Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Louisville Courier-Journal All-State Team
Yea he’s not a true QB. But a great athlete
kid finished with 64% completion rate, 19 touchdowns, 1642 passing yards .. just because he’s athletic and can run doesn’t make him any less of a “true qb” .. most high school qbs can run as well as pass
might I add he only had 234 yards less than your qb on 30 less completions.. but I guess he isn’t a “true qb”
WhomTheBellTolls Wrote:might I add he only had 234 yards less than your qb on 30 less completions.. but I guess he isn’t a “true qb”
By FoSho's definition of a "true quarterback," I cannot recall Johnson Central ever having one. Ryley Preece was the latest athlete to thrive under Coach Jim Matney's quarterback-less offense - two state titles and two runners-up finishes as the Golden Eagles' starting athlete.
FoSho Wrote:The best four QBs in the state in alphabetic order:

Allen
Duby
Lanter
Stinson

....and the kid from McCracken may be 5th. The kid from Bell is a great football player but should be listed as more of an ATH than a QB IMO.

Hahaha, now aren't you the clever one? Confusednicker:Confusednicker:
WhomTheBellTolls Wrote:kid finished with 64% completion rate, 19 touchdowns, 1642 passing yards .. just because he’s athletic and can run doesn’t make him any less of a “true qb” .. most high school qbs can run as well as pass

Yea well I’m going off what I saw him do in person. I think the kid is probably top 10-15 athlete in the state regardless of class. But there 10-15 QBs I could possibly take over him for that particular position as well. Nothing against that kid. Kinda like UK’s QB. He’s just dangerous when he has the ball, but not a True QB I guess you’d say.
WhomTheBellTolls Wrote:might I add he only had 234 yards less than your qb on 30 less completions.. but I guess he isn’t a “true qb”

I figured you’d go there. You mean our 14 year old FRESHMAN? Haha. What did he have in the two games against us last year?
To answer that question. He had 11 yards passing and 68 yards passing on 14 attempts total.....🤷*♂️

So get butt hurt if you want. I said the kid should be all state as an athlete. I don’t believe he should as a QB though. Think most would agree. That’s not a shot at him as I explained above.
Hound05 Wrote:I figured you’d go there. You mean our 14 year old FRESHMAN? Haha. What did he have in the two games against us last year?

two seasons ago..? you’ll have to come to current time eventually .. you probably think lamar jackson isn’t a “true qb” either .. love the ignorance. id take london and riley over a lot of your true qb’s.. your qb may be a freshman (sophomore now) but he’s 16 and london is 18 for the age reference
Hound05 Wrote:To answer that question. He had 11 yards passing and 68 yards passing on 14 attempts total.....🤷*♂️

So get butt hurt if you want. I said the kid should be all state as an athlete. I don’t believe he should as a QB though. Think most would agree. That’s not a shot at him as I explained above.

I agree Hound. And it's not taking a shot at him, in my opinion, it's a compliment. He's not a top 10 QB but he would be a top 20 overall athlete. But like I said, it's just my opinion.
Hound05 Wrote:To answer that question. He had 11 yards passing and 68 yards passing on 14 attempts total.....🤷*♂️

I enjoy hearing stats from two seasons ago but I understand the need to cling to that season.. I wouldn’t wanna cling to your last season either.. 😂

but you’re right because two games from his junior season he’s not a good quarterback
WhomTheBellTolls Wrote:two seasons ago..? you’ll have to come to current time eventually .. you probably think lamar jackson isn’t a “true qb” either .. love the ignorance. id take london and riley over a lot of your true qb’s.. your qb may be a freshman (sophomore now) but he’s 16 and london is 18 for the age reference

It depends on the offense and personnel and acting otherwise is ignorant.
FoSho Wrote:It depends on the offense and personnel and acting otherwise is ignorant.

I like winners and I like gamers .. guys who you want the ball in their hands and can make plays happen and who have that clutch gene
WhomTheBellTolls Wrote:I like winners and I like gamers .. guys who you want the ball in their hands and can make plays happen and who have that clutch gene

What does that have to do with my post?
FoSho Wrote:What does that have to do with my post?

“it depends on personnel and offense” again I’ll take winners and gamers anyday .. you can adapt an offense to their strengths .. I’d take london and riley over most qb’s in the state other than 2-3 kids
WhomTheBellTolls Wrote:“it depends on personnel and offense” again I’ll take winners and gamers anyday .. you can adapt an offense to their strengths .. I’d take london and riley over most qb’s in the state other than 2-3 kids

He's not a thrower. If an offense requires the QB to make throws, he isn't the answer. That doesn't mean he wouldn't play a significant role for the team, it just means it wouldn't be at QB.

He would be able to have the ball in his hands in open space which is exactly what you want with a talent like him.
FoSho Wrote:He's not a thrower. If an offense requires the QB to make throws, he isn't the answer. That doesn't mean he wouldn't play a significant role for the team, it just means it wouldn't be at QB.

He would be able to have the ball in his hands in open space which is exactly what you want with a talent like him.

If Ryley Preece would have been playing QB at Boyle Co. he would have been 1st team all state....He can throw the ball as well as anybody. He would be the most dangerous QB in the state with his ability to run along with his ability to throw it. To beat Boyle Co. and the other 14 teams this year, he's not required to put it in the air.. Boyle corps of receivers is what makes their offense . You can put a very averaged QB with those guys and make him look like Joe Namath.
Bob Seger Wrote:If Ryley Preece would have been playing QB at Boyle Co. he would have been 1st team all state....He can throw the ball as well as anybody. He would be the most dangerous QB in the state with his ability to run along with his ability to throw it. To beat Boyle Co. and the other 14 teams this year, he's not required to put it in the air.. Boyle corps of receivers is what makes their offense . You can put a very averaged QB with those guys and make him look like Joe Namath.

I fully disagree with your statement that you can put a very averaged QB with those guys and make him look like Joe Namath. I do think after reading what Ryleys dad said about just trusting in the program and staying the course shed some light on how good the kid truly is and I wouldn't wont to take anything away from his career the way it played out. But I would have love to seen him in a throwing offense. He looked good in person and he threaded the needle when he threw it. But when I read this statement, it seems you are saying anyone could have done what Boyles QB did. What I saw in the championship game wasn't his fault. I saw a QB that was a very good one in my eyes. I also see that he was very key in there success to get them to where they was.
Hound05 Wrote:Some of them are! Absolutely. Have you seen some of the coaches in Kentucky? Obviously a GeD wasn’t a requirement

Exactly, also if you all don't think coaches don't make deals with each other on voting, you're wrong.
WhomTheBellTolls Wrote:I enjoy hearing stats from two seasons ago but I understand the need to cling to that season.. I wouldn’t wanna cling to your last season either.. ��

but you’re right because two games from his junior season he’s not a good quarterback

This past year will pay dividends for Corbin this coming year! As far as Stephney playing QB, At Bell County, I wouldn't want him anywhere else. I think he played it well and it being what Bell likes to run, it was a perfect fit. At another school, he may have played a different roll. But I think athletes like Him can play many positions and be dangerous at any position. But I think most schools would have used him at QB but some schools would have used him in other rolls on offense. I do think he should have been higher than honorable mention.
Westside Wrote:Exactly, also if you all don't think coaches don't make deals with each other on voting, you're wrong.

I agree with you there. :rockon:
Bob Seger Wrote:... To beat Boyle Co. and the other 14 teams this year, he's not required to put it in the air...

So Bob, are you saying Matney just used his "vanilla" offense this season? Confusedhh:
Bull got out! Wrote:This past year will pay dividends for Corbin this coming year! As far as Stephney playing QB, At Bell County, I wouldn't want him anywhere else. I think he played it well and it being what Bell likes to run, it was a perfect fit. At another school, he may have played a different roll. But I think athletes like Him can play many positions and be dangerous at any position. But I think most schools would have used him at QB but some schools would have used him in other rolls on offense. I do think he should have been higher than honorable mention.

can agree with this post thank you for reasonable dialogue .. the beautiful part about London playing qb was every play was a threat to score because the ball was in his hands

hate seeing the “not a true qb” critics just because the first thing people notice are his legs .. the kid can flat out throw the ball and has proven he can
ekywildcat Wrote:So Bob, are you saying Matney just used his "vanilla" offense this season? Confusedhh:

hahaha,

Well, since you bring it up, maybe just for the championship game?...You know, just a little touch to make it a special brand of dramatic, for FoSho.

