Poll: Who wins?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Highlands
73.17%
Collins
26.83%
* You voted for this item.

•  Previous
  • 3(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Highlands vs Collins 4A State Title
IT WOULD BE CRAY IF COLLINS WINS.
AUBURN v BAMA
kybred Wrote:'Remember the Titans' will take on a whole new meaning to me if the Collins Titans knock off the 22 time and 6 time consecutive defending KY state champion Highlands Bluebirds. It sounds like a bad movie sequel in the making. I only say bad as a FTH fan.
But if one thinks how far Collins has come in just 4 years and also taking into account last years score in the finals coupled with Collins considered an underdog by most this year, a Collins win has a Hollywood story ending to it.
Is this the year I/we "Remember the Titans"?
I'm sticking with my original prediction of Highlands winning handily and I will definitely remember the 2013 Collins Titans for life if the Titans prevail.

I was thinking the same thing the other day. If Collins were to win this game it would be a great story. But whether they win or lose, I think a lot of people will "remember these Titans" because of how much success they have had in a such a short amount of time and how much fun they have been to watch the past couple of years. It is certainly a group that will be missed after they graduate.
I will still go with the birds. Everyone be careful in your journeys.
By G. MICHAEL GRAHAM
Fort Thomas Matters Sports Reporter

The new motto came about Nov. 30 last year.

The Highlands Bluebirds football team completed the “Race for Seis (Six)” with a state record sixth consecutive state championship, 47-0 over the Collins Titans at Western Kentucky University that night. It was not long after the returning players started talking about adding onto that record with a “Stairway to Seven” theme.

The Bluebirds earned that chance against the same team Saturday at 4 p.m. Eastern Standard Time back at Feix Field/Houchens Stadium at Western Kentucky University. Highlands (13-1) won its first four Class 4A playoff rematches from a year ago and must do it a fifth time against the fourth-year program from near Shelbyville.

The Bluebirds may be battling injuries. But that won’t stop them from laying everything on the line in what will be the final game for 31 seniors.

“I saw (Highland senior linebacker) Thomas (Wrobleski) running (Monday),” said Nick True, Highlands senior tight end. “He was not in pads. But he looked like he’s ready to go. We want to win state no matter what. There are guys who want to play even if they have broken arms.”

Highlands enters the game with an excellent 100-4 record since 2007. The Bluebirds have outscored the opposition by 1,144 points during their 34-game playoff winning streak. That’s an average of about 33.6 points per game.

The Titans (12-2) have won 45 of their first 56 games as a program splitting off from Shelby County in 2010. They’ve also been to at least the Class 4A regional title game in each of those four years.

Collins enters the game on a four-game winning streak. Collins’ two losses are to Simon Kenton (23-21) to open the season on Aug. 23 and at Central Hardin (36-32) on Oct. 11. Both made it the Class 6A regional finals.

The Bluebirds have been two-platooning both ways with their depth for years and could have that same advantage Saturday. Collins started that process after the loss to Simon Kenton.

“We had planned by mid-season to platoon,” said Jerry Lucas, Collins Head Coach. “We have felt all along this is what we needed to do to grow our program. It wasn’t easy because we had several seniors who are outstanding on both sides of the ball.”

The Titans have outscored the opposition, 587-190. They’ve rushed for 2,469 yards and passed for 3,080. Defensively, they’ve allowed 1,952 yards rushing and 1,634 passing.

Collins returns the one-two senior punch of quarterback Lawson Page and Western Kentucky University commit wide receiver DeAndre Farris. Page has completed 198-of-316 passes for 3,036 passes, 37 touchdowns and just four interceptions. Farris has rushed for 643 yards and 13 touchdowns and caught 61 passes for 982 yards and 16 scores.

But the duo has help. Ryan Watkins has rushed for 1,079 yards on 131 carries and 15 touchdowns. Wide Receiver Nathan Sames has complemented Farris with 55 catches for 930 yards and 12 touchdowns.

“They’re spreading the ball out really well,” said Brian Weinrich, Highlands Assistant Head Coach/Defensive Coordinator. “They’re getting very creative with getting the ball to (Farris). He is just a phenomenal football player. We have our work cut out to be honest.”

