Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Time to reflect on Tubby
With all the "Billy D " talk some things have gone under the radar somewhat. Is there any doubt that Tubbys lack of recruiting ability has this program in the shape it is now? I know some of you are going to bring up the '04 class. But of the 3 Burger Boys in that class, Rondo left early and the other 2 (Morris & Crawford) did everything in their power to get out of Lexington. I've heard it said he was loyal to his coaching staff and refused to make any changes thus one of the reasons he wanted to leave. Well, he wasn't too loyal because the last time I checked, he took none of his coaching staff with him. No doubt Tubby is a great guy. You never heard any recruit do nothing but rave about Tubby. But for whatever reason when it came time to sign, they wouldn't sign with him. To me bottom line is this and it cannot be argued......when Tubby took over, UK was the envy of the college basketball world. I know thats hard to sustain, but its clear he left this program in a lot worse shape than he found it. And no matter what, that points back to him.
Get over it. Tubby is gone and a certain % of you should just be happy you got your wish. Now we have to live with it.
FBALL Wrote:Get over it. Tubby is gone and a certain % of you should just be happy you got your wish. Now we have to live with it.

I supported Tubby over the years. I didn't get on here or any board and bash him. Can you say he left the program in as good of shape as he found it?
Bengal Cat Wrote:I supported Tubby over the years. I didn't get on here or any board and bash him. Can you say he left the program in as good of shape as he found it?
Nope. But I can't say he found it to be as good as advertised either.
I'd call 3 final fours in 5 yrs, 2 straight championship games, a national championship and the players in place to win another pretty good shape. Seeing how the next UK coach might not have enough talent in place to make the ncaa tourney.
I wasn't talking about the talent level or success of the team.
tubby is laughing at us right now up in Minnesota.
are you measuring tubby's success on wins and losses
I'm glad tubby is gone he was turning an elite basketball program into crap. The UK basketball program was going nowhere but down the drain. I remember when pitino was coach when the uk players stepped on the court we expected to win and with tubby being coach it was hard to tell if the players were going to come out and play hard or just come out and play sloppy. i know teams will have their off nights but the past few years of uk basketball have been really inconsistant. I'm glad tubby's gone because the uk basketball program needed change to get back to its elite status
Tubby Smith is gone. Time to move on.
DevilsWin Wrote:Tubby Smith is gone. Time to move on.

So is Pitino, but hes talked about alot. I thought Tubby was a great bench coach. If you give Tubby equal talent he will win. For some reason he was just unable to keep the talent level up.