Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2017 UK Football Recruiting
I used to do this with The Blue Blur, before I took a leave of absence from BGR. Now that I have been back for a few months, I'm going to start doing it and hopefully continue to do it for years to come. If anyone else has recruiting updates or information, please feel free to include it in this thread.

With that said, Kentucky is currently expected to have another Top 25 recruiting class under the Stoops regime. Kentucky's recruiting class is currently ranked 23rd by Rivals and 24th by 24/7 Sports. The cats have 20 commitments at this point with 3 4 star recruits and 14 3 star recruits.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LOSERS QUIT WHEN THEY'RE TIRED, WINNERS QUIT WHEN THEY HAVE WON
3 star WR from Jenks, OK is Kentucky's most recent commitment. In my opinion he has the most potential out of anyone in the recruiting class and probably more potential than any wide receiver already on the team. He very talented, but it's raw right now as he only played football during his Junior and Senior seasons, which part of the reason why he is only a 3 star and did have a lot of bigger schools calling his name. He's got great size at 6'3'' and 185 lbs.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
COACH SPEAK: 'It's going to be scary' when new commit Epps hits his stride

Dub Maddox is the offensive coordinator at Jenks High School in Oklahoma, a nationally-respected prep powerhouse.

He spoke with Cats Illustrated about new Kentucky commitment Isaiah Epps following the player's commitment.

Normally a committed recruit's coaching staff can speak to how a player has performed over a period of several years. But because Epps is new to football, or at least only recently returned to the sport after a long stint away from it, Maddox can only talk about his senior season. That's all Epps had as a varsity high school football player.

"He's a great kid," Maddox told Cats Illustrated. "I'll tell you, he's a steal. He's an under the radar kid who didn't come out for football until his junior year, and it was like a week before football. His older brother, Carson, plays for Iowa State and he set our all-time receiving record in 2014. I would always see Isaiah in the weight room. When he was little he would come wait for Carson during workouts. I would ask him, 'When are you going to come out for football?' And he'd say, 'Oh no, I'm a basketball and track guy.'

"Finally, when Carson graduated, I think Isaiah saw him go to Iowa State and that kind of made him get the itch to play. He had played football when he was a young kid but it had been a while."

It's not as though the younger Epps made a big impact on the Jenks program right away. There's almost always going to be some kind of learning curve for a player who has been away from football for so long, even if he's a great athlete.

Maddox said Epps spent his junior year learning the ins and outs of how to play the game. Then, during the spring and summer of the offseason before his senior year, things start to click.

"We really saw potential in him. His talents and ability exceed his brother's just in terms of his natural gifts. But we really didn't know what we'd have until we got into the actual season," Maddox recalled.

"He just exploded. During the first three non-district games he got better every week," Maddox said. "He's a hard worker, very intelligent, a smooth route runner. He's very physical. That's the thing about him. Most guys think about a receiver and say, 'That's a finesse guy.' But he definitely has a physical mentality and we like that about him. The blocking, the running after the catch. He can really do it all."

If there's anything Epps needs to work on fine tuning, Maddox believes it's simply polishing his overall game as anyone else would have to. Because he's new to the game, at least at the highest prep level as a varsity player, Epps hasn't had as many reps as a lot of other top recruits.

But that's something time and experience in an SEC program will help with quickly, Maddox pointed out.

"He really just needs more reps. More game reps. This was the first year he had varsity experience. We played 12 games this year and went 11-1, so he really just needs more development and that's not a bad thing," Maddox said. "A lot of times when you get these guys who have played so many years they've already hit their ceiling. It's going to be exciting to see where he goes. He's still growing and maturing. He's 6'3 and already probably 185 or 190. When he gets into the weight room and gets more reps, and when he's around the film room and the level of coaching he's going to get in the SEC, it's going to be scary."

Epps had other Power Five conference offers from Kansas State and Illinois. Colleges at the FBS and FCS level had already offered him, too. A player's junior season is generally regarded as their most important season in terms of showcasing himself to college recruiters. Because Epps was still learning the game, rather than playing at the varsity level in a visible role, he missed out on the publicity that would have come from that.

Maddox said Epps' stock as a recruit was adversely affected by his later embrace of the game.

"If he had a junior year like he did this year, as a senior, he could have gone anywhere," Maddox said. "It would have been a who's who list in terms of the schools offering him. He has the measurables coaches are looking for. He's long. He's fast. He can catch and he can run. He's intelligent. In this day and age of recruiting if you don't get your name out there as a sophomore or junior a lot of people think, 'What's wrong with you?' I think that's one of the only mistakes colleges make. They don't factor in that development when a guy's a late bloomer."

Maddox said he believes Tommy Mangino was instrumental in helping Epps to land at Kentucky. Mangino is an offensive assistant who helps Lamar Thomas with Kentucky's receivers, and he was the receivers coach at Iowa State when Epps' brother, Carson, was being recruited by the Cyclones.