Highlands hopes to shore up its passing defense after allowing more than 300 yards in the semifinal win over Lexington Catholic. Griffin Urlage leads the Bluebirds with three interceptions and Jackson Bardo has two. Highlands has allowed 2,081 rushing and 2,315 passing defensively.

“We’re working on something to draw more attention to their skill guys like (Farris) so we don’t get beat deep like we did last week,” said Alex Shadle, Highlands senior defensive back. “You just practice knowing how the routes look. We learn that by looking at film.”

Highlands put a lot of pressure on Page last year. Senior defensive lineman and Cornell University commit Seth Hope sacked Page five times in that game.

Collins runs a 4-3 base defense. Senior linebacker Masai Whyte leads the Titans with 178 tackles.

“They’ve had some juniors step up and they’re playing good football,” said Dale Mueller, Highlands Head Coach/Offensive Coordinator. “They adjust well in games. They’ll put different guys in different spots depending on what you’re doing and they’ll move guys around. It’s been really effective for them. I didn’t really expect them to be as good as they are. When we looked at the film Saturday, we said, ‘Son of a gun. This is a good football team.”

Highlands has passed for 4,547 yards and rushed for 1,634 led by senior quarterback Drew Houliston and running back Zach Harris. Houliston has completed 212-of-304 passes for 3,660 yards, 48 touchdowns and just two interceptions. He is five touchdown passes short of Gino Guidugli’s record of 53 touchdown passes set in 2000. Houliston, Beau Hoge and Austin Hergott have combined to throw a school-record 60 touchdown passes.

Harris has rushed for exactly 1,000 yards on 140 carries and 21 touchdowns. He’s also caught 29 passes for 466 yards and nine touchdowns.

The offensive line has protected well all season. Highlands has been especially lethal throwing deep passes. Junior wide receivers Jensen Feggins and Alex Veneman have caught 48 and 31 passes for 1,040 and 817 yards respectively. Feggins has 15 touchdowns catches and Veneman 10.

“They run the ball just as well as they pass the ball,” Lucas said. “You are going to have to prepare to try to slow down both if you are going to have a shot to win the game.”

Highlands would capture the state record of 23 titles all to itself with a win Saturday. The Bluebirds are still tied with Louisville Trinity for that record of 22 titles each. But the Shamrocks lost in the 6A regional finals this year.
Posted by G. Michael Graham at 3:00 AM

http://www.fortthomasmatters.com/2013/12...other.html
Highlands 42-10
Dale Mueller, Highlands Head Coach/Offensive Coordinator. “They adjust well in games. They’ll put different guys in different spots depending on what you’re doing and they’ll move guys around. It’s been really effective for them. I didn’t really expect them to be as good as they are. When we looked at the film Saturday, we said, ‘Son of a gun. This is a good football team.”
Buckle your ching straps, you have a game to play.
All streaks must come to an end.
No playoff loss since 06. 6 championships in a row. Pressure is being put on the kids by the fans. WE WANT 7

Have been telling you guys....The Titans are coming to play football not to celebrate on making it to the finals.
Tommy2tone Wrote:Dale Mueller, Highlands Head Coach/Offensive Coordinator. “They adjust well in games. They’ll put different guys in different spots depending on what you’re doing and they’ll move guys around. It’s been really effective for them. I didn’t really expect them to be as good as they are. When we looked at the film Saturday, we said, ‘Son of a gun. This is a good football team.”
Buckle your ching straps, you have a game to play.
All streaks must come to an end.
No playoff loss since 06. 6 championships in a row. Pressure is being put on the kids by the fans. WE WANT 7

Have been telling you guys....The Titans are coming to play football not to celebrate on making it to the finals.

I think that Collins will score 2-3 TDs at least.... But id be surprised if they stop the birds more than once.

They have the magical disney story on their side, but they will not be overlooked... and you can bet the house that dale is not pulling starters until there is about a minute to go in the game. I think Lex Cath ruined the surprise factor for Collins.

