Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: One and Done????
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
this one and done nonsense in college basketball is really getting out of hand. i mean what is the point in going to college if you are only gonna go for one year and then drop out for the nba? i think that a player should have to stay at least until his junior year. what does everyone else think?
I have to opinions about this..

Why even make them go to College? And risk suffering a career ending injury. And stop them from making millions of dollars with the abilities that the good lord has blessed them with.

But on another hand, I CAN NOT stand seeing them on and done players. In my opinion it's gonna kill Kentucky basketball. Because you can not establish a bunch a team chemistry. And that's what wins a championship. Is a bunch of guys who've known each other for a couple years and play good with them out on the floor.

I have to views on this subject. So I'm 50/50 about the whole thing! Good Thread!
MisterPerfect Wrote:I have to opinions about this..

Why even make them go to College? And risk suffering a career ending injury. And stop them from making millions of dollars with the abilities that the good lord has blessed them with.

But on another hand, I CAN NOT stand seeing them on and done players. In my opinion it's gonna kill Kentucky basketball. Because you can not establish a bunch a team chemistry. And that's what wins a championship. Is a bunch of guys who've known each other for a couple years and play good with them out on the floor.

I have to views on this subject. So I'm 50/50 about the whole thing! Good Thread!

i agree with you 100% :Thumbs:
Kentucky will eventually have a year where they out-talent everybody else. But my goodness think about how scary good UK would be if there were no one and dones.
One and done is better than none and done.
I just don't like the idea of one and dones, two and dones, or three and dones.....
If it was up to me you would have to have a college degree to play a professional sport.
I understand that risking injury is a big deal for these athletes and it could cost them millions of dollars....
but in my eyes it's ridiculous that we pay pro athletes more money than I make in a year on one pay check.
If they were paid on a more reasonable scale, if they got injured, they could finish up college and still be able to make a fine living for themself and their family.
zaga_fan Wrote:I just don't like the idea of one and dones, two and dones, or three and dones.....
If it was up to me you would have to have a college degree to play a professional sport.
I understand that risking injury is a big deal for these athletes and it could cost them millions of dollars....
but in my eyes it's ridiculous that we pay pro athletes more money than I make in a year on one pay check.
If they were paid on a more reasonable scale, if they got injured, they could finish up college and still be able to make a fine living for themself and their family.

I hate myself for this but I somewhat agree with you.
If we have no requirements for Hockey, Baseball, Golf, Soccer, Tennis, etc to ever have to play a college sport or wait until the athlete turns 19 in order to participate in those professional sports, the NBA should not either. There should be no restrictions on when an athlete is allowed to go pro. If colleges do not one and dones, then don't recruit the athletes that are likely to be one and dones.
That is such a tough solution when the NBA has made this ridiculous rule. NCAA coaches want the best players, so they are gonna get these players.

I am pretty sure it was Bobby Knight that suggested if a player enrolls and plays, they should be required to stay two years. I like the idea, but that would cause a MASS migration of high schoolers to European ball.

The NBA put the rule in place to assist THEMSELVES, not thinking about these kids. They had so many players coming out of high school that were either Garnett's and Lebron's or they were awful. They put the rule in place to give themselves an easier way to scout.

Bobby Knight did make a great point once about how these 1 and done players can halfway try their first semester and make middle-of-the-road grades then NEVER GO TO CLASS the second semester. That hurts the schools, the NCAA's mission and possibly the student. If you make them stay two years they have to try at least 1.5 years. Chances are, if you will try that long and know that you could be that close to a certification, certificate or Associates Degree, they work at it.

We have to keep in mind though, that not everyone is cut out for college, or even wants to go. I say either make it two years or get rid of it. I lean towards getting rid of it.
I would not mind if basketball did the same as baseball. You can get drafted right out of high school, the player has to choose to sign a pro contract or letter of intent. If the player chooses college, he must stay until his junior year before he is eligible to be drafted again.
Benchwarmer Wrote:I hate myself for this but I somewhat agree with you.

It happens TongueirateSho
Stardust Wrote:If we have no requirements for Hockey, Baseball, Golf, Soccer, Tennis, etc to ever have to play a college sport or wait until the athlete turns 19 in order to participate in those professional sports, the NBA should not either. There should be no restrictions on when an athlete is allowed to go pro. If colleges do not one and dones, then don't recruit the athletes that are likely to be one and dones.

This guy has not clue what he is talking about. There are requirements in other sports. We must realize that the NCAA and NBA are separate organizations that MUST work together in order to get this done.

Jay Bilas said it best. When he was playing, the only guys who left school early were the top players. Now, guys are leaving early to sit the bench.

Daniel Orton was a 1st Round pick and he was assigned to the DLeague? Are you kidding. He has yet to see action in a single NBA game.
Benchwarmer Wrote:One and done is better than none and done.

:rockon:
The way I look at it is you should have some school IMO.. Maybe like 2 years to get the athlete ready, if he is indeed an NBA caliber type player..
But I also look at it like this.. Why deny someone the privilege of making money or having a job at that? Some athletes coming straight out of highschool are ready for the NBA..

Look at Kobe and Dwight Howard for example.. They came straight ino the NBA with no college background and are some of the most dominant players in the NBA.. And make the most money as well.

The more time goes by though, it seems like the less that players are being NBA ready.. There will be a few here and there, maybe one every 2-3 years.. But not as many as you would think. IMO, there is noone in college right now that would have come straight out of highschool and into the NBA except a very select few.
goscots56 Wrote:This guy has not clue what he is talking about. There are requirements in other sports. We must realize that the NCAA and NBA are separate organizations that MUST work together in order to get this done.

