•  Previous
  • 16(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Ashland self-reports possible recruiting violation to the KHSAA
Somewhere tonight Coach Jason Mays is likely making a plan for tomorrow’s first practice. I didn’t honestly think that would be the case after the recording was released.
I sure did, because Ashland is in KHSAA's pocket and Ashland and Ironton (who definitely has the OHSAA's pocket likewise) own what the proceedings are in this area with regards to that. Always have and always will unless a group of schools, together, report them to their respective state high school athletic associations, together, instead of removing them from their football and basketball schedules.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KColley's post:
  • 16thregionballer
(10-14-2022, 11:51 PM)16thregioner Wrote: Somewhere tonight Coach Jason Mays is likely making a plan for tomorrow’s first practice.  I didn’t honestly think that would be the case after the recording was released.
Tryouts are this morning and a practice scheduled for this evening. Business as usual. Nothing going on here …..lol

(10-15-2022, 01:19 AM)KColley Wrote: I sure did, because Ashland is in KHSAA's pocket and Ashland and Ironton (who definitely has the OHSAA's pocket likewise) own what the proceedings are in this area with regards to that. Always have and always will unless a group of schools, together, report them to their respective state high school athletic associations, together, instead of removing them from their football and basketball schedules.
It’s still an active investigation. We will all see where the KHSAA stands with recruiting when they render a decision. I don’t live in a glass house. What is right is right. What is wrong is wrong.
(10-15-2022, 10:31 AM)16thregionballer Wrote:
(10-14-2022, 11:51 PM)16thregioner Wrote: Somewhere tonight Coach Jason Mays is likely making a plan for tomorrow’s first practice.  I didn’t honestly think that would be the case after the recording was released.
Tryouts are this morning and a practice scheduled for this evening. Business as usual. Nothing going on here …..lol

(10-15-2022, 01:19 AM)KColley Wrote: I sure did, because Ashland is in KHSAA's pocket and Ashland and Ironton (who definitely has the OHSAA's pocket likewise) own what the proceedings are in this area with regards to that. Always have and always will unless a group of schools, together, report them to their respective state high school athletic associations, together, instead of removing them from their football and basketball schedules.
It’s still an active investigation. We will all see where the KHSAA stands with recruiting when they render a decision. I don’t live in a glass house. What is right is right. What is wrong is wrong.

I'm not getting my hopes up. Right is right and wrong is wrong, I agree, which means it would be nice if Ashland would have to abide by the same rules and regulations that they turned in Fairview football and Rose Hill basketball for breaking and be punished in the same manner. Fair is fair. They're definitely the king of turning teams in, that's for sure.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IXvjyHC3Yj...e=youtu.be

Enjoy another short piece from Coach Jason Mays productions showing off his wisdom as well as plenty of shirtless transfers.  You can’t make this stuff up.  It’s as if this whole series of videos is a giant FU to Boyd County, Jerry Spurlock, and the KHSAA.  I’m glad I don’t have a dog in the fight.  This is comedic gold.
[-] The following 2 users Like 16thregioner's post:
  • 16thregionballer, Ky1976
(10-15-2022, 03:08 PM)16thregioner Wrote:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IXvjyHC3Yj...e=youtu.be

Enjoy another short piece from Coach Jason Mays productions showing off his wisdom as well as plenty of shirtless transfers.  You can’t make this stuff up.  It’s as if this whole series of videos is a giant FU to Boyd County, Jerry Spurlock, and the KHSAA.  I’m glad I don’t have a dog in the fight.  This is comedic gold.
Its sad. We have 1 ashland kid in the entire video. 3 BC 1 Greenup 1 bath. Which most of our home grown ashland kids play football. We know how mays feels about that. Mays tape. Our Administration is as dirty as he is.
16th region pre-season rankings for Teams/Player came out per Klemme and Sports Talk. Some are saying Ashland kids got snubbed due to Mays. They have Deboard and Carter ranked 2 and 3 behind Otis from Bath. IMO that is pretty accurate for a preseason. I don't feel as if they are being snubbed due to Mays recruitment. Just in the schedule, teams not playing him. Unless they are saying other Ashland players got snubbed. Conway possibly? Opinions?
I don’t think any players from Ashland were snubbed. Looks pretty accurate to me.

