Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Its Almost Turkey Season
It is only a mouth away til turkey season do any of you hunt. I love it. I didn't get to kill one last season but the season before that i killed one with 2 beards and it was big so i got it mounted
I'm definantly excited for the season to start!!!
One of my favorite times of the year.

There is no better relaxation than being out in the spring woods listening to owls hooting, songbirds singing, and turkeys gobbling.

Season in Kentucky starts on April 18th and ends on May 10th.

I love it!
To be honest I almost love turkey hunting as much as I love deer hunting. I killed 1 last year with 3 beards and so did my dad. Mine out weight his by 1 pound so I guess I got the better of him. We both got ours mounted on a stump a strutting but mine, I got him a gobbling. Where does everyone hunt?
Name everyone favorite places to hunt and why
You kill'em, I'll eat'em
I like hunting down in Powell County we got some real big gobblers in our fields down there and its always a blast in the spring weather to have a little fun.
this time of the year i get real relaxed!!!
I enjoy hunting in Knott, Magoffin, Martin, and Breathitt Counties. These counties have some of the best longbeard hunting I've experienced.
I hunt around my house...and in my little community and always see and kill turkey..there are a lot of people around me that huts so it makes it a bit more challenging to hunt these gobblers
^ I like an isolated place to myself.

Makes me feel a lot better about my chances.
love to turkey hunt already been checking out my calls, let a big one get away last year dang hens knocked me.
rallo316 Wrote:love to turkey hunt already been checking out my calls, let a big one get away last year dang hens knocked me.

This happened to me last year but i got another chance and didnt take my time lol
Droped him as soon as i saw him!
I do all my hunting in Breathitt and Perry county. I want to say that if you all decide to get something mounted, go to pan bowl taxidermist down in jackson, kentucky. He does all my families mounts and does a wonderful job.
Crazy Horse Wrote:I do all my hunting in Breathitt and Perry county. I want to say that if you all decide to get something mounted, go to pan bowl taxidermist down in jackson, kentucky. He does all my families mounts and does a wonderful job.

Breathitt County has some nice turkey hunting.:Thumbs:
outdoorsman43 Wrote:Breathitt County has some nice turkey hunting.:Thumbs:

Has nice evrything.
Crazy Horse Wrote:Has nice evrything.

Haven't deer hunted over there. Have you?
Crazy Horse Wrote:I do all my hunting in Breathitt and Perry county. I want to say that if you all decide to get something mounted, go to pan bowl taxidermist down in jackson, kentucky. He does all my families mounts and does a wonderful job.
First time deer hunting in Breathitt County is took about 10 steps out of the truck and killed a rattle snake it was 37in long aint been back since
outdoorsman43 Wrote:Haven't deer hunted over there. Have you?

My entire family does. We have killed 1 120 class, two 130 class, two 140 class, and found a 16 pointer dead up there about a mid 150 class. Now we only throphy hunt. 160 or better.
Crazy Horse Wrote:My entire family does. We have killed 1 120 class, two 130 class, two 140 class, and found a 16 pointer dead up there about a mid 150 class. Now we only throphy hunt. 160 or better.

Wow, that's impressive! I usually deer hunt in Martin and Knott Counties. I trophy hunt myself, 100 class or better. :biggrin:
outdoorsman43 Wrote:Wow, that's impressive! I usually deer hunt in Martin and Knott Counties. I trophy hunt myself, 100 class or better. :biggrin:
I killed a 135 class 9 pointer last year and am now aiming my sites on a 140 or better.
Crazy Horse Wrote:I killed a 135 class 9 pointer last year and am now aiming my sites on a 140 or better.

When they get that big, they are hard to hunt.
Exactly 6 weeks until turkey season!:biggrin:
i killed a 130 class 8 pointer last year in Powell County
BigJ Wrote:First time deer hunting in Breathitt County is took about 10 steps out of the truck and killed a rattle snake it was 37in long aint been back since

lmao...have been hunting there for the last 6 years and have not seen one.
I have a pack of about 35 turkeys right behind my house. They come down off the moutain and into the fields to feed everynow and then. For the last couple weeks, every morning that i have went out they have all been roosting on the trees right behind my house on the creek bank. The days they are not roosting you can hear them gobble back in forth in the mornings. Now it is too dark to see them when i get up, but you can still hear them.
Can't wait!!!! Better start practicing the mouth call.
Legacy 6o6 Wrote:Can't wait!!!! Better start practicing the mouth call.

VERY TRUE!!!
I can't wait, I have already made my natural blind and dome my scouting, now I just have to fight the urge to hunt them rascals and wait.
hs athletics fan Wrote:I can't wait, I have already made my natural blind and dome my scouting, now I just have to fight the urge to hunt them rascals and wait.

Try the Run 'n' Gun style of Turkey Hunting. I believe you will find this more enjoyable.:Thumbs:
outdoorsman43 Wrote:Try the Run 'n' Gun style of Turkey Hunting. I believe you will find this more enjoyable.:Thumbs:

It depends what place you are hunting in, but if you do have the right spot for run'n and gun'n I agree it is more fun.