Jay Bilas said it best. When he was playing, the only guys who left school early were the top players. Now, guys are leaving early to sit the bench.

Daniel Orton was a 1st Round pick and he was assigned to the DLeague? Are you kidding. He has yet to see action in a single NBA game.

Baseball you can get drafted straight out of HS
Tennis you become pro at 14
Soccer Freddy Adu signed a pro contract at the age of 14
Golf you have teenagers playing pro events
I am not sure about the rules of hockey. I don't follow it close enough
They should be no rule. Players coming out of high school should have a choice: go pro or college. There's no reason for Kevin Durrant and Blake Griffin to be in college and risk losing millions. It shouldn't be mandatory for them to go to school because a corupt organization wants to make some cash off them.
Aslan Wrote:They should be no rule. Players coming out of high school should have a choice: go pro or college. There's no reason for Kevin Durrant and Blake Griffin to be in college and risk losing millions. It shouldn't be mandatory for them to go to school because a corupt organization wants to make some cash off them.

but it should be their option to go straight to the NBA so a corrupt organization can make some cash off of them?
goscots56 Wrote:This guy has not clue what he is talking about. There are requirements in other sports. We must realize that the NCAA and NBA are separate organizations that MUST work together in order to get this done.

Are you allowed to work without going to college? This is not a debate as to whether athletes should be required to go to college in order to play a sport either.

Let's see who knows what they are talking about!

So, what is the requirement to play professional baseball? How many years of college are you required?

In order to play possessional tennis, quote for me the mandated number of years you have to attend college before you step on the court.

What is the mandatory number of years you have to play college hockey before you can be drafted?

Professional golf, give me the required age that one must be to enter to the tour? Do you need a High School degree?

Do the research on what is required and not what your opinion is! The question is should anyone be limited to restrictions based on age or education! For every one and done college basketball player that does not make it, there are 10 tennis players who fail to make a living on the professional tennis tour. That's up to the individual and the choice that they make! Sometimes it works to not even go to college (Kobe, Lebron). Sometimes it does not work at all to even complete four years of college!
zaga_fan Wrote:but it should be their option to go straight to the NBA so a corrupt organization can make some cash off of them?

No different than McDonalds! This is about rights to employment and should not be based on whether you go to college or not. Going to college was not an option for Brandon Jennings. He left after his senior year of High School and went to Europe. Force players to play Two years, and you will see that happen even more often.
Stardust Wrote:Are you allowed to work without going to college? This is not a debate as to whether athletes should be required to go to college in order to play a sport either.

Let's see who knows what they are talking about!

So, what is the requirement to play professional baseball? How many years of college are you required?

In order to play possessional tennis, quote for me the mandated number of years you have to attend college before you step on the court.

What is the mandatory number of years you have to play college hockey before you can be drafted?

Professional golf, give me the required age that one must be to enter to the tour? Do you need a High School degree?

Do the research on what is required and not what your opinion is! The question is should anyone be limited to restrictions based on age or education! For every one and done college basketball player that does not make it, there are 10 tennis players who fail to make a living on the professional tennis tour. That's up to the individual and the choice that they make! Sometimes it works to not even go to college (Kobe, Lebron). Sometimes it does not work at all to even complete four years of college!

Gee, I dunno Dusty....
I don't know any possessional tennis players so I don't really have a precedent to go by Wink
zaga_fan Wrote:Gee, I dunno Dusty....
I don't know any possessional tennis players so I don't really have a precedent to go by Wink

Yes you do...And she's hot! Maria Sharapova hasn't done too bad for herself since debuting as a pert little 17 year-old. 15 year-old Morgan Johannson sure was happy he didn't even have to go to High School to make a buck on the green concrete.
zaga_fan Wrote:I just don't like the idea of one and dones, two and dones, or three and dones.....

lol if that was the case professional sports would probably suck.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:lol if that was the case professional sports would probably suck.

We would have an harvard vs yale nba finals.
I say let them go straight out or make them wait all 4 years. One of the two. Its unthinkable how good UK would be right now if all of them had to stay 4 years or how BAD UK would be if the draft was open to high school seniors.
So theres pros and cons with all. I would just let them go on straight out. turned out pretty well for Kobe, Lebron, and KG
Wildcatk23 Wrote:We would have an harvard vs yale nba finals.

lol i was so close to mentioning something about harvard/yale
I just dont see why there is a rule. Let them go, leave when they want. Or let them go straight to the NBA. Its there lives.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:I say let them go straight out or make them wait all 4 years. One of the two. Its unthinkable how good UK would be right now if all of them had to stay 4 years or how BAD UK would be if the draft was open to high school seniors.
So theres pros and cons with all. I would just let them go on straight out. turned out pretty well for Kobe, Lebron, and KG

That's a novel idea, but then schools would have to give four year scholarships. Scholarships are for only one year and renewable and redone every year. It is very rare that college athletes have fully paid scholarships. So, if we are going to require kids to stay in school, let's change the rules on the colleges that requires them to fully pay a college athletes education 100% and not allow colleges to change the amounts from year to year.
zaga_fan Wrote:but it should be their option to go straight to the NBA so a corrupt organization can make some cash off of them?

At least the NBA pays them. The NCAA is corrupt and don't.
I got a question.

If athletes were aloud to go straight to the NBA. Would College Basketball become less competitive and less watched?
MisterPerfect Wrote:I got a question.

If athletes were aloud to go straight to the NBA. Would College Basketball become less competitive and less watched?

They were allowed up until a few years ago.
Pages: 1 2