"I think Mangino convinced those guys to give him a look. He really liked what he saw on film," Maddox said. "You get that type of kid there, he's the total package. The intelligence and the skills, plus he's a team leader. Just like Carson was for us. Those leadership skills that he'll give you are hard to come by in this day and age. I think that was one of the big selling points."

https://kentucky.rivals.com/news/coach-s...his-stride
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Q & A with new UK commit Isaiah Epps

Shortly after Isaiah Epps announced his verbal commitment to Kentucky the three-star prospect spoke at length with Cats Illustrated.

Cats Illustrated: Why did you feel like Kentucky was the right choice for you?

Epps: I just felt like the coaches were really genuine and really straightforward. I believed in everything they were telling me. I actually believed it and I saw it for myself. The facilities and everything were great. I mean, it's not really just about that. It's mostly about the coaches and how involved I can tell they actually are.

Cats Illustrated: Earlier you said that Tommy Mangino had a bit of a history with you. Talk about that.

Epps: Coach Mangino was the wide receivers coach and Mark (Mangino) was the offensive coordinator at Iowa State when they were recruiting my brother. I really like Coach Mangino. He's really enthusiastic about his job. You can really tell he takes it seriously. I can tell he's real laid back and he's looking to get the best out of his players.

Cats Illustrated: You had also said that Darin Hinshaw had made a trip out to see you. Talk about that if you could.

Epps: He came to my practice two Thursdays ago. Then after practice he followed me and my family home. We had a quick in-home visit and he showed us a slideshow of the campus and the facilities, how they got renovated, the players dorms and all the stuff like that. Then he came to my game on Thursday. He came to that and then he offered me. I officially visited on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Cats Illustrated: After the visit you told us that you wanted to wait a couple of weeks before making your choice. What changed?

Epps: After the visit, like I had said to you, it really exceeded my expectations. I just wanted to go home, pray on it and talk it over with my family.

Cats Illustrated: Talk about the role Mark Stoops played in your recruitment and what you've thought of him.

Epps: Coach Stoops was a really good guy. When I got in on Friday we had a dinner with all the recruits and their families. I spoke with him there. Sunday morning I went into his offense and it was those three guys (Stoops, Hinshaw and Mangino). They just talked about how they could incorporate me into their offense and how they could really use a guy like me.

Cats Illustrated: Kentucky loses a lot of receivers after next year, after the 2017 season. Did they talk much about that?

Epps: Yeah, I think they lose six senior wide receivers next year.

Cats Illustrated: How would you describe your game and what do you do best as a receiver?

Epps: I feel like my best asset is my speed and closing space with the DB whenever he's in zone. Getting in and out of my breaks. Also, on a screen, just making a guy miss. Those are some of my strengths. Actually, on a lot of Kentucky's plays they have screens tied to them and they run a lot of reverses. I actually got a couple of touches on reverses this year. They showed me all that stuff.

https://kentucky.rivals.com/news/q-a-wit...saiah-epps
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Here is the current list sorted by rank.

Name Pos Location Ht Wt Signed Stars Rating Committed
JaVonte Richardson
ATH Maple Heights, OH 6'4" 205 5.9 3/28/16
Tyrell Ajian
ATH Mansfield, OH 6'1" 185 5.8 4/22/16
Joshua Paschal
DE Olney, MD 6'4" 255 5.8 12/12/16
Walker Wood
QB Lexington, KY 6'0" 189 5.6 10/16/15
Bryant Koback
RB Holland, OH 5'11" 191 5.6 1/18/16
Quinton Bohanna
DT Cordova, TN 6'4" 280 5.5 2/25/16
Jamin Davis
LB Ludowici, GA 6'2" 189 5.5 3/8/16
Alex King
DE Mason, OH 6'3" 224 5.7 4/2/16
Phil Hoskins
DT Highland, KS 6'5" 275 5.7 5/21/16
Joshua Ali
WR Hollywood, FL 5'11" 173 5.6 6/26/16
Clevan Thomas
WR Pembroke Pines, FL 5'11" 191 5.7 7/17/16
Michael Nesbitt
DB Lauderdale Lakes, FL 6'0" 174 5.6 8/24/16
Danny Clark
QB Akron, OH 6'3" 230 5.7 10/21/16
Chris Whittaker
DE Hollywood, FL 6'3" 256 5.5 12/3/16
Naasir Watkins
OL Olney, MD 6'4" 283 5.5 12/6/16
Lonnie Johnson
DB Garden City, KS 6'3" 210 5.6 12/13/16
Isaiah Epps
WR Jenks, OK 6'3" 185 5.5 12/14/16
Austin Dotson
OL Belfry, KY 6'6" 295 5.4 3/8/16
Cedrick Dort
DB West Palm Beach, FL 6'0" 165 5.4 8/2/16
Sebastien Dolcine
OL Miramar, FL 6'4" 285 5.4 12/11/16
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Javonte Richardson is an athletic beast. Will be hard to hold onto.
UKisN1 Wrote:Javonte Richardson is an athletic beast. Will be hard to hold onto.

