason UK wasn't on his list is because they didn't even look at him and he was offered a full ride to Tennessee to play. WOuld be hard to turn down a full ride. Cincy was going after him pretty hard at the time as well..You know, Kentucky fans are just going to have to get over Tubby missing out on him..it happens everywhere every year to tons of colleges.
Here to me is Tubby's main fault. Instead of doing like more of the elite programs are doing such as recruiting players who has pretty much said that they will be around for 2 years at the most and that is it, but those players usually being cream of the crop. But Tubby wants the O.K. Solid like 4 year players who usually are going to be decent players in college, which wasn't a bad thing 10 years ago but it is a new day and age. I use to be all for the 4 year players, but it is so hard to compete against the top teams in college basketball with that approach. Just my opinion..
Pages: 1 2