Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which school hosts the best Wymt Tournament? Knott or Perry
Hey guys and gals, thought this would be real interesting to see what you guys think on this.
????
Originally, the tournament was ALWAYS hosted in Knott Co., but complaints from Perry Co. viewers saying that the tournament should be hosted in Perry Co. because WYMT is located in Perry Co. basically resulted in them having to alternate the tournament. (This is the story thats been going around for awhile that caused the move) IMO Knott has the best facilities, other than parking, but they seem to always have the best atmosphere and nicest set up, decorations, and hospitality room.

Plus everyone at WYMT has stated on several occasions that the tournament really belongs in Knott Co.

So I hope that answered your question.
Perry has the newer gym and they both seat about the same number of people. Perry has a great parking situation, while Knott's is pathetic.
I enjoy it at either place though.
Is this really worth discussing?
Aslan Wrote:Perry has the newer gym and they both seat about the same number of people. Perry has a great parking situation, while Knott's is pathetic.
I enjoy it at either place though.

Knott seats about 1 or 200 more than Perry.

Besides, PCC might have the newer gym, but Knott's is BY FAR the nicest.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:Is this really worth discussing?

Not really, lol, I guess we are just enlightening someone on opinions.
PATS2011 Wrote:Knott seats about 1 or 200 more than Perry.

Not at all.
PATS2011 Wrote:Knott seats about 1 or 200 more than Perry.

You know I'm going to disagree with ya there. Perry without a doubt in my mind, has the nicest gym around here. Don't get me wrong though I also LOVE Knotts too.

This is just gonna show who has the most harcore fans on here and who causes the thread out of hand first.

I don't see why it's not? lol.
Aslan Wrote:You know I'm going to disagree with ya there. Perry without a doubt in my mind, has the nicest gym around here. Don't get me wrong though I also LOVE Knotts too.

Well then I guess we will agree to disagree. Just remember where people at WYMT think it should be.
PATS2011 Wrote:Well then I guess we will agree to disagree. Just remember where people at WYMT think it should be.

I mean the WYMT new stations is in Hazard, less than 5 minutes from Perry Centrals High School. MC Napier or Dilce Combs didn't have a big enough gym to host it until they consolidated or it probably would have been here the whole time. If its a 10 at Perry in my mind then its a 9 at Knott :thumpsup:
Aslan Wrote:I mean the WYMT new stations is in Hazard, less than 5 minutes from Perry Centrals High School. MC Napier or Dilce Combs didn't have a big enough gym to host it until they consolidated or it probably would have been here the whole time. If its a 10 at Perry in my mind then its a 9 at Knott :thumpsup:

Not what they said on TV and the radio....
PATS2011 Wrote:Not what they said on TV and the radio....

What'd they say?
I'd rather see it be held at Hazard's Memorial Gym.

That's high school basketball!
BlackcatAlum Wrote:I'd rather see it be held at Hazard's Memorial Gym.

with parking space for 2 buses and about 8 cars. lol

IDC how awesome the atmosphere is that gym is on its last legs.
Aslan Wrote:What'd they say?

They said it belonged in Knott Co.

Really???

Haha. The parking is the worst, but as bad as I hate to say it, you can't beat the atmosphere there.
PATS2011 Wrote:with parking space for 2 buses and about 8 cars. lol

IDC how awesome the atmosphere is that gym is on its last legs.

True, but although me nor you probably remember but back in the day, parking was limited at every gym. If people really want to see a good game that's usually put on by WYMT and their Mountain Classic, then they'll come regardless of where the game is.
PATS2011 Wrote:They said it belonged in Knott Co.

I see. Thats cool. I think WYMT should defintely take advantage of the nicest facility in the region though with Perry. It's just so much more convinent, with it being held at Perry. To me at least haha.
Brian Milam should post his thoughts. :Thumbs:
BlackcatAlum Wrote:True, but although me nor you probably remember but back in the day, parking was limited at every gym. If people really want to see a good game that's usually put on by WYMT and their Mountain Classic, then they'll come regardless of where the game is.

That is true, i just remember when we play at Hazard if we take a bus for students we have to park in a lot across from the foot of the hill, cross the road an walk up the entire hill to memorial.
PATS2011 Wrote:That is true, i just remember when we play at Hazard if we take a bus for students we have to park in a lot across from the foot of the hill, cross the road an walk up the entire hill to memorial.

There's nothing wrong with a little exercise.

Wink
That is a long, tough, walk up that frekon hill. And its a misable walk down if you leave there with a L.
Being from another school in the region, I will give my opinion. Perry definitely has better parking but that is about it. Knott Centrals gym seating is better and more spacious and more fan friendly. PCC has the old rickety pull-out bleachers. KCC's lobby area has more space as you have an upstairs and downstairs. At PCC, if there is four fat people in the lobby it is completely full. The dressing rooms at KCC are nicer and cleaner. The hospitality room is usually more accessible at KCC and usually has better food. Some posters have stated that PCC has the nicest gym in the area. There is a difference between nice and big. It is definitely one of the biggest but it isn't the nicest. There are smaller gyms in the area that are nicer. Unless they just added it, PCC doesn't even have air conditioning for the summer months.
Aslan Wrote:That is a long, tough, walk up that frekon hill. And its a misable walk down if you leave there with a L.

That's how it outta be.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:True, but although me nor you probably remember but back in the day, parking was limited at every gym. If people really want to see a good game that's usually put on by WYMT and their Mountain Classic, then they'll come regardless of where the game is.

It Hazards gym was located in another town or county, they wouldn't even have the boys region there. The most positive thing you can say is, it is nostalgic. It is too small, it appears that the seating numbers is inflated, the dressing rooms are in bad shape, the hospitality room is usually mediocre, and the parking is pitiful unless you like getting frostbite riding the trolleys. It is fine for a girls tournament, not a boys. If you want to do split sessions in boys then it may be okay.
OrangenowBlue Wrote:It Hazards gym was located in another town or county, they wouldn't even have the boys region there. The most positive thing you can say is, it is nostalgic. It is too small, it appears that the seating numbers is inflated, the dressing rooms are in bad shape, the hospitality room is usually mediocre, and the parking is pitiful unless you like getting frostbite riding the trolleys. It is fine for a girls tournament, not a boys. If you want to do split sessions in boys then it may be okay.

Memorial Gym is Kentucky high school basketball. Its not the smallest gym nor is it the biggest. Folks care to much these days about looks and how fan friendly a gymnasium or stadium is. I'm sure majority of the Belfry fans would love to have Vipperman Stadium back, because that's high school football. Theirs tons of memories in these types of sporting venues.

Sure I'd like to not have to walk a long distance or be attached at the hip with some stranger, but I love sports and enjoy watching games at gymnasiums that are old like Memorial Gym and Paintsville's Gym. These places are loaded with memories and are fit to the way Kentucky high school basketball used to be.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:Memorial Gym is Kentucky high school basketball. Its not the smallest gym nor is it the biggest. Folks care to much these days about looks and how fan friendly a gymnasium or stadium is. I'm sure majority of the Belfry fans would love to have Vipperman Stadium back, because that's high school football. Theirs tons of memories in these types of sporting venues.

Sure I'd like to not have to walk a long distance or be attached at the hip with some stranger, but I love sports and enjoy watching games at gymnasiums that are old like Memorial Gym and Paintsville's Gym. These places are loaded with memories and are fit to the way Kentucky high school basketball used to be.

As far as the memories and nostalgia, I will have to agree.