Vince Marrow does pretty good when it comes to keeping commits from Ohio, but it will definitely be interesting if he gets an offer of Ohio State. If we keep him, Kentucky will have the best receiving core they've had in a long time.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Agreed
FORD OPEN TO UK: Miami defensive line commit will give Cats a shot

Fort Lauderdale (Fla.) Dillard is home to not one, but two defensive linemen currently on Kentucky's recruiting radar.

Defensive end Jordan Wright is one, and he could be making a decision as soon as this week.

The other is Wright's good friend Jon Ford, a defensive end/tackle who is currently committed to Miami.

Cats Illustrated reported more than a week ago that Ford would be taking his official visit to Kentucky the weekend of January 13, after the conclusion of the annual winter dead period. Wright, his good friend and teammate, could make a decision before then. Whether that sways Ford's thinking or not, it's an intriguing variable.

Ford committed to Miami nearly a full year ago, and his pledge caused Mark Richt to let out a scream of joy, according to CaneSport.com at the time.

He will take his official visit to Miami on January 28, right before National Signing Day, but before visiting "The U" he'll take a visit to Kentucky so the Cats can make their case.

While Eddie Gran has been praised for his work recruiting South Florida, Wright told Cats Illustrated that defensive line coach Jimmy Brumbaugh has been the most instrumental coach in his recruitment, at least from UK's end.

On Tuesday, Ford told Cats Illustrated that Brumbaugh has not had an in-home visit with him yet, but he said that will be happening in January.

"Coach Gran and Coach Jimmy are good guys and I'm looking forward to visiting," Ford said, when asked why he has interest in Kentucky.

The in-home visit could come on the heels of Ford's official visit to Kentucky.

https://kentucky.rivals.com/news/ford-op...ats-a-shot
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jon Ford is an absolute beast! 6'5'' 275 pure muscle coming at you! He's a very highly rated three star recruit by both Rivals and 24/7 Sports, very nearly a four star. If we can start flipping kids from Miami, then there is a very bright future for Kentucky.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
VISIT SET: Former Cane commit sets date for trip to Kentucky

Former Miami wide receiver commitment Kevaughn Dingle has scheduled his official visit to Kentucky.

Dingle, a three-star receiver from Miami Gardens (Fla.) Carol City, has been planning to visit Kentucky in January for some time now. But now he has a date.

Dingle told Cats Illustrated on Tuesday morning that he plans to visit Lexington the weekend of January 27-29.

National Signing Day is on February 1, 2017.

Dingle is ranked the No. 61 wide receiver nationally according to Rivals.com. Kentucky already has commitments from two other Top 100 players in Florida at the receiver position in Clevan Thomas and Joshua Ali.

He was committed to Mark Richt's Miami program until December 15th, when he posted the following message to his Twitter account:

"Now that I have accomplished my goal of winning a state title I will begin to focus on my recruiting process. First of all, I would like to thank Coach Richt and his coaching staff for having and interest in me but due to "lack of communication" I have decided to decommit from the University of Miami. Also, to all of my UM fans I truly appreciate the love and support you've shown me thus far but I've decided to leave my options open because communication is a key factor in my decision-making. I wish the UM family much success."

https://kentucky.rivals.com/news/visit-s...o-kentucky
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Heard through the Grapevine that 5 star offensive lineman Jedrick Wills might flip from Alabama to Kentucky. It's still a long shot in my opinion though.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
3 star, , weakside defensive end, Jordan Wright of Dillard HS in Fort Lauderdale, FL committed to Kentucky today! Even though he is just a three star, this is a huge win for the Wildcats! Just to give you an idea of how big this is, he had offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Baylor, Cal, Colorado, Florida, Louisville, Miami, Michigan, UNC, Oklahoma, and Tennessee.

He is also teammate of three star defensive lineman Jon Ford who is currently committed to Miami, but has scheduled an official visit to UK.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
WRIGHT COMMITS: Florida pass rusher picks Kentucky

Today is Jordan Wright's birthday. The day is doubly special for the three-star defensive end because Wright has verbally committed to Kentucky.

The Fort Lauderdale (Fla.) Dillard prospect turned down several other big-time offers in choosing the Cats.

Wright is ranked the No. 25 weakside defensive end in the country and the No. 78 prospect in Florida according to Rivals.com.

Over the course of Wright's recruitment he had also received offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Florida State, Louisville, Miami, Michigan, Mississippi State, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Pittsburgh and Southern Cal, among others.

At one point Kentucky basketball coach John Calipari spoke with Wright about the possibility of allowing him to walk-on with his team. Wright is a two-sport star at Dillard.

Wright is also the teammate of three-star (5.7) defensive lineman Jon Ford, a player who will officially visit Kentucky in January. Ford is committed to Miami.

https://kentucky.rivals.com/news/wright-...s-kentucky
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
IMPACT ANALYSIS: What Wright to Kentucky means

Cats Illustrated breaks down what Jordan Wright's commitment means from every angle.

