• 1(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Harlan County 2011
I know it's really early but I just can't help it. We've got a promising team and a new field on the way.

We lose 8 seniors all which made a lot of contributions to the team this year.
2nd in the District next to Perry Wink
HC and PCC for the region the bears take it all the way to bowling green!!!:popcorn:
Zaga, I said it was early and its really too early for your two cents! You sure are getting your hopes up early just to have them become Bear chow next fall!
Heard around town and barber shop that Coach Larkey interviewed today for Bell County, then someone mentioned he had not been at the school today either...
Gummie Bear Wrote:Heard around town and barber shop that Coach Larkey interviewed today for Bell County, then someone mentioned he had not been at the school today either...

Did you get your hair cut in that barber shop?
Boo Boo bear Wrote:HC and PCC for the region the bears take it all the way to bowling green!!!:popcorn:

I wouldn't count my chickens.

I think the Black Bears will be good, but they have some holes to fill, especially in the trenches, which is where their success was produced last season. They will definitely have an easier road in the playoffs this season, but I don't know if they will be able to reproduce what they did last season.

The good news is that the Black Bears have young talent, and will keep winning games, in my opinion. I saw the basketball team play a week or so ago, and, from the looks of things, they are going to be just as loaded as the football team, and for years to come. I'm glad to see Harlan Co. teams doing so well. Now, if we could just get those test scores to rise a little...
Gummie Bear Wrote:Heard around town and barber shop that Coach Larkey interviewed today for Bell County, then someone mentioned he had not been at the school today either...

I have a hard time believing that, but nothing surprises me. It would be a shorter drive for his sons to coach the team during the playoffs! LOL! Just kidding! I think Larkey stays put for a few more years.
Coach was not at school today, but I assure you he was not at Bell County High School either. Just a matter of coincidence. People are really taking this rumor and running with it.
football is wayyyyy ahead of basketball and will be just as good if not better next year.as far as test scores i agree.
Boo Boo bear Wrote:football is wayyyyy ahead of basketball and will be just as good if not better next year.as far as test scores i agree.

Relatively speaking, I think basketball is just as talented, but takes more time to develop. Jones is as good a basketball coach as Larkey is a football coach, so I think, ultimately, their success will be relatively the same.

It is much easier to win a state title in football than it is in basketball. Even though I am a football guy, I think the postseason format used for basketball is a lot more difficult - one champion compared to six champions. A regional title for a basketball team is a lot different than a regional title for a football team.

Fortunately for Harlan Co., I think both teams can compete for regional titles, year in and year out.
LivingTheDream Wrote:I have a hard time believing that, but nothing surprises me. It would be a shorter drive for his sons to coach the team during the playoffs! LOL! Just kidding! I think Larkey stays put for a few more years.
LARKEYis the coach you could say that about the basketball team also.:Thumbs:
zaga_fan Wrote:2nd in the District next to Perry Wink

Wow, that sounds familiar, kinda like 10-0.

I think not....:lmao:
LivingTheDream Wrote:I have a hard time believing that, but nothing surprises me. It would be a shorter drive for his sons to coach the team during the playoffs! LOL! Just kidding! I think Larkey stays put for a few more years.

His sons don't coach the team during the playoffs. They come to support their dad. Hopefully they'll be in the playoffs themselves next year.

Edit: just now noticed the kidding part.
Boo Boo bear Wrote:LARKEYis the coach you could say that about the basketball team also.:Thumbs:

I was just kidding (mostly) about his sons coaching. But, it is different than Jones' son coaching on the basketball team. Larkey's sons coach at another school and then come to Harlan when their team's season is over.

I just feel bad for the HC assistants. I know I would be upset if I had worked hard all year, and then they move in and coach. But, who am I to say? It has worked for them, so far.
LivingTheDream Wrote:I was just kidding (mostly) about his sons coaching. But, it is different than Jones' son coaching on the basketball team. Larkey's sons coach at another school and then come to Harlan when their team's season is over.

I just feel bad for the HC assistants. I know I would be upset if I had worked hard all year, and then they move in and coach. But, who am I to say? It has worked for them, so far.

Again, they stand on the sideline. They don't coach. No need to feel sorry for anyone. They are just there supporting their father. The other coaches do just fine on their own. They don't come during the week. How can you coach just on Friday night. What would you assume their role is? Mikey Clem stands on the sideline, but he does not coach. Just because you are out there means nothing. I am starting to see your MO. You are just trying to stir stuff. I am confident all the assistants are comfortable enough in their own roles that the two sons can come stand on the sideline.
Yogibear Wrote:Again, they stand on the sideline. They don't coach. No need to feel sorry for anyone. They are just there supporting their father. The other coaches do just fine on their own. They don't come during the week. How can you coach just on Friday night. What would you assume their role is? Mikey Clem stands on the sideline, but he does not coach. Just because you are out there means nothing. I am starting to see your MO. You are just trying to stir stuff. I am confident all the assistants are comfortable enough in their own roles that the two sons can come stand on the sideline.

yeah there stirring fast the season just ended.the reply is right on the money
I believe that Harlan Co will repeat as district champs with Perry and Whitley battling it out for 2nd.
Aslan Wrote:I believe that Harlan Co will repeat as district champs with Perry and Whitley battling it out for 2nd.

