Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If not Calipari, then who?
Stardust Wrote:Amen and Amen!

This thread was meant to bate fans like us in to an un-patriotic debate. No one has ever said that they wanted Cal to be replaced. When his time runs out, all who both like him and dislike him will be able to evaluate his tenure and decide what legacy he has left.

This kind of thread could just as easily be about the President. "If not Obama, then who?" Well it doesn't make any difference, right now Obama is the president, I don't like his principles and what he stands for, but that's my prerogative. Just as it is for those who support him and his policy.

No one is saying that Coach Cal should go - get it guys - NO ONE! But does the "Teflon Don" walk on water without criticism - No! Those who will worship him blindly and see nothing wrong, so be it. I think those who have criticized him have ALWAYS showed support for the program and have NEVER called for him to be let go. So this it really a senseless debate, which I for one am not debating!
:yawn:

I never once said that anyone said he was going anywhere, did I?

You and many others don't like Cal, all I ask is if not Cal then who do you realistically think we should have?

Off-topic: I honestly didn't even realize you where a UK fan until Calipari was hired, SD. I thought you where a Cincy fan and someone who liked to give UK fans a hard time when you had the opportunity.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:I never once said that anyone said he was going anywhere, did I?

You and many others don't like Cal, all I ask is if not Cal then who do you realistically think we should have?

Off-topic: I honestly didn't even realize you where a UK fan until Calipari was hired, SD. I thought you where a Cincy fan and someone who liked to give UK fans a hard time when you had the opportunity.

Like I said, this thread makes no more sense than asking who should be the president right NOW! It's not even worth me debating "Who", because it's irrelevant.

As for me being a UK fan, that's ridiculous that anyone who ever read my posts didn't think I was a UK fan. I have ALWAYS stated UK was my team! I've said it many times on here that I graduated from UC, but UK has always been my Basketball team. Just like the Miami Hurricanes are my favorite Football team, and Texas is my favorite Baseball team, etc.......
Stardust Wrote:Bull! I no more have to turn in my colors than those who HATED Billy Clyde now do I! I don't like Cal, but I grew my "hatred" for him before he ever came to UK. So, if I hated him as a coach, not a person, but as a coach before he came to UK, why should I now suck on his teet because he wear MY teams colors! Wouldn't that be a suck-up or insincere fan?

You are by far one of the worst debaters I've ever met. I'm just going to throw that out there first. If you believe this thread is to troll you then you were stupid enough to fall into it. John Calipari is a great coach and is the best option for UK. Any person could tell you that he is not the problem to blame for the road losses. Sure he's made a few mistakes, and this season hasn't went our way, but for no reason should he be even considered to be considered replaced. Freshmen will be freshmen, I have a feeling next season when Brandon Knight and other returning players, added with again the number 1 recruiting class in the nation, you'll see a much different team. More of 2009-10 season. With all that said, you have offered no insight on who should replace him. All you've done is complain about people who are complaining about the people who complain about Coach Cal haters. If you cant offer anything to the conversation then you probably shouldn't reply.

tl;dr: Make a suggestion on a new coach, or stop complaining.
Calipari is not and should not go anywhere. This is his job, he was made for this kind of job and he has done it well. That's just my opinion.
Real Badman Wrote:You are by far one of the worst debaters I've ever met. I'm just going to throw that out there first. If you believe this thread is to troll you then you were stupid enough to fall into it. John Calipari is a great coach and is the best option for UK. Any person could tell you that he is not the problem to blame for the road losses. Sure he's made a few mistakes, and this season hasn't went our way, but for no reason should he be even considered to be considered replaced. Freshmen will be freshmen, I have a feeling next season when Brandon Knight and other returning players, added with again the number 1 recruiting class in the nation, you'll see a much different team. More of 2009-10 season. With all that said, you have offered no insight on who should replace him. All you've done is complain about people who are complaining about the people who complain about Coach Cal haters. If you cant offer anything to the conversation then you probably shouldn't reply.

tl;dr: Make a suggestion on a new coach, or stop complaining.

Excuse me? Argue all you want, but making this personal and calling names will not be tolerated. You want to argue, go for it leave the personal insults out of it! I'm a big boy and can argue with anyone, but your intolerence to ANY member of this site will not be tolerated.

I never got into this to say who should replace him, and I laid out the reason I said I had no interest in the presumption that Cal should be replaced, so I could care less! If you want a name, then I vote for Eddie Sutton!:popcorn:
BlackcatAlum Wrote:Nope... I don't like fair-weathered fans.

