Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Top 10 Mountain Qb's in the last Decade
Who are they?
Alan Short from LC has to be in there, along with Dontae Wright.
The older Haddix at Breathitt County who played at Western.
The best quarterback to put the pads on this decade is Justin Haddix of Breathitt County. No one else is even close.
Cat Daddy Wrote:The best quarterback to put the pads on this decade is Justin Haddix of Breathitt County. No one else is even close.

I agree.
Yea Justin Haddix was a great QB.

Also I would put Al Holland Jr. & Steven Sizemore & Zach lewis on the list.
Charlie Banks may have been one of the toughest, hard-nosed quarterbacks in the mountains. He didn't have the passing stats some other QB's had but he had the tenacity and the will to win.
Justin Haddix without a doubt.
Last 10 years means that Tim Couch can't be in this list. Without him then I would say Justin Haddix, Aaron Anderkin (led his team to 2 straight State Championship games), the guy at Clay County, Holland Jr., I seem to remember PCC or Hazard having a very good QB but I can't remember his name.
Haddix

Wasn't there a Creech somewhere that was good?
Jeremy Skidmore
NEXT Wrote:Haddix

Wasn't there a Creech somewhere that was good?

Eddie Creech at Cumberland. He was heckuva quarterback.
Blake Bowling of Middlesboro walk on at UK.
Trevor Hoskins of Middlesboro plays at EKU.
I dont know about the mountains but the last 10 years in pike county Matt Branham of pikeville was very good, Jonathan Wright from belfry was good, Pike Central i think had a good qb couple years ago, and the Johnson boy from Valley had a very good arm i think he graduated a couple years ago
ricky bowling
lwc Wrote:Last 10 years means that Tim Couch can't be in this list. Without him then I would say Justin Haddix, Aaron Anderkin (led his team to 2 straight State Championship games), the guy at Clay County, Holland Jr., I seem to remember PCC or Hazard having a very good QB but I can't remember his name.

Zach Lewis from Clay
I agree on the others. I also liked the Banks kid from Letcher, he was more of a runner.
Wouldn't the good one from PCC or Hazard be Holland Jr.
Zack Lewis, Clay County
Ricky Bowing, South Laurel
Shawnta Zackery, Bell County
Charley Banks, Letcher Central

just to name a few
Justin Haddix.....hands down
BellCoBobcats09 Wrote:Blake Bowling of Middlesboro walk on at UK.
Trevor Hoskins of Middlesboro plays at EKU.

Trevor Hoskins had 3,808 yards and 38 TD's in 2 seasons. (25 games).

I would like to put a Bell Co QB on this list but Bell Co is more of a running team. Here are a couple recent QB's from Bell Co:
Shawnta Zachery 1,515 yards 22 TD's in 14 games. State Championship ring.
Kyle Nelson 3,713 yards 37 TD's in 34 games.
lwc Wrote:Last 10 years means that Tim Couch can't be in this list. Without him then I would say Justin Haddix, Aaron Anderkin (led his team to 2 straight State Championship games), the guy at Clay County, Holland Jr., I seem to remember PCC or Hazard having a very good QB but I can't remember his name.

Tim Neece broke some records while @ PCC. For Hazard, Durrell Olinger and the Sizemore kid were also impressive.
Justin Haddix hands down. He lead Breathitt to a state championship beating Corbin something like 52-0. One of the biggest, if not the biggest scoring difference in a state championship game.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] [COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="5"]
That Pretty Much Sums It Up.....
[/SIZE][/COLOR]
I think the top three are Lewis from Clay, Holland Jr. from PC, and Haddix from Breathitt.
I'll take Holland Jr. from PCC over anyone, he's the most overratted basketball player In the history of the mountains but his football talent was off the radar, he played a year at Wake and then finished and stared at EKU. Haddix and Sizemore were bigtime QB's as well. I also like Joey Willis Personally from Prestonsburg. He was very underated and was sometimes overshadowed by all the talent on those Pburg teams from the early 00's.
1. Justin Haddix- Breathitt, simply the best over the past decade. Deadly passing or running.
2. Clint Cashen- Corbin, 4 year starter and huge numbers
3. Zack Lewis-Clay County, Huge passing numbers against weak competition
4. Ricky Bowling- South Laurel, See above except his team underachieved despite havng more talent surrounding him
5. Charlie Banks- LCC, Maybe the best leader of the group, dual threat
6. Al Holland Jr- PCC, Stats won't showcase how talented he was
7. Tyler Olinger- Hazard, Monster numbers as a dual threat, weak competition
8. Jeremy Skidmore- Middlesboro, Best M-boro QB by far
9. Dontae Wright- Lawrence County, Best option QB.
10. Andrew Elkins- Belfry, 2nd best option QB and maybe the most winningest QB of the decade
david rattlife=east ridge
fan first Wrote:I think the top three are Lewis from Clay, Holland Jr. from PC, and Haddix from Breathitt.

How can you put Lewis and Holland Jr. ahead of Haddix. Yes both were great players and both put up big numbers but they accomplished nothing else. They didn't win big games or lead their teams to a state championship. So therefore they can't possibly be listed ahead of Haddix by any means.
Cat Daddy Wrote:How can you put Lewis and Holland Jr. ahead of Haddix. Yes both were great players and both put up big numbers but they accomplished nothing else. They didn't win big games or lead their teams to a state championship. So therefore they can't possibly be listed ahead of Haddix by any means.
I should have put in know particular order catdaddy. Anyway, these are the top three IMO.
Haddix won a state championship and had a good college career. Great runner and passer. Dual threat QB who;s deep pass was a thing of beauty.
Holland had a teriffic career at EKU. Tough leader with linebacker mentality.
Lewis records speak for themselves. The excitement and attention he brought to Clay's program is imeasurable.
I'll throw Daniel Pugh in there as 9 or 10.
Haddix also had much better talent around him than Holland and Sizemore. Breathitt had state championship talent while the others did not. I did this list a year ago starting with the 1998 season which was my first in the mountains. This was *before* the 2008 season.

Top 10 Quarterbacks
1. Neil Warren - South Laurel
2. Justin Haddix - Breathitt Co.
3. Jeremy Skidmore - Middlesboro
4. Cole Draughn - Pulaski Co.
5. Al Holland Jr. - Perry Central
6. Kyle Moore - Breathitt Co.
7. Allen Sperry - Breathitt Co.
8. Matt Branham - Pikeville
9. Steve Sizemore - Hazard
10. Andy Greer - Williamsburg
Haddix--state title, good college carreer
Holland-OVC offensive POY in 07, OVC POY 08
Sizemore- Will to win
Banks-79 TD's in 2 years 40 passing,39 rushing
Lewis- passing#'s speak for themselves
*Note-- these ratings are based on what I saw and the games I attended. I would have loved to seen some of the others listed play