To win the Titans would have to eat up a lot of clock and win the turnover battle by 2-3. Plus their secondary would have to paly at an all-state level on saturday
I think Collins will score too. 2 to 4 TD's. If Collins can force some punts. It could get interesting.
I think Collins is practicing defense 80% of the time this week. I think they have confidence they can score. They have plenty of weapons.
I expect Dale to get his first win over Collins after missing last year's game due to a death in the family.
Nearly a dozen players on Collins football team are following in the cleat marks of their fathers.

By Todd Martin
Friday, December 6, 2013 at 3:00 am (Updated: December 6, 3:11 am)

As the Collins Titans run out onto field for the Class AAAA championship game Saturday in Bowling Green, they will draw on their experiences from the season and from last year’s trip to the title game.

And nearly a dozen of those players will also be able to draw on experience gleaned decades ago as their fathers took the field in big games, including state championship games, for the Shelby County Rockets.

“Coach [Tom] Becherer and his staff built a very strong tradition of excellence for football in this county and that’s going to be around long after we’re gone,” Titans’ head coach Jerry Lucas said. “That’s something we’re trying to build on. It’s really special to see that group coming back through again.”

Becherer, who is now the defensive coordinator for the Titans, said seeing his players come full circle isn’t something he expected, but he has enjoyed it.

“It makes it more special,” he said. “The success a lot of those guys had, it’s been really enjoyable seeing their kids come through.”

And for Becherer, his connection runs even deeper.

Players Browning and Bennett Becherer and Lawson Page are all his grandsons.

“It has been a real blessing, getting to coach them and all the kids,” he said. “Seeing all these names come through again. It’s a special group. It’s certainly made it more fun for an old man.”

All-purpose back Dre Farris – who’s father Lamour Farris and stepfather Reggie Hicks both played at SCHS – said it’s nice to have some extra support.

“They just tell me to go out and make plays,” he said. “My stepdad [who led the Rockets to the 1987 title] gives me the most grief, but if you ask him he wants us to win.

“My dad always tells me to just get the ball and go. He always says once I get in the open field it’s not a football game, it’s a track meet, so I just try to remember that.”

Page, the Titans’ quarterback, says he leans on his dad a lot.

“He’s my role model, he’s taught me everything I know,” he said of Frank Page, who earned an honorable mention All-State nod during his playing days. “He was a wide receiver, but he knows a lot.”

Michael and Kyle Goss, whose dad, Richard Goss, played offensive line for Becherer, said their dad is supportive.

“He likes to watch film,” Michael Goss said. “And he’s really encouraging, but he’s not out there coaching us too much. He just tells me to do a good job.”

Added Kyle Goss: “It kind of adds some competition to it. You want to do good because you know he did.”

And for linemen Mark Bradford and Jalen Stone, that competition is alive and well.

“My dad always says he’d chop me down like a tree,” Bradford said. “But it’s kind of fun to think about going against them.”

And Stone said his dad is the same way.

“My dad says he’d put me on my back,” he said.

“But his dad is huge. He’s a mountain of a man,” Bradford said.

Living up to a legacy on the field can be tough, but Isaiah and Elijah Jones – whose father, Junior Jones, went on to play at the University of Louisville – said there’s no added pressure.

“He just wants us to work hard,” said Isaiah Jones. “Plus, he was a wide receiver and we’re mostly defensive backs.”

Added Elijah: “He doesn’t get on us, or give us a hard time, but it [his success] does motivate us to play harder.”

Although most said their fathers don’t compare their own playing styles or careers to that of their kids, almost all of the kids said their dads will compare the teams.

“He likes to compare their team to ours, and he always says they’re better,” Kyle Goss said.

Browning Becherer, whose dad, Edmund, played for his grandfather on the 1987 title team, agreed, too.

“I think they would beat us; they had more heart,” he said and quickly received a groan from his teammates. “I mean, they just worked hard. Nobody was goofing off in practice. They weren’t the most talented team, but they won the title.”

And that’s something all these players can take from those earlier teams.

