Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: One and Done????
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
LWC Wrote:They were allowed up until a few years ago.

I know. But there are a lot better athletes these days then their was back then.
I hate it. I wish they would handle it the way they do College Football. I think this would be better for the game of College Basketball.
Stardust Wrote:That's a novel idea, but then schools would have to give four year scholarships. Scholarships are for only one year and renewable and redone every year. It is very rare that college athletes have fully paid scholarships. So, if we are going to require kids to stay in school, let's change the rules on the colleges that requires them to fully pay a college athletes education 100% and not allow colleges to change the amounts from year to year.

HawksRule Wrote:I hate it. I wish they would handle it the way they do College Football. I think this would be better for the game of College Basketball.

So you are also going to demand that the colleges offer four year scholarships and not one year, right?
Let the kids do whatever they want.
Wildcatk23 Wrote:Let the kids do whatever they want.

It's not even an argument about the kids, it should be all of us the the rights that we should have to make a living. To work for a living should not be dictated by a professional sports team. And I keep harping on the fact that these kids have their money messed with for college every year. These kids come in with expectations that they are forced to change the following year when a coach wants to lure a new recruit in and takes money form one kids scholarship and transfers it to another. Does anyone really think the athletes have 100% of their school paid for? And I'm not talking about walk-ons.
Stardust Wrote:So you are also going to demand that the colleges offer four year scholarships and not one year, right?

We don't agree often Stardust, but this time we do. I believe that would be better imagine John Wall in school untill he is at least a Junior. College Basketball would be great.
I think an athlete should have the option of going pro whenever he or she choses. Whether it be out of high school, after one year, after three years or after four, it should be the athletes choice. These athletes aren't dropping out, they are getting jobs that pay much more than most of us will ever think about making. I don't think it's right for the NCAA or anyone else to be able to deny these young men a chance to make a living. It should be the athletes choice to do what they think is best for them personally.
foxtrot1 Wrote:I think an athlete should have the option of going pro whenever he or she choses. Whether it be out of high school, after one year, after three years or after four, it should be the athletes choice. These athletes aren't dropping out, they are getting jobs that pay much more than most of us will ever think about making. I don't think it's right for the NCAA or anyone else to be able to deny these young men a chance to make a living. It should be the athletes choice to do what they think is best for them personally.

And to be honest, you have guys who have ZERO business even being in college. They have no interest to be there, they weigh down the other students in the school who are there for legitimate purposes of education. So, isn't is a waste of the states resources to put a $100K of taxpayers dollars into a student who is only going to that school because he HAS to? The taxpayers who subsidize the state schools are giving money to a student/athlete who could care less about the student part of the equation!
Jarons Wrote:Baseball you can get drafted straight out of HS
Tennis you become pro at 14
Soccer Freddy Adu signed a pro contract at the age of 14
Golf you have teenagers playing pro events
I am not sure about the rules of hockey. I don't follow it close enough

The biggest problem I had with your original argument was the quote "If colleges don't want one and done players then they shouldn't recruit them."

Its not the colleges (or universities) that don't want them....believe me....guys like Calipari loves them. This is the NCAA we are talking about, and the college basketball landscape.

Now...back to your statement about baseball, hockey, tennis....whatever.

Baseball has a rule that once you enter college you must stay until AFTER your JR year (unless you turn 21 within 45 days of the draft)

SO BASEBALL does not allow one and dones.

FOOTBALL DOES NOT ALLOW ONE AND DONES

And I could give a rats *** what hockey, tennis or soccer allow.
Stardust Wrote:And to be honest, you have guys who have ZERO business even being in college. They have no interest to be there, they weigh down the other students in the school who are there for legitimate purposes of education. So, isn't is a waste of the states resources to put a $100K of taxpayers dollars into a student who is only going to that school because he HAS to? The taxpayers who subsidize the state schools are giving money to a student/athlete who could care less about the student part of the equation!

Isn't it a waste of tax payers dollars to Help Fund Squirrel Mating Research?

Lol.. But we do.

These students work as hard as every other student in college. Weather if its with their mind of the physical talents. They do have interest of being there. To better there basketball skills and join the NBA. Some get degrees some dont. 1000's of college basketball players has used the basketball scholarship to get an education and move on to something different.

You want to talk about a waste of tax payers money?

People getting Financial aid then dropping out after there no longer required to go and repay there aid. While other students have to take out student loans because there parents make to much.
Stardust Wrote:That's a novel idea, but then schools would have to give four year scholarships. Scholarships are for only one year and renewable and redone every year. It is very rare that college athletes have fully paid scholarships. So, if we are going to require kids to stay in school, let's change the rules on the colleges that requires them to fully pay a college athletes education 100% and not allow colleges to change the amounts from year to year.

