Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
KHSAA investigated by KY Legislature - IT'S ABOUT TIME!
The KY State Legislature has began an investigation into the Kentucky High School Athletic Association (KHSAA) due to the associations transfer rule. In several cases across the commonwealth there have been players declared ineligible by the KHSAA upon their transfer to another school. However when the district judge of the county in which the student is attending school declares that student eligible overturning the KHSAA decision, the association told school officials that the school would be penalized if they were to follow the judges ruling (forfeited games, etc.) - acts that KY legislators say make KHSAA acting "Above the Law". They believe by doing this, the KHSAA is violating the Ky state Constitution. Examples of this have occurred across the state, one recent being in Knott Co.

For the actual story on this topic, and not my condensed version, see the link below:
http://www.kentucky.com/176/story/793654.html

IT'S ABOUT TIME!!!!! :letsparty

What are your opinions?
Its About Time!!!!! something needed to be done!!!!
My opinion is that, if the KHSAA rules a transfer ineligible by KHSAA rules, the county's judge shouldn't be able to override them. It looks like it is the local judge overstepping his bounds.
TheRealVille Wrote:My opinion is that, if the KHSAA rules a transfer ineligible by KHSAA rules, the county's judge shouldn't be able to override them. It looks like it is the local judge overstepping his bounds.

I think that KHSAA oversteps its own self sometimes.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[YOUTUBE="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y2Ezx8SnN0"][/YOUTUBE]
TheRealVille Wrote:My opinion is that, if the KHSAA rules a transfer ineligible by KHSAA rules, the county's judge shouldn't be able to override them. It looks like it is the local judge overstepping his bounds.

So are you saying that a state association should have more power than an established court of the judicial branch of government when it comes to a ruling??????
PATS2011 Wrote:So are you saying that a state association should have more power than an established court of the judicial branch of government when it comes to a ruling??????
On matters that the KHSAA controls, yes. The rules of the KHSAA about transferring should be enforced, and a county court shouldn't be able to overturn the state rules about transfers. The rules are established to govern transfer violations. Why have transfer rules if they can get overturned, if there is rule violations? Batpuff is right though, they overstep themselves sometimes.
:rockon:From a person who hath been screwed by the KHSAA.
Panther Thunder Wrote::rockon:From a person who hath been screwed by the KHSAA.

I'm sure there is a few people who are loving this.:lmao:
They need to think about the kids, and stick to rules word for word.
If whatever the situtation is, is a violation of ANY law within the state constitution or United States Constitution, KHSAA should have NO say so what so ever. A violation of a persons rights is exactly that... a violation!!!

Kudo's for investigating them..... IMHO, it's long overdue!!!

If you need assistance feel free to e-mail me at:
[email=phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com]phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com[/email]
cougarpride08 Wrote:They need to think about the kids, and stick to rules word for word.

Yep! :Thumbs:
phs1986 Wrote:If whatever the situtation is, is a violation of ANY law within the state constitution or United States Constitution, KHSAA should have NO say so what so ever. A violation of a persons rights is exactly that... a violation!!!

Kudo's for investigating them..... IMHO, it's long overdue!!!
I don't imagine the state or United Sates constitutions have any language about school sports transfer eligibility. I think that the KHSAA's rules of transfers should be followed, like someone above said, word for word. The county courts are just overturning the KHSAA's decisions so their team can have these high quality transfers. I though, do think the KHSAA needs some investigations on how they sometimes allow some to play, and some not, with the same transfer reasons.
So let's let the Govenrnment now step in and control the NCAA, MLB, NFL, NBA. Let everythime that someone feels wronged run to the Government to "Bail Them Out"......
Stardust that has been happening forever....SSI, medical cards, now sports must be slow in Frankfort
58fan Wrote:Stardust that has been happening forever....SSI, medical cards, now sports must be slow in Frankfort

:Thumbs: lol, you are probably right!
TheRealVille Wrote:I don't imagine the state or United Sates constitutions have any language about school sports transfer eligibility. I think that the KHSAA's rules of transfers should be followed, like someone above said, word for word. The county courts are just overturning the KHSAA's decisions so their team can have these high quality transfers. I though, do think the KHSAA needs some investigations on how they sometimes allow some to play, and some not, with the same transfer reasons.

But no association is more powerful than a court. If a case is taken to court whatever it may pertain to, no association or business should have any type of jurisdiction over the courts ruling. It clearly violates KY's (an the nation's) Constitution.

It's like a Judge saying: John Doe is hereby found innocent of theft from his job. Then a company comes in and says "No we say he is guilty and if he goes by your ruling we will have him fired from his job."

Does that seem right to you? because its the same thing thats happening to the youth of Kentucky.
I'm just saying that if a persons rights (constitutional) are violated then a court system has every right to come in and overturn a KHSAA ruling. They should have been investigated a long time ago!!

[quote=Mr.Kimball]I'm just saying that if a persons rights (constitutional) are violated then a court system has every right to come in and overturn a KHSAA ruling. They should have been investigated a long time ago!!

I can agree with the gist of your point, but what Constituional rights violations are we talking about? Sports is a privelage, not a right. A student can attend any school that they want, but to play a sport is a privelage, and rules must be in place in order to keep players, parents and coaches in check. I completely agree with the rules for sitting, whether it be in HS or college.
Stardust Wrote:A student can attend any school that they want, .