“It just makes us proud and makes us want to work harder,” Sam Harrod said.

http://www.sentinelnews.com/content/gene...ll-success
Well, it is friday and time for me to make a pick before heading south. I love this Collins teams. I have be around some good teams in my days but this one is somthing special.
This is not only a great group of talented players but a group of great men. That is what seperates this team from all others and it starts at the top. Collins football is all about family and these players are one huge family. Yeah Yeah, we have all heard that one before but I am telling you, this group is special.
I think this is the year that the streak comes to an end. Even Dale said it himself that he didn't think Collins was very good.
With everything going Highlands way and the tradition I still feel this group will lay it all on the line.....31-28 TITANS!
Tommy2tone Wrote:Well, it is friday and time for me to make a pick before heading south. I love this Collins teams. I have be around some good teams in my days but this one is somthing special.
This is not only a great group of talented players but a group of great men. That is what seperates this team from all others and it starts at the top. Collins football is all about family and these players are one huge family. Yeah Yeah, we have all heard that one before but I am telling you, this group is special.
I think this is the year that the streak comes to an end. Even Dale said it himself that he didn't think Collins was very good.
With everything going Highlands way and the tradition I still feel this group will lay it all on the line.....31-28 TITANS!

Not to sound disrespectful but it's the same ole song and dance for any team that plays Highlands. The "this team is special" may be true but they will get their butts handed to them regardless tomorrow. No doubt. They will be amazed at just how good Highlands is.......Sorry to bust your bubble.
Highlands by 20
Before last year's Class 4-A state championship game against perennial power Highlands, Collins High School football coach Jerry Lucas had his team watch the movie "Miracle" in hopes of finding inspiration.

The film tells the story of the 1980 U.S. Olympic hockey team that upset the powerhouse Soviet Union on its way to the gold medal.

The movie did little for Collins, however, as Highlands won 47-0 to become the first team in Kentucky history to win six straight state titles.

A year later, Collins will face Highlands again in Saturday's 4-A final at Houchens Industries/L.T. Smith Stadium in Bowling Green. Kickoff is set for 4 p.m. EST.

Lucas knows most observers consider the Bluebirds (13-1), who are No. 1 in The Courier-Journal's Litkenhous Ratings, heavy favorites over his No. 7 Titans (12-2). But he doesn't think his team needs a Hollywood miracle to win this time.

"What Highlands has accomplished over the last seven years can't be ignored," Lucas said. "But why not look at it as a great challenge? We think we have everything it takes to compete and win a state championship."

Collins has accomplished plenty in its four years of existence, sporting a 45-11 record with three regional titles. But the Bluebirds are among the bluebloods of Kentucky high school football, leading the all-time victory list (855) and tied with Trinity for the most state titles (22).

Lucas said there was an obvious difference between the teams during pregame warm*ups last year, and it showed in the first half. Quarterback Lawson Page was sacked four times in the first two quarters, and Highlands led 33-0 at halftime.

"There's an awe factor ... when you make your first finals," Lucas said. "Our kids are out there looking at the Jumbotron and doing what normal kids do. On the other end, (Highlands) was going to work because they expected to be there."

Collins senior DeAndre Farris expects his team to handle things differently this time.

"Last year one of our goals was just to make that game and play in that game," he said. "This year we kind of expected to be here. We want to come in and win the whole thing."

If Collins is to keep up with Highlands' high-scoring attack -- the Bluebirds average 51.8 points per game and have reached 70 four times -- Farris must be a big factor.

Farris, who has committed to Western Kentucky, is the team's top receiver (61 catches, 982 yards, 16 touchdowns) and No. 2 rusher (643 yards, 13 TDs). Page has passed for 3,036 yards and 37 TDs, and Nathan Sames has 55 catches for 930 yards and 12 scores.

Lucas said the key for the offense is limiting negative plays.

"And we can't turn the ball over ... because teams like Highlands will capitalize on it," he said. "There's nothing wrong with punting and playing field position sometimes."

Highlands has lost stellar quarterbacks to graduation the past two years -- Patrick Towles in 2011 and Donovan McCoy last year -- but Drew Houliston has stepped in admirably. The senior has passed for 3,660 yards and 48 touchdowns and has completed 69.7 percent of his passes (212 of 304).

"I really feel like the past two years Drew could have been our starting quarterback and been first-team All-State," coach Dale Mueller said. "It stinks a little bit for him because he wasn't able to play quarterback ... but he's just done a brilliant job this year."

Zach Harris (1,000 rushing yards, 21 TDs) is a third-year starter at running back, and Jenson Feggins (48 catches, 1,040 yards, 15 TDs) has emerged as a big-time receiver. Offensive lineman Nick True (WKU commitment) and defensive end Seth Hope (Cornell) are All-State-caliber.

"Their offensive line is very impressive," Lucas said. "I think Zach Harris is the guy who makes them go. ... The way he runs and the way they block for him sets up the passing game. And that line gives (Houliston) all day long to throw the ball."

Farris said he and his teammates are well aware of Highlands' strengths but won't be so awestruck this time around.

"They have a tremendous team, and it does feel a little different when you're playing them because you know it's Highlands," Farris said. "At the same time, you know in the back of your mind that you just have to come out and make plays."

http://lms.usatodayhss.com/louisville/ar...entive-now
Boy, what happened to all the running clock picks? Side note, thanks to all you guys for posting stories. Great reading
Game time has been moved up to 3 PM Eastern, 2 PM Central.
Hearing games being moved around and this one moved up an hour.
Tommy2tone Wrote:Well, it is friday and time for me to make a pick before heading south. I love this Collins teams. I have be around some good teams in my days but this one is somthing special.
I think this is the year that the streak comes to an end. Even Dale said it himself that he didn't think Collins was very good. With everything going Highlands way and the tradition I still feel this group will lay it all on the line.....31-28 TITANS!

You really do not expect him to say they are not very good do you? I stick by my prediction of 42-14 to 47-21 range. However, it the weather is as bad as predicted, it could be the great equalizer and you never know what will happern. I do think even in bad weather HHS will be fine because of Harris being suck a powerful runner.
Tommy2tone Wrote:Boy, what happened to all the running clock picks? Side note, thanks to all you guys for posting stories. Great reading

Still would not be surprised if there is a running clock.
3 WKU commits will be playing their final high school game tomorrow in their future college stadium. DeAndre Farris and Masai Whyte from Collins as well as Seth Hope from Highlands will all be teammates at Western Kentucky next year. Hopefully some of the Hilltopper fans will be in attendance to see some of their future players in action.
blue1424 Wrote:3 WKU commits will be playing their final high school game tomorrow in their future college stadium. DeAndre Farris and Masai Whyte from Collins as well as Seth Hope from Highlands will all be teammates at Western Kentucky next year. Hopefully some of the Hilltopper fans will be in attendance to see some of their future players in action.

Seth Hope is going to Cornell. Its Highlands TE True that is going to WKU.
birdman44 Wrote:Seth Hope is going to Cornell. Its Highlands TE True that is going to WKU.

I knew that, my bad.
[quote=sstack]You really do not expect him to say they are not very good do you? I stick by my prediction of 42-14 to 47-21 range. However, it the weather is as bad as predicted, it could be the great equalizer and you never know what will happen.
I do think even in bad weather HHS will be fine because of Harris being suck a powerful runner

After my typing error was brought to my attention, I want to go on record and say Harris does not SUCK! LOL. :biglmao:
I think I saw this year Collins has no one going both ways. Maybe I am wrong. But if they do. Look to see some kids going both ways. Highlands will not do that.
Tommy2tone Wrote:Boy, what happened to all the running clock picks?

Weather
There are 3 possible outcomes of this game....

1. Highlands takes off scoring at will. Dale doesn't take his foot off the gas because of the semifinal game at Lex Cath. At some point Collins adjusts scores a couple times. Its not nearly enough.
49-21 Highlands.

2. Highlands takes off scoring at will. Dale doesn't take his foot off the gas because of the semifinal game at Lex Cath. Highlands D steps up. Collins folds.
56-7 Highlands.

3. Slugfest. only 3 stops for either team.
52-48 The Winning Team

To win Collins has to score over 40 points for sure
Watching the pre-game warm-ups it appears FTH has many more players dressed for the game. Anyone know the numbers of players for each team?

Link to live video of the game

http://khsaa.org/120713-3-p-m-live-class...highlands/
Collins 7
Highlands 0

6:16 to go in first.
Collins drives the ball 92 yards for the score and eats up half of the first qtr.

Collins to kick off....
Collins 7
Highlands 7

Highlands goes 66 yards easily to the end zone.

4:15 to go in 1st qtr.
  •  Previous
  • 3(current)
  • Next