I'm not accusing you of one though TRV. Wink
I'm not a fair weather fan, I always root for UK, win or lose. But I do expect more out of a UK coach than Cal can deliver. He isn't a good coach. I'll never be a Cal fan, win or lose.
Stardust Wrote:Excuse me? Argue all you want, but making this personal and calling names will not be tolerated. You want to argue, go for it leave the personal insults out of it! I'm a big boy and can argue with anyone, but your intolerence to ANY member of this site will not be tolerated.

I never got into this to say who should replace him, and I laid out the reason I said I had no interest in the presumption that Cal should be replaced, so I could care less! If you want a name, then I vote for Eddie Sutton!:popcorn:

1) I never directly called you a name. Simply retorted that you think this was a bait thread, and apparently you fell for it.

2) To get you worked up makes me wonder, can you dish it out? Or do you just say nonsense and hit around the points to seem important?

3) If you're offended in any way I apologize, somewhat.

4) You spelled intolerance wrong.

5) You think Eddie Sutton is a better coach. Thanks for the input.

6) Have a nice day (Y)
Where was all these threads at last year when we won the games bye 1 and 2 points. Cheer when the times are good, and hate when times are bad i guess?
Real Badman Wrote:1) I never directly called you a name. Simply retorted that you think this was a bait thread, and apparently you fell for it.

2) To get you worked up makes me wonder, can you dish it out? Or do you just say nonsense and hit around the points to seem important?

3) If you're offended in any way I apologize, somewhat.

4) You spelled intolerance wrong.

5) You think Eddie Sutton is a better coach. Thanks for the input.

6) Have a nice day (Y)

I can't argue that:popcorn:
I don't like Cal's style at all. But If this is a down year under Cal I will take it compared to what we had before.
Wildcatk23 Wrote:Where was all these threads at last year when we won the games bye 1 and 2 points. Cheer when the times are good, and hate when times are bad i guess?

So you didn't read them? There were at many times the questioning of the coaching last year, many times. And more often than not it was from the very fans that are arguing so diligently the "Pro" Calipari side. I won't call them out, so let's see if they admit it themselves; but the questioning of why leaving timeouts on the board, why not rest Wall, why not play a zone, those were posted in UK game threads last year many times. And that was for a team that only lost two games, so I guess not everyone has to be dissatisfied only when we are losing!
PaintsvilleTigerfan Wrote:I don't like Cal's style at all. But If this is a down year under Cal I will take it compared to what we had before.

Great post, you don't have to like his style, but you can still be a fan of the program and wish it well.

It's so funny to think that they who don't like Cal feel like that they want Cal to be unsuccessful. Bottom-line, if UK loses, we ALL lose! I've said many times, I could care less about what Cal does, as long as he puts banners in the rafters!
Stardust Wrote:So you didn't read them? There were at many times the questioning of the coaching last year, many times. And more often than not it was from the very fans that are arguing so diligently the "Pro" Calipari side. I won't call them out, so let's see if they admit it themselves; but the questioning of why leaving timeouts on the board, why not rest Wall, why not play a zone, those were posted in UK game threads last year many times. And that was for a team that only lost two games, so I guess not everyone has to be dissatisfied only when we are losing!

I recall you posting stuff and the USUAL CAL haters. Not the same people who are questioning him now. Its kind of pathetic to for people to say when we win its because of talent but when we lose its because of coaching. We have a very short bench with no help. If your gonna blame something on cal, blame it on the fact that he has us with an awful bench.
WHO said Cal should be replaced? I can't remember ever reading that on here. No matter who the coach for UK is, they will be pressure on him to win, and fans will always be complaining. But most UK fans have enough logic to know Cal is nowhere near the hot seat.
Wildcatk23 Wrote:I recall you posting stuff and the USUAL CAL haters. Not the same people who are questioning him now. Its kind of pathetic to for people to say when we win its because of talent but when we lose its because of coaching. We have a very short bench with no help. If your gonna blame something on cal, blame it on the fact that he has us with an awful bench.

So what do you recall? I'd really like to know what is different?

So give me an example that anyone said "WE LOST BECAUSE OF CAL". I really want you to find me a post from any member who said we lost because of Cal. I bet you can't. I bet you can find many posts where both Cal fans and non-Cal fans have had many reasons as to why the Cats have lost. There are even some members who claim the only possible way that UK can lose is by poor reffing.

I seem to think that you will see many things that all of us have said: youth; no depth; poor free-throw shooting; lazy defense; poor execution; no Kanter; poor clock management;

Again, I'm looking forward to the post where someone said that the Cats lost ONLY because of poor coaching!
Aslan Wrote:WHO said Cal should be replaced? I can't remember ever reading that on here. No matter who the coach for UK is, they will be pressure on him to win, and fans will always be complaining. But most UK fans have enough logic to know Cal is nowhere near the hot seat.