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
WhomTheBellTolls Wrote:can agree with this post thank you for reasonable dialogue .. the beautiful part about London playing qb was every play was a threat to score because the ball was in his hands

hate seeing the “not a true qb” critics just because the first thing people notice are his legs .. the kid can flat out throw the ball and has proven he can

Well, I came and watched him play against Knox, Whitley and the Championship game. Going back to the Whitley game. Whitley came back and made a run, score was closer, Bell put some passing plays in there that I thought was really good. That opened the field and the rest is history. Against Knox county, Bell came out passing. He was very accurate. Nice plays. I actually videoed that game. I was watching the Army-Navy game and was thinking, I can see that kid playing in this game, the way they run there offenses. I think my boy said he had some offers of that caliber.
Agreed. Can't take anything away from Lanter's career. He was a perfect fit for Boyle's offense. Consistent, stable, mistake free football player and a genuinely good young man. I also feel he was very deserving of this recognition and probably more. Just as Bull said, being good takes a total buyin and some degree of sacrifice from the players to put team over self. It's just something you have to accept to be part of something bigger, and kids need to know that's okay. This game reveals, as well as builds character and ultimately that's what we want to see in our sons. Good thread.
There is so much here I would like to quote but I don’t have all day.
1 Preece is a stud and fit his program strengths just as Lanter did Boyle and London fit Bell and Dudley. It not exactly comparing apples to apples if you know what I mean.
2 There was many kids get screwed and left off the list, I can’t speak for other programs but I can for mine and Steeley was the only kid from Corbin who should have received a 2nd team honor or better and was a honorable mention.
3 this is for whom the bell tolls, you are correct sir our qb is a freshman and just turned 16
4 .Forgive and forget and let’s keep the site positive and move forward being fans and keep the passion between the lines.
5 bull got out, you are exactly correct this list is a trade off amongst coaches you vote for mine type deal.
WhomTheBellTolls Wrote:can agree with this post thank you for reasonable dialogue .. the beautiful part about London playing qb was every play was a threat to score because the ball was in his hands

Can’t argue kids talent but that is not why the kid is not on the list, Dudley Hilton is why he wasn’t. The Coach down plays kids so much to make himself look good. Not one email to promote him to coaches or media.
BoltCoach9 Wrote:Agreed. Can't take anything away from Lanter's career. He was a perfect fit for Boyle's offense. Consistent, stable, mistake free football player and a genuinely good young man. I also feel he was very deserving of this recognition and probably more. Just as Bull said, being good takes a total buyin and some degree of sacrifice from the players to put team over self. It's just something you have to accept to be part of something bigger, and kids need to know that's okay. This game reveals, as well as builds character and ultimately that's what we want to see in our sons. Good thread.

Great post.

Ryley is a great QB and was very impressive in the title game. He is a winner in every sense of the word and I wish him nothing but the best moving forward. He's got a bright future on and off the field.
Bossdaddy 4115 Wrote:There is so much here I would like to quote but I don’t have all day.
1 Preece is a stud and fit his program strengths just as Lanter did Boyle and London fit Bell and Dudley. It not exactly comparing apples to apples if you know what I mean.
2 There was many kids get screwed and left off the list, I can’t speak for other programs but I can for mine and Steeley was the only kid from Corbin who should have received a 2nd team honor or better and was a honorable mention.
3 this is for whom the bell tolls, you are correct sir our qb is a freshman and just turned 16
4 .Forgive and forget and let’s keep the site positive and move forward being fans and keep the passion between the lines.
5 bull got out, you are exactly correct this list is a trade off amongst coaches you vote for mine type deal.

Great post and I'm totally on board with #4 and will do my part.