Letcher has to be better, don't you think? Surely. I think it will be a good battle all around this year.
LivingTheDream Wrote:I was just kidding (mostly) about his sons coaching. But, it is different than Jones' son coaching on the basketball team. Larkey's sons coach at another school and then come to Harlan when their team's season is over.

[SIZE="3"]Wow!...That's so nutty, you must be part SQUIRREL!....:lmao:

Our coaching staff does their job very well!....And there is no way in "Hades" they'd let Larkey's sons come in and take over!...It flat out didn't happen!

Yeah his sons came to the games, even stood by their Dad, may have helped as spotters too....But they never took over anything!
[/SIZE]
Yogibear Wrote:Letcher has to be better, don't you think? Surely. I think it will be a good battle all around this year.

Your probably right. It will be a dog fight for second place but I think Harlan is head and shoulders above the rest of there district comrades.

The sons were there for support of their dad, not coaching.
you must be out of your mind.if you think the basketball team is on the same level as the football team. they need to worry about winning games,then worrying about who isnt playing.
Aslan Wrote:I believe that Harlan Co will repeat as district champs with Perry and Whitley battling it out for 2nd.

I hope Whitley is battling for atleast a second place finish but at this poit im not sure.
A lot of young kids are going to have to step up in order for this to happen and i just dont know if we will get there next year after losing so much after the past few seasons.
I look for Harlan to be the favorite however i dont believe perry and letcher are to far behind.
Patriot Wrote:Zaga, I said it was early and its really too early for your two cents! You sure are getting your hopes up early just to have them become Bear chow next fall!

love this!...:lmao:
Yogibear Wrote:Again, they stand on the sideline. They don't coach. No need to feel sorry for anyone. They are just there supporting their father. The other coaches do just fine on their own. They don't come during the week. How can you coach just on Friday night. What would you assume their role is? Mikey Clem stands on the sideline, but he does not coach. Just because you are out there means nothing. I am starting to see your MO. You are just trying to stir stuff. I am confident all the assistants are comfortable enough in their own roles that the two sons can come stand on the sideline.

HAT51 Wrote:The sons were there for support of their dad, not coaching.

I have no dog in the fight, and I'm not trying to stir up anything. I was just wondering how people felt about it. I'm really giving an outsider's opinion. I actually think Larkey is a great coach, and his sons seem to do a find job, as well. I don't know any of the assistants on Harlan Co., though.

DaBears Wrote:you must be out of your mind.if you think the basketball team is on the same level as the football team. they need to worry about winning games,then worrying about who isnt playing.

Can I not make a positive remark about the school without you shooting it down? The success of both programs have to be looked differently. It is more difficult to be successful in basketball. That is all that I was saying.

However, I would like for you to explain your last sentence. What do you mean, "worrying about who isn't playing?" Jones has been successful everywhere he has been, and I'm pretty sure winning is his first priority. I'm sure he isn't worried about who plays for him and who isn't.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Wow, that sounds familiar, kinda like 10-0.

I think not....:lmao:

I never said Perry was goin 10-0
Patriot Wrote:Zaga, I said it was early and its really too early for your two cents! You sure are getting your hopes up early just to have them become Bear chow next fall!

Well if it's too early for me to post on a Harlan thread maybe you should close it.
LivingTheDream Wrote:I have no dog in the fight, and I'm not trying to stir up anything. I was just wondering how people felt about it. I'm really giving an outsider's opinion. I actually think Larkey is a great coach, and his sons seem to do a find job, as well. I don't know any of the assistants on Harlan Co., though.

Can I not make a positive remark about the school without you shooting it down? The success of both programs have to be looked differently. It is more difficult to be successful in basketball. That is all that I was saying.

However, I would like for you to explain your last sentence. What do you mean, "worrying about who isn't playing?" Jones has been successful everywhere he has been, and I'm pretty sure winning is his first priority. I'm sure he isn't worried about who plays for him and who isn't.
Why are you talking about basketball in a football tread?all i'm saying he needs to worry about the kids that are there and not the ones that isnt.:igiveup:
LivingTheDream Wrote:I have no dog in the fight, and I'm not trying to stir up anything. I was just wondering how people felt about it. I'm really giving an outsider's opinion. I actually think Larkey is a great coach, and his sons seem to do a find job, as well. I don't know any of the assistants on Harlan Co., though.

It is no more difficult to win a region in basketball than football. That's crazy talk. If anything it is easier. You only have to win one game to make a regional tournament. I'd equate winning a district in football in fact to winning the region in basketball. Getting to the semis in football about like getting to the final four or eight in bball. Winning it all is winning it all. When single A schools can win the sweet 16 it can't be that difficult. In football Class A teams could never beat the top 6 A teams. Just a matter of opinion I guess.
  • 1(current)
  • Next