Dude....do have any clue what you're talking about.

We are talking about BASKETBALL and in almost ALL cases, players are giving FULL scholarships.

In football....those 85 guys are given FULL scholarships.

Which means

Full tuition
Room and board (if they live off campus they get a check every month)
ALL MEALS (if they live off campus they get a check)
BOOKS
When they are required to practice (during xmas and other breaks) and the school cafeteria closes, they are given checks for their food.
MOST will receive a clothing allowance of $500 per year (once again, check that they pick up at the begining of fall classes)
Along with ALL athletic gear (all of the sweatsuites, t-shirts, shoes and shorts you could ever want).

Now....baseball, track and field, and various other sports (tennis and hockey) are different.

But the BIG sports that we follow all give FULL rides.
i just hate seeing colleges give away scholarships to kids who are gonna stay one year in college and leave. those scholarships could go to a student athlete that is gonna stick it out and stay all four years and graduate with a degree.
I think that it should be the same as football. You can leave after your junior season
Personally i hate pretty much everything about the NBA.
Its torture to set through an entire game that has no impact or meaning.Its like pro baseball, id rather watch paint dry.
I do love college basketball and if keeping better players around means no draft for a few years, i could handle it.
goscots56 Wrote:Dude....do have any clue what you're talking about.

We are talking about BASKETBALL and in almost ALL cases, players are giving FULL scholarships.

In football....those 85 guys are given FULL scholarships.

Which means

Full tuition
Room and board (if they live off campus they get a check every month)
ALL MEALS (if they live off campus they get a check)
BOOKS
When they are required to practice (during xmas and other breaks) and the school cafeteria closes, they are given checks for their food.
MOST will receive a clothing allowance of $500 per year (once again, check that they pick up at the begining of fall classes)
Along with ALL athletic gear (all of the sweatsuites, t-shirts, shoes and shorts you could ever want).

Now....baseball, track and field, and various other sports (tennis and hockey) are different.

But the BIG sports that we follow all give FULL rides.

One, don't call me Dude!

Two, I do know what I am talking about. If you would like to make a wager, I'd be fully willing to take your money on Basketball or Football. Are you ready to put your money where your mouth is? Because you seriously have NO IDEA! I can guarantee you are wrong !
Now everyone play nice.
The sad underlying theme here is that many of the kids who go one and done give no care to their future AFTER BASKETBALL. I would love to see every student-athlete go to college all four years before they are allowed to turn pro. However, that would never work because of academic constraints and other issues. IMO, let the Kobe Bryants, Kevin Garnetts, and LeBron James' of the world skip college. College basketball was still great despite not having these big name players.
^ Said very well
The one-and-done rule hurts both the NCAA & the NBA.

I seen where Jay Bilas and the gameday crew discussed this on College Gameday before the UK/Florida game Saturday and Bilas hit the nail on the head, when he said that baseball has it all figured out; It's either you enter the draft or you decide to goto college. If you goto college then you cannot be eligible for the draft until after your junior season is complete.

That's why I would like to see the one-and-done rule done away with, that way these guys won't come to college and play for the name on their back instead of the name on their chest for a season just to goto the NBA.
I think one of two things needs to be done about this issue.

1. I think that the league needs to make it mandatory that players must play atleast 2 years in college or be two years removed from high school.

2. The league needs to eliminate the rule requiring high school players to go to college but if a player does decide to go to college they must attend college for atleast 2 or maybe even three years.
I think if you was to go to college you should stay at least 3 years before you move on to the NBA. If you think that you are that good then you should go right to the NBA.
I am all for having a similar rule that college football has. These student athletes shouldn't be allowed to leave till after there Sophmore year.

The gameday guys said it best the other day. College basketball has been getting worse and worse every year, but not by much because the game is still exciting and is still fun to watch. There are more and more players that the NBA are drafting because of there potential. Years ago, by the time players entered the draft, they had already blossomed, or started to.

Back in the day, if Patrick Ewing had left after his Freshman year, he wouldn't have been a Knick. If Hakeem Olajuwon had left early, he wouldn't have been a Rocket. And maybe these guys would have not had the career that they did.

I just feel like if student athletes stay for more than one year, not only will it benefit themselves, but it will benefit college basketball and the fans as well.
Stardust Wrote:One, don't call me Dude!

Two, I do know what I am talking about. If you would like to make a wager, I'd be fully willing to take your money on Basketball or Football. Are you ready to put your money where your mouth is? Because you seriously have NO IDEA! I can guarantee you are wrong !

Two things.

1) Dude

2) I played @ Tennessee and am speaking from experience. I don't know what NAIA, or D2 school you went to, but the 85 guys in D1 football all have full rides.

