Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Somerset 2012
JumperPride1 Wrote:While I agree that there was somewhat of a lack of discipline on last years team, I disagree that anything in the Whitley game was malicious, and the holy cross game was an emotional deal for some kids late. You're generalizing a program that is top ten in the state in all time wins, has 3peted in the region in both 3a and now 2a. Somerset has won 6 regions in the past decade. They have one title appearance in that same time frame. The Shs program has been consistently successful for a very long time (over 100 years of football). Somerset does of have the luxery of playing in south Cincinnati where the athletes are plentiful, but despite the title last year I would argue that that Somerset is a better program than holy cross. Succes is a measurement of consistency, and Somerset has been just that for a long time. One title doesn't make hc the end all be all... If this were coming from new cath I'd understand but please save me the lecture on how to run a successful program.
I agree 100% with your team history, thats why it is a suprise.
Norm Peterson Wrote:So where does he say anything about doing anything dirty or malicious? Last year's team was built on a physical running game and a hard hitting defense. He was saying to come out and play a punishing brand of football. Nothing more nothing less. Some seniors lost control of their emotions late in the game and picked up some personal fouls that should not have happened. However, he got them out of the game and at one point put in a senior offensive lineman on defense to calm the younger players on defense. If they were consistently playing like that where were all the personal fouls earlier in thee game. As for the ones that lost their composure, it should not have happened. However, the drunken idiots sitting outside the fence behind the Somerset bench yelling insults certainly contributed to the situation. Crossback you certainly seem to have a hard time getting over a game you guys won. I can tell you plenty of things that were said to our players and done to our players in the bottom of the pile by Holy Cross players as well. They are kids, that stuff happens--on all teams. I do know that the Somerset staff does not teach or condone dirty play.
Hard nose running and hitting defense is a good thing. Late hits, spearing and trying to break an ankle is none of those. somerset is big and strong. I am sure they can hit but that isnt what they did in the one game I saw them play in, or anything I have heard about them. I have no reason to get over the game, it was a good win.
Its pretty slow on here this time of year so I have something to chat about. Then add that my son saw a Somerset kid at a camp and thatvthe kid bragged about the dirty play and said it will be worse this year. Gave me insperation.
Somerset shoukd be good again this year no doubt, would just like to se them lose the sign of dirty play is all.
What does Somerset return from last year's team? the key word being returning, not adding on. we all know about tyson williams, but he can't win state by himself.
D. Line: T. Slaughter, B. Smith, K. Skidmore, J. Gilmore
LB: W. Hinton and B. Jones with addition of T. Williams
Safety: McGargell
DB's: W. Lange, C. Chevrount and D. Griffin
Defense should absolutely be loaded and I predict that the D Line will be the best in 2A!

Offense:
RB's: W. Lange, B. Jones and T. Slaughter
WR: C. Chevraunt (only one that I can think of)
O. Line: Not for sure (sorry).
Okay - i get it that your bored. Your comments are exhausting. It's football. I'm not saying somerset is completely faultless but do not act like every other team is innocent. No specifics but you know as good as anyone on here that EVERY team has certain incidents and certain players when this happens. It is an emotion field game filled with a bunch of kids playing with heart. Quit complaining. As many bad stories as someone might have about us I promise you we have some about you. NEW CONVERSATION anyone?
Okay - i get it that your bored. Your comments are exhausting. It's football. I'm not saying somerset is completely faultless but do not act like every other team is innocent. No specifics but you know as good as anyone on here that EVERYteam has certain incidents and certain players when this happens. It is an emotion field game filled with a bunch of kids playing with heart. Really quit complaining to us because as many bad stories as you might have we have our own but we're not whining and complaining on everyone else's blogs.Nas many bad stories as someone might have about us I promise you we have some about you. NEW CONVERSATION anyone?
I th
I think a large part of the issue graduated, so this conversation should end. Somerset had several teams that did the exact same thing to them and no one has said anything. You can tell them its wrong, but when you see a teammate getting chopblocked ( ahem, Glasgow) it's hard to get through to them that it's wrong.
jumper1 Wrote:D. Line: T. Slaughter, B. Smith, K. Skidmore, J. Gilmore
Defense should absolutely be loaded and I predict that the D Line will be the best in 2A!

Offense:

Offense returns skidmore, Wilson, and stambaugh up front. Slaughter, Lange (will), Bryson jones, will Hinton, chevy, Patrick Williams, basically the skill lost storm and Alex Lange. This group has the potential to be very very good, they all got stronger this off season, and I believe they'll b deadly on both sides of the football.
Has anyone seen a schedule with final dates?
playtowin Wrote:Has anyone seen a schedule with final dates?

Aug 11 Scrimmage @ Bourbon Co.
17 East Jessamine @ West Jessamine
24 Southwestern Home
31 Open
Sep 7 Hazard Home
14 Breathitt Co. Home
21 Glasgow Away
28 Whitley Co. Home
Oct. 5 Danville Away
12 Lexington Christian Home
19 Middlesboro Away
26 Perry Central Home
Nov. 2 1st Round Playoffs TBA:rockon:
Definitely a good schedule to gear the Jumpers up for the postseason.
Awesome thanks. Great schedule!
Should be a great year. The schedule is tough, but the majority of last years group is back in tact. Hopefully that experience will carry this now veteran Jumper group deep into the playoffs.
jumper1 Wrote:D. Line: T. Slaughter, B. Smith, K. Skidmore, J. Gilmore

Offense:

with all that talent, adding in the experience from last season, and having the semifinals in their neck of the woods, Somerset is in a great position to get to state.

Depth is always an issue in 1A and 2A, but my concern for Somerset is if they run into a team in the playoffs that can effectively keep their linemen fresh like Holy Cross did last year (nobody on the line played both ways), can the Jumpers big men go all 4 quarters effectively?

That's the only thing I see keeping them from a state title
JumperPride1 Wrote:Should be a great year. The schedule is tough, but the majority of last years group is back in tact. Hopefully that experience will carry this now veteran Jumper group deep into the playoffs.

This should be a great year for Jumper Football. Looking Fwd. to the Season. Just hold on, it will be here before you know it.
toussaints Wrote:with all that talent, adding in the experience from last season, and having the semifinals in their neck of the woods, Somerset is in a great position to get to state.

Depth is always an issue in 1A and 2A, but my concern for Somerset is if they run into a team in the playoffs that can effectively keep their linemen fresh like Holy Cross did last year (nobody on the line played both ways), can the Jumpers big men go all 4 quarters effectively?

That's the only thing I see keeping them from a state title

With the exception of slaughter the d-line and o-line will primarily play one way (skidmore is likely to start both ways but Gilmore will b the guy IMO defensively). Tevin is a two way player but has relief in jones and Griffith offensively. Point being, the jumpers have players that will play on both sides, but very few that will see starter minutes on both sides with quality depth in the secondary and d line positions. Could get interesting this year!
JumperPride1 Wrote:With the exception of slaughter the d-line and o-line will primarily play one way (skidmore is likely to start both ways but Gilmore will b the guy IMO defensively). Tevin is a two way player but has relief in jones and Griffith offensively. Point being, the jumpers have players that will play on both sides, but very few that will see starter minutes on both sides with quality depth in the secondary and d line positions. Could get interesting this year!

I agree I don't think Somerset will have to play a lot of people both ways. However in Ky. High School Football most Schools except for 6A some 5A and Highlands have to play 4 or 5 people both ways. Got to have best people on field to Win.
Watched somerset practice a couple times and watched 7 0n 7 last week. This team can be special. By way Tyson Williams practiced yesterday for first time. KHSAA ruled him Eligible.
Good news CK. Glad to be back on here boys, been away too long. Go Jumpers!
Cellking Wrote:I agree I don't think Somerset will have to play a lot of people both ways. However in Ky. High School Football most Schools except for 6A some 5A and Highlands have to play 4 or 5 people both ways. Got to have best people on field to Win.