Unprecedented South Florida recruiting run

Kentucky is on an unprecedented recruiting run in South Florida. Plenty of other schools have had comparable recruiting momentum in the area over the past decade, but these are uncharted waters for Kentucky. Credit the offseason coaching hires by Mark Stoops, which made recruiting success much more likely in that part of the state.

The Cats now have commitments from the following Floridians, all from the southern part of the state where the talent is in greater abundance than anywhere else: Defensive linemen Jordan Wright and Chris Whittaker, wide receivers Joshua Ali and Clevan Thomas, offensive lineman Sebastien Dolcine and defensive backs Cedrick Dort and Clevan Thomas.

All seven commitments have occurred in a span of less than six months, starting in the summer. Wright is the Cats' third South Florida commitment in December alone. The Cats have a total of seven commitments this month.

Impact on UK's class ranking

According to Rivals.com's ranking formula a program's top 20 commitments are counted towards their overall point total. Because Wright is Kentucky's 21st commitment, the net point impact on Kentucky's class isn't what it would have been a week ago.

Wright has a 5.7 Rivals Rating, which is one-tenth of a point away from a four-star prospect, and players with that ranking count for 90 points in the network's scoring system. One of Kentucky's two-star commitments no longer counts towards UK's total, which subtracts 45 points. Thus, Wright nets Kentucky a total of 45 points.

This moves Kentucky's class from No. 25 nationally to No. 20.

UK's best defensive line haul ... ever?

There's a strong case to be made that Kentucky's 2017 signing class will include the best defensive line haul in the program's history, at least in the Rivals.com era stretching back to 2002.

Jack linebacker/end Alex King, defensive tackle/nose Quinton Bohanna and defensive linemen Joshua Paschal, Phil Hoskins, Chris Whittaker and Jordan Wright comprise a class of six players up front (if King is counted).

Within that group there's one four-star and five players rated as three-star players.

All of those players had Power Five offers to other schools, and some had quite impressive offer lists.

https://kentucky.rivals.com/news/impact-...ucky-means
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ASSESSING THE CLASS: The biggest strength of UK's 2017 class

The month of December has brought a flurry of commitments for UK's football program.

Cats Illustrated steps back, just more than a month away from National Signing Day, and takes a big picture look at Kentucky's 2017 recruiting class.

How strong is it? Where might it finish in the national rankings? How does it compare with classes at other SEC schools? What position groups has UK recruited the best, and where might the Cats still need to improve before February 1st?

These are some of the questions tackled below.

The biggest strength of Kentucky's 2017 class

While schools sometimes take players at every position, almost every recruiting class is stronger in some areas than others. That's true of this Kentucky class as well, at least on paper. While any assessment of the class or even individual players in it is going to be subjective, there are months of interviews, an abundance of scouting reports and plenty of film to help inform an opinion.

Where is this Kentucky class strongest?

This first installment of Cats Illustrated's series assessing the overall quality of UK's 2017 class will deal with that. The answer? The defensive line.

From revolving door of JUCO's to a move towards long-term quality depth

It's not a stretch to say this is the best defensive line haul in the modern recruiting era (or Rivals.com era) for Kentucky's football program. While Kentucky has just one Rivals.com four-star defensive lineman, several others had offer lists that would make a few four-star players elsewhere blush. The defensive line is the biggest strength of Kentucky's class and it's tough to overstate the importance of that.

That said, it's still a bold statement. Stoops' first class, the 2013 signing crew, included four-stars Za'Darius Smith and Jason Hatcher, plus players like Melvin Lewis and Regie Meant, who developed into quality contributors before exiting game action before their eligibility was exhausted, for different reasons. The difference in the 2017 class, which is still just verbally committed, and the 2013 class, is twofold: Hindsight tells a story. Lewis, Meant and Hatcher contributed well at one point, but didn't finish ideally. Jacob Hyde hasn't blossomed into a starter or second-string player and Alvonte Bell detoured to the JUCO level, which burned meaningful eligibility. Other than hindsight, that class also relied on two JUCO players and another (see: Bell) who went JUCO after Signing Day. The eligibility of the 2017 class in the trenches will be revealed in time, but just one of the players has JUCO eligibility.

Mark Stoops has obviously shattered long-existing expectations and an artificially low 'ceiling' that pundits and many fans alike assumed was there, at least in recruiting. But going into the 2017 recruiting cycle the one thing Stoops had never put together was a deep, athletic, versatile and highly sought-after group of defensive linemen.

That's not to say Stoops didn't recruit quality linemen before. Four-star JUCOs Za'Darius Smith and C.J. Johnson (not to mention much-less heralded JUCO Melvin Lewis), touted three-star and Alabama target Matt Elam, in-state prospects like Adrian Middleton and former Cat Lloyd Tubman, one-time Rivals250 (turned high-three star) Denzil Ware and others bear witness to Stoops' success recruiting some respected defensive line prospects.

But before this class there were a couple of problems. For starters, Kentucky needed to rely on an influx of JUCO defensive line talent upon Stoops' arrival. This was a necessity because of the lack of SEC-caliber talent in the trenches coupled with the "win now" mentality that makes a coach's window of opportunity so small in the 21st century. Recruiting JUCO's begets more JUCO recruiting; a revolving door of players with two or three years of eligibility, rather than high schoolers who stick around for four or five years. That makes it very difficult to build long-term depth, to maximize a roster's experience (your seniors are often second-year SEC players, rather than fourth or fifth-year SEC players). Considering that, it's actually impressive that Kentucky has produced a good number of quality defensive line contributors. But the JUCO success plan is tough to sustain because it hinders a program's pursuit of high school players (who see older players as roadblocks to early playing time, and who have fewer scholarship spots to fill).

While JUCO defensive lineman Phil Hoskins will have limited eligibility at Kentucky (even more limited because he will not be enrolling early, as he hoped to for a good while), the rest of Stoops' 2017 line commits will have five years to complete four seasons of eligibility. They're high schoolers. That means they aren't as likely to be SEC-ready contributors, that the learning curve will be steeper, and that fans would be wise to be extra patient, even in the case of a big-time talent like Joshua Paschal. Those fans wondering why it took C.J. Johnson or Lewis a year to hit their stride might be wise to double their patience and assume most of these players will need a redshirt year and redshirt freshman year to develop their strength, technique, conditioning and approach to the game.

But the longer learning curve is generally necessary to build the kind of defensive line that can change games in the SEC. Not many college football programs consistently rely on a revolving door of two or three-year JUCO's to hold up against Power Five offensive lines, particularly those in the SEC. Generally you're taking a player in such a situation and expecting an up-and-down first year followed by, best case scenario, good contributions as a senior. Then rinse, repeat.

Kentucky returns a significant number of contributors on the defensive line in 2017. That does not guarantee the coaching staff that the line will be among the SEC's better units. It doesn't even guarantee the line will improve significantly, although an added year of strength, conditioning and seasoning (not to mention the extra bowl prep) for most of a unit's players will often pay off at least in a moderate way.

Naquez Pringle, Adrian Middleton, Alvonte Bell, Matt Elam, Kengera Daniel, Tymere Dubose, T.J. Carter and Kordell Looney all return as players who should be a part of the rotation in Kentucky's three- or four-man fronts. That makes it tough to predict that any of Kentucky's current defensive line commits will play right away, but that's a good issue to have. Worst case scenario, Kentucky should only have to replace Courtney Miggins, who entered the season as the program's most highly-regarded lineman but who may have been outperformed by a couple of players.

It's certainly possible that one, two or even more of Kentucky's 2017 signees-in-waiting on the line could play next year. After all, several of them are more highly-ranked than Carter and even Looney (who was sought-after), and those two players made pushes to get on the field at various times in 2016. Without discounting the possibility that Hoskins could play early, that Paschal could set a tone right away or that Bohanna could made the interior more sturdy from Day One, the good assumption should be that those players, those very talented recruits, will be playing catch-up through summer workouts, fall camp and most or all of 2017. If they don't play early, that could be a good sign, too. Generally true freshman playing on the defensive line in the SEC is a sign of good recruiting, but also a sign of need, which isn't such good news.

Nonetheless, the sheer number of defensive linemen Kentucky is signing makes it statistically more likely that one or two of those players could surprise, even in a big way, early upon arrival. Some are more physically developed, as high school players, than the other preps in the trenches Stoops has had. Paschal is a sturdy strongside defensive end with enough athleticism to stay there, Bohanna is well over 300 pounds with a big upper body, Whittaker is filling out and has a good reach, Hoskins carries good weight body between his long wing span and Jordan Wright has gotten significantly bigger over the past year alone, with no sign of slowing in that physical maturation process.

Versatility and balance characterize UK defensive line class

The number of defensive linemen in this class, the quality of them and the looming youth movement, towards the potential for long-term depth, are legitimate reasons to conclude the Cats' current commitments comprise the best defensive line class in the program's history during the Rivals.com era.

But there's another reason to make the claim and back it up without hesitation: Versatility. This class has it.

Hoskins is more defensive end than tackle in Kentucky's scheme but he's been listed as a tackle for good reason. He's 6-foot-4, 280 pounds and has played different spots on the line in the past.

Bohanna is capable of manning the tackle spot or the nose. As will be mentioned at greater length, there's never been a consensus among college coaches as to which position Whittaker is best suited to grow into, and that's not because he's a 'tweener. It's because of his versatility.

