Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
5A Playoff Matchups
I couldn't find any playoff brackets online yet so I figured out what the matchups are on my own. I think these should be correct, but please correct me if you know of one of the matchups to be wrong. When tiebreakers come into play, it can get a little complicated. :-)

Here are the 5A games in the order as they would be if I could draw a bracket on here. I put the region, district, and seeding of each team in front of them (ex: R1-D1-1 is region 1, district 1, seed 1). The home teams for round 1 are in all CAPS. Remember as you work your way through the bracket that the EVEN district gets home field advantage in games between districts if the seeds are the same. Also, the EVEN region gets home field advantage in games between regions since this is 2008, an even year.

TOP HALF OF BRACKET
-----------------------------

R1-D2-4 Barren County
R1-D1-1 CHRISTIAN COUNTY

R1-D1-3 Hopkinsville
R1-D2-2 GRAYSON COUNTY

R1-D2-3 Warren Central
R1-D1-2 OWENSBORO

R1-D1-4 Ohio County
R1-D2-1 BOWLING GREEN

R2-D4-4 Jeffersontown
R2-D3-1 DOSS

R2-D3-3 Iroquois
R2-D4-2 ANDERSON COUNTY

R2-D4-3 Grant County
R2-D3-2 JOHN HARDIN

R2-D3-4 Waggener
R2-D4-1 OLDHAM COUNTY

BOTTOM HALF OF BRACKET
----------------------------------

R3-D6-4 Bryan Station
R3-D5-1 HIGHLANDS

R3-D5-3 Dixie Heights
R3-D6-2 ASHLAND

R3-D6-3 Woodford County
R3-D5-2 COVINGTON CATHOLIC

R3-D5-4 Holmes
R3-D6-1 JOHNSON CENTRAL

R4-D8-4 Perry County Central
R4-D7-1 MERCER COUNTY

R4-D7-3 Southwestern
R4-D8-2 LETCHER COUNTY CENTRAL

R4-D8-3 Clay County
R4-D7-2 PULASKI COUNTY

R4-D7-4 South Laurel
R4-D8-1 WHITLEY COUNTY
Bottom Half

Highlands vs Whitley
i look for southwestern to make some noise
Everyone is gonna be shocked if JC can pull the upset of the century on Highlands. After establishing somewhat of a passing game Friday, they could make their team more balanced than just rushing based. And you know with JC's rushing and then having established a passing game makes them a lot more dangerous.
ryandamaste5 Wrote:Everyone is gonna be shocked if JC can pull the upset of the century on Highlands. After establishing somewhat of a passing game Friday, they could make their team more balanced than just rushing based. And you know with JC's rushing and then having established a passing game makes them a lot more dangerous.

I look for JC to make it to Highlands, but I don't think it will really matter what JC throws at Highlands. But we won't know until the game is played. Would like to see JC beat Highlands, but just don't see it happening.
EKY Sportster Wrote:I look for JC to make it to Highlands, but I don't think it will really matter what JC throws at Highlands. But we won't know until the game is played. Would like to see JC beat Highlands, but just don't see it happening.

I would simply love to see this game as a big Win for JC. That would just make my year, while my tear ducts could possibly disintegrate.
ryandamaste5 Wrote:Everyone is gonna be shocked if JC can pull the upset of the century on Highlands. After establishing somewhat of a passing game Friday, they could make their team more balanced than just rushing based. And you know with JC's rushing and then having established a passing game makes them a lot more dangerous.

There is no way JC can beat Highlands. JC can't beat Belfry, and Belfry is nothing to Highlands. I am not putting Belfry down. But the is what it is. I like Belfry winning 3A
Honestly, if the Belfry game were to be played over, JC could beat them. It is a 50/50 chance between the two best teams in the mountains.
Possible 2nd round game with Bowling Green who will be 9-2 playing Owensboro who will be 10-1!! Where will this game be played if it happens and who will win? Thoughts?
i see jc beating holmes and making to highlands but highlands will win big. and then jc can say see ya to coach Jim matney.

Little late in the season to establish a passing game don't ya think.Rolleyes
I think the passing has always been there...just never used
cj2561 Wrote:There is no way JC can beat Highlands. JC can't beat Belfry, and Belfry is nothing to Highlands. I am not putting Belfry down. But the is what it is. I like Belfry winning 3A

There was no way JC was gonna beat Hazard either...so you thought. Not saying JC will beat Highlands...but there is a chance..that's why we play right? Either way...It's been one heck of a ride Eagles...I'm proud of ya.
Eagle_Fan442 Wrote:I think the passing has always been there...just never used

From what I've been told, I agree with you. It's my understanding that JC works on the pass a whole lot in practice, but hasn't shown it in games because Matney wanted to use it as an element of surprise in a big game. It's my guess that he didn't want to use it against Belfry but had to in an effort to win. I'd guess he'd have preferred to save the surprise for Highlands if the two teams match up. Some coaches like to do stuff like that; others like to show a little bit of everything to force the opposition to spend precious time preparing for everything.
You will not suprise Highlands. They have more scouts in the bushes than the New England Patriots have with cameras.Big Grin Big Grin Smile
charlie22 Wrote:From what I've been told, I agree with you. It's my understanding that JC works on the pass a whole lot in practice, but hasn't shown it in games because Matney wanted to use it as an element of surprise in a big game. It's my guess that he didn't want to use it against Belfry but had to in an effort to win. I'd guess he'd have preferred to save the surprise for Highlands if the two teams match up. Some coaches like to do stuff like that; others like to show a little bit of everything to force the opposition to spend precious time preparing for everything.

I totally agree with you. JC has not passed because they have not had too. They have a legit first team all state reciever in Welch and Jermy Dillion is an outstanding reciever. Nathan Dillion and Richardson can catch the ball as well. JK is an good QB, running back and reciever and Dillion is a seasoned QB who can through the ball better than most people think. Spread these athelets out and I think JC's passing game could surprise alot of people and it would loosen up the defenses to make the run more effective.

I know alot of people slam Matney here, but he is a very good coach and knows the game. Highlands will be the biggest test JC has ever had, but Matney will have the Eaglaes ready. As we learned last week with Belfry, we have to play one game at a time and get to Highland first.
cougars by 2 td's! watch and see everyone. they are mentally and physicaly ready for this game 2nite all the cougar coaching staff has done nothing but prepare these boys for this game all week long at practice. so i think the cougars will be the more dominate team!
[quote=Snare43]Bottom Half

Highlands vs Whitley[/Q i see highlands getting upset this year
clay by a field goal!
batter08 Wrote:i see jc beating holmes and making to highlands but highlands will win big. and then jc can say see ya to coach Jim matney.
highlands my be talented but think about how talented jc is 2 dont over look them. that will be highlands's downfall if they over look jc