What's so funny is that there was a contingent of fans who hated Tubby, most everyone hated BCG, now there is a contingent who challenge Cal. And I can bet you, those who are not fans of Cal, have never said they wanted Cal replaced, nor were they ever saying that BCG or Tubby should be replaced.
Is cal a great recruiter? He is the godfather of that. I have my opinions on legal issues there though.
However can he coach? He couldnt coach the Miami heat or the lakers to the final 4. I think that was proven last year... However, hate him or love him, he needs to stay at UK. Simply because every time UK has a down season they cant fire the coach. It takes time to get the top. Will cal ever get there, well i dont think he will ever win a championship, he will ahve great "YOUNG" teams!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
IAJ
"IT'S ALL JESUS"
SD,

If you believe that I baited you or anyone else into a debate then I certainly caught a whopper.

I didn't bait anyone into anything, but many (NOT JUST THE FOLKS ON BGR) think that Cal isn't the right man for the job. I just wanted a logical answer from those on who we would be better with. That is all.

I still haven't even seen someone try to answer my question, because they know that there is no one else who can replace someone who brings that excitement back to Lexington. Sure we are going to lose and get upset from time-to-time, but who doesn't?

I absolutely HATED Gillispie his final year, but I heard about what he did to the players and I lost all respect for him then. Tubby was a great coach and a great recruiter for years, but it seemed like he no longer wanted to recruit NBA players and try to win with average players, which didn't work and UK was no longer a threat in the NCAA, ultimately we ran him out of Kentucky and the same is about to happen to him in Minnesota.

I'm not hear to convince anyone that they should like Cal or hate him, but I think he's perfect for Kentucky and he'll have us as a threat in the NCAA Tournament each season. That I can accept. I will criticize him and the players, however that will not make me dislike him or any player.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:SD,

If you believe that I baited you or anyone else into a debate then I certainly caught a whopper.

I didn't bait anyone into anything, but many (NOT JUST THE FOLKS ON BGR) think that Cal isn't the right man for the job. I just wanted a logical answer from those on who we would be better with. That is all.

I still haven't even seen someone try to answer my question, because they know that there is no one else who can replace someone who brings that excitement back to Lexington. Sure we are going to lose and get upset from time-to-time, but who doesn't?

I absolutely HATED Gillispie his final year, but I heard about what he did to the players and I lost all respect for him then. Tubby was a great coach and a great recruiter for years, but it seemed like he no longer wanted to recruit NBA players and try to win with average players, which didn't work and UK was no longer a threat in the NCAA, ultimately we ran him out of Kentucky and the same is about to happen to him in Minnesota.

I'm not hear to convince anyone that they should like Cal or hate him, but I think he's perfect for Kentucky and he'll have us as a threat in the NCAA Tournament each season. That I can accept. I will criticize him and the players, however that will not make me dislike him or any player.

LOL, no BCA, you never baited me into anything, because I already said it's not a debate. I've already said there is nothing to debate and I said why Wink
Stardust Wrote:LOL, no BCA, you never baited me into anything, because I already said it's not a debate. I've already said there is nothing to debate and I said why Wink

As for the Tubby thing, Tubby was told to clean up the recruiting. UK fans say Tubby stopped recruiting a certain style of player, well he was directed to clean up the image and bring in guys who had intelligence. He did that and then refused to look for Blue Chip guys who had both intelligence and skill. It was his stubbornness to not change back when the fans and ultimately the school demanded that he go back to what he was directed to move away from.
Ok, Mark Few is in a joke of a conference. If he was a coach in a coference like ours he would get rocked.
This is just a different year for Cal. Not as good as last years. But we are still a quality team. We need Coach Cal. If we got rid of him, there goes are recruiting! Next year we will be better. If we get these 5 star recruits that stay more then one year we will be amazing. Im talking rank number 1 here people!:Thumbs:
Stardust Wrote:So what do you recall? I'd really like to know what is different?

So give me an example that anyone said "WE LOST BECAUSE OF CAL". I really want you to find me a post from any member who said we lost because of Cal. I bet you can't. I bet you can find many posts where both Cal fans and non-Cal fans have had many reasons as to why the Cats have lost. There are even some members who claim the only possible way that UK can lose is by poor reffing.

I seem to think that you will see many things that all of us have said: youth; no depth; poor free-throw shooting; lazy defense; poor execution; no Kanter; poor clock management;

Again, I'm looking forward to the post where someone said that the Cats lost ONLY because of poor coaching!

