Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reds 2, Braves 1
Todd Frazier still had his doubts as he headed toward first base if the ball would clear the wall.

“I knew I had a lot of it,” Frazier said. “At the same time, you’re hoping you have a lot more than that. I didn’t get all of it. Watching it round first, it just got over. Fine with me.”

Frazier’s drive did, indeed, just make if it out. But a 355-foot home run is still a home run. And Frazier’s shot with one out in the ninth lifted the Reds to a 2-1 victory over the Atlanta Braves before a crowd of 20,411 at Great American Ball Park.

The victory was a season-high fifth straight for the Reds, putting them five games over .500 for the first time this year.

It was first walk-off home run of the Frazier’s career.

“It felt good, especially the way I’ve been going,” Frazier said. “I was concentrating on getting on base. You couldn’t ask for anything better.”

Frazier has been struggling, hitting .184 since Scott Rolen went on the disabled list. Frazier was out of the lineup Tuesday to give him a chance to clear his head. He also spent some time with hitting coach Brook Jacoby

“I worked with Jacoby,” Frazier said. “We looked at a lot of video. I worked on putting more weight on my back foot. You can’t say that’s the reason. But it’s little things like that that he’s been helping me with. He understands. He’s been helping me a lot. Praise to him.”

Frazier was the hero, but pitching put the Reds in a position to win.

Bronson Arroyo went 62/3 2/3 innings and allowed one run on the four hits. He walked two and struck out seven. He threw 107 pitches, 66 strikes.

“I had good command of my sinker today,” Arroyo said. “(Brian) McCann and Chipper (Jones) not being in the lineup helped me out. It gave me more breathing room. I got some ground balls, some weak fly balls. It was a good outing.”

It was the fifth straight quality start for the Reds. The starters have 2.31 ERA over those five games.

Arroyo gave up a 432-foot home run to Dan Uggla to lead off the fourth. That run loomed pretty large with the way Tommy Hanson was handling the Reds lineup.http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20120...|text|Reds
Cleveland and Cincinnati are playing great ball!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
GAME NOTEBOOK: Braves 3B Chipper Jones (bruised calf) did not start for the fifth straight game, but drew a seventh-inning walk as a pinch hitter. … Atlanta C Brian McCann (illness) missed his second straight game. ... Bruce is mired in a 1-for-25 slump.
[HTML]
Team Hits HR TB Avg LOB K RBI BB SB Errors
Atlanta 4 1 9 .129 9 9 1 3 0 1
Cincinnati 6 1 9 .200 16 7 2 4 0 0
[/HTML]
5 in a row!!!! But freakin St. louis keeps pulling out Ws also! We can get past the freakin 1/2 game deficit!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Relax, all right? Don’t try to strike everybody out. Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they’re fascist. Throw some ground balls – it’s more democratic.”

Crash Davis
Todd Frazier!!!