Not in Perry County.
PATS2011 Wrote:But no association is more powerful than a court. If a case is taken to court whatever it may pertain to, no association or business should have any type of jurisdiction over the courts ruling. It clearly violates KY's (an the nation's) Constitution.

It's like a Judge saying: John Doe is hereby found innocent of theft from his job. Then a company comes in and says "No we say he is guilty and if he goes by your ruling we will have him fired from his job."

Does that seem right to you? because its the same thing thats happening to the youth of Kentucky.
OK, :eyeroll: , it's obvious you don't have a clue about transfer violations.
Stardust Wrote:I can agree with the gist of your point, but what Constituional rights violations are we talking about? Sports is a privelage, not a right. A student can attend any school that they want, but to play a sport is a privelage, and rules must be in place in order to keep players, parents and coaches in check. I completely agree with the rules for sitting, whether it be in HS or college.
This is the way that I view it. It is a privileged to play sports and be a member of the KHSAA. If the student doesn't like their decision then tough, they are there to get an education anyway (then again that brings up the issue of transfering for a better education and not necessaraly sports)

And if the school doesn't like the decision then let them drop out of the KHSAA and play by their own rules.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Blue-N-Gold Wrote:Not in Perry County.

Not sure what you mean? A student can attend school in another district, but will have to pay a tuition. It's also based on the number of available spots for out of District students that school has available. This has ZERO to do with KHSAA. KHSAA only regulates athletics. KHSAA has specific rules regarding athletics and District jumping, which is 100% aappropriate and back to my point earlier, playing sports is a privelage, not a right. Thus, the state has no jurisdiction for a student not complying with this KHSAA rule. If the student wants to attend an out of District school for educational purposes, not sports, KHSAA would not be involved.
Beef Wrote:This is the way that I view it. It is a privileged to play sports and be a member of the KHSAA. If the student doesn't like their decision then tough, they are there to get an education anyway (then again that brings up the issue of transfering for a better education and not necessaraly sports)

And if the school doesn't like the decision then let them drop out of the KHSAA and play by their own rules.

Excellent post :Thumbs:
Stardust Wrote:Not sure what you mean? A student can attend school in another district, but will have to pay a tuition. It's also based on the number of available spots for out of District students that school has available. This has ZERO to do with KHSAA. KHSAA only regulates athletics. KHSAA has specific rules regarding athletics and District jumping, which is 100% aappropriate and back to my point earlier, playing sports is a privelage, not a right. Thus, the state has no jurisdiction for a student not complying with this KHSAA rule. If the student wants to attend an out of District school for educational purposes, not sports, KHSAA would not be involved.
:Thumbs:
Bottom line KHSAA sucks and can't not properly govern HS athletics. It does not stick to the same rules to every school. Their is NOT A LEVEL PLAYING FIELD WITH KHSAA IN CHARGE.
Basically, what some of you are saying that KHSAA is above the law? IMHO, there is nothing within our fine county that should be considered with so much power that they are deemed untouchable. KHSAA being investigated is not a bad thing... BUT, they aren't the almighty power of sports in KY. They should be made answer for any wrong doing they have committed themselves as they make decisions daily concerning people's lives. Whose to say they have been wrong on any or right on any decisions they have made? The kids they have affected? Schools? Parents? Maybe someone found a "loophole" somewhere within the bi-laws.... I guess we'll find out won't we???

TheRealVille Wrote:OK, :eyeroll: , it's obvious you don't have a clue about transfer violations.

Actually I do, I'm just providing an example. and the Constitutional violation the KHSAA is accused of is the attempt to overpower a court ruling.

If the courts have to get involved, they are the supreme power, not a state association and therefore should have no power to do anything about it. That's what the government is trying to keep from happening.

Bottom line is when High School sports has to come to this, then there is something bad wrong and it needs to be taken care of. We are a sad state when it comes to school sports.
Stardust Wrote:[quote=Mr.Kimball]I'm just saying that if a persons rights (constitutional) are violated then a court system has every right to come in and overturn a KHSAA ruling. They should have been investigated a long time ago!!

I can agree with the gist of your point, but what Constituional rights violations are we talking about? Sports is a privelage, not a right. A student can attend any school that they want, but to play a sport is a privelage, and rules must be in place in order to keep players, parents and coaches in check. I completely agree with the rules for sitting, whether it be in HS or college.
Noticed that my post was deleted when I was jokingly asking about when those from the schools in the local area were basicly in control of the KHSAA, which they were for many years. I made mention that I was only kidding when I posted it. Surely no one was offended, by a statement made only in jest.
William Muney Wrote:Bottom line KHSAA sucks and can't not properly govern HS athletics. It does not stick to the same rules to every school. Their is NOT A LEVEL PLAYING FIELD WITH KHSAA IN CHARGE.

What would be a specific example of something unfair that they have done? I'm not defending, just curious. Many have cited wrong doing, but what was the wrong doing? Otherwise it is pure conjecture.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:[quote=Stardust]
Noticed that my post was deleted when I was jokingly asking about when those from the schools in the local area were basicly in control of the KHSAA, which they were for many years. I made mention that I was only kidding when I posted it. Surely no one was offended, by a statement made only in jest.

Your post hurt my feelings.:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: joking