I don't recall there being threads like this last year. I was meaning that the usual haters are still hating. Your point of view on him is still the same, And with more room of error this year you have your shot to fire your hate towards him and you have taken advantage of that.

And i have seen post from members saying we will never win these close games with CAL as coach. Post like "If he would have called a timeout we probably would have won.

It's easy to second guess his coaching when we loose the game. Had we won many of these threads wouldn't be here.

And although we have lost a few games on our own this year. We lost to Arkansas because no foul was called when they stole it from knight. Had that been called he goes to the line makes both free throws and their forced to shoot a hard 3. No other way to look at it. And the foul on Liggens was worst than that.

People say well if they done this we wouldn't to have relied on them calling that. But its still their job to call it. And no matter who we blame or cuss at are record is as it stands either way. Blame cal, refs, depth, either way Cal isn't even nowhere near a hot seat.
Ballers Wrote:Ok, Mark Few is in a joke of a conference. If he was a coach in a coference like ours he would get rocked.

If Mark Few was coaching in the SEC he would have a top team in the conference.
The man takes players that no one else wants and puts them in a system that they can compete in.
Look at his players that have went to the NBA.
Adam Morrison was player of the year and he isn't on a team right now.
Few was the ONLY coach in the nation that offered the kid a scholarship and he leads the nation in scoring.
Few can coach.
No matter what conference he is in.
Am I the only person that posted directly on-topic? lol
zaga_fan Wrote:Am I the only person that posted directly on-topic? lol

I agreed with Mark Few. If not this thread, one of the many like it, lol.

zaga_fan Wrote:If Mark Few was coaching in the SEC he would have a top team in the conference.
The man takes players that no one else wants and puts them in a system that they can compete in.
Few was the ONLY coach in the nation that offered the kid a scholarship and he leads the nation in scoring.
Few can coach.

Absolutely. If he was to go to a school like UK that has talent and not very good X's and O's, he would dominate the NCAA's. Tubby inherited a very talented team and because he brought in great in-game coaching, they won the title that Rick DID NOT WIN the year before.
LWC Wrote:I agreed with Mark Few. If not this thread, one of the many like it, lol.

Absolutely. If he was to go to a school like UK that has talent and not very good X's and O's, he would dominate the NCAA's. Tubby inherited a very talented team and because he brought in great in-game coaching, they won the title that Rick DID NOT WIN the year before.

You do realize that Derek Anderson was hurt right? He tore his ACL? And still went 1st Round 13th Pick.
Wildcatk23 Wrote:You do realize that Derek Anderson was hurt right? He tore his ACL? And still went 1st Round 13th Pick.

I think it was Bogans that got hurt on one of Tubby's best teams that cost them a shot at a title. Also, with college basketball as down as it is right now, if UK had Enes they might win it all. You gotta play with the hand that life deals you. I wish D.A. wasn't hurt for that game, because Rick might have got that other title, but he didn't.
LWC Wrote:I think it was Bogans that got hurt on one of Tubby's best teams that cost them a shot at a title. Also, with college basketball as down as it is right now, if UK had Enes they might win it all. You gotta play with the hand that life deals you. I wish D.A. wasn't hurt for that game, because Rick might have got that other title, but he didn't.

Lookie what i found lol.

For the purpose of this discussion I am attributing that loss to Arizona to the one factor that almost everyone in college basketball agreed on that year. If Derek Anderson does not get hurt and tear his ACL, the Cats are once again National Champions. And that my friends, triggers an entirely new reality, one where the world of the Kentucky Wildcats is completely different.

The Kentucky Wildcats with Derek Anderson run the table in the NCAA tournament. The game with Arizona is not even close and UK is once again crowned with it's 7th National Championship.
The teams are scrambling like crazy to get a piece of Rick Pitino, however C.M. Newton, seeing another UK dynasty in the making, makes Pitino the offer to become the highest paid coach in all of basketball, both College and Professional to stay at UK. Pitino accepts, and the Wildcats go on to win again in 1998. Pitino starts a recruiting run that gets him the very best players in the history of the program over the next 12 years, and he accomplishes much, including 3 more National Championships and a string of 15 straight SEC titles. Kentucky becomes the first team to 2000 wins in 2008, Pitino can boast of no less than 26 players in the NBA at one time, and is considered to be the greatest college basketball coach of all time. Kentucky becomes the elite of the elite in College Basketball having been in the final four an amazing 12 out of 14 years between 1996 and 2010. With Pitino's last National Championship coming in 2007, he is primed for another run in 2010.

http://www.wildcatbluenation.com/2010/12...at-if.html
zaga_fan Wrote:If Mark Few was coaching in the SEC he would have a top team in the conference.
Few can coach.
:Thumbs: