Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Barbourville 68 Clay County 57
Final
64, if you had told me a decade ago that at least one of these two things would happen : 1) a violent insurrection at the US Capitol incited by a TV reality con man or 2) Barbourville would beat Clay Co. three times in a season . I would have said , "damn, there's gonna be an insurrection!" Never in my wildest dreams would I have ever thought Bar'ville would pull off a trifecta over Clay. What crazy, crazy times we live in !!!!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Old School Hound's post:
  • Bull got out!
^ Help is on the way!!
[-] The following 1 user Likes 64SUR's post:
  • Bull got out!
I watched the game. Definately no defense....
(03-02-2023, 10:07 PM)64SUR Wrote: ^ Help is on the way!!

Keep Building. Back. Better.  It's coming around.  Smile

(03-02-2023, 10:09 PM)Bull got out! Wrote: I watched the game. Definately no defense....

Yep. And you have to play good defense to beat good teams this time of year. The Clay kids have looked lazy the second half of the year. Haven't played much defense at all.
  • 64SUR
Clay defense was non existent and when Barbourville extended their half court D and forced Clay to speed up Clay was absolutely lost. No adjustments were made and the train wreck continued. Barbourville controlled the basketball the entire 2nd half. Clay struggled to control ONE possession…
[-] The following 1 user Likes nedreader's post:
  • 64SUR
Anyone know the status of the kid that went down at the end of the game?
[-] The following 1 user Likes fridaynightfights's post:
  • 64SUR
Barbourville definitely controlled the 2nd half, no doubt about that.
(03-02-2023, 11:11 PM)fridaynightfights Wrote: Anyone know the status of the kid that went down at the end of the game?
Not sure how he is but pretty sure I saw him leave in crutches, prayers for that young man. Hopefully it’s something he can shake off and be back ready to play in a couple days.
[-] The following 1 user Likes fansville's post:
  • Black Bear Cuz
Barbourville could very well end up in the championship game
(03-03-2023, 12:18 AM)BlackHawk Wrote: Barbourville could very well end up in the championship game

If their top scorer is out the. I give them near zero chance at beating Corbin. If Corbin plays how they did tonight, it doesn’t matter who plays or doesn’t, Corbin will win by 10+.
[-] The following 1 user Likes fansville's post:
  • Old School Hound
(03-03-2023, 12:13 AM)fansville Wrote:
(03-02-2023, 11:11 PM)fridaynightfights Wrote: Anyone know the status of the kid that went down at the end of the game?
Not sure how he is but pretty sure I saw him leave in crutches, prayers for that young man. Hopefully it’s something he can shake off and be back ready to play in a couple days.

I hope the youngster is back and healthy on Saturday but if he isn't Barbourville has about as much chance of beating  Corbin as I do of  being Hoot Gibson's Vice- Presidential running mate.

#Hoot&OSHin'24
I don't know if Barbourville had ever beaten Clay until Gray began coaching. He has lost 4 times to them and twice at home dating back to his first stint coaching at Clay. Like I have said for years CHANGES NEED MADE......IMO Clay isn't as talented as most teams in the region but they are talented enough to compete. If a coach can't get that out of his kids then he needs to go. The powers that be needs to swallow their pride and get a new coach. Give Hibbard who only lost 1 or 2 games in JV a chance.....trust me he can't do any worse than what we have had and I guarantee he would bring energy to the bench......or just admit you were wrong and throw the checkbook at Marcum and ask him to come back!!!
If Clay has a coach search, it'll be because the current coach steps down by his own free will, I can guarantee you 100% he will not be fired or let go, most of the smoke being thrown up about his leaving comes from fires started by the guys who hope get the job, none of which have any evidence that they are capable of running a high school program much less - turning the program around. If they don't have a Steve Wright type coach with some experience ready to roll in, they don't need a change.
The Clay kids seem to have their will broken very easily. Before they begin winning games it looks like they need LOTS of individual skill development work because whatever they’ve been doing for the last 4-5 years isn’t working. Bundy kid looked very athletic as do a couple others. They need “basketball specific” help from someone. Most importantly their guards need help with every aspect of the game!!!!!!!
(03-03-2023, 11:53 AM)nedreader Wrote: The Clay kids seem to have their will broken very easily.  Before they begin winning games it looks like they need LOTS of individual skill development work because whatever they’ve been doing for the last 4-5 years isn’t working.  Bundy kid looked very athletic as do a couple others.  They need “basketball specific” help from someone.  Most importantly their guards need help with every aspect of the game!!!!!!!