There had been talk about whether Wright was more of a 'Jack' or more of a defensive end, and there's no telling whether he'll always be a longer, leaner player, or whether he might fill out in a big way, until he's a massive strongside end with rare athleticism. Then, of course, there's King, recruited to fill the all-important Jack spot.

https://kentucky.rivals.com/news/assessi...2017-class
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
If there's one criticism of the class (it would be minor) it could be that the Cats could use another interior linemen, with Pringle and Elam both moving towards the end of their eligibility and Bohanna as the only sure-fire tackle or nose in the group. But that's not an especially biting critique and there's still more than a month until Signing Day. There's also still a Miami commit (Jon Ford) who will officially visit and host UK's coaches for an in-home in January. His position? Defensive tackle.

Closer look at Kentucky's defensive line commitments

What's the best-case scenario for each of Kentucky's defensive line commitments? Why are Kentucky's coaches undoubtedly pleased with the class as a whole? What prompted the staff to show interest and enthusiasm for each of the Cats' six defensive line commitments, and what makes them the three- or four-star prospect with those lengthy offer lists, that each of these six players are?

Phil Hoskins - He comes in prepared, surprises early, finds a way to play as a first-year JUCO transfer and blossoms in 2018 as a potential starter. Once thought of as a tackle, Hoskins is likely to play end in UK's 3-4, and, again best-case, he could wow right away with his wingspan and quickness.

Other offers: Arkansas, Baylor, Houston, Iowa State, Kansas State, Mississippi State, Syracuse.

Joshua Paschal - He comes in more physically advanced, stronger and more athletic than any other high school defensive line recruit in the Stoops era and plays as a true freshman. Long-term, Paschal has all-SEC, All-American and NFL potential, plus the work habits to make all that happen. It's never guaranteed, but there's a reason he's a four-star who gave Notre Dame and Oklahoma's coaches a shot to the gut in choosing UK.

Other offers: Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Alabama, Arizona, Clemson, Florida, Iowa, Louisville, Maryland, Michigan State, Ole Miss, Missouri, Nebraska, North Carolina, NC State, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Pittsburgh, Rutgers, South Carolina, Syracuse, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Southern Cal, Virginia Tech, West Virginia, Wisconsin.

Quinton Bohanna - Pringle's development, Middleton's emergence and some other factors make it a little less likely that Bohanna plays right off the bat, but this is a player who finished with 19 sacks in 2016, and a player with elite size and power. Best-case scenario, Bohanna plays as a freshman, providing depth behind Pringle with Elam. He develops into an All-SEC caliber player who can play tackle or the nose in any of Kentucky's alignments.

Other offers: Louisville, Memphis, Marshall

Chris Whittaker - Though Whittaker was committed to a non-Power Five school before flipping to Kentucky it's easy to forget he was one of Florida's most sought-after defensive linemen before that; and his UCF commitment had a lot to do with his mother wanting him close to home, rather than a lack of real options. Whittaker's senior film is impressive, as are his length, get-off and speed, so best-case scenario he develops into an impressive pass rusher at 6-foot-4 and 270-plus pounds. The most important thing to know about Whittaker if you're an optimist? UCF wanted him as a rush end or linebacker, and he's a player who could conceivably have the size of a defensive tackle in the long-term.

Other offers: Colorado, Georgia, Georgia Tech, Indiana, Illinois, Maryland, North Carolina, NC State, Notre Dame, Purdue, Rutgers, South Carolina, Syracuse, Tennessee.

Jordan Wright - What's scary about Wright, aside from the obvious (6-foot-6, 230-plus pounds, rare athleticism) is his potential ceiling. That's not just cliche talk for someone long, athletic and fast. He had a big senior season and has also doubled as a basketball player. Will Wright try to play basketball at UK? That will be determined, but if he throws himself completely into football it could help him pick everything up a lot faster, and help him to grow into the kind of body you want in an SEC defensive lineman. Not long ago Wright was a lanky (or wiry, to be more kind) defensive end of just 210 pounds who had more of a small forward's look. In just a year's time he's packed on muscle, transforming his biceps and core, as he's started to look more like a gridiron guy. Best-case scenario for Wright probably still involves a redshirt or minimal contributions as a true freshman, so he can get stronger and more technically sound, but long-term he has as much potential as Paschal, Bohanna or even other positional players like JaVonte Richardson. His ceiling is as high as anyone's in this UK class.

Other offers: Alabama, Florida, Florida State, Miami, Arkansas, Cal, Illinois, Maryland, Michigan, Mississippi State, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Pitt, Rutgers, Syracuse, Southern Cal, others.

Alex King - The Mason (Ohio) standout can be counted as a defensive lineman and/or a linebacker because he's expected to man the Jack position that has become a staple of Stoops-era defense. While he's unlikely to play with his hand in the dirt often, King will be attacking the backfield alongside everyone else on this list. Best-case scenario, he develops into one of the better Jacks that Stoops has recruited. He's not as long or as rangy as last year's signees (Jaylin Bannerman, Jordan Bonner), but he's physically impressive and has a better composition, pound for pound.

Other offers: Illinois, Indiana, Iowa State, Purdue, Rutgers, Tennessee, West Virginia, Wisconsin.

