Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spring Practice
With the district tournaments beginning this week, there could possibly be some school's who's teams get eliminated begin Spring practice next Monday.

Am I correct? When your basketball team gets beat out, the three week window to get 10 days of Spring practice begins the following Monday?
Mama Bear Wrote:With the district tournaments beginning this week, there could possibly be some school's who's teams get eliminated begin Spring practice next Monday.

Am I correct? When your basketball team gets beat out, the three week window to get 10 days of Spring practice begins the following Monday?

Yes you are correct
Belfry prob will make it to regional, then get beat, so in couple they probally will have it,hope they prove me wrong....
Both teams. Let's not forget women's basketball Mama Bear.
Yogibear Wrote:Both teams. Let's not forget women's basketball Mama Bear.

Thanks for the clarification Yogi. I forgot what an avid women's basketball fan you are.
I believe the Kentucky Football Coaches Association is going to propose a rule to the KHSAA Board of Controls to allow current 8th graders to participate in Spring Practice. I am all for it, no difference than AAU basketball in my opinion. However, let the kids decide which they want to be part of.
Fly Like a Duck Wrote:I believe the Kentucky Football Coaches Association is going to propose a rule to the KHSAA Board of Controls to allow current 8th graders to participate in Spring Practice. I am all for it, no difference than AAU basketball in my opinion. However, let the kids decide which they want to be part of.

I think they should be allowed to practice with the high school. Maybe no contact. 8th graders can actually practice all you want them to just not with the HS.
They'll be practicing with them come summertime so why not let them get a head start so they get a feel for high school football?
8th graders do not need to be practicing in spring ball. In fact spring football should be done away with. It's done very arbitrary. The window opens when both boys and girl teams are eliminated? That's ridicules. What does girls basketball have to do with football? Some teams window will open within a week yet others open a month or more from now. Is that a level playing field? Instead the state should permit full equipment practice after the dead period in July and open up June for passing leagues. Let the kids play spring sports.
nky Wrote:8th graders do not need to be practicing in spring ball. In fact spring football should be done away with. It's done very arbitrary. The window opens when both boys and girl teams are eliminated? That's ridicules. What does girls basketball have to do with football? Some teams window will open within a week yet others open a month or more from now. Is that a level playing field? Instead the state should permit full equipment practice after the dead period in July and open up June for passing leagues. Let the kids play spring sports.

I agree 100%!
nky Wrote:8th graders do not need to be practicing in spring ball. In fact spring football should be done away with. It's done very arbitrary. The window opens when both boys and girl teams are eliminated? That's ridicules. What does girls basketball have to do with football? Some teams window will open within a week yet others open a month or more from now. Is that a level playing field? Instead the state should permit full equipment practice after the dead period in July and open up June for passing leagues. Let the kids play spring sports.

I agree. Why it matters when the girls basketball season ends is beyond me.

Kids can and should play their spring sports, but the fact of the matter is, baseball teams typically dress about 30 kids 9-12 at the max, with half of thoe at best maybe being football kids; so that's 15 kids. Track might have another 15 or so football kids at max. So, that's 30 kids at best out of a team of, let's say 50. What about the other 20 kids that don't play baseball or track.

Why is it bad to take them out for 10 days and really concentrating on football fundamentals as a time to improve?

Let me ask you this, if you are against football spring practice, are you also against AAU basketball in the spring and fall baseball? Regardless of the fact it is typically AAU/Recreational affiliated. Honest question.
The reason for waiting on the females is title 9. What if a girl wanted to play spring football and her team was still playing in the girls state finals? Not probable but you know someone thought about a law suit when the rule was made.
I still could just kick myself for not playing football once basketball was over back in the day, heh, heh...:biggrin:
footballfever Wrote:I think they should be allowed to practice with the high school. Maybe no contact. 8th graders can actually practice all you want them to just not with the HS.
I believe that the 8th graders should be in the wieght room, during spring practice. Getting stronger is the best thing they could do to get ready for high school. Spring ball is for a young frosh or soph. to climb the depth chart. mainly for the line, a lot of skill players are on the baseball field at that time
I agree MADJACK, I would like to see the 8th graders in the weightroom while next years JV/Varsity teams hit the field in pads!!!
Fly Like a Duck Wrote:I agree. Why it matters when the girls basketball season ends is beyond me.

Kids can and should play their spring sports, but the fact of the matter is, baseball teams typically dress about 30 kids 9-12 at the max, with half of thoe at best maybe being football kids; so that's 15 kids. Track might have another 15 or so football kids at max. So, that's 30 kids at best out of a team of, let's say 50. What about the other 20 kids that don't play baseball or track.

