Poll: Who Wins?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
(4) Kentucky
76.19%
(5) West Virginia
23.81%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(4) Kentucky vs. (5) West Virginia 3/19 (NCCA Tournament - 3rd RD)
12:15 Tip - CBS/WKYT

thoughts?
UK.

Knight and Lamb both will not play like they did against Princeton.
I do expect a better scoring game from the two...but I think wv's defense will send us home again. Calipari just can't seem to get over the hump with Huggins. God I hope I am wrong. I want some serious revenge for last year.
The main problem last year was inability to shoot the 3.

The best ways to beat the Huggy-bear 1-3-1 is:
1. Skip passes. Liggins is great at these. I envision a few Liggins to Miller skip passes for 3's.
2. Weak-side baseline layups. Lamb could have a massive game.
3. 2nd chance offensive rebounds. With four men away from the basket. That leaves Harrellson 1-1 for offensive rebounds. He almost always wins those.
Cats-72
Mt Neers-63
Im glad they got a horrible game out of the way and still won.
Hopefully knight and lamb will play better and will lead us to a game with the number one team in the country.
UK 68 WV 49

Wheres danger at? Hes being awful quiet especially since the bracket came out.
Guess hes not ready for revenge. All that trash talk from last year is about to stop.
I picked with my heart in my bracket, but the more I think about everything, I see UK losing Saturday...
LWC Wrote:The main problem last year was inability to shoot the 3.

The best ways to beat the Huggy-bear 1-3-1 is:
1. Skip passes. Liggins is great at these. I envision a few Liggins to Miller skip passes for 3's.
2. Weak-side baseline layups. Lamb could have a massive game.
3. 2nd chance offensive rebounds. With four men away from the basket. That leaves Harrellson 1-1 for offensive rebounds. He almost always wins those.

I doubt Huggy will play that 1-3-1 against this UK team.
Straight man to man.
Aslan Wrote:I doubt Huggy will play that 1-3-1 against this UK team.
Straight man to man.

I don't know if he can. UK presents so many match-up problems in the man-to-man defense.
Theyll play zone which is why this game could be a loss if we shoot like we did tonight.
I think huggins would be stupid to go man.
West Virginia doesn't have a slow pace that Princeton had, so I expect UK to have a better rhythm in this game.
Time to get some revenge:flame:
UK rolls WVU.
Aslan I smell an avatar bet lmao.
go Cats, WV can still play good defense, be harder game than most expect.
Prediction:

UK by 4 in a revenge game for Coach Cal.
By no means am I saying that WVU will win this game....actually I have a bad feeling about it. I think UK got the bad game out of the way yesterday. However, I think these two teams match-up better than some of you think.

Darius Miller - Kevin Jones or John Flowers
Terrence Jones - Kevin Jones or John Flowers
Brandon Knight - Joe Mazzulla
Doron Lamb - Truck Bryant
Josh Harrellson - Cam Thoroughman or Deniz Kilicli

Neither team has much of a bench, so foul trouble could play a major role. I think it will come down to whether Cal will run a zone against WVU. If UK stays in a man-to-man, WVU will run them off screens all day, but if they will pack it back into a zone WVU generally does not shoot well and that takes away the offensive rebounds. Also, WVU does not care to slow the ball down and make it an UGLY game. If WVU goes 9-10 minutes without a FG, then they get beat....but if they are shooting well, they're in it with a chance to win.
I do not expect WVU to run the 1-3-1 much either. They will only use it in spots. It is not nearly as effective as it was last year with Ebanks on the front (although you would probably have a hard time making Clemson believe that).
My prediction is a close, ugly game.
ImagineThat! Wrote:By no means am I saying that WVU will win this game....actually I have a bad feeling about it. I think UK got the bad game out of the way yesterday. However, I think these two teams match-up better than some of you think.

Darius Miller - Kevin Jones or John Flowers
Terrence Jones - Kevin Jones or John Flowers
Brandon Knight - Joe Mazzulla
Doron Lamb - Truck Bryant
Josh Harrellson - Cam Thoroughman or Deniz Kilicli

Neither team has much of a bench, so foul trouble could play a major role. I think it will come down to whether Cal will run a zone against WVU. If UK stays in a man-to-man, WVU will run them off screens all day, but if they will pack it back into a zone WVU generally does not shoot well and that takes away the offensive rebounds. Also, WVU does not care to slow the ball down and make it an UGLY game. If WVU goes 9-10 minutes without a FG, then they get beat....but if they are shooting well, they're in it with a chance to win.
I do not expect WVU to run the 1-3-1 much either. They will only use it in spots. It is not nearly as effective as it was last year with Ebanks on the front (although you would probably have a hard time making Clemson believe that).
My prediction is a close, ugly game.

