Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The winningest coach in NCAA basketball is...
dunh, dunh, dunh, dunh...

PAT SUMMITT! The coach of the University of Tennessee Lady Vols. She tied Dean Smith's record of 879 on a win against Western Carolina. She then beat Purdue to be the winningest coach of all time. Number 881 came from a win against Texas Tech! She's 881-171 in 31 years!!! Go Pat Summitt!
she will always be considered the winningest coach in womens ncaa basketball...but dont confuse her with dean smith.....she is a womens coach, doesnt even compare to mens side..
he is right... womens ball isnt as competitive. in women's there are only like 4 teams every year who are actually tough.
not to take anythign away from her.. she earned her wins. good job.
that is just tougher , harder to do in the men's league.
Thanks, human.
SHE'S STILL THE WINNINGEST COACH OF ALL TIME! MENS OR WOMENS! I BET SHE COULD LEAD A MENS TEAM TOO! TENNESSEE HAS ASKED HER SEVERAL TIMES TO COACH THE MENS! Guys are such asses and they really don't respect women's sports at all. Why don't you guys swallow your pride and face the fact that a WOMAN is at the top!!!
Its is a great accomplishment Cali but chill out....They have legitimate reasons. Mens basketball is more competitive making it much harder to win and Im sure she could do well coaching men's. But I dont think she compares to Dean Smith, John Wooden, or Adolph Rupp.
i dont have to swallow my pride. i said she did something great. all i am sayin though is u cant compare the 2 sports. when u got a great program in women's basketball, like Tenn does it is easy to win because there is less competition. thats harder to do in men's.
I'm sure you're also a male, youknowwhoibe. Just because it's womens basketball does it make it not as competitive or not as good as mens?
Cali is not as comeptitive....... yet. it is gettin there. in women's there is only a handful of programs that really compete for the title, year in year out... in men's every year there are different teams that have legitimate chances at winning it all.
Womens basketball just isnt as competitive as mens. Connecticut, Tennessee, Duke, Purdue, and few others are the only very competitive. The difference between the favorites and the underdogs is way larger in womans basketball than mens. For example look at all the close first round games, one and two seeds were being played close. Most womens first round games the high seed always wins.
Well the females who actually play basketball think it is very competitive. Do you mean to tell me that you think that womens programs don't work just as hard or harder than mens? If Pat Summitt doesn't compare to Dean Smith and Adolph Rupp then why does the University of Tennessee want her to coach the mens team...oh wait I know why...so they can be at the top of NCAA basketball just like the womens.

Pat Summitt: 881-171 in 31 years (.837) Six NCAA titles, 23 Southeastern Conference tournament and regular season championships, 12 Olympians, 18 Kodak All-Americans named to 30 teams and 61 All-SEC performers. Summitt has led her teams to an incredible 14, 30-plus win seasons (possibly 15 now). In the last 11 years alone, Summitt’s teams have collected nine (possibly ten now) 30-plus-win campaigns! In the 1990s alone, she brought four NCAA titles home (1991-1996-1997-1998). In all of men and women's collegiate basketball history, Summitt trails only UCLA's legendary coach John Wooden for the most NCAA titles. Wooden grabbed 10 titles in 29 years; Summitt has picked up six in 30 complete seasons (including the NCAA’s first back-to-back-to-back women’s titles in 1996, 1997 and 1998) to pass Kentucky's legendary coach, Adolph Rupp. Additionally, Summitt passed Wooden’s NCAA record for Final Four appearances with her 13th in 2002. In 1990, she received the most prestigious award given by the Basketball Hall of Fame, the John Bunn Award. Summitt was the first female to receive the award in the Hall's history. A quick look at Summitt's season finishes tells the story: 19 trips to NCAA and AIAW Final Fours in the last 28 years and 28 consecutive seasons with 20 or more wins. Summitt has led her teams to the Final Four of women's college basketball 19 times in the last 28 years. Thirteen of her last 19 teams have advanced to the Final Four, with the 1987, 1989, 1991, 1996, 1997 and 1998 teams winning the NCAA title. In other national finishes, the Lady Vols have finished second seven times and third six times at the Final Four. International coaching record is 63-4 for a complete coaching record of 944-175.

Dean Smith: 879-254 in 34 years(.776) reaching the final four ten times and winning championships twice.

Adolph Rupp: 876-190 (.822) in 42 years and led Kentucky to four NCAA titles and one NIT title.

*Thanks coachsummitt.com*
Womens basketball right now reminds of the old days of mens college basketball because all the great players go to only a few certain programs. Pat Summit success is in part to a bunch of great players coming to play for her.

Im not saying the girls dont train as hard but with guys the talent on each team is very even making it harder to win. Leading to the need for greater desire to win making it more competitive.

The reason they want Summitt to coach the guys team is because the guy's team is terrible. At least with her they could be pretty good.
Cali...chill out!!...lol....there is no way pat summit could succeed in mens basketball like she has in womens...theres no parrody in the womens game, like vega said only like 4 or 5 teams good each year...
all time leader in womens basketball..but thats all she'll ever be, u cant compare her to rupp, wooden, smith, knight, pitino, lute olsen, izzo, coach k...not even near them
Pat Summitt could dominate mens basketball just like she's dominated womens.
Haha,...good one.... You know how hard it is to dominate in mens basketball? There never seems to be one overly dominant team in mens basketball anymore. Sure she would do well but should wouldnt be getting same quality talent in recruits she would see on the woman side of things.
exactly calli..no way would the star recruits wanna come to a woman coach, itd be hard for them to respect her, she should stay and dominate on the womens side.
this is pointless. Cali u are right, Summit is God
well what Pat has done at UT is simply amazing and she is a great coach...but i dont think she could ever coach a mens b ball team but why would she want to when she is coaching probably the most dominant team in womens...if she stays coaching for a while longer she may reach 1000, but who knows she is still a ways off but i wouldnt be surprised if she did win 100 with what she has already done to that UT team!
"Vincent Vega" Wrote:this is pointless. Cali u are right, Summit is God

Thanks VV, I knew you'd agree. :roll: :lol:
God???
haha
maybe god of UT womens basketball!
He was being sarcastic dirty30. :lol:
haha i know he was i was just saying...lol
Geno will eventually pass her up I think in womens. Just give him some time. Still, womens basketball isnt as competitive as mens.
YKWIB i think u are right about that...
and no it isnt as competitive...
You guys are so funny..Cant you just except that a WOMAN coach is the winningest coach of all time!!!!!!!!!!!!1
I have accepted it but honestly i think it is more hard to win 800 games as a mens b ball coach becasue the competition isnt as high and there arent as many good teams in womens as there are in mens...i mean come on how many games did UCONN win before losing that one time like 50 or 60 some...and really the only teams i knew were any good are LSU and UT and UCONN...take the SEC for example...any team in the mens SEC can beat any team but how often do you see Kentcuky's women team beat UT's women team...never...now all i am trying to say is that the competition isnt there because you know who the best teams are and tahts about the only teams you know about in womens but in mens its open for anyone to be claimed as the best i mean come on there werent many ppl saying Michigan State would be a final 4 team during the season but now look at them...i dont want to take anything away from Pat Summit because i mean 881 wins is an incredible feat for anyone and she is one of the best basketball coaches ever in college basketball, men or women!
No I don't think there are any. So you think it can never happen?
pat summit is not even the best womans coach rite now, geno auremi from uconn will everntually pass her up
"VonWafer_FSU" Wrote:pat summit is not even the best womans coach rite now, geno auremi from uconn will everntually pass her up

Haha...good call but I already said that. But your right.

Pat Summit is the winningest coach in WOMENS basketball not MENS. Let her coach a mens team and she how she does guarantee she wont be as successful. She is a top 20 coach all time, Ill admit that.
"VonWafer_FSU" Wrote:pat summit is not even the best womans coach rite now, geno auremi from uconn will everntually pass her up

lol..Thats a joke!!!!! Auremi is good dont get me wrong, but Summit is better