Why is it bad to take them out for 10 days and really concentrating on football fundamentals as a time to improve?

Let me ask you this, if you are against football spring practice, are you also against AAU basketball in the spring and fall baseball? Regardless of the fact it is typically AAU/Recreational affiliated. Honest question.
Those are not high school related so the high schools can not and should not regulate them. Those not involved in a spring sport can still be in the weight room and working on speed drills. Better yet get them involved with the track team. To many times their are coaches who "pressure" the kids to be at spring football practice even if they are on a spring team. Or try and make it mandatory to lift in the morning before school. High schoolers will try to please everyone and will do to much. This leads to fatigue and in the long run hurts them and the programs
Does anyone know why the state requires schools to have their spring practice during the 15 days after the last basketball team loses?

I hate this idea!!! I feel as if football teams benefit from their basketball teams going farther than others. They have warmer and overall better weather than those teams that are at a school with terrible bball teams.
nky Wrote:Those are not high school related so the high schools can not and should not regulate them. Those not involved in a spring sport can still be in the weight room and working on speed drills. Better yet get them involved with the track team. To many times their are coaches who "pressure" the kids to be at spring football practice even if they are on a spring team. Or try and make it mandatory to lift in the morning before school. High schoolers will try to please everyone and will do to much. This leads to fatigue and in the long run hurts them and the programs

Yeah, just like student-athlete playing football should choose Vanderbilt over Florida because of academics or like a high profile basketball recruit should choose an Ivy League program over UK or Kansas (but, if they are that smart and that highly recruited, then they probably go to Duke, so that might not have been the best example; either way, you get what I'm saying). If you think that the high school coaches of basketball and baseball don't know what's going on during and/or don't have some sort of imput during their AAU or rec league teams in the off season, then you need to pull the blinds back from over your eyes.

As far as the track team, I agree. Track is the best sport for athletes in terms of improving their game in other arenas. You get faster, you get better. It's that simple. Fact of the matter is, not all kids will run track.

I'm a fan of all sports and have several friends that coach all of them, too. While I know some in each sport that at times have pressured kids into playing only their sport, I must say that the basketball coaches (some baseball) are more to blame when it comes to this than football.

Mandatory lifting in the morning for those football kids that play other sports is selfish and dumb. I agree 100%. Football coaches wouldn't want like it if the basketball coach made it mandatory to lift during football season. However, the flip side of that coin is your best players, whatever the sport, find time to lift year around in some form or fashion. The intensity of their lifting might change depending on what's going on, but they still find time.
No matter what sport your playing weight lifting SHOULD be manditry IMO!!
Pigskinman53 Wrote:No matter what sport your playing weight lifting SHOULD be manditry IMO!!

Right you are. If kids lifted year round, then you wouldn't have to worry about soreness as much. They would get in the routine of working their sets of muscles and constantly be improving. In saying that, you wouldn't want to do 8x2 of 90% on Bench Press, Power CLean and Squats on game day, but be smart in the workout you do.

Karl Malone and Ben Wallace are two NBA guys that were very public about their pregame workouts; the day of! Why people believe that getting a good sweat going before your game on that day is a bad thing, is beyond me. I'm not saying do the 300 Workout, but to get a good sweat going a few hours before kick-off, tip off or the first pitch is not going to kill you. In fact, it will probably do the exact opposite and make you more alive. I know it did with with me.
So we're now comparing pro athletes to high school?

AAU/RecLeague/select teams are not regulated by the KHSSA so it's hard to enforce anything dealing with them. The parents should be the responsible ones and the schools should have policies in place to protect kids. If a team is in season (football in the fall) then a student should not be playing AAU basketball or select team fall baseball. Let the kids be kids.
Fly Like a Duck Wrote:Yeah, just like student-athlete playing football should choose Vanderbilt over Florida because of academics.

How about the student-athlete chooses the college that he feels is the best fit for him academically. That's what college is all about, getting an education. But that's a different argument.

Let the kids enjoy high school, I've seen 1st hand where a school tried to make weight-lifting and spring football mandatory for future football players. Some coaches forget that a kid can quit if he's unhappy there. Now will lifting and working out make you a better football player? Yes. Will playing basketball, baseball, and track and field hurt your chances of going to a big time football school? No
My whole point is to allow 8th graders that want to participate in Spring Football do just that, participate in spring football. I'm a guy that played three sports every year in high school and love, love, love the three sport athlete. I wish more of our kids were. Nothing sickens me more than to to hear a 13 year old kid say "I'm concentrating on baseball or football or basketball only." Play them all! Again, my whole point is to allow the option, that's all.