* Note: Some offers were verbal offers only, much earlier in the recruiting process. Nonetheless, all verbal offers are a legitimate sign that a staff has ID'd as a player as serious recruiting target, and at the very least serves as a sign that the staff is interested enough that they want to build a long-term relationship with the player that could eventually translate to a written offer or potentially a commitment.

Defensive line recruiting classes in the Stoops era
Year Defensive line commitments
DT Quinton Bohanna, DE Alex King, DE Phil Hoskins, DE Jordan Wright, DE Chris Whittaker, DL Joshua Paschal
DT Kordell Looney, DT Ja'Quize Cross, DT Naquez Pringle, DE Jaylin Bannerman, DE T.J. Carter
DE Kengera Daniel, DE Alvonte Bell, DT Courtney Miggins, DT Javon Provitt
DT Adrian Middleton, DT Cory Johnson, DT Matt Elam, DL Tymere Dubose, DE Denzil Ware, DE Lloyd Tubman
DT Melvin Lewis, DT Jacob Hyde, DT Regie Meant, DE Alvonte Bell (H.S.), DE Za'Darius Smith, DE Jason Hatcher

https://kentucky.rivals.com/news/assessi...2017-class
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
CORKER PICKS UK: Highly-touted defensive back commits to Kentucky

Stockbridge (Ga.) Woodland defensive back Yusuf Corker committed to Kentucky on Monday, bolstering the future of the Cats' secondary.

Corker, a 6-foot, 173-pound corner, also had offers from many other Power Five programs.

He had narrowed his list of finalists to Kentucky, Tennessee, South Carolina and Michigan State.

Corker visited Kentucky over the weekend of December 9th. That was the first time he had visited UK, although he is the cousin of former Wildcat running back Raymond Sanders and had been hearing from Mark Stoops' staff for the better part of two years.

Corker is ranked the No. 50 cornerback in the nation and the No. 48 player in Georgia according to Rivals.com.

Prior to Corker's decision Kentucky had already landed commitments from defensive backs Michael Nesbitt, Cedrick Dort, Tyrell Ajian and, most recently, junior college prospect Lonnie Johnson.

https://kentucky.rivals.com/news/corker-...o-kentucky
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
IMPACT ANALYSIS: What Corker to Kentucky means

In Yusuf Corker the Cats have landed one of the top defensive backs in the South.

Here's what Corker's decision means.

Major recruiting victory in the South

To date, most of Kentucky's recruiting wins in the 2017 class, and in the Mark Stoops era, have come in Ohio against predominantly Big Ten competition or in Florida against a hodgepodge of schools that compete against the Cats there.

Occasionally there has been a major recruiting victory in Georgia, as when Boom Williams -- then ranked the No. 1 all-purpose back nationally -- picked Kentucky. Jordan Griffin also comes to mind.

This was a victory for the Cats against Tennessee and South Carolina, two SEC East foes who recruit the Peach State quite well. And it wasn't at all apparent, until the closing hours before Corker's commitment, that he would be choosing UK.

It's also a big recruiting win for Matt House.

Commitment bolsters secondary

Kentucky's secondary is set to receive a major influx of talent with the 2017 class.

JUCO defensive back Lonnie Johnson, who was recruited as a corner but who could play any position in the secondary, will arrive early and compete for time right away.

Tyrell Ajian is one of the top players in Ohio and is slotted as a safety. Michael Nesbitt and Cedrick Dort are among the better corners in Florida.

Corker is one of the top cornerbacks in the South and has been one of UK's top defensive back targets for a very long time.

Inching closer to a full class

Corker's commitment moves Kentucky one player closer to its final Signing Day tally. It ends, in all probability, Kentucky's pursuit of defensive backs. It's difficult to see UK taking more than five players in the secondary when there are so many other talented players still listing UK.

Lynn Bowden remains a major priority for Kentucky. Offensive tackles Jedrick Wills, Thayer Munford and Zalon'tae Hillery are big targets, too. Ohio receiver Danny Davis would be welcomed with open arms.

Kentucky now has 22 commitments in the 2017 class. Corker's commitment moves Kentucky's class to No. 19 on the Rivals.com national ranking chart.

https://kentucky.rivals.com/news/impact-...ucky-means
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
We're just a few weeks away from National Signing Day and Mark Stoops gets a huge YAHTZEE!!

This time it is 4 star Athlete Lynn Bowden from Warren Harding HS in Warren, OH.

Bowden is the 4th four star recruit to commit to Kentucky for the 2017 season, giving the Cats the 18th best recruiting class in the country according to Rivals.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
IMPACT ANALYSIS: One of the biggest commitments of the Stoops era

It's difficult to overstate the significance of Lynn Bowden's commitment to Kentucky.

Cats Illustrated takes a stab at tackling what Bowden to UK means from every angle.

'A different kind of player'

Kentucky has scored plenty of big-time commitments during the Mark Stoops era —Boom Williams out of Georgia, Landon Young from Kentucky and many more.