On another note, this video provides some more insight as to why the KHSAA looked the other way for Coach Jason Mays:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=x4JYikKz-U...e=youtu.be

Coach Jason Mays seems well connected and well regarded across the state. The Boyd parent clearly didn’t do his homework on who he was messing with. He never stood a chance. Probably hurt his son’s reputation in the process. What an idiot.
[-] The following 1 user Likes 16thregioner's post:
  • Ky1976
(10-21-2022, 05:54 PM)16thregioner Wrote: I don’t think any players from Ashland were snubbed.  Looks pretty accurate to me.

On another note, this video provides some more insight as to why the KHSAA looked the other way for Coach Jason Mays:

Coach Jason Mays seems well connected and well regarded across the state.  The Boyd parent clearly didn’t do his homework on who he was messing with.  He never stood a chance.  Probably hurt his son’s reputation in the process.  What an idiot.
If Coach Mays' action goes unpunished, noibody's reputation will be hurt more than KHSAA's. An organization that promulgates rules and then fails to enforce them fairly does more harm than good.
(10-21-2022, 05:54 PM)16thregioner Wrote: I don’t think any players from Ashland were snubbed.  Looks pretty accurate to me.

Coach Jason Mays seems well connected and well regarded across the state.  The Boyd parent clearly didn’t do his homework on who he was messing with.  He never stood a chance.  Probably hurt his son’s reputation in the process.  What an idiot.
It would definitely appear on the surface that the KHSAA has definitely turned a blind eye to the most blatant form of breaking the recruiting rule in the history of Kentucky  Bylaw 16. Coach knows a lot of people but not well liked.  That’s why he didn’t last in the college ranks. Teams walking out on him etc. No one thinks more highly of him more then he does.  I still don’t see how the dad is the idiot. He caught coach red handed recruiting his son and multiple other players on an audio. Bashing our kids at ashland.  The idiot for sure is coach Mays. The hypocritical actions and just pure lack of integrity is sickening.
I just meant for the dad to try this shenanigan on a school as well connected with the KHSAA as Ashland and a coach who is getting Dave Baker to come host his legends night seems foolish. The dad put himself out there, called out a kid on his son’s own team, and basically went full Lavar Ball. And for what? Nothing in the end. All he has established is he is a crazy parent that most college coaches probably won’t want to deal with. His son better be the next OJ Mayo.
  • Appalachian Cat
(10-21-2022, 11:13 PM)16thregioner Wrote: I just meant for the dad to try this shenanigan on a school as well connected with the KHSAA as Ashland and a coach who is getting Dave Baker to come host his legends night seems foolish.  The dad put himself out there, called out a kid on his son’s own team, and basically went full Lavar Ball.  And for what?  Nothing in the end.  All he has established is he is a crazy parent that most college coaches probably won’t want to deal with.  His son better be the next OJ Mayo.
Boyd county filed the report from everything I read and been told. Not the dad. If you think the dad is an idiot what would you call coach mays for calling out his own players?  Recruiting two kids from Boyd on audio behind closed doors?? So if khsaa sanctions ashland/mays then dad isn’t an idiot?? Result driven? IMO it looks mays was playing checkers with a guy who plays chess. From the audio the dad never asked on time about bringing his kid to Ashland from what I heard. Even says no when mays asked 100x. I hated our kids had to hear it!!
(10-22-2022, 07:22 AM)16thregionballer Wrote: Boyd county filed the report from everything I read and been told. Not the dad.

The Boyd County administrators are hypocrites then with no self awareness.  Any Boyd team that has won in any sport over the past decade has had significant transfers.

If you think the dad is an idiot what would you call coach mays for calling out his own players?  Recruiting two kids from Boyd on audio behind closed doors??

Coach Jason Mays is an arrogant guy who wanted to be a big time college coach.  He failed.  He's a good high school coach, though, because he takes his job more seriously than 99% of his counterparts.  He's all about winning and promoting his players to colleges.  Why?  Because this promotes him.

So if khsaa sanctions ashland/mays then dad isn’t an idiot?? Result driven?

Correct.  Lavar went "all in" and it's looking like he failed.  Perhaps "idiot" isn't the right word.  He "miscalculated" how much influence Ashland has with the KHSAA.  Ashland is still pre-season number 1 in the region.  Coach Jason Mays is still employed and STILL getting transfers from Boyd and other area schools at the middle school level.  Boyd is left with a team whose only senior knows Lavar doesn't think he should play according to the recording.  It was also exposed on the recording that Coach Randy Anderson apparently hosts open gyms where psycho parents like Lavar are free to confront his boy's teammates with what he thinks of them and how they play.  Not the ideal program.  Completely result driven.

