Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Johnson Central and Paintsville School Consolidation
The Apple Bowl needs not be any more and the 2 schools for now ought to play different teams on the apple bowl instead. Then if the 2 schools were to consolidate then they could compete with any school in the state in any sport.

Do you guys agree or disagree?

I am interested in reasons that this could or should not happen and don't understand why it has not.

YOUR INPUT...
Should This Happen Give Your Answer Yes Or No Thanks
brown_ind1977 Wrote:The Apple Bowl needs not be any more and the 2 schools for now ought to play different teams on the apple bowl instead. Then if the 2 schools were to consolidate then they could compete with any school in the state in any sport.

Do you guys agree or disagree?

I am interested in reasons that this could or should not happen and don't understand why it has not.

YOUR INPUT...

I agree that athletics would be VERY competitive state wide. But, what I've seen in the paper and documents released by KDE the academics would suffer.
JMO

So, NO I do not think they should consolidate.
SamuelAdams Wrote:I agree that athletics would be VERY competitive state wide. But, what I've seen in the paper and documents released by KDE the academics would suffer.
JMO

So, NO I do not think they should consolidate.

Agreed...

It shouldn't be forgotten that high school's primary mission is academics. Though Central is a fine high school (rated highly on a regional basis) and has made huge strides in their instruction quality, Paintsville has been a highly ranked school statewide for many years.

I believe things are fine as they are...

:Thumbs:
oneijoe Wrote:Agreed...

It shouldn't be forgotten that high school's primary mission is academics. Though Central is a fine high school (rated highly on a regional basis) and has made huge strides in their instruction quality, Paintsville has been a highly ranked school statewide for many years.

I believe things are fine as they are...

:Thumbs:

While I will agree with you that things are fine as they are, I have to disagree that academics would suffer. There isn't that much difference between the two - especially after you take into consideration the make-up of the students in the county. Both schools have great teachers. Academics would not suffer.

But that's really beside the point - with Paintsville spending all that money on their proposed cafeteria. Consolidation isn't going to happen.
Each school exists quite well on its own...why mess up a good thing? I'll go you one better---each school would not be as good academically or athletically without the other. A little competition is a good thing!
Maybe after these two teams get together then Kentucky and Louisville can join forces. Then maybe Florida St. and Miami...and then the Red Sox and Yankees!!

This is a terrible thread, two schools like this can't consolidate!! Get real!!!
bball fan Wrote:Maybe after these two teams get together then Kentucky and Louisville can join forces. Then maybe Florida St. and Miami...and then the Red Sox and Yankees!!

This is a terrible thread, two schools like this can't consolidate!! Get real!!!
That isn't the point of consolidation...School systems that consolidate save Kentucky tax payers monies that fund them, sports has no impact on that. Everyone has a right to ask or make a statement. Don't be so harsh....
RUSSELL RED DEVILS
bball fan Wrote:Maybe after these two teams get together then Kentucky and Louisville can join forces. Then maybe Florida St. and Miami...and then the Red Sox and Yankees!!

Yeah, that's what they said when Harrodsburg and Mercer County consolidated. Perhaps you should "get real". It is very possible.
transplanttiger Wrote:Each school exists quite well on its own...why mess up a good thing? I'll go you one better---each school would not be as good academically or athletically without the other. A little competition is a good thing!

I cant think of one other thing that you have ever typed that I thought was not biased, but I will agree with you somewhat in this. I think that academics WOULD NOT suffer. You could weed out the dead weight teachers from each system. Actually the overall academic prowless in the county schools may be somewhat better than that of the city schools right now. I think that eventually after a few years that athletic superiority would decline. With less over all positions available to compete for in each respective sport, interest has a way of declining among the student population. Bottom line is, leave things the way they are. It gives more kids an opportunity to participate.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:I cant think of one other thing that you have ever typed that I thought was not biased, but I will agree with you somewhat in this. I think that academics WOULD NOT suffer. You could weed out the dead weight teachers from each system. Actually the overall academic prowless in the county schools may be somewhat better than that of the city schools right now. I think that eventually after a few years that athletic superiority would decline. With less over all positions available to compete for in each respective sport, interest has a way of declining among the student population. Bottom line is, leave things the way they are. It gives more kids an opportunity to participate.

Well my goodness...we actually agree on something..LOL. I wonder if the world will quit spinning or if lightening will strike?
Look, all I'm saying Johnson County is not as big as some of the other counties in Kentucky. For instance North and South Laurel so how do you think that I'm being stupid for even saying that it should happen. If I'm not mistaken JCHS has many national academic championships and Paintsville has great academic program. It could happen if they wanted to.

Mr Kimball has a good point when he said it gives more kids an opportunity to participate. I agree with that, not trying to be bias just think that the two programs as a whole would work.
I say no it shouldn't happen. Paintsville is a very good small school in the classroom and in sports with plenty of support as it is. THis would be in comparison to Hazard going in with Perry Central.
a JC/Paint. consolidation vs a Russell/Raceland consolidation would make for one of the best football games in the state every year.
Probably not a good idea IMO. Theres alot of bad blood that exists between those 2 schools. Im not just talking about a sports rivalry Im talking about just flat out hatred for one another.

That was a terrible post...do you realize that everytime a school consolidates people like you always say they "can't", and it always turns out fine..? If they did they would be phenomonal(sp?) in academics and sports.
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:Probably not a good idea IMO. Theres alot of bad blood that exists between those 2 schools. Im not just talking about a sports rivalry Im talking about just flat out hatred for one another.

So where did this "hatred" you speak of come from in your opinion? I think hatred is too harsh on behalf of most of us, but you do have some extremists who carry it too far - both ways. It's been this way for a loooooooooong time, but I just don't know where or why it started.
If these two schools cosolidated it would be absolute mayham.
vundy33 Wrote:That was a terrible post...do you realize that everytime a school consolidates people like you always say they "can't", and it always turns out fine..? If they did they would be phenomonal(sp?) in academics and sports.

Yeah just look at ER they are about the highest performing school in the world. LOL
BballFan63 Wrote:So where did this "hatred" you speak of come from in your opinion? I think hatred is too harsh on behalf of most of us, but you do have some extremists who carry it too far - both ways. It's been this way for a loooooooooong time, but I just don't know where or why it started.
I dont know where it came from I just know its there.
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:I dont know where it came from I just know its there.

I'll agree it's there in spots among a few extremists, but when it comes right down to it, I still think hatred is too harsh of a word. Off the field, court, whatever the sport, we can still manage to get along.
Disagree...

Paintsville should stay independent and Central should stay public.
SpyDa Wrote:Yeah just look at ER they are about the highest performing school in the world. LOL

It doesn't have anything to do with Elkhorn, Feds Creek, and Millard hating each other its the teachers and faculty, they suck.
"if it ain't broke don't fix it" Both schools are doing well. Paintsville seniors last year averaged 22 on their ACT scores, well above the state average. JCHS has scored well on other test scores as well. I am a Paintsville grad and I do not hate anyone from Central, heck they weren't even my biggest rival.
NO! This must not happen. This is tradition and when you mess with tradition it wont be pretty!