The same can be said for ALL MAJOR FBS schools....they can give aid to 85 athletes and they ALL give FULL rides.

The same goes for Basketball.....they get 13 scholarships and they are all FULL RIDES.

I don't know why you want to bet...or what you get by saying put your $$$ where your mouth is.

All I ask is that you have a clue of what you're talking about before you spew some made up statistics/information in a thred.

Have any opinion you want, and feel free to shart it, but keep your misinformation to yourself.
Why do people continue to make false statements in the day and age of the internet. Even if you don't know what you're talking about, all it takes is a quick google search to find the information.

For instance, I couldn't remember how many FULL RIDES college basketball teams get....I did a quick google and find out that they all get 13.

Do us all a favor and check your facts before spewing whatever comes out of your butt just to try to back up your point.
Stardust Wrote:One, don't call me Dude!

Listen, I am not going to bet or make a wager (even though I am 100% correct)....for one reason, I have no way of getting the money from you.

Do your research and stop looking like a donkey.

ALL DIVISION ONE ATHLETIC SCHOLARSHIPS in FOOTBALL and BASKETBALL MUST be FULL RIDES.

So I don't know what or how you plan on proving someone wrong when it's a NCAA rule.
Basketball is classed as a “head count” sport which means that the athletic scholarships that are offered are “FULL RIDE”.

No matter what you have been told you must keep this in mind. Athletic scholarships do not guarantee you four years at college. They are only awarded for one year. Most scholarships are renewed each year but this depends; on your athletic results, academic standing and in some cases general behavior.

Full ride scholarships cover board, tuition, class fees and books.

This information can be found at http://www.collegesportsscholarships.com
leecoukfan Wrote:Basketball is classed as a “head count” sport which means that the athletic scholarships that are offered are “FULL RIDE”.

No matter what you have been told you must keep this in mind. Athletic scholarships do not guarantee you four years at college. They are only awarded for one year. Most scholarships are renewed each year but this depends; on your athletic results, academic standing and in some cases general behavior.

Full ride scholarships cover board, tuition, class fees and books.

This information can be found at http://www.collegesportsscholarships.com

o retain division I status, a football team must have 76.5 football scholarship players and can carry 85 active scholarship players. In division I-AA, schools have 63 scholarships, usually divided among 85 players.

FBS (Football Bowl Subdivision) = Division IA
FCS (Football Championship Subdivision) =IAA

Not all football scholarships are "full-ride", most are. Football scholarship numbers and rosters explained.

There are 117 division 1A,124 division 1AA and 150 division 2 colleges that offer football scholarships.

That's a total of 23,157 football scholarships available in the NCAA alone.
College football scouts look for players with a good mix of talent, you can be recruited by a top Division I school, College basketball scouts look for players with a good mix of talent, you can be recruited by a small Division III college or a top Division I school, but attending a college football camp will increase your chances of being scouted by football recruiters.

From you exact same source!http://www.collegesportsscholarships.com/football.htm
Stardust Wrote:o retain division I status, a football team must have 76.5 football scholarship players and can carry 85 active scholarship players. In division I-AA, schools have 63 scholarships, usually divided among 85 players.

FBS (Football Bowl Subdivision) = Division IA
FCS (Football Championship Subdivision) =IAA

Not all football scholarships are "full-ride", most are. Football scholarship numbers and rosters explained.

There are 117 division 1A,124 division 1AA and 150 division 2 colleges that offer football scholarships.

That's a total of 23,157 football scholarships available in the NCAA alone.
College football scouts look for players with a good mix of talent, you can be recruited by a top Division I school, College basketball scouts look for players with a good mix of talent, you can be recruited by a small Division III college or a top Division I school, but attending a college football camp will increase your chances of being scouted by football recruiters.

From you exact same source!http://www.collegesportsscholarships.com/football.htm

I thought we were talking about Basketball, not football?
Stardust:

In post 33 you claimed that it is VERY RARE that a kid be given a full scholarship.

In post 35 you claimed "Does anyone think that athletes have 100% of the school paid for."

And now you come back and quote where MOST scholarships are full rides.

Lets just say this.....ALL scholarships are fulls rides unless the school can't support it's athletic program.

We were talking about one and done athletes and then major college football. Show me one school that has had a one and done athlete that does not have ALL 13 Basketball scholarships offered as full rides.

Show me ONE FBS football player from a BCS conference that has been given a partial scholarship?

The only schools that give partials are the FCS schools, and that is usually in the case when a students receives academic money so the athletic program saves some $$$ by making up the difference.

Go ahead and just put some FACTS where your mouth is and show me ONE.
Pages: 1 2