IMO it looks mays was playing checkers with a guy who plays chess. From the audio the dad never asked on time about bringing his kid to Ashland from what I heard. Even says no when mays asked 100x.

Coach Jason Mays is still producing movie trailer videos featuring none other than himself.  He has longtime state-wide respected UK broadcaster Dave Baker on video now announcing he's coming to Ashland to emcee Legends Night at the behest of his good buddy Coach Jason Mays.  If this is chess, it seems like Coach Jason Mays has flipped the board over on Lavar's head at this point.  Unless Pete Fraley has a secret KHSAA contact up his sleeve he's waiting to unveil, Coach Jason Mays is seemingly moving all the pieces in place to call "checkmate" when his Tomcats defeat Boyd and hold Lavar's boy to single digits again this season.

I hated our kids had to hear it!!

I agree!  It's good to see a couple of the kids Coach Jason Mays disparaged in the recording succeeding in other sports.  When one door closes, another opens.  Coach Jason Mays has made ALL boys sports at Ashland stronger by spreading out the athletic talent among sports.  Good for them.

In all reality, NONE of these local teams feasting on transfers are winning state titles anyway.  Other than the occasional "state title" in football, the sport that is by far the easiest to win a "state title" in due to being split into 6 classes, the population in our area doesn't lend itself to winning at the state level.  We don't have enough jobs or people.  The few "state titles" our area has seen in football have been due to a confluence of circumstances.  Ashland and Russell had some of their best teams ever in 2020 and 2005 while at the same time playing in weak classes where their main obstacle, namely Belfry in both cases, had a down year.

Since NONE of these teams are winning state titles and MOST of these teams make quick exits from state tournaments, though, it begs the question WHY all of the hullabaloo about recruiting and transfers?  Because someone was made to feel inferior to their rival school at some point in their lives and now they live to feel superior to those schools but for a moment in time.  Is it worth it?  Perhaps.  It's in the eye of the beholder.
  • Ky1976
(10-22-2022, 11:08 AM)16thregioner Wrote:
(10-22-2022, 07:22 AM)16thregionballer Wrote: Boyd county filed the report from everything I read and been told. Not the dad.

The Boyd County administrators are hypocrites then with no self awareness.  Any Boyd team that has won in any sport over the past decade has had significant transfers.

If you think the dad is an idiot what would you call coach mays for calling out his own players?  Recruiting two kids from Boyd on audio behind closed doors??

Coach Jason Mays is an arrogant guy who wanted to be a big time college coach.  He failed.  He's a good high school coach, though, because he takes his job more seriously than 99% of his counterparts.  He's all about winning and promoting his players to colleges.  Why?  Because this promotes him.

Correct.  Lavar went "all in" and it's looking like he failed.  Perhaps "idiot" isn't the right word.  He "miscalculated" how much influence Ashland has with the KHSAA.  Ashland is still pre-season number 1 in the region.  Coach Jason Mays is still employed and STILL getting transfers from Boyd and other area schools at the middle school level.  Boyd is left with a team whose only senior knows Lavar doesn't think he should play according to the recording.  It was also exposed on the recording that Coach Randy Anderson apparently hosts open gyms where psycho parents like Lavar are free to confront his boy's teammates with what he thinks of them and how they play.  Not the ideal program.  Completely result driven.

IMO it looks mays was playing checkers with a guy who plays chess. From the audio the dad never asked on time about bringing his kid to Ashland from what I heard. Even says no when mays asked 100x.

Coach Jason Mays is still producing movie trailer videos featuring none other than himself.  He has longtime state-wide respected UK broadcaster Dave Baker on video now announcing he's coming to Ashland to emcee Legends Night at the behest of his good buddy Coach Jason Mays.  If this is chess, it seems like Coach Jason Mays has flipped the board over on Lavar's head at this point.  Unless Pete Fraley has a secret KHSAA contact up his sleeve he's waiting to unveil, Coach Jason Mays is seemingly moving all the pieces in place to call "checkmate" when his Tomcats defeat Boyd and hold Lavar's boy to single digits again this season.