Yeah , from what I have seen of them, they looked to have a couple or three really athletic kids but the team overall didn't sem to be very good at ball. They also didn't play a lot of defense , the second half of the season, especially.
(03-03-2023, 11:53 AM)nedreader Wrote: The Clay kids seem to have their will broken very easily.  Before they begin winning games it looks like they need LOTS of individual skill development work because whatever they’ve been doing for the last 4-5 years isn’t working.  Bundy kid looked very athletic as do a couple others.  They need “basketball specific” help from someone.  Most importantly their guards need help with every aspect of the game!!!!!!!
This is what happens when politics runs off kids who would be starting at the guard position.  I remember when Marcum won his first regional title and it was with a team who was picked 5th or 6th at best in the region that year and that was when regional games were still played at high schools.  His team wasn't super talented but he would put them in situations to where they could compete.  I just feel like for the past 5-6 years the coaching hasn't did that.  What good is it for an assistant coach to watch hours of film and scout a team if you aren't going to use it.  WE NEED CHANGE!!!!!
[-] The following 1 user Likes cchsfan4life's post:
  • nedreader
(03-02-2023, 10:02 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: 64, if you had told me a decade ago that  at least one of these two things would happen :  1)  a violent insurrection at the US Capitol incited by a TV reality con man or  2)  Barbourville would beat Clay Co. three times in a season . I would have said , "damn,  there's gonna be an insurrection!"  Never in my wildest dreams would I have ever thought Bar'ville would pull off a trifecta over Clay.  What crazy, crazy times we live in !!!!
You got one out of two occurrences correct. I agree with your take on the Barbourville wins.
Gray just isn't a very good coach. Period. If you disagree, let me know what he's won that I've missed.

Make a list. Column A are his teams that overachieved. Column B are his teams that underachieved. Which has more?

Each year, there are fewer wins against a schedule that keeps getting weaker. Things are always about to turn the corner and the program will breakthrough and get back to it's rightful place soon (hint: it doesn't).

There are constant excuses: "parents", "youth", "injuries", "know it all fans", "community not supporting the kids", but they never include the obvious, "we were outcoached", "I can't gameplan or make adjustments", "maybe I shouldn't spend so much practice time on install" or "I didn't prepare the kids and put them in a position to win". Taking ownership of the shortcomings would at least be something.

It might be one thing to suggest that others might not do substantially better but it is a completely different one to say that others would do any worse.

Right now, the bar is beating Jackson County to get to the regional tournament. Clay County was just beaten by Barbourville for the third time this season, and the second half wasn't even close. That was easily the best draw they could have gotten. Pineville is the only team in the field they'd have been favored to beat, but that wouldn't be a guaranteed win (they'd only beaten them by 6 at home earlier).

The sense in Manchester was first frustration, but now it's just apathy.

Signed,

- Someone who doesn't want Gray's job.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Cactus Jack's post:
  • nedreader
(03-03-2023, 06:06 PM)Cactus Jack Wrote: Gray just isn't a very good coach. Period. If you disagree, let me know what he's won that I've missed.

Make a list. Column A are his teams that overachieved. Column B are his teams that underachieved. Which has more?

Each year, there are fewer wins against a schedule that keeps getting weaker. Things are always about to turn the corner and the program will breakthrough and get back to it's rightful place soon (hint: it doesn't).

There are constant excuses: "parents", "youth", "injuries", "know it all fans", "community not supporting the kids", but they never include the obvious, "we were outcoached", "I can't gameplan or make adjustments", "maybe I shouldn't spend so much practice time on install" or "I didn't prepare the kids and put them in a position to win". Taking ownership of the shortcomings would at least be something.

It might be one thing to suggest that others might not do substantially better but it is a completely different one to say that others would do any worse.

Right now, the bar is beating Jackson County to get to the regional tournament. Clay County was just beaten by Barbourville for the third time this season, and the second half wasn't even close. That was easily the best draw they could have gotten. Pineville is the only team in the field they'd have been favored to beat, but that wouldn't be a guaranteed win (they'd only beaten them by 6 at home earlier).

The sense in Manchester was first frustration, but now it's just apathy.

Signed,

- Someone who doesn't want Gray's job.

Jack, you make good points. I'm not gonna pretend that all is well in Manchester. It certainly isn't. However, I have watched Glenn coach quite a few games over the years and ,while a can't point to a plethora of region titles on his resume, I can make a list of coaches I've seen Glenn outcoach. That list includes  Davis, Pietrowski and Sizemore , three pretty good coaches in their own right. Glenn can coach ball games. I submit that the last two or three years, the deplorable results have a lot to do with the talent just not being very good. Now, is Glenn missing the mark in other areas of coaching besides just X's and O's? Probably so, but others would know that more than I would. It seems like two great programs -Corbin football and Clay basketball both have issues that are tied to politics. I hope it's not forty years of wandering in the championship wilderness before Clay finds its place on top again. Talk to us Corbin fans how it feels to be lost in the wilderness of good ol' boy politics.

Signed,

An old Hound still wandering in the wilderness after forty years.
  • Bull got out!
I often see lack of talent brought up in these discussions and it’s puzzling that people do not know about all the talent from Clay County currently playing for other schools (only a few are job related). I am not saying they are right or wrong but many of the parents have literally been saying for years that their kids would not play for a coach (whether that is acceptable or not, it’s true) and then left. It’s happening right now with talented young players currently in the school system. Several of these kids start for other schools as well. Leaving X’s and O’s aside, there is a major communication and social aspect that has never been present from day one. The talent in Manchester didn’t disappear overnight, it left in the last 3 years.
[-] The following 1 user Likes UKCC's post:
  • Cactus Jack
My post was nothing about politics.

And to be clear, I don't think Gray doesn't know basketball or sports, that he was a terrible assistant, that he shouldn't be around any of the programs, or anything like that. I just think it's becoming more and more apparent that he isn't the best at being the head coach of Clay County to anyone who might have had any doubts.

It's just irritating to hear that anyone who questions his ability based on his own subpar results: wants his job, is too negative, is trying to bash the kids, doesn't really care about the program, doesn't know what they're talking about, and anything else that comes with it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Cactus Jack's post:
  • nedreader
Great posts Cactus Jack. The people that defend Gray need to quit being so defensive about his tenure as head coach. They need to step back and try to take an objective view about the situation. The truth is, the situation isn’t good and continues to decline. The excuses used are just plain old and no one cares. I’m assuming Gray and others thought he could have a lot of success with the teams he had his first 2-3 years. The truth is, it’s a much harder gig than he or the ones who offered him the job truly understood. It’s time to move on whether his successor has immediate success or not. This thing will take time to turnaround because a lot of previously loyal fans /supporters have been alienated under Gray’s tenure.
(03-04-2023, 01:26 AM)nedreader Wrote: Great posts Cactus Jack.  The people that defend Gray need to quit being so defensive about his tenure as head coach.  They need to step back and try to take an objective view about the situation.  The truth is, the situation isn’t good and continues to decline.  The excuses used are just plain old and no one cares.  I’m assuming Gray and others thought he could have a lot of success with the teams he had his first 2-3 years.  The truth is, it’s a much harder gig than he or the ones who offered him the job truly understood.  It’s time to move on whether his successor has immediate success or not.  This thing will take time to turnaround because a lot of previously loyal fans /supporters have been alienated under Gray’s tenure.
Agree with some much of this. Glenn has always been top notch to me and so many others but the person and the coach are 2 different things. Personally I feel that Clays move to 3A in football starts producing more wins/interest, basketball is done in Clay if Glenn remains coach.
Gray has the same resume coaching as a lot of people including myself in Clay County. A "Grade School" championship and nothing else. Just because you have been around basketball a lot doesn't mean you are a good coach.

That tells me that if they offered someone like me the job I couldn't do any worse than what has been done the previous years. It's time for a change in CC.....Hire someone who the kids want to play for because I guarantee with everyone coming back next year, Clay will have the same season they have had the previous years. Easy schedule.......have around a 500 record and either a first round loss in district or first round loss in region if Gray remains head coach.