You hit it right on IT:Thumbs:

The Huggs D can pose problems for the Cats. If Knight as ineffective as he was yesterday, the Cats cannot win this game
Stardust Wrote:You hit it right on IT:Thumbs:

The Huggs D can pose problems for the Cats. If Knight as ineffective as he was yesterday, the Cats cannot win this game

That's what worries me...I do not see Knight playing that poorly two games in a row. I hope that WVU's age, maturity and tourney experience pays off and that Mazzulla can get to Knight. The Miller match-up worries me most, though. I think he poses the biggest match-up problem for WVU, but you never know what Huggins has in store. I know that Huggins would never overlook a team like Clemson, but you know that he has game planned for this game since Sunday evening.

When it's all said and done, I predict UK - 70 WVU - 67 and Cal gets the monkey off his back. That's my head talking, not my heart. My heart says that WVU pulls out a 73 - 66 win and Morehead St. advances farther than UK and Louisville and Dan torments BGR for another year. :biggrin: Man I hope my heart is correct. LET'S GO MOUNTAINEERS!!!!
^Noone and I mean noone on WVU's team has the defense to stop Knight and Miller both..

Miller is playing to his full potential now, and every game I have seen within the last 10 games or more, it has been the Miller and Knight show...

When Miller plays the way he is supposed to, UK wins... easy as that.
Ballers Wrote:^Noone and I mean noone on WVU's team has the defense to stop Knight and Miller both..

Miller is playing to his full potential now, and every game I have seen within the last 10 games or more, it has been the Miller and Knight show...

When Miller plays the way he is supposed to, UK wins... easy as that.

Miller and Knight may go off for 30 apiece, but the part that you fail to realize is that WVU's defensive scheme is not for each player to individually shut down his man. It is about TEAM defense. I bet that Princeton didn't have one player on the team that could match up with Knight. I honestly figure UK pulls this one out, but I hope Cal and the Cats underestimate WVU like you do. I'm not saying...I'm just saying.
ImagineThat! Wrote:Miller and Knight may go off for 30 apiece, but the part that you fail to realize is that WVU's defensive scheme is not for each player to individually shut down his man. It is about TEAM defense. I bet that Princeton didn't have one player on the team that could match up with Knight. I honestly figure UK pulls this one out, but I hope Cal and the Cats underestimate WVU like you do. I'm not saying...I'm just saying.

The only people that pose any threats on WVU's team IMO is Flowers and Jones.. The turkish guy is big, but half the time I don't think he knows really where he is at or what he's doing... Mazulla, well we all know is streaky..
Here I am yUcKster's and Imagine!!!! If Flowers and Mazzula can stay out of foul trouble, UK is in for a long day.
UK in a barn burner. 4 point win or less.
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
This is going to be fun.

UK 67
WVU 54
dangerousdaneerfan Wrote:Here I am yUcKster's and Imagine!!!! If Flowers and Mazzula can stay out of foul trouble, UK is in for a long day.

If the bus breaks down, and UK can't make it to the gym is the only chance the NEERS have :biggrin:
"Whatcha gonna do Stardust???? Whatcha gonna do Mr. Perfect????? Whatcha gonna do when MountaineerMania runs wild on you??????????"
UK ALL DAY BABY!! The Wildcats will get their revenge on the Mountaineers!!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LOSERS QUIT WHEN THEY'RE TIRED, WINNERS QUIT WHEN THEY HAVE WON
dangerousdaneerfan Wrote:"Whatcha gonna do Stardust???? Whatcha gonna do Mr. Perfect????? Whatcha gonna do when MountaineerMania runs wild on you??????????"

We're going to be to busy puking from watching you all making out with your sisters dude...
vundy33 Wrote:We're going to be to busy puking from watching you all making out with your sisters dude...

Lol, or we will be busy laughing at West Virginia's pride and joy the Wild Wonderful Whites.
I hope WVU plays that 1-3-1, this UK team can shoot unlike last years team. Kentucky has to knock down their shots. I got a good feeling about this game. UK by 9.