I agree!  It's good to see a couple of the kids Coach Jason Mays disparaged in the recording succeeding in other sports.  When one door closes, another opens.  Coach Jason Mays has made ALL boys sports at Ashland stronger by spreading out the athletic talent among sports.  Good for them.

In all reality, NONE of these local teams feasting on transfers are winning state titles anyway.  Other than the occasional "state title" in football, the sport that is by far the easiest to win a "state title" in due to being split into 6 classes, the population in our area doesn't lend itself to winning at the state level.  We don't have enough jobs or people.  The few "state titles" our area has seen in football have been due to a confluence of circumstances.  Ashland and Russell had some of their best teams ever in 2020 and 2005 while at the same time playing in weak classes where their main obstacle, namely Belfry in both cases, had a down year.

Since NONE of these teams are winning state titles and MOST of these teams make quick exits from state tournaments, though, it begs the question WHY all of the hullabaloo about recruiting and transfers?  Because someone was made to feel inferior to their rival school at some point in their lives and now they live to feel superior to those schools but for a moment in time.  Is it worth it?  Perhaps.  It's in the eye of the beholder.
I agree with one thing for sure. It’s in the eye of the beholder. You say why all the hullabaloo about recruiting/transfers. Seems like you are ok with it. Again, nothing wrong with a kid not liking his situation and moves into district. Legally transfer. However, Mays is recruiting and is so arrogant to say I’m above the bylaw. He has no bounds. Like thief he is stealing kids for other schools by promising them the world. All for what? He has finally been exposed for selling out the ashland kids and our community all for what??  So he can try to get back to the college ranks. Selling out ashland kids to bring in all these recruits. Even if he won a state title! At what cost? Our ashland kids forced out and sitting at home. The coach is ruining basketball here and needs to go. You have a guy on a video talking about discipline and hard work while he stands there weighing 320lbs!! Hypocritical on all fronts.
[-] The following 1 user Likes 16thregionballer's post:
  • 16thregioner
(10-22-2022, 12:12 PM)16thregionballer Wrote:

I agree with one thing for sure. It’s in the eye of the beholder. You say why all the hullabaloo about recruiting/transfers. Seems like you are ok with it. Again, nothing wrong with a kid not liking his situation and moves into district. Legally transfer. However, Mays is recruiting and is so arrogant to say I’m above the bylaw. He has no bounds. Like thief he is stealing kids for other schools by promising them the world. All for what? He has finally been exposed for selling out the ashland kids and our community all for what??  So he can try to get back to the college ranks. Selling out ashland kids to bring in all these recruits. Even if he won a state title! At what cost? Our ashland kids forced out and sitting at home. The coach is ruining basketball here and needs to go. You have a guy on a video talking about discipline and hard work while he stands there weighing 320lbs!! Hypocritical on all fronts.
This is full of hyperbole and has been throughout most your posts in this thread. It’s like it’s a personal vendetta with you. Ashland has had 5 transfers in the 5 years Mays has been their coach. That’s minuscule compared to most programs. And none of the 5 were “recruited”. I know it makes you feel better inside to keep saying that word over and over but it’s a fact. If he’s recruiting players then he is sure very lame at it. He could take some great lessons from quite a few other school programs, boys and girls. How you can twist a parent calling Coach Mays about his 8th grade son possibly transferring to Ashland into a “recruiting” angle is deliberately misleading. If there was any recruiting going on it was the parent recruiting Ashland for his son, not the other way around. Mays shouldn’t have talked to him for over 2 minutes at most and should have referred him to the guidance counselor or principal for further questions, and I’m sure he regrets not doing that. I think the school has determined that he will have to miss the first four games of the season, I assume for having the conversation with the parent, so it’s not like nothing has been done.
I’m not responding to this thread anymore. I’s just a few posters posting the same stuff  over and over, and maybe a few with more than one account. It’s getting redundant and the “beating the dead horse” syndrome overplayed.
[-] The following 2 users Like LOOKAYANNER's post:
  • 16thregioner, Appalachian Cat
You are right. The dead horse has been beaten. I’m done posting as well.
(10-22-2022, 03:26 PM)LOOKAYANNER Wrote:
(10-22-2022, 12:12 PM)16thregionballer Wrote:

This is full of hyperbole and has been throughout most your posts in this thread. It’s like it’s a personal vendetta with you. Ashland has had 5 transfers in the 5 years Mays has been their coach. That’s minuscule compared to most programs. And none of the 5 were “recruited”. I know it makes you feel better inside to keep saying that word over and over but it’s a fact. If he’s recruiting players then he is sure very lame at it. He could take some great lessons from quite a few other school programs, boys and girls. How you can twist a parent calling Coach Mays about his 8th grade son possibly transferring to Ashland into a “recruiting” angle is deliberately misleading. If there was any recruiting going on it was the parent recruiting Ashland for his son, not the other way around. Mays shouldn’t have talked to him for over 2 minutes at most and should have referred him to the guidance counselor or principal for further questions, and I’m sure he regrets not doing that. I think the school has determined that he will have to miss the first four games of the season, I assume for having the conversation with the parent, so it’s not like nothing has been done.
I’m not responding to this thread anymore. I’s just a few posters posting the same stuff  over and over, and maybe a few with more than one account. It’s getting redundant and the “beating the dead horse” syndrome overplayed.
You should be done. You have said the same thing over and over. It is obvious you never listened to the audio recording of him actively recruiting an 8th grader as well admitting to others he has recruited and attempted to go after. The audio is proof he called the parent. You can here him say returning your call. If you ever do comment again. I would recommend that you listen to the audio. Because you just sound ridiculous to everyone that has. If you had a kid at ashland getting recruited around. I think you would be upset but obviously you don’t.
  • Hoot Gibson
LOL, I've been out of town and busy for nearly two weeks so I haven't had a chance to catch up. When I saw the extra comments on this thread I read through them thinking there was some new news....nope....more pages of the same ole same ole. I could be wrong but it does seem like a few "anal" personalities on both sides trying to get the last word so they can win this battle of attrition. Let me give you a hint, you're not going to change each other's minds. Let it go until some meaningful news happens. If and when it does maybe start a new thread and have at it. "Live long and prosper", "Go in peace", "Don't worry, be happy". Heck I don't know what to tell you...just move on...
The KHSAA shows once again that they only care about money. It's sad really.
[-] The following 1 user Likes jamesclay's post:
  • 16thregionballer
(10-24-2022, 12:01 AM)jamesclay Wrote: The KHSAA shows once again that they only care about money. It's sad really.
I agree, at the parent meeting last night. Coach apologized again for recruiting. Said he just wants to win and he was being arrogant. The 4 games imposed by the Administration is very soft for the severity of what he did. The three dad's that flock around him at all times makes you think they are nervous on what the KHSAA may impose.  The two dads from BC and the one dad from Greenup.  None of the Ashland parents do that.  What really makes me sick was sitting in the bleachers the past couple years and hearing the GC dad scream from the stands when his kid was pulled out. "This is not what we were promised" or "This is not why we came here". This team is a pressure cooker ready to explode with the tension between kids and coach, the BC recruit and GC recruit not getting along. Even if KHSAA doesn't do anything.  Coach has ruined the culture here.  Just like he has everywhere he has been.  I would be in favor of Bonner or Strader taking the program over IMO.
  • jamesclay
Not sure when it will be reported but from what I've been told it will be somewhere between this loss of two scrimmages and maybe two regular season games or somewhere between that with a possible fine as well but not so sure about that.
Don't shoot the messenger. lol
(10-30-2022, 07:49 PM)16BBall Fan Wrote: Not sure when it will be reported but from what I've been told it will be somewhere between this loss of two scrimmages and maybe two regular season games or somewhere between that with a possible fine as well but not so sure about that.
Don't shoot the messenger. lol
Is that for the team or the coach that cannot coach for two scrimmages or regular season games?  The Administration stated it would be a 4 game suspension for Mays. That was in the paper and what is being said. Is this in addition to that?  Doesn't seem fitting IMO.
(10-24-2022, 10:54 AM)16thregionballer Wrote:
(10-24-2022, 12:01 AM)jamesclay Wrote: The KHSAA shows once again that they only care about money. It's sad really.
I agree, at the parent meeting last night. Coach apologized again for recruiting. Said he just wants to win and he was being arrogant. The 4 games imposed by the Administration is very soft for the severity of what he did. The three dad's that flock around him at all times makes you think they are nervous on what the KHSAA may impose.  The two dads from BC and the one dad from Greenup.  None of the Ashland parents do that.  What really makes me sick was sitting in the bleachers the past couple years and hearing the GC dad scream from the stands when his kid was pulled out. "This is not what we were promised" or "This is not why we came here". This team is a pressure cooker ready to explode with the tension between kids and coach, the BC recruit and GC recruit not getting along. Even if KHSAA doesn't do anything.  Coach has ruined the culture here.  Just like he has everywhere he has been.  I would be in favor of Bonner or Strader taking the program over IMO.
You’ve posted a lot of hatred and made up stuff in this thread but I believe this one tops them all. You’re “quoting” words and comments that were not made, except in your world. You think if you plaster enough of this nonsense on an open forum enough times that people will finally start believing it’s actually true.
The coach did have a meeting but he didn’t “apologize” for recruiting, because he hasn’t recruited anyone. And he did not say “he was being arrogant and only did it to win.” That’s a false statement on your part, and you know it. The program is not a “pressure cooker”, and there’s no tension between anyone. No parent shouted last year from the stands, “This isn’t what was promised when we came here.” Man, to make crap like that up to push your personal agenda and hatred is as lame as it gets. Give your opinions all day long, right or wrong, if it makes you feel better, but don’t make up false comments and narratives to try to convince readers that the Ashland program is in free fall, because it isn’t. The KHSAA is satisfied with Ashland self reporting and Ashland has handled it from there. Coach will miss some games. You have a personal dislike for the coach and as the season gets closer your words,  false statements, so-called quotes, and opinions are getting more outrageous. Jeez!
(11-02-2022, 12:28 AM)LOOKAYANNER Wrote:
(10-24-2022, 10:54 AM)16thregionballer Wrote:
You’ve posted a lot of hatred and made up stuff in this thread but I believe this one tops them all. You’re “quoting” words and comments that were not made, except in your world. You think if you plaster enough of this nonsense on an open forum enough times that people will finally start believing it’s actually true.
The coach did have a meeting but he didn’t “apologize” for recruiting, because he hasn’t recruited anyone. And he did not say “he was being arrogant and only did it to win.” That’s a false statement on your part, and you know it. The program is not a “pressure cooker”, and there’s no tension between anyone. No parent shouted last year from the stands, “This isn’t what was promised when we came here.” Man, to make crap like that up to push your personal agenda and hatred is as lame as it gets. Give your opinions all day long, right or wrong, if it makes you feel better, but don’t make up false comments and narratives to try to convince readers that the Ashland program is in free fall, because it isn’t. The KHSAA is satisfied with Ashland self reporting and Ashland has handled it from there. Coach will miss some games. You have a personal dislike for the coach and as the season gets closer your words,  false statements, so-called quotes, and opinions are getting more outrageous. Jeez!
I have never spread hatred or lies. Only what I personally see with my own eyes and hear with my own ears. You may want to take a page out of your own book. You have repeated yourself a million times about things that are made up and try to twist things. When all you would have to do is listen to the audio for starters. No one can even take you seriously. If you would come to a game, you would have heard. If you were at the meeting you would have heard. No need to spread lies like you have tried with your agenda. It is bad. Just at any parent who was at the meeting. Not your opinion.
I wasn't going to comment here again, but...