Bowden isn't Kentucky's highest-ranked commitment of the Stoops era, but there may be a case to be made that he's the most important.

For starters, many believe that Bowden is a truly elite-level talent. One person with a strong working knowledge of the Ohio prep scene told Cats Illustrated that Bowden is a "national talent" and simply on a different level than any other player in the Buckeye State that the Cats have landed. It's worth noting that same person spoke of JaVonte Richardson in the same way.

When Cats Illustrated asked another person how Bowden compares to the other top players in UK's 2017 class, they responded, "(Bowden) is just on a different level."

Playmakers needed: Bowden fits the bill

Let your mind drift back to 2013. Mark Stoops had been hired not long ago. There was a noticeable absence of elite talent at the skill positions.

Now, remember Stanley "Boom" Williams' commitment. And think about the impact that commitment would have on the program over the next three seasons. He didn't take Kentucky to an SEC East championship, but oftentimes that one player was the best offense Kentucky had. He made things happen even when nothing else was working, and he left Lexington as one of the most productive running backs — and arguably the most explosive — in UK history.

Think back, now, to Randall Cobb, and the significance of his commitment to Kentucky.

Without guaranteeing that Bowden will have a Cobb-like impact at Kentucky, or even one that matches Boom Williams', those points in history are worth underlining because it's the kind of impact Bowden can have at Kentucky.

Williams' departure, and Jeff Badet's decision to transfer, announced Friday, means that Kentucky needs other playmakers to step up in 2017. And given how many receivers will be leaving Kentucky after 2017, that will be all the more important in 2018 and 2019.

Bowden is the kind of elite playmaker that could make a game-breaking impact from Day One, and it's very rare to be able to say that about a player. He won't step in as a Heisman candidate, but he'll be a threat to make big plays whenever he touches it.

Overall class impact

Kentucky now has 23 commitments and the Cats might have room for just one or two more players. Ultimately it may be a safe bet that Kentucky finishes with a 'full' class of 25, but this commitment clearly pushes Stoops closer to the finish line.

Bowden's commitment bumps Kentucky to a tie with Southern Cal at No. 17 in the Rivals.com rankings, passing Florida and Arkansas, and just one other time in the Stoops' era (or in the Rivals.com era, to measure a longer period of time) have the Cats been ranked this high so late in the recruiting cycle.

It's tougher to gauge what impact this has on UK's depth chart in the near future or longer-term, because Bowden is such a wildcard. It's difficult to pinpoint him as a slot or a running back or a receiver, because he could do any and all of the above.

https://kentucky.rivals.com/news/impact-...eview=true
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
National Signing Day is quickly approaching and Kentucky will have a chance to pick up another highly touted 4 Star recruit in OT Thayer Munford! He will be picking between Ohio State, Iowa State, Kentucky, and Pitt on Wednesday.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LeeCoUKFan Wrote:National Signing Day is quickly approaching and Kentucky will have a chance to pick up another highly touted 4 Star recruit in OT Thayer Munford! He will be picking between Ohio State, Iowa State, Kentucky, and Pitt on Wednesday.

Lee Co.,

Rumor has it that Jedrick Wills and Russ Yeast are going to flip. We shall see.
Axel Foley Wrote:Lee Co.,

Rumor has it that Jedrick Wills and Russ Yeast are going to flip. We shall see.

Thanks for the info! That certainly would be awesome. With Walker Wood being a teammate and friend of Jedrick Wills, there is a very good chance he will flip.

If the Kentucky coaching staff can get Thayer Munford, Jedrick Wills, and Russ Yeast on National Signing Day, it would be the best recruiting class Kentucky has ever had. Even if Stoops get 2 out of those three, it could arguably be considered the best recruiting class.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LeeCoUKFan Wrote:Thanks for the info! That certainly would be awesome. With Walker Wood being a teammate and friend of Jedrick Wills, there is a very good chance he will flip.

If the Kentucky coaching staff can get Thayer Munford, Jedrick Wills, and Russ Yeast on National Signing Day, it would be the best recruiting class Kentucky has ever had. Even if Stoops get 2 out of those three, it could arguably be considered the best recruiting class.

Probably would be about 15th, if that happened. The rankings I go by are 247's composite, which is the average of all 4 scouting services.
Is Danny Davis going to sign?
UKisN1 Wrote:Is Danny Davis going to sign?

What I am hearing is he will.
UKisN1 Wrote:Is Danny Davis going to sign?

Axel Foley Wrote:What I am hearing is he will.

Ah yes, how could I forget. All indications are pointing towards Kentucky being the heavy favorite, but he has not given a time and date of when he will give his official commitment.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The Kentucky coaching staff continues to impress this off season! The cats just got another YAHTZEE in 3 star DE Abule Abadi-Fitzgerald from Victory Christian HS in FL. He chose Kentucky over Florida. Abadi-Fitzgerald is 6'7'' 245.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Heard 60/40 Wills flips to Kentucky.