Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Pikeville 3, Paintsville 1 (8 innings) 15th semifinals
Instant classic.
Great game.

Fugate and Duty were as expected. One bad decision to pitch to Thompson with a 3-0 count and 1st base open and one great swing was the difference. Paintsville May have set a record for runners left on base. Credit Pikeville and Simpkins for finding a way.
[-] The following 1 user Likes 2000PHS's post:
  • BlackcatAlum
(05-22-2023, 11:43 PM)2000PHS Wrote: Great game.

Fugate and Duty were as expected. One bad decision to pitch to Thompson with a 3-0 count and 1st base open and one great swing was the difference. Paintsville May have set a record for runners left on base. Credit Pikeville and Simpkins for finding a way.
Agreed on Thompson. He is the #1 guy in the 15th to not let beat you. But to be fair Duty gave up 1 hit and his runner in the 7th was walked and then a HBP to tie it. Most of Paintsville runners all night were via walks and HBP. Pikeville earned it but yes huge blunder to pitch to Thompson.
(05-23-2023, 12:04 AM)jetpilot Wrote:

Agreed on Thompson. He is the #1 guy in the 15th to not let beat you. But to be fair Duty gave up 1 hit and his runner in the 7th was walked and then a HBP to tie it. Most of Paintsville runners all night were via walks and HBP. Pikeville earned it but yes huge blunder to pitch to Thompson.
I think Pikeville walked 9. Impressive to only give up 1 run doing that.
(05-23-2023, 12:22 AM)2000PHS Wrote:
(05-23-2023, 12:04 AM)jetpilot Wrote:

I think Pikeville walked 9. Impressive to only give up 1 run doing that.
Agreed. Pikeville survived their mistakes and Paintsville didn't survive their mistake with Thompson. Two very good evenly matched teams and it would be another coin toss if they played again tomorrow. It's a cliche but one of those great games you hate to see either team lose.
3-0 count green light in the biggest moment of a extra innings baseball game and he crushes a homer. What a moment for that kid and what a win for Pikeville. The fact Duty is a sophomore is terrifying. Kids going to be untouchable the next two years if he focuses on pitching in the offseason
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
[-] The following 1 user Likes Spud6's post:
  • Panther Thunder
(05-23-2023, 06:52 AM)Spud6 Wrote: 3-0 count green light in the biggest moment of a extra innings baseball game and he crushes a homer. What a moment for that kid and what a win for Pikeville. The fact Duty is a sophomore is terrifying. Kids going to be untouchable the next two years if he focuses on pitching in the offseason
What’s crazy is he just turned 16 like 2 weeks ago and is very young for his grade. Kid will barely have turned 18 when he graduates high school. Imagine if had took the Covid hold back.
(05-23-2023, 08:42 AM)pirateforlife Wrote:
(05-23-2023, 06:52 AM)Spud6 Wrote: 3-0 count green light in the biggest moment of a extra innings baseball game and he crushes a homer. What a moment for that kid and what a win for Pikeville. The fact Duty is a sophomore is terrifying. Kids going to be untouchable the next two years if he focuses on pitching in the offseason
What’s crazy is he just turned 16 like 2 weeks ago and is very young for his grade. Kid will barely have turned 18 when he graduates high school. Imagine if had took the Covid hold back
That’s crazy. He’ll be a D1 pitcher if he wants to be.
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
Awesome game, very rarely do you see a game where both pitchers deserved to win. I think Fugates career at UK is bright and we know Duty will shine for the next few years also.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Roncris8's post:
  • jetpilot

That's some stones on the coach to trust his guy. Gotta love that.
Paintsville stats charged the loss to Miller instead of Fugate.
Surely an oversight and they will correct it.
This was a game if I was coaching I’d be extremely aggressive on the bases. I would have took some chances. Hits were very hard to come by with the pitching and defense.
(05-23-2023, 10:53 AM)Explorer Wrote:

Out of all the decisions Shane had to make, letting Thompson free swing in that situation was the easiest.
[-] The following 1 user Likes 2000PHS's post:
  • jetpilot
(05-23-2023, 06:30 PM)jetpilot Wrote: Paintsville stats charged the loss to Miller instead of Fugate.

It would’ve been Miller’s loss wouldn’t it? Bases were empty when Fugate went out of the game or did he walk the last batter he faced? I can’t remember
#BBFL
(05-23-2023, 10:32 PM)Spud6 Wrote:
(05-23-2023, 06:30 PM)jetpilot Wrote: Paintsville stats charged the loss to Miller instead of Fugate.

It would’ve been Miller’s loss wouldn’t it? Bases were empty when Fugate went out of the game or did he walk the last batter he faced? I can’t remember
Fugate walked the runner that was on 2nd when Thompson hit the home run.
(05-23-2023, 10:59 PM)2000PHS Wrote:
(05-23-2023, 10:32 PM)Spud6 Wrote:

Fugate walked the runner that was on 2nd when Thompson hit the home run.
Then that was Fugate’s loss.
#BBFL
[-] The following 1 user Likes Spud6's post:
  • jetpilot
Fugate’s runner scored the winning run
I’m a fan of Fugate to be clear, liked him in all sports for the Tigers. Very bright future. One of those guys on the opposing team you wish was on your team
(05-23-2023, 09:51 PM)2000PHS Wrote:

Out of all the decisions Shane had to make, letting Thompson free swing in that situation was the easiest.