Our opinions on how much or how little strength/conditioning training that should go on are for a whole different subject.
Fly Like a Duck Wrote:Right you are. If kids lifted year round, then you wouldn't have to worry about soreness as much. They would get in the routine of working their sets of muscles and constantly be improving. In saying that, you wouldn't want to do 8x2 of 90% on Bench Press, Power CLean and Squats on game day, but be smart in the workout you do.

Karl Malone and Ben Wallace are two NBA guys that were very public about their pregame workouts; the day of! Why people believe that getting a good sweat going before your game on that day is a bad thing, is beyond me. I'm not saying do the 300 Workout, but to get a good sweat going a few hours before kick-off, tip off or the first pitch is not going to kill you. In fact, it will probably do the exact opposite and make you more alive. I know it did with with me.

Obviously, you know very little about strength and conditioning. Especially in young athletes.

You do realize that the schools approved a change to the spring football timing, don't you? The change doesn't go into effect this spring (the change has to be approved by the State Board of Education and a General Assembly committee, but is expected to be approved and go into effect next year). Once approved, it will eliminate the mandatory 3 weeks to get in 10 practices right after the boys and girls basketball teams are eliminated, and will allow the schools much greater flexibility to schedule spring football.

I agree on letting the kids play spring sports but if they want to play spring football, why take that away from them? To me it seems if some adults and coaches want to do away with spring football to force the kids to play baseball or run track. Those folks are as bad as those football coaches pressuring kids to play spring football.

I do think that any football coach that attempts to pressure a kid wanting to play baseball to not play and come out for spring football instead should be warned and then fired if he continues such behavior.
charlie22 Wrote:You do realize that the schools approved a change to the spring football timing, don't you? The change doesn't go into effect this spring (the change has to be approved by the State Board of Education and a General Assembly committee, but is expected to be approved and go into effect next year). Once approved, it will eliminate the mandatory 3 weeks to get in 10 practices right after the boys and girls basketball teams are eliminated, and will allow the schools much greater flexibility to schedule spring football.

I agree on letting the kids play spring sports but if they want to play spring football, why take that away from them? To me it seems if some adults and coaches want to do away with spring football to force the kids to play baseball or run track. Those folks are as bad as those football coaches pressuring kids to play spring football.

I do think that any football coach that attempts to pressure a kid wanting to play baseball to not play and come out for spring football instead should be warned and then fired if he continues such behavior.
I'm very aware of the new rules for spring football that will further interfere with spring sports.
8th Graders will have 3 years for spring football they don't need more.
I've been involved with coaching varsity football off and on for 20+ years here in NKY. With that experience and point of view teams would be better served with more contact in July with a full team instead of March with key players missing
Young Henry Man Wrote:Obviously, you know very little about strength and conditioning. Especially in young athletes.

Obviously, you're wrong.

What in that post makes you think that I don't know anything about strength and conditioning in young athletes. Because I gave an example of Karl Malone and Ben Wallace? That was just a general statement.
Fly Like a Duck Wrote:Right you are. If kids lifted year round, then you wouldn't have to worry about soreness as much. They would get in the routine of working their sets of muscles and constantly be improving. In saying that, you wouldn't want to do 8x2 of 90% on Bench Press, Power CLean and Squats on game day, but be smart in the workout you do.

Tell me what about te above was wrong.
Strength training is a good thing, but its not for everyone, escpecially grade school and middle school kids. Their bones are not fully developed by that time and could harm them early.

i agree with fly like a duck though, if an 8th grader wants to start early working out with the high school team, thats fine. he could run, do non-contact drills. But I would advise that they stay away from lifting, unless its very light weight (the bar) working on form.
toussaints Wrote:Strength training is a good thing, but its not for everyone, escpecially grade school and middle school kids. Their bones are not fully developed by that time and could harm them early.

i agree with fly like a duck though, if an 8th grader wants to start early working out with the high school team, thats fine. he could run, do non-contact drills. But I would advise that they stay away from lifting, unless its very light weight (the bar) working on form.

You got it! Learning how to lift is the key. The strength and weight will come, but so many kids out there do not know the proper techniques in lifting, which result in a couple things:

1) Serious injury

2) Hampering them from increasing their strength and weight they want to push around because they haven't learned the proper technique(s).

Is that right Young Henry or is that another sign of someone who is clueless about strength and conditioning?