Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fans restless? Billy G doesn't blame them
http://www.courier-journal.com/article/2...002/SPORTS

LEXINGTON, Ky. – Billy Gillispie doesn't believe in "must-win games."

Still, the Kentucky basketball coach knows that the three-game losing streak his Wildcats (16-7, 5-3 Southeastern Conference) ride into tomorrow's game against Florida (19-4, 6-2) has sent UK fans spinning.

And Gillispie doesn't blame them.

"If I were a fan, I would be getting restless, too, because we're getting beat," Gillispie said at his news conference today. "I was restless after we were 0-1, I was restless after we were 0-2, I was restless after we lost our third game to Miami, I was restless after our (loss to) Louisville, and I've been restless since these last three games."

Losses to Ole Miss, South Carolina and Mississippi State – the last two at Rupp Arena, where the Cats will host the Gators tomorrow – have taken UK out of the SEC driver's seat and into the path of oncoming traffic.

But as dire as the need may be for a win, Gillispie won't pin the "must-win" title on tomorrow's tilt with Florida.

"I've never said there was a must-win game," Gillispie said. "I think the only must-win games are the ones when you play in the (NCAA) tournament, and if you don't win, then you go home. That's a must-win, but every game is a must-play-well game, and we've got to play better than we've been playing."

UK has given up 31 three-pointers in its last three games, so tightening its perimeter defense has been a point of emphasis heading into tomorrow's game against the Gators, who average nine made three-pointers per game in SEC play.

Gillispie made some defense tweaks during UK's weekend off, but said the Cats aren't in need of major surgery. And though he's looking for the right buttons to press with his team, the panic button won't be one of them.

"We were pretty good 10 days ago," Gillispie said. "We will return. We just need to do it quick
The Florida game is a must win imo.
I don't think the Florida game is a must-win, but one that would be extremely helpful to the teams confidence and a good win for the RPI.
in order for UK to get a good bid for the NCAA tourney this is one game they need and the next one with florida they need a sweep this year....same for tenn too but both are hard task to do. i believe if we're not at least in the top 3 in the SEC and a good SEC tourney showing they will not give us a bid like last year.
kentucky will be in the NCAA if the didnt win a game since the MIAMI game because of the PAST it has nothing to do with the present... I got a question though how do you but teams at 16 seed like Lamar and stuff and in the NIT you have florida nad ohio st. like last year it doesnt make since to me
theVILLE Wrote:kentucky will be in the NCAA if the didnt win a game since the MIAMI game because of the PAST it has nothing to do with the present... I got a question though how do you but teams at 16 seed like Lamar and stuff and in the NIT you have florida nad ohio st. like last year it doesnt make since to me

Beacause they went their Conference tournament,Which is an auto bid.
MVP2 Wrote:Beacause they went their Conference tournament,Which is an auto bid.

Correct, good post
i think Billy Clyde will be fine, UK will turn this thing back around tonight with a win over Florida.
First off, they will not win tonight against Florida. Second, every game is a must win these days. You cant have losses to teams like Ole Miss, South Carolina, Mississippi St. and VMI, teams that UK could clearly beat if they had a coach that knew what he was doing or even talking about. When a team is struggling like UK is, every game is a must win, you cant take losses so easy like this idiot does. A coach should want to win every game, not just tournament games. Besides, if you dont win the regular season games, you wont get into the tournament to have to worry about winning or losing those games. This guy is an idiot, how much longer are UK fans and anyone that has anything to do with UK going to put up with him and his mentality?
Sports_Fan28 Wrote:how much longer are UK fans and anyone that has anything to do with UK going to put up with him and his mentality?

Next year will be the determining year, IMO.

If UK improves next year, he will stay. If not, he will probably be booted.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
MVP2 Wrote:Beacause they went their Conference tournament,Which is an auto bid.

Hillarious