Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Did it surprise you that.....
........Belfry's backfield has field in so nicely for the gradutating seniors of 2004?

I thought they would be a year away from playing at the level they are at now, but in my opinion all 4 (QB Phillips, RBs Maynard & Chapman, & FB May) have played above what I expected them to this year.

I don't mean it to sound like I thought they couldn't do the job, but you can tell that all of the guys above put in a little extra work in the off-season and stepped up their play quite a bit this year.

Pleasant surprise to say the least.

BTW......The O-Line has done a tremendous job as well. But thats a common thing at Belfry. We don't rebuild lines, we reload.:wieghts:
I agree totally Happy.

I really thought that P-burg would be the ones to beat this year. I didn't doubt Belfry had the talent on the sideline to fill the positions, but I did doubt the coming together and getting it done as quickly as they have.

Nice job by the coaches and players.:Cheerlead
Another regular season has come and gone and everyone in Eastern Kentucky is scratching their heads wondering if there is somthing in the water at Pond Creek. Haywood and his staff did a great job getting this team prepared and in the right frame of mind for the season, but another congradulation goes out to the players who didn't give up on themselves when most figured they would not be as dominant as they had been. (Myself included) I wish Belfry the best of luck unless they meet SC in the regional championship. If thats the case I'm hoping for a Pirate loss, but I'm pulling for Pond Creek any time they don't play my Cardinals.
Good post MP...

I am not too suprised by what Belfry has done this year. I like many other Piratefans expect the team to do great things, we have a expectation that anything less than the best is failure, we have a fear of failing.
I was a real joy when we came there and played belfry early in the year and to see how well they were playing. The back that stuck out the most was the big fullback may, Good luck Belfry in the playoffs
I am not too surprised at the who won the district again...Belfry's line is unreal.
It has really surprised me ! they have stepped up to the challenge and they are ready to go with anyone! I saw them on tv when they played Henry Clay and I thought that HC wasnt as good as they turned out to be, I thought the same about belfry, but all them years standing on the sideline watching David jones and Doug howard just made them better athletes.
i was suprised about belfrys backfield
I want some Pond creek water, Puts hair on your knuckles and tropheys in your cabinet

[Image: http://img334.imageshack.us/img334/2358/...tle7je.jpg]
I figured they would be playing pretty good by this point in the season,,, but had no clue they would play so well throughout the course of the season itself. My biggest surprise has been Matt Maynard who made the transition from SE to HB... the kid is a baller, no other way around it. Phillips has also steadily improved and I feel he is head and shoulders above Warren at this point in the season.

I honestly feel that if we can shore up our tackling issues, run our HB's a little more between the tackles, and GET OUR FREAKIN FANS TO GET OFF THEIR BUTTS AND REALIZE HOW GOOD THIS TEAM IS, then I have a feeling there will be some rewarding times....

p.s. it is downright scary to think how good we can be next year with so much talent returning on both sides of the ball!
That's great cheem....The bottle of "Pond Creek Water"
The Cheem Wrote:I want some Pond creek water, Puts hair on your knuckles and tropheys in your cabinet

[Image: http://img334.imageshack.us/img334/2358/...tle7je.jpg]

Smile Smile
I agree
I havent got the pleasure of watching Belfry and there new backfield this year, but I played them last year and there backfield was just awesome. I never thought they would of reloaded so quickly and if they did, not with as much talent as the past year.
I got a sack last year in the Belfry/Magoffin That I will always have bragging rights I got a Sack on the DEFENDING state Champions
It has really surprised me ! they have stepped up to the challenge and they are ready to go with anyone! I saw them on tv when they played Henry Clay and I thought that HC wasnt as good as they turned out to be, I thought the same about belfry, but all them years standing on the sideline watching David jones and Doug howard just made them better athletes.
It doesnt surprise me at all. When you have a great coach, and good athletes every year, its very easy to reload.
id be surprised if this team manages to win state again
toolbox Wrote:id be surprised if this team manages to win state again

Yeah, just like everyone doubted Belfry this year......Smile Rolleyes
BelfryPride Wrote:Yeah, just like everyone doubted Belfry this year......Smile Rolleyes

im not doubting them at all. I would be really be surprised because thier talent level this year isnt what it has been in the past. If they win, my hat goes off to PH and the coaching staff. :rock:
There's no difference in the talent level, our lines anchor this team. We have three RBs that will run all over you in Maynard, Chapman & May. Yes we did have to replace David & Doug, and I think we have done it very well. Belfry will be returning some major talent next year....Our only achilles heel right now seems to be tackling and fumbles. They have been worked real hard since the Shelby Valley game....We will see an improvement in those areas im sure of it.
BelfryPride Wrote:There's no difference in the talent level, our lines anchor this team. We have three RBs that will run all over you in Maynard, Chapman & May. Yes we did have to replace David & Doug, and I think we have done it very well. Belfry will be returning some major talent next year....Our only achilles heel right now seems to be tackling and fumbles. They have been worked real hard since the Shelby Valley game....We will see an improvement in those areas im sure of it.

I agree. But the major test will Russel. The Russel game IMO will tell us more about the talent level of this years Belfry team.
Yeah, Russell is a team very much like Belfry, we will have to tackle and take care of the ball. If Belfry is successful at ball control, there's no one that can beat them.
toolbox Wrote:im not doubting them at all. I would be really be surprised because thier talent level this year isnt what it has been in the past. If they win, my hat goes off to PH and the coaching staff. :rock:

Talent is down in 2A as a whole, but Belfry is just as talented as anybody.

With the exception of maybe Fort Campbell.
If Belfry stays away from injuries they will be in the championship game again.IMO
Maynard, Chapman, and May have stepped in and played well.