Most 5A teams have to play players both ways.
Somerset will play in a 7 0n 7 at Western Hills HS tomorrow. Hope they play well.
Please post updates.
Saw in the Cats Pause where Somerset is projected to finish second in Class 2A District 7 behind Danville. I'm kind of surprised by that. Thoughts?
GetChili Wrote:Saw in the Cats Pause where Somerset is projected to finish second in Class 2A District 7 behind Danville. I'm kind of surprised by that. Thoughts?

Is Danville supposed to be quite a bit better than last year or something?
Every year Danville is "Back" and have been predicted to beat Somerset. This may be the year. Who wrote the district round up for TCP? It is normally written by one of the Danville writers.

In 2009 Somerset came into the game undefeated and Danville had struggled, but that was because Somerset hadn't played anyone and Danville was playing tougher competition "After all the Ads don't lose to Somerset"...result..Somerset 48-7...Danville ended 6-7 "A down year for the Ads"

In 2010 Somerset came into the game undefeated Danville was also undefeated out scoring first 3 opponents 115-14 "DANVILLE IS BACK, Somerset hasn't played anyone again, Last year was a fluke"...result Somerset 38-13 at Danville in a game that wasn't that close.

In 2011 Somerset came in 3-3, struggling losing 3 in a row...Danville was 5-1, in the same district now, "Danville doesn't lose district games"...result Somerset 23-6

2011 Playoffs Somerset 7-4 Danville 8-3, "Ads rolling, Jumpers reeling as they meet in second round"...results...Somerset 34-23

2012 Jumpers rebuilding, Ads favored to win the district...result...we'll see
GetChili Wrote:Saw in the Cats Pause where Somerset is projected to finish second in Class 2A District 7 behind Danville. I'm kind of surprised by that. Thoughts?

The Cats Pause predicted the exact same thing last season.

Have to consider the source on this one. Larry Vaught (sports writer for the Advocate) is Boyle County guy, Danville traditionally gets good marks in this particular magazine for this reason. Vaught runs in the same circle as the catspause crew, and has done some work for them on occasion. Just like the all state balloting in high school sports... They're a little bias/rigged. You get the "i'll vote for your guy if you vote for mine" effect in journalism as well. I'm not saying that Danville will be a push over by any means, but we in Somerset have heard the same tune for the past 4 years "Danville was young this year... But next year they'll be veteran and strong!" I'm not buying it till i see them come district play.
Jumper Dad Wrote:Every year Danville is "Back" and have been predicted to beat Somerset. This may be the year. Who wrote the district round up for TCP? It is normally written by one of the Danville writers.

In 2009 Somerset came into the game undefeated and Danville had struggled, but that was because Somerset hadn't played anyone and Danville was playing tougher competition "After all the Ads don't lose to Somerset"...result..Somerset 48-7...Danville ended 6-7 "A down year for the Ads"

In 2010 Somerset came into the game undefeated Danville was also undefeated out scoring first 3 opponents 115-14 "DANVILLE IS BACK, Somerset hasn't played anyone again, Last year was a fluke"...result Somerset 38-13 at Danville in a game that wasn't that close.

In 2011 Somerset came in 3-3, struggling losing 3 in a row...Danville was 5-1, in the same district now, "Danville doesn't lose district games"...result Somerset 23-6

2011 Playoffs Somerset 7-4 Danville 8-3, "Ads rolling, Jumpers reeling as they meet in second round"...results...Somerset 34-23

2012 Jumpers rebuilding, Ads favored to win the district...result...we'll see

With the Picks of past few years, I would like him picking Danville. Seems he has not been right too often, I don't think Danville has a player playing that has ever beaten Somerset in Football. Time will Tell!!!!
Somerset goes 3-2 in passing 7 0n 7. 1st game lost to Lex. team they beat by 3 td's last week, Somerset looked slow and still asleep. Won 3 in Rowm then lost to Collins a team with a lot of good players. Close game. One thing coming out of this I think the Fan's that were there now realize that Tyson Williams can catch the BALL. He looked Good. Somerset has a lot of people who catch the ball well. QB's Played pretty Well. All in All a good day.