Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Public and Private Schools
Who thinks they should have private and public schools in there own brackets durin the state championships? I mean come on its always private schools winning it.
Thats why there is six classes now in the State of Kentucky!
RUSSELL RED DEVILS
Wish it had been that way in 06! lol
Well, not really. There was a team that merged the athletics with another high school and the actual school kids were not consolidated as of yet. The numbers from one of the two schools made them a 2A school, which in fact with the two schools combined they are now a 5A school. Almost doesn't count though. Time has healed some of the wounds.
RUSSELL RED DEVILS
In 6A a private school will win it ever year. But the other classes there hasn't been that many private school that won state.
cj2561 Wrote:In 6A a private school will win it ever year. But the other classes there hasn't been that many private school that won state.

Newport Central Catholic and Lexington Catholic have had alot of success winning titles.

Owensboro Catholic (2 State Runner-Ups), Lexington Christian (1 State Runner-up), Desales, and Lou. Holy Cross have all made deep playoff runs but never won a title in the past ten years or so.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Newport Central Catholic and Lexington Catholic have had alot of success winning titles.

Owensboro Catholic (2 State Runner-Ups), Lexington Christian (1 State Runner-up), Desales, and Lou. Holy Cross have all made deep playoff runs but never won a title in the past ten years or so.

Runner-up is just the first place loser. Lex Cath only won 1 state title in football. But look at them this year. They are down big time (losing 32 SR from last year team). But over the years there hasn't been that many private school that won the state title in football ( other then 6A). So way should they break them up for. What i am trying to say.
cj2561 Wrote:Runner-up is just the first place loser. Lex Cath only won 1 state title in football. But look at them this year. They are down big time (losing 32 SR from last year team). But over the years there hasn't been that many private school that won the state title in football ( other then 6A). So way should they break them up for. What i am trying to say.

They actually have 2 state titles in football (2005, 2007).
http://www.lexingtoncatholic.com/sports/...otball.htm
Private schools have many advantages. It is not fair for public schools to have to compete against those schools. Only problem is the private control too many purse strings and political ties for us public schools to do anything. Imagine the out-cry and screams if the publics had the advatages.

The 6 class system was meant to be a epeasement for the public schools when in reality it only set the stage for 6 private schools wining instead of 4.

Hopefully some of Public schools will continue to bust up the party!!!!
Bobcat_Dad Wrote:Private schools have many advantages. It is not fair for public schools to have to compete against those schools. Only problem is the private control too many purse strings and political ties for us public schools to do anything. Imagine the out-cry and screams if the publics had the advatages.

The 6 class system was meant to be a epeasement for the public schools when in reality it only set the stage for 6 private schools wining instead of 4.

Hopefully some of Public schools will continue to bust up the party!!!!

I predict an even split between public and privates in state titles this year. The publics taking it in 1A, 3A, and 5A, and the privates taking it in 2A, 4A, and 6A. I don't have a problem with that. :Thumbs:
"Never" gonna happen!
tradition Wrote:I predict an even split between public and privates in state titles this year. The publics taking it in 1A, 3A, and 5A, and the privates taking it in 2A, 4A, and 6A. I don't have a problem with that. :Thumbs:

Who is your 4A and 5A winners?

I don't like a split considering the ratio between privates and public schools in the state of KY.
Bobcat_Dad Wrote:Who is your 4A and 5A winners?

I don't like a split considering the ratio between privates and public schools in the state of KY.

Lex Cath. 4A, Highlands, Bowling Green, or John Hardin in 5A.

It could be Bell in 4A , which would even better my argument.
I like Boyle County in 4A.
Panther Thunder Wrote:I like Boyle County in 4A.

:Thumbs: Your right, thier in the running also.

I haven't seen Bell or Boyle but I'm sure they will make a huge showing in the playoffs.
jgrubby Wrote:Well, not really. There was a team that merged the athletics with another high school and the actual school kids were not consolidated as of yet. The numbers from one of the two schools made them a 2A school, which in fact with the two schools combined they are now a 5A school. Almost doesn't count though. Time has healed some of the wounds.

i must say, coming from a raceland back ground, until the Mercer CO state championship game i could careless about russell football. (didn't boo them lol, yet still didn't cheer them on...just didn't care) after that i am an avid supporter, till they play raceland. but i pull for them and wish them the best all that i can. they were huge underdogs in that game. if not for the wind, i think they win that game.
tradition Wrote::Thumbs: Your right, thier in the running also.

I haven't seen Bell or Boyle but I'm sure they will make a huge showing in the playoffs.

what about your beechwood?danville?mayfield?boyle county? all public schools
The main reason you will never have a public/private split in this state is because there is not enough private schools to initiate their own playoff. Even under the 4-class system this was true. There are only a few private schools, relatively speaking, in this state. It is just that Trinity and St.X have been dominant for so long and this created the impression that private schools dominated. As a matter of fact, public schools have held their own over the years and have a bunch of state titles. If you ever split public and private, who would T and X play for a championship? If I counted correctly, there are less than 15 private schools divided among 6 classes. How would you do a public/private playoff? If you noticed with the roatating of the districts playing each other, they try to get T and X to meet before the state finals. Male beat X in 06 and then last year the two big boys met for the title.
1A Beechwood
2A FT Campbell
3A Central
4A Bell
5A Highlands
6A St. X

my honest predictions
It's not a private vs. public problem.

It's an urban vs. rural problem.

For example, in 5A, Highlands has the same advantage that St. X and Trinity have in 6A. When you can obtain your players from across the Greater Cincinnati Metro, that's a little different from, say, the Greater Paintsville Metro area that Johnson Central has to draw from. That's why Highlands and CovCath will dominate 5A, year in and year out.

It doesn't matter if the school is public or private. Many of the publics have the same advantage. Just being a private school doesn't unfairly tilt the playing field. You also need to look at where the school is. There are a lot of small private schools that are just as awful as the public schools. Until we actually force EVERY school to have a district and honor it, our playing field will never be will.

But perhaps to realize that the playing fields will ALWAYS be unfair, that you will ALWAYS have to work harder to achieve and be taken seriously if you come from a rural area instead of a big cityl...just like when they leave Kentucky, they will ALWAYS be perceived to be inferior because of their birth state until they prove otherwise...that might be the most valuable lesson kids in rural areas get from athletics, and hopefully they will take that lesson as motivation and not discouragement.
mrfootball03 Wrote:1A Beechwood
2A FT Campbell
3A Central
4A Bell
5A Highlands
6A St. X

my honest predictions

Is Fort Campbell considered public or private
Pigskinman53 Wrote:Is Fort Campbell considered public or private
Public... they are an independent though.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Public... they are an independent though.

But doesn't half of their campus lie in Tennesse?
Pigskinman53 Wrote:But doesn't half of their campus lie in Tennesse?
All depends on the mailbox brother.
RUSSELL RED DEVILS