Exactly. You don’t want your best hitter getting a walk with first base open in that spot.
(05-24-2023, 01:42 AM)jetpilot Wrote:

Exactly. You don’t want your best hitter getting a walk with first base open in that spot.
I dont think the 3-0 green light is the biggest genius , gutsy or whatever coaching decision here at all  The biggest question of all is why would you even pitch to him on a 3-0 count to begin with? What was the coaching thought process behind that?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bob Seger's post:
  • jetpilot
(05-24-2023, 10:14 AM)Bob Seger Wrote:

I dont think the 3-0 green light is the biggest genius , gutsy or whatever coaching decision here at all  The biggest question of all is why would you even pitch to him on a 3-0 count to begin with? What was the coaching thought process behind that?
99% of time you anticipate the hitter is taking that pitch. Makes no sense to me to do that with your best hitters. Most coaches would have taken the pitch but Simpkins put his faith in his best hitter as he should and rest is history. I’ll say it again this game should have been for the Championship. Nothing against any of the other teams but these are the 2 best in region regardless of what happens tonight. It is hard to get back up after that type of game. Hopefully Pikeville can.
You have to figure he's got the green light in that situation. 2 outs in 8th, most dangerous hitter in the lineup, probably last at bat of the game for him and a runner in scoring position...green light all day long. Go ahead and put him on or at least try to make him chase bad pitches and go after the next guy (who Miller retired btw). Paintsville just made a mistake.
I was about to say. With Thompson I bet Simpkins didn’t even say he had the green light. He probably just had it whether cosxh wanted him swinging or not.
#BBFL
(05-24-2023, 01:04 PM)jetpilot Wrote: You have to figure he's got the green light in that situation. 2 outs in 8th, most dangerous hitter in the lineup, probably last at bat of the game for him and a runner  in scoring position...green light all day long. Go ahead and put him on or at least try to make him chase bad pitches and go after the next guy (who Miller retired btw). Paintsville just made a mistake.
That's what I was saying. Throw one to chase or just send him on down to first. Dont groove one!!
(05-24-2023, 12:11 PM)Truewords Wrote:
(05-23-2023, 10:53 AM)Explorer Wrote: That's some stones on the coach to trust his guy. Gotta love that.

99% of time you anticipate the hitter is taking that pitch. Makes no sense to me to do that with your best hitters. Most coaches would have taken the pitch but Simpkins put his faith in his best hitter as he should and rest is history. I’ll say it again this game should have been for the Championship. Nothing against any of the other teams but these are the 2 best in region regardless of what happens tonight. It is hard to get back up after that type of game. Hopefully Pikeville can.

Nope, not by a long shot!!! If that were reality, the last 2 regional championship games should have taken place prior to the actual championship game then.  Shawn Hall has proved time and time and time again that he has 36 practice games to get better for this tournament. His record of these previous 36 games or the perceived superiority of teams who may have had a better record in their previous practice games means absolutely NOTHING!! I dont care how good your team may be or how good you think it may be, I wouldn't wager any money that he is not capable of pulling it off again this year as well. He's the best in the business in these situations.
I agree with all that. Having said that, JC got the benefit of a perfect draw and doubtful they would have made it out of that top bracket. Now that they are in the championship I’m not counting them out. Pikeville I feel is the better team but JC is capable of winning another regional championship.
(05-24-2023, 03:28 PM)Bob Seger Wrote:
(05-23-2023, 09:51 PM)2000PHS Wrote: Out of all the decisions Shane had to make, letting Thompson free swing in that situation was the easiest.

Nope, not by a long shot!!! If that were reality, the last 2 regional championship games should have taken place prior to the actual championship game then.  Shawn Hall has proved time and time and time again that he has 36 practice games to get better for this tournament. His record of these previous 36 games or the perceived superiority of teams who may have had a better record in their previous practice games means absolutely NOTHING!! I dont care how good your team may be or how good you think it may be, I wouldn't wager any money that he is not capable of pulling it off again this year as well. He's the best in the business in these situations.
You have obviously never read any of my post. JC has best coaching staff around and will not bet against them this time of the year
(05-24-2023, 09:17 PM)Truewords Wrote:
(05-24-2023, 03:28 PM)Bob Seger Wrote:
(05-24-2023, 01:42 AM)jetpilot Wrote: Exactly. You don’t want your best hitter getting a walk with first base open in that spot.

You have obviously never read any of my post. JC has best coaching staff around and will not bet against them this time of the year
I must have come across entirely different than I intended.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Everyone on the hill knew what Shane was gonna do when he called time, lol. Use that play against his former chief.
No longer the best in the business
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]