The story from the "parent meeting" is a bit much. I've seen the GC and BC player out in public together. The tension being described is wishful thinking. Both are VERY good at basketball and getting better under the coaching of Jason Mays. I'm sure they'll work it out. I've seen much crazier sports parents than the GC player's dad over the years. Their transfer to Ashland and subsequent hold back were INCREDIBLY successful moves. He already has D-1 offers as a sophomore and has played in 2 state tournaments.

If your son isn't playing basketball at Ashland, then you should have transferred him to another school if he loves the sport that much. Fairview and Rose Hill are a stones throw away if he isn't very good. Spots are still available on those teams. If he is good, Boyd County welcomes transfers with open arms. Go there. If he doesn't want to leave Ashland schools, pick another sport. Perhaps football, baseball, or soccer could use him. You've got to find your place and make the best of life given the circumstances you're dealt.

I don't know if he's going to play basketball or not this season, but the guy who couldn't make a "meaningful" shot has been great at football this year and even set the single game reception record for Ashland. Total success story. Speaks volumes for his character.

As I've belabored, I don't agree with Jason Mays downing his own players and his bombastic personality makes him an easy villian, but there is such a thing as forgiveness and there is such a thing as finding something else to do. We've learned Ashland is not the school to go after through the KHSAA. They've got connections. Accept it and move on.
(11-02-2022, 08:33 AM)16thregioner Wrote: I wasn't going to comment here again, but...

The story from the "parent meeting" is a bit much.  I've seen the GC and BC player out in public together.  The tension being described is wishful thinking.  Both are VERY good at basketball and getting better under the coaching of Jason Mays.  I'm sure they'll work it out.  I've seen much crazier sports parents than the GC player's dad over the years.  Their transfer to Ashland and subsequent hold back were INCREDIBLY successful moves.  He already has D-1 offers as a sophomore and has played in 2 state tournaments.

If your son isn't playing basketball at Ashland, then you should have transferred him to another school if he loves the sport that much.  Fairview and Rose Hill are a stones throw away if he isn't very good.  Spots are still available on those teams.  If he is good, Boyd County welcomes transfers with open arms.  Go there.  If he doesn't want to leave Ashland schools, pick another sport.  Perhaps football, baseball, or soccer could use him.  You've got to find your place and make the best of life given the circumstances you're dealt.

I don't know if he's going to play basketball or not this season, but the guy who couldn't make a "meaningful" shot has been great at football this year and even set the single game reception record for Ashland.  Total success story.  Speaks volumes for his character.

As I've belabored, I don't agree with Jason Mays downing his own players and his bombastic personality makes him an easy villian, but there is such a thing as forgiveness and there is such a thing as finding something else to do.  We've learned Ashland is not the school to go after through the KHSAA.  They've got connections.  Accept it and move on.
Like I agree. The KHSAA is the problem, not Ashland. They have made rules that they are refusing to enforce fairly across the board. It is time to clean house. The nature of many humans is to cheat and Ashland is going to stand behind one of those individuals, so there is nothing to be gained by continuing to call for action to be taken by a corrupt, spineless KHSAA.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Hoot Gibson's post:
  • 16thregioner
(11-02-2022, 08:50 AM)Hoot Gibson Wrote: Like I agree. The KHSAA is the problem, not Ashland. They have made rules that they are refusing to enforce fairly across the board. It is time to clean house. The nature of many humans is to cheat and Ashland is going to stand behind one of those individuals, so there is nothing to be gained by continuing to call for action to be taken by a corrupt, spineless KHSAA.

There are 14 staff members listed on the KHSAA website.  It's a relatively small operation.  One of those staff members graduated from Ashland.  Jim Host, founder of Host Communications which sold out to IMG, is from Ashland.  He's being honored at this year's Tomcat Legend dinner emceed by Dave Baker who has a voice everyone in the Commonwealth recognizes from UK athletics TV and radio.  The last Tomcat Legend recognized was Larry Conley.  This is only the tip of the iceberg of Ashland's connections.

Really, the more I think about it, the more Boyd County's admin better just be quiet and be glad they got away with winning one boys basketball region in 2018 with an Ohio transfer, winning multiple girls basketball region titles in the last decade with a team of transfers, winning a couple soccer regions with foreign and out-of-state transfers, and winning a couple volleyball titles recently on the back of an out-of-state transfer.  Once they start dipping their toes in the 2 money making sports that matter, though, football and boys basketball, their foot might just get cut off.
(11-02-2022, 09:38 AM)16thregioner Wrote:
(11-02-2022, 08:50 AM)Hoot Gibson Wrote: Like I agree. The KHSAA is the problem, not Ashland. They have made rules that they are refusing to enforce fairly across the board. It is time to clean house. The nature of many humans is to cheat and Ashland is going to stand behind one of those individuals, so there is nothing to be gained by continuing to call for action to be taken by a corrupt, spineless KHSAA.

There are 14 staff members listed on the KHSAA website.  It's a relatively small operation.  One of those staff members graduated from Ashland.  Jim Host, founder of Host Communications which sold out to IMG, is from Ashland.  He's being honored at this year's Tomcat Legend dinner emceed by Dave Baker who has a voice everyone in the Commonwealth recognizes from UK athletics TV and radio.  The last Tomcat Legend recognized was Larry Conley.  This is only the tip of the iceberg of Ashland's connections.

Really, the more I think about it, the more Boyd County's admin better just be quiet and be glad they got away with winning one boys basketball region in 2018 with an Ohio transfer, winning multiple girls basketball region titles in the last decade with a team of transfers, winning a couple soccer regions with foreign and out-of-state transfers, and winning a couple volleyball titles recently on the back of an out-of-state transfer.  Once they start dipping their toes in the 2 money making sports that matter, though, football and boys basketball, their foot might just get cut off.
The problems created by the KHSAA failing to do the job that the state legislature delegated it to do reaches the entire state, not just the 16th Region. Maybe the state legislature needs to step up to the plate and take some corrective actions of their own.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Hoot Gibson's post:
  • 16thregionballer
(11-02-2022, 08:33 AM)16thregioner Wrote: I wasn't going to comment here again, but...

The story from the "parent meeting" is a bit much.  I've seen the GC and BC player out in public together.  The tension being described is wishful thinking.  Both are VERY good at basketball and getting better under the coaching of Jason Mays.  I'm sure they'll work it out.  I've seen much crazier sports parents than the GC player's dad over the years.  Their transfer to Ashland and subsequent hold back were INCREDIBLY successful moves.  He already has D-1 offers as a sophomore and has played in 2 state tournaments.

If your son isn't playing basketball at Ashland, then you should have transferred him to another school if he loves the sport that much.  Fairview and Rose Hill are a stones throw away if he isn't very good.  Spots are still available on those teams.  If he is good, Boyd County welcomes transfers with open arms.  Go there.  If he doesn't want to leave Ashland schools, pick another sport.  Perhaps football, baseball, or soccer could use him.  You've got to find your place and make the best of life given the circumstances you're dealt.

I don't know if he's going to play basketball or not this season, but the guy who couldn't make a "meaningful" shot has been great at football this year and even set the single game reception record for Ashland.  Total success story.  Speaks volumes for his character.

As I've belabored, I don't agree with Jason Mays downing his own players and his bombastic personality makes him an easy villian, but there is such a thing as forgiveness and there is such a thing as finding something else to do.  We've learned Ashland is not the school to go after through the KHSAA.  They've got connections.  Accept it and move on.
I have personally seen them play and they are good players recruited to play at Ashland.  So, what you are advocating for an Ashland kid to do is this. Your words not mine. Allow Mays to recruit players and push you out. Neither kid lives in Ashland.  The GC kid lives there and the BC kid lives in Bellefonte. Both out of district recruits. Not transfers.  RECRUITS.   You are supportive of that.  IMO you are from the same tree as Mays.  If you support kids being recruited to push out Ashland kids.  Sir you are part of this broken wheel not the solution. Yes, I do with you about one thing. The player who is playing football has more character then the Administration or Mays added up together.  I have not seen Mays developed anyone at Ashland. I have seen him recruit around kids and positions.  Reference the Mays tape. Accept it and move on.  That mentality is what a guy like Mays banks on you doing.  accept me cheating, you, your kids, just accept it or like you said. Move schools.  SMH
(11-02-2022, 11:26 AM)16thregionballer Wrote:

I have personally seen them play and they are good players recruited to play at Ashland.  So, what you are advocating for an Ashland kid to do is this. Your words not mine. Allow Mays to recruit players and push you out. Neither kid lives in Ashland.  The GC kid lives there and the BC kid lives in Bellefonte. Both out of district recruits. Not transfers.  RECRUITS.   You are supportive of that.  IMO you are from the same tree as Mays.  If you support kids being recruited to push out Ashland kids.  Sir you are part of this broken wheel not the solution. Yes, I do with you about one thing. The player who is playing football has more character then the Administration or Mays added up together.  I have not seen Mays developed anyone at Ashland. I have seen him recruit around kids and positions.  Reference the Mays tape. Accept it and move on.  That mentality is what a guy like Mays banks on you doing.  accept me cheating, you, your kids, just accept it or like you said. Move schools.  SMH
Accusing kids of being recruits. 
Talking about team parents. 
You are either a disgruntled parent that Jr. didn’t play as much as you thought he deserved or the Crazy Boyd dad trying to keep things stirred up.  
There is NOT one player on Ashland’s roster that was recruited. All living in a vetted legal residence.  Create a winning program and players will come to you.  Move on.  I kind of feel sorry for you.  

Question:  Did the young man that crazy Boyd Dad was recruiting from Spring Valley come back to Boyd?  (Bylaw 16 violation!?)
Or the transfer from South Point.  Did he make it?
If ya live in a glass house…..  ya know the rest.  Lol
  